Start by marking “The Thirteenth Gift” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Gift

The Thirteenth Gift

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  54 reviews
While on assignment in Eastern Europe, Claire, a U.S. journalist, learns of a local legend. The deceptively simple fable about the thirteenth gift has a profound effect on Claire, which soon transforms her marriage, her work, and the way she sees the world. The Thirteenth Gift is both a cautionary tale and an inspirational fable as it shows a way through the perilous conse ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Featherfew

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteenth Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteenth Gift

Kayla Eklund
The Thirteenth Gift is an inspirational tale. It's a story within a story. The story is about a king and queen who leave their kingdom for a while. The queen is trying to prove to the king that everyone in the kingdom has gifts, not just royalty as they previously thought. The Thirteenth Gift is the one that can save the kingdom.

This book taught me a lot of things. It taught me to always be grateful for what I have. The Thirteenth Gift also taught me not to get so caught up in life that I forge
Lori Henrich
This was an ok quick read. I just kept thinking that I get the same thing from my faith in Christ. I don't need to carry a stone to remind me that everyone has gifts from God.
April
Readers of this book will gain two stories in one. The main character, Claire, is finding that the majority of her time is spent far away on writing jobs, and less spent with her family. It isn't until she hears a fable about "the thirteenth gift" that she begins to re-evaluate her priorities. Claire is easy to relate to, in that most find that life has too many distractions, and not enough time to sit back and reflect on the "gifts" we are given at birth, such as wonderment, imagination, and jo ...more
Jill
"The Thirteenth Gift" by Charlene Constanzo is told as a story within a story, all presented in the neat little package of a story that is less than 70 pages long (not including the afterward, discussion guide, etc). It makes for a short read, I didn't time myself but it probably took me right around an hour to read the whole book.
I think to really grasp the impact of this story, one may need to be familiar with Constanzo's other works. I myself was not very impressed, but this is also the only
Grady
A Little Book of Wonder

Charlene Costanzo writes with her hear and soul. That is in no way to say that she is not a gifted wizard of words: her style of writing finds that delicate balance of conveying tender thoughts that are available for readers of all stages of sophistication, but she also writes prose that is elegant and touches on philosophy and spiritual thinking in a manner few other authors of this genre are capable of competing!

Claire is a successful journalist who travels around the g
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Just after the birth of one of my children I was given "The Twelve Gifts of Birth". It has been well loved and well read. I came across a chance to review "The Thirteenth Gift" and jumped at the opporunity to read this novella.

"The Thirteenth Gift" recaps The Twelve Gifts and adds to it. The story is told within a story. Claire is visiting Bratislava for business when she comes across an older woman who tells her the story of a country that has long since ceased to be. The Godmothers proclaim th
Robert Beveridge
Charlene Costanzo, The Thirteenth Gift (Feverfew, 2011)

I am not a fan of that new-age sort of inspirational novel that seems to go over so well with the crowd. In fact, over the past twenty years, I've read a grand total of two of them (James Redfield's The Celestine Prophecy and Deepak Chopra's The Return of Merlin). I found both pretty mediocre, but what really horrified me was the way perfect strangers, or co-workers with whom I had never shared a single word, would suddenly come up and start
Abbie Riddle
Stones - simple stones of varying shapes and sizes, colors and texture - Stored in boxes, and drawers or carried in pockets. What causes us to lean over as we walk down a beach or on a trail in the woods to pick up these small things? This story explores this very thing.

Claire is a traveling journalist on assignment overseas while her marriage disinegrates on home soil. In her pursuit of her career she has neglected those things most dear. During a drive in the country she is invited into the h
Hattie
The Thirteenth Gift by CHARLENE COSTANZO is a novella. While reading it, I was reminded of Aesop's Fables. This time instead of animals there are beautiful stones. The kind of stones we see every day. Temptation makes me walk and push one of these stones along the street. Then, I like to put one in my pocket or hold it tightly in my hand until reaching home. I did wish the author had spent more time talking about the stones and linking the spiritual gifts to the stones. I thought the stones beca ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
On assignment in Eastern Europe the main character in this novella fnds herself looking at her life at a very pivitol moment in time. Her marriage is suffering.... her childen want her to come home to be with them.... she has been offered yet another assignment which she accepted without discussing with her husband. As she finishes up her current assignment early she decides to surprise her family by coming home. She tries to get a flight and must wait yet one more day so she makes a small excur ...more
Booksintheburbs
This is a short-story that tells a fable within a story. Claire is a reporter and is away on an assignment when she learns of a local legend. After hearing this story, Claire is transformed and it changes her relationship with her husband, her career goals, and her outlook on life. The fable in this story reminds me of Sleeping Beauty, where the fairies grant gifts to the princess. However, Charlene Costanzo takes it one step further and shows us how we can apply that story to our lives today. W ...more
Linda
I really don't know how to describe this book. I guess it's considered a book that makes you think about your life. There's a busy, journalist, who supposedly loves her family, but rarely has time for them, a Baba with a story to tell. Sometimes it takes the least little thing to make us aware of things around us. This is a short story, but it's powerful. It makes you take stock of your life, and what you might want to change. It's very thought provoking, with an Afterword that leads you into a ...more
Tami
There once was a land where only the royals were endowed with gifts such as strength, beauty, compassion, hope, joy, talent, imagination, reverence wisdom, love, and faith. Or so it seemed. For the twelve wise women who bestowed such gifts knew the truth. These gifts weren’t just for royals, all people had these gifts.

The Thirteen Gift shares the wisdom of this sweet little tale. It all starts with a stone. A memory, a symbol of a knowing that brings that simple wisdom to the surface.
Shannon McGee

This story had me from beginning to end. As the journalist struggles family and work she experience a spiritual walk where she learns a story of The Thirthteen Gift.

I magical and inspiration and very short read. One I want to read again and again just for comfort and/or hope. There is so much the journalist learn in such a short time and from one local folk story.

Definitely not a book I want to part with any time soon.
Kitty
This is just a nice little fairy tale with a positive message about using the natural gifts we all possess. It didn't absolutely blow me away, and I doubt it will seriously change my life, but I like stories that focus on the positive side of things, as this one does. It's the perfect little reminder that we are all special, and we are all capable of great things.
Margaret Metz
This was a very sweet story about recognizing the gifts in everyone and appreciating them. It also talked about taking time to appreciate family and make sure your priorities are what they should be - and that you're really using your time and talents the right way. It was a thoughtful, short-but-good story within a story.
Cathy
Free for Kindle.
Short story about family and learning new things about yourself.
Told through a fable heard from an old peasant woman. The 12 gifts are given at birth. They include, among other things, imagination and courage. The 13th gift comes later and you have to see and recognize it.
Interesting.
Becky
I would probably actually give this book a 2.5 star rating if I could. First book by Costanzo that I have read and didn't realize it was a short story. It wasn't terrible, but didn't leave me breathless after reading it either. A nice little story about finding the positives in people.
Grandia-est
A wisdom for life. The brief story reminds us of the gifted characters we own by birth.

However it is just another life story. That's why I take 1 star off.

As a short story, it is worth your time to read and think about what information the author tried to convey.
Lara
The thirteenth gift is an inspirational book that is short and to the point. It reminds you to look for the good in everyone that you come across. Everyone is born with the same gifts, we just need to be open to seeing them in one another.
Juliette
Super quick read. An inspirational parable on the gifts we're all born with. Not necessarily a religious story, no mention of Jesus or God (at least I don't remember it). Seems to be an intro to a series of true stories.
Karla
This was a free book and a short one, which inspired me to read it. I'm glad I did. I didn't know what to expect and I never read the first book (I had no idea it was a series) but it was pleasantly uplifting.
Kellie Barlow
This is a cute little fairy tale about the gifts we're all born with, and how our awareness and understanding of them can affect the way they are used. (Thanks for lending this to me , Melissa)
A fairytale story that reminds us that each of us have amazing gifts and abilities not decided by class or circumstance. It was a story that lacked much depth but still had some good ideas.
Sharon
I really enjoyed this short story. I especially loved the story within the story. It's definitely one that I will be reading to MJ soon, and repeatedly. It's a good lesson to remember.
Sherri
I enjoyed this book and the things it made me think about, especially about myself. Not a self help book or anything like that ~ but thought provoking.
Ren
Will read this to my kids! Great for school, even Sunday school! Lots of biblical references without being overly "obvious"! Very inspirational and true!
Claudia
This short book is like two stories in one. Makes me think and I will go back to read it again. Many questions after the end of the book to think about.
Karen
This book was OK, not what I expected. I did enjoy the legend, but I didn't see how it transformed the author's life or where the "13" comes in.
although it is a nice little fable not overly inspiring to me. I guess just a reminder to use our gifts is the only inspiration I got from this.
  • The Second Ward
  • Signs and Wonders
  • Beyond the Quiet
  • The Days of Summer
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Friend Request
  • Clear Blue Sky
  • It Happens Every Spring
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo (Toronto, #1)
  • Veiled Freedom
  • All Different Kinds of Free
  • Sweetie
  • The Prisoner in the Third Cell
  • All Through the Night
Charlene Gorda Costanzo is an award-winning author, workshop facilitator, wife, mother of two adult daughters, and grandmother of twins. She holds a B.A. in Philosophy from St. Bonaventure University and an M.A. in Spiritual Psychology from the University of Santa Monica.

Originally from New Jersey, she has resided in New York, Texas, Arizona, and Florida. During a one-year book tour to launch The
More about Charlene Costanzo...
The Twelve Gifts of Birth The Twelve Gifts for Healing The Twelve Gifts in Marriage Touchstones: Stories for Living The Twelve Gifts The Twelve Gifts of Birth