Start by marking “Don't Ever Change” as Want to Read:
Don't Ever Change

Don't Ever Change

Don’t Ever Change is a stand alone short story.
High school was a time of fond memories for Lori. Twenty three years later, she’s back in town for her mother’s funeral. Not wanting to deal with family right away after a long drive, she roams around town, only to find herself in front of her old school.
On a whim, she decides to sneak through a hole in the fence and take a l
ebook, 1st, 18 pages
Published February 24th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Don't Ever Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Ever Change

george
I loved the premise of this short story -- a woman returns to her high school 23 years after she graduates to find Adam, a fellow classmate. Only Adam hasn't changed. At all. He's still18 with acne, the same parachute pants and letterman jacket. Everyone wrote in his yearbook, "Don't ever change." And he didn't.

Somewhere around page five the enticing premise became horror. Literal horror with excessive violence and horror that a story with so much promise turned bad so quickly. Not impressed.
Wendy
Jul 31, 2011 Wendy rated it did not like it
This was a blissfully short story. I liked the premise of someone being stuck in high school, but the writing was high school level, and the ending was very weak. There was some gratuitous violence and obvious exposition, and the initial potential the story had was ruined after the protagonist leaves the school.

Luckily, the Kindle version was free on Amazon, and it didn't take me long to read.
Michele
Synopsis:

High school was a time of fond memories for Lori. Twenty three years later, she's back in town for her mother's funeral. Not wanting to deal with family right away after a long drive, she roams around town, only to find herself in front of her old school.
On a whim, she decides to sneak through a hole in the fence and take a look around. The last thing she expected was to find a classmate from long ago. Even more shocking was the fact that he hadn't changed even a little bit; right down
Chris
Jan 05, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This was an interesting premise. In the description it talks about how terrifying it would be if we never changed. If one person was stuck in the same moment forever it could be absolutely frustrating and possibly terrifying. In this short story Adam has not changed one day since he was a senior in high school. HE is forced to live the same year over and over never being able to leave town, or even change his clothes.

This short is not written as part of the stories for demented children series
Marie
Jun 29, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shudderingly Creepy.
It takes real talent to use a common setting that every one of us is at least vaguely familiar with and turn it into a chilling story that will grab your brain periodically and worry "did I possibly do that to anyone?"

Lori was a popular girl in high school, mostly because she was nice to everyone. Back in town 23 years later for her mother's funeral, she will learn first hand how innocent-seeming actions from the high-school years can have devastating consequences.

Don't read
Nenette
This is like an episode in the Twilight Zone - a short story about a high school nerd who never moved on, literally. I like the way the story was structured; it was straightforward enough to still keep the reader guessing of what would happen in the end.

The author has a lot of short stories to his credit, but the theme is mostly for young readers. They're free so sucker me would still get and read them :-)
Teresa Garcia
Feb 21, 2013 Teresa Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This one actually managed to creep me out. I have some good memories of high school, but I would not want to be stuck as a high school student forever and my father possibly having become a zombie due to some curse.

I also never use "don't ever change" any more due to reading this story. Well done.
Heather
Jun 18, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it
This story was creepy and odd, with a very weak ending. I don't know what I can really say about it without giving anything away. If you can get it free or borrow it from someone it might be worth the read, but I wouldn't pay for it.
♥SugarFlower♥
Dec 09, 2011 ♥SugarFlower♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: strange-books
Ummmmm... it was a little disturbing..... I didn't expect that ending.... I was like WTF?!
But otherwise, intresting concept, unexpected endings, and murder... Just what I love in a story...
It was dramatic too. Like General Hostpital type of drama...
Trish Arrowsmith
The story itself was written very well. The downfall was that the summary of the story was pretty much the entire story. The ending left something to be desired, it just simply ended with no real conclusion. Another 5 pages or so and this story could really have been something.
Naomi
Mar 13, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
"Don't ever change".... I wonder how many times I wrote that in a year book. This short story was very Alfred Hitchcockish (if I can make up a word...) I very much enjoyed it.
David
Nov 11, 2012 David rated it liked it
Very good premise, but the end was fairly abrupt. I think this story could have been developed into a much longer work.
Cathy
Jun 22, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Free Kindle download. Short story. Be careful what you write in someone's yearbook. It may come back to bite you.
Peacegal
Jan 16, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
Much better job from this prolific ebook author. The storyline reminds me of the Fear Street books I used to read as a teen.
Nancy
Dec 01, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a short story written with a nice premise which could have been developed more. it would have been better to leave the story at a cliffhanger but the story ended happily.
Sarah Wright
Jun 05, 2011 Sarah Wright rated it really liked it
I started reading this book and had forgotten that it was a thriller. It was still a good story...good premise, etc.

I'm not usually a horror/thriller reader, but I liked this story.
Rana
Rana rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2017
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
East
East rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Dee6265
Jul 07, 2011 Dee6265 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this!
Mickey
Mickey rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2011
brooke
brooke rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2015
Kathyb
Kathyb rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Jeneen Marshall
Jeneen Marshall rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2011
tina newberry
tina newberry rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Carrie Doyle
Carrie Doyle rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Ginny Lurcock
Ginny Lurcock rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Bookfan92
Bookfan92 rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
Sarah rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Stealing Flowers
  • Guilty as Sin (Knight & Culverhouse, #2)
  • Boob Tube
  • Sleep
  • Remote Control
  • The Walled Garden
  • Are You Positive?
  • Breaths in Winter
  • Freak
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Looking For Ward
  • What Tangled Webs
  • The Life and Death of Bayou Billy
  • Beyond the Veil
  • Don't Make Me Come Up There!: Quiet Moments for Busy Moms
  • Blood in the Marsh
John H. Carroll was the youngest of seven children and was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1970 where he was kept in a dresser drawer with the clean socks. Luckily, he wasn’t kept with the dirty socks or else he might have grown up to become slightly warped.

As a child, John spent most of his time wandering through the Mojave Desert in an attempt to avoid people. He would stare at the sky, imagining wh
More about John H. Carroll...