Start by marking “Gateway Drug” as Want to Read:
Gateway Drug

Gateway Drug

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The first hit is free, and then there's no turning back. Ten tales of horror and suspense from bestselling author Scott Nicholson.

A boy learns the true and terrible price of love. A man learns that fast cars and fast women don't mix, even when they're dead. An artist has an unhealthy obsession with his latest masterpiece. Collected from the pages of Cemetery Dance, Norther
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Haunted Computer Books (first published January 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gateway Drug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gateway Drug

Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 16, 2014 Bark's Book Nonsense marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Free today for the Kindle HERE.
eden Hudson
Aug 19, 2014 eden Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Honestly, I think pound-for-pound, story-for-story Nicholson is a better horror writer than Stephen King. I'm a huge King fan—the very last person in the world to trash talk him—but the stories in Gateway Drug turned me into an even bigger Nicholson fan. The way Nicholson uses language is mesmerizing and his stories vary from hilariously sick (sickly hilarious?) to heartbreaking. The stories by Tim Lebbon and Shane Jiraiya Cummings definitely held their own, but Nicholson's were by far my favori ...more
David Caldwell
This collection of short stories could be labeled as horror or thriller or something in between those two. They are dark and often disturbing. They are also well written. There is a little more language than I would prefer but it seems that is the norm for this type of story now. I found them more disturbing than scary for the most part. They don't have a lot of gore though. It is usually the subject matter that disturbed me, like a young boy torturing animals to death. So while I can appreciate ...more
Gayle
Oct 29, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to amazon.com to write a review and saw that the only reviews already there had given this book five stars.
Why am I not surprised?
I've read a few of Scott Nicholson's stories and I love the way he writes, but to have a collection of
them that kept me moving from page to page with hardly a pause in between, has been
a true delight.
I'm in the Halloween spirit after reading these stories dealing with death in every form you can imagine.
I have to say my favorite is "Sung Li", the story of
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No need to go into how much I like Scott Nicholson's writing so I'll go to the highlights:

In the Family--
Dark story about not wanting to let something go

The Cutting Room--
This is just one of those make your skin crawl stories about the supernatural. One of the longest in the book and probably one of the best. Have to keep my eye out for Shane Jiraiya Cummings' other works.

Sung Li--
Possessed china doll? Or a kid making up a story? Creepy. Nuff said.

The Devil's Doormen--
The most twisted in the bun
Daniel J. Weber
As seems to be the case with many short story collection, some of the stories were better than others. I particularly loved "Timing Chains of the Heart" and "Hounds of Love." Coincidentally, these are the first and final stories in the collection. The descriptions are rich and believably personified while the stories and chocked full of suspense. Nicholson has a good handle on how to use words to draw the reader in, and not let them go until the story is finished... if even then.
Brian Bigelow
Feb 01, 2014 Brian Bigelow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This set of stories is a good introduction to Scott's work. There are a lot good bits of the gory and macabre throughout. I really found it rather entertaining and many of the endings weren't what I expected. I'll give the author kudos.
Stacy
Jan 23, 2014 Stacy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin by saying thank God this was free. I am sure that was the only reason I bought it because I hate short stories! I must not have even read what the book was about. Did not enjoy it at all!!!!! Skimmed the majority of it.
Candice Mckinney
Oct 25, 2014 Candice Mckinney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gateway Drug is a collection of short stories. I enjoy short stories and most of these are really good.
notRahimeanymore
Apr 17, 2011 notRahimeanymore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had read the first and especially third stories before other things by Scott Nicholson (the third story wasn't written by him, actually, but being in the book I would have associated it) I would have run screaming. Since I had read other things and liked them, I kept reading and did enjoy the book. Just a warning for anyone else who (like me) finds themselves not into the third story at all.
Leslie Whitaker
Nov 08, 2011 Leslie Whitaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott never ceases to amaze me!! His collection of stories that send that little shiver up your spine! I found myself reading one story then the next and before I knew it I finished the book! I love Scott's books and have become a big fan of his. I look forward to reading another of his great books as I work my way through his collection of work.
Chuck
Kitschy horror reminiscent of sub-par episodes of the tv series "Tales from the Darkside". I made it through 3 of the stories before deciding to discontinue reading this collection.
Rowan MacBean
There are ten stories in this collection. I enjoyed three of them. Two of those three were the ones written by guest authors, not Scott Nicholson.
Mandy
Nov 29, 2011 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Super ick! Wouldn't read past the first story. Stupid, nightmare fodder. Wish I hadn't paid for it, even if it was a Kindle special.
Sheri White
Feb 18, 2011 Sheri White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of short stories. Review to come via The Bag and the Crow.
AH
Jun 20, 2012 AH marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kindle free download 6/20/12.
Crystal Burkey
Crystal Burkey marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
michael  johnston
michael johnston rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
MLW
MLW rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
nancy herbrand
nancy herbrand marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Mommacat
Mommacat marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Biscay
Biscay marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cursed! (With Bonus Material!)
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • The Novellas
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • 13 Drops of Blood
  • Symbios
  • Help! Wanted: Tales of On-The-Job Terror
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • Air
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...