Start by marking “A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)

A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby #6)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  309 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the heart of the leafy Cotswolds a body is found. A teenage girl, probably local, somebody's daughter who went out one evening and didn't come back. It is not long before she is identified: fifteen-year-old Lynne Wills who habitually drank underage in 'The Silver Bells' pub and, one the night of her death, was seen leaving with an unknown man.

Chief Inspector Markby's fr
Paperback
Published October 6th 1994 by Headline (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Place for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Place for Death

Damaskcat
Apr 30, 2016 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meredith has been befriended by a young girl - Katie Conway - who attended Meredith's talk to her youth club about her travels abroad. Meredith doesn't feel she's really cut out to be agony aunt to a teenager but she feels sorry for the girl as she doesn't seem to get much sympathy and understanding from her family. Then another young girl disappears and is found dead and Bamford starts to feel threatened. DCI Alan Markby - Meredith Mitchell's friend - is investigating the murder.

When it seems t
Christine Cody
Jul 20, 2015 Christine Cody rated it really liked it
This is the sixth book in the very entertaining Mitchell and Markby series. Now that Meredith has purchased her own home, this book introduces many more of the eccentric and lovable residents of Bamford. In fact, the novel ends with a charming scene between two people at least a few decades older than Meredith and Alan. I wish this series were even longer than it is, but I'll enjoy it while I can.
Gary Van Cott
In this book Meridith Mitchell has moved back to Bamford and as usual gets involved in DCI Markby's cases. I have decided that the reason I don't like this series more, is that the main characters are too one-dimensional. Neither of them seems to have any significant problems except with their relationship with each other. Markby would like to marry Mitchell while she, after resisting any significant relationship at all in the first few book (without any reason given to the reader) is now agains ...more
Kim
Dec 09, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Carol
Dec 10, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
This is #6 in the series and I enjoy the characters in the book and the stories don't have language and have interesting twists to the plot that keep me guessing. 2 young girls are murdered in the small Cotswold village, are they related with the same killer or two different killers and different reasons??? And my question is will Meredirth and Chief Inspector Markby ever get married???
Gloria Mccracken
Jun 26, 2013 Gloria Mccracken rated it really liked it
This is about the third in a good solid British series. It combines aspects of the good old village cozy, a police procedural, and a light dose of relationship. I have about a zillion of the series, which I have found here and there,since many of them are out of print. And I'm looking forward to reading all of them.
Lisa C
Nov 19, 2012 Lisa C rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, audiobook
I was hoping that this would be another of Granger's historical novels. My disappointment never really came to fruition though, as I was drawn in by her interesting characters and solid pacing. I'm very glad that I branched out, as I enjoyed this work as much as her historical mysteries, and now I have a new author to devour.
Carmen
Feb 04, 2009 Carmen rated it really liked it
Two teenage girls are killed. Is it a serial killer, or just two unrealted murders? Even though they discover that both girls worked as hookers, the murders end up not being related. Throw in an eccentric kind of nuts woman and a woman scorned and you have an interesting story.
June
Mar 06, 2016 June rated it liked it
story fine not exciting but solid enough markby and Mitchell's relationship slow
Nancy Wilson
Oct 12, 2014 Nancy Wilson rated it really liked it
The series is taking on a more of a settle--less wanderer air about it--more stable characters and situations have been added--4 deaths--at least 3 murders and again one goes unresolved.
Vivian
Dec 10, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it
I listened to this slow moving but enjoyable book on audio CD. This is a new to me author whose other books in this series I will likely seek out in the future. Very good writing, story line and sense of place,
Julie
another good one. a bit darker than the others. but this author is very consistent. i like the way she delves into her characters with a bit of psychology, and yet does it very unobtrusively.
Theresa Sivelle
Aug 19, 2010 Theresa Sivelle rated it really liked it
This is another one I listened to on a recent road trip. I enjoyed the characters and the story. I kept thinking it was done and then something else would happen.
Linda
Jul 30, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
2 girls disappear in separate incidents. Is there a serial killer on the loose in this small English village? Interesting police procedural.
Dustin
May 21, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lesley
Sep 29, 2009 Lesley rated it liked it
Good entry into this solid British police procedural series. I'm slowly making my way through this series.
Julie
May 06, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
very good crime scene and characters; a truly enjoyable book.
Ingrid
Sep 26, 2015 Ingrid rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one.
Lori
Dec 21, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
best one yet in this series.
Lisa Peterson
Lisa Peterson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Mandy Smith
Mandy Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
Apr 03, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Paul Harding
Paul Harding rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Mary A
Mary A marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Jamey Gibbs
Jamey Gibbs rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Jan
Jan added it
Mar 10, 2016
  • The Fingerprint (Miss Silver, #30)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3)
  • Equinox
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Bishop at the Lake (Blackie Ryan, #16)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • Szajka bez końca
  • Queen of the Mersey
  • Through My Eyes
  • Set In Stone
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
  • Call the Dead Again (Mitchell and Markby Village, #11)