Start by marking “Desperation” as Want to Read:
Desperation

Desperation

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  74,412 ratings  ·  1,194 reviews
There's a place along Interstate 50 that some call the loneliest place on Earth. It's known as Desperation, Nevada.
It's not a very nice place to live. It's an even worse place to die.
Let the battle against evil begin.
Welcome to ... Desperation

-----------------------------------------------------------

The following was taken from Steven King's Web Site:

Located off a desola
Mass Market Paperback, 547 pages
Published August 1st 1997 by Signet (first published January 1st 1996)

The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
38th out of 123 books — 2,182 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
27th out of 1,210 books — 3,693 voters

More lists with this book...

Dirk Grobbelaar
Why, what a splendid book. Gosh! Tak.

”I see holes like eyes.”

Desperation is one of the downright scariest books I’ve read, and the scares come early. King manages, for the most part, to keep the tension up throughout the novel, which makes it one hell of an uneasy read. Some sequences are somewhat bizarre, and others are bluntly offensive, although this is only what you’d expect from a novel such as this: it’s not meant to be easy reading after all.

Something about this bothered [him], but for n
Nicholas Armstrong
I'm an indecisive rater and my rating on this will probably fluctuate with mood and memory but regardless of that this is a great read.

What I always found insulting was how easily critics, snobs, and pretentious twits write-off Stephen King because he writes stories about realistic people in fantastic situations. So what? Seriously, he writes amazingly so why give a damn what he writes about? Desperation is a perfect example of horror and fantastic writing and anyone who doesn't think so can go
Mari Biella
Say what you will about Stephen King, but you’ve got to hand it to our man in Maine: sitting down with one of his novels is never a struggle. Having read a number of his books, I’ve gradually come to think of him as being a bit like an old friend: a charming, chatty old friend who, for the price of a paperback, will happily sit down with you and tell you one of his numerous stories, stories whose occasional nastiness seems quite at odds with their mild-mannered narrator. On this level, Desperati ...more
Lane Wilkinson
So, I dropped the pretention and read a Stephen King novel. True, I read several of King's works...in middle school...but I thought that it was time to give him another chance. After all, King's popularity is eclipsed only by, oh, I don't know...Jesus? Well, not Jesus...but someone popular.

I'll admit, the story was engaging. King has a way with propelling his story-lines over hundreds of pages without taking a breath. Or so it would seem. Unfortunately, the mediocrity of his prose is, at best, d
Becky
This is probably the 4th or 5th time that I've read this book. I have always liked this story, although not as much as it's other half, The Regulators, but I have to say that this time, unfortunately, Desperation lost a little something for me. I actually downgraded it from a 4 star to a 3 star rating (OK, 3 1/2 maybe).

Maybe this is due to the fact that I'm on something of a King kick, and I've been reading a lot of his stuff within the past few months. I think, because of this, some of his les
Jess
IN THESE SILENCES SOMETHING MAY RISE

Oi, this book is a doozy! I read it months ago but only just finished its companion novel so I think I'm finally ready to organize my thoughts and write a review of this thing. I know I rated it three stars but that's really only in comparison to King's other work. Because compared with other writers, this book is far better, but compared to a lot of his other novels, it is just on the lower end of the Stephen King spectrum for me. Which really is too bad bec
Alissa
Overall I enjoyed Desperation and I'm still planning on reading The Regulators. Religion was more of a theme with this book than the somewhat subtle undertones King usually uses but it didn't detract much for me. I'm not religious either, its just something I can accept if its used seriously as part of the story. It felt like King relied on it more sometimes than he could have though. It comes full circle through the characters and while King managed to create characters with human flaws, desire ...more
Ruth Turner

Audiobook - Narrated by Stephen King - Surprisingly good narration.

I say surprisingly good, because years ago I listened to something Stephen King read (can't remember what) and found his voice to be flat and emotionless. So I was severely disappointed when I downloaded this book and found it was narrated by the author. But, eventually, I decided to give it a try, and I have to say that I was surprised. He did an excellent job. It was like having him in my living room, an old friend come to vis
Jason P
Close your eyes.
Picture yourself driving down Highway 50. Windows are down and the wind is blowing your hair back like you're in front of a high powered fan. Tunes are blaring out of the front speakers, and everything is going perfect. You and your mate are having the time of your lives.
That's when you see the blue/red lights flash behind you, and a quick 'whoop whoop' flagging you down for you to pull over.

A strange man that looks like an officer of the law slowly makes his way to the side you
Steve
Just can't get into this one, nothing really compelling me to keep reading. Into the abandoned book pile it goes.
Jeremy Bates
One thing I find fascinating is how many critics write off Stephen King as a hack because he writes horror novels. Unlike literary authors, who write about extraordinary people in regular situations, King writes about regular people in extraordinary situations, and that’s just fine with me.

Desperation is reminiscent of King’s magnum opus The Stand, and King revisits many familiar themes such as good versus evil, salvation, redemption, faith, so forth. There’s also a lot of blood and gore, which
Mary
Dec 12, 2007 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans, horror fans, people who dig religious-themed stories
Shelves: horror, thriller
It's pretty much guaranteed that if Stephen King wrote it, I'll like it. I can't honestly say that this is one of his best books. It's certainly very menacing, and extremely tense, but it was also kind of predictable and the ending seemed a bit too easy. A lot of King endings are vaguely unsatisfying, though, and I blame that primarily on the fact that he builds up the story so much that there's really no way to end it on a satisfying note.

Still, something about Desperation got to me. It played
Kandice
If I were rating this book on story alone, I would probably only give it 2 stars, but because the style in which it's written means as much, if not more, to me as story, I'm saying 3 stars. As disturbing, sad, and at times disgusting as this book was, I wanted to know how it ended, who lived, who died, and WHY. Most of all, why?, but I was left a little disapointed on that score.

The story opens with a crazy cop on the rampage. He lives in the small desert town of Desperation, and scans the road
Ellen Hopkins
Closer to his early work, which I liked.
Samuel Richards-hastings
UUUUUUUUUUGGGHHHH I FEEL SO BETRAYED BY THIS DUMB BOOK.

The first half, maybe even two thirds and I was all HEY THIS MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE KING NOVEL. A creepy rural Nevada cop starts kidnapping innocent travelers!? Like all post-AA King, they're all thinly veiled representations of parts of his personality/personal history!? THE COP IS POSSESSED BY AN ANCIENT EARTH-GOD WITH POWER OVER THE LOWER BEASTS OF THE DESERT?@?!!? DUDE!

There's a movie adaptation where RON PERLMAN PLAYS THE COP!? DOUBLE DUD
Bonnie
I closed the book and said "wow". And then I cried. I was rather surprised at King's handling of God and religion. Usually, those kinds of characters turn out to be dangerous. This one, though, made faith seem sweet and not kitschy. I loved the way the story tied up in a neat little package. As always, I loved the camaraderie between the strangers thrown together in a terrifying situation. Their strengths and their weaknesses. I love the attraction between the older guy and the younger girl that ...more
Campbell Mcaulay
A disparate collection of travellers are abducted by an insane cop and incarcerated in the jail of a small Nevada mining town in the middle of nowhere. It quickly becomes clear that the cop isn't just insane - he's posessed - and an ancient tunnel recently uncovered at the mine may hold the clue...

King's novels are rather variable in quality. I suspect that most careful and discerrning readers, even King's Constant Readers, will acknowledge that as true. I'll qualify the statement and state that
MiLi
Nov 28, 2014 MiLi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amantes del terror
Shelves: terror, ficcion
Para mí, Stephen King es sinónimo de genialidad. Cada uno de sus libros tiene un estilo propio acorde a la historia que se cuenta, y al mismo tiempo cada historia muestra la realidad de un mundo propio, con normas y personajes creados para alimentar la fantasía de un lugar único. Desperation es, ni más ni menos, un ejemplo de estos mundos concebidos por King, una realidad que se aleja de todo lo que conocemos.

La novela empieza con una pareja que se encuentra viajando tranquila en auto por una ru
Joe
Uggh. This book was...unfortunate. This book was the other half of the two book album King released in the late 90's. The other was "The Regulators." In each King used a lot of the same characters but in different roles with different stories that contained many similarities. You can read my review on "The Regulators." It was bad, but this...King went big on this one.

It is his most overtly religious book since "The Stand" and it may be more religious than that. "Desperation" has hints of a cool
Felina
I absolutely loved this book. I think aside from the DT series this is my favorite King book. But of course I say that about every King book I read. *shrugs*

Something about spirituality in books really hits the spot for me. Its always interesting to see God from a different perspective. In the end its up to the reader to decide what they thought of God in this story. Or decide if they think King hit the mark or not. Personally, I see some truth in Kings portrayal.

On to The Regulators...
Chris
An enjoyable read on my second time through. It's still not one of my favorite King books, but it is still good. It would probably rate higher if King didn't set the bar so high, as this one falls in the average pile of his body of work.

Lots of fun though, looking for links to the Dark Tower series and to The Regulators....
Susan
Read back-to-back with "Bachman"'s The Regulators and my brain felt like King drop-kicked it when I was done.

The mini-series was kinda... bad, too.
Nicole Rhaven
 photo desperation_7.jpg

I don't think anyone knows this, (I am lying my ass off here) that this is my all time favorite book ever.
Want me to be honest? The reason why it's my favorite book is because of David fucking Carver. Most bad-ass kid ever. I just finished this book for the 7th time in 15 years since I first read it.
What keeps drawing me back? David Carver.

He does such adult things being a mere eleven year old boy, but at the same time his age shows.

In these silences something may rise.

(view spoiler)
Bark's Book Nonsense
Cleaning out some old gems of mine. I tried reading this one many years ago and remember giving up midway. I have it on audio from the library and hope to get through it this time but I don't know . . . the thing is 18 discs long!

Later: Well, I managed to get through all 18 discs but I think I'm a glutton for punishment. If I had been reading this the traditional way I would've given up early on. Some of the characters were okay but mostly they seemed all too familiar. There was the religious bo
Sam
This story centres on the town of Desperation, a mining town that has fallen on hardtimes, made worse by the ancient force that has escaped from the nearby China Mine intent on taking over the town and escaping into the world permanently. In the process a number of not so likely suspects are thrown together in the struggle for survival both for themselves and mankind as a whole as good and evil do battle using every tool available to them.

King as created a superb tense filled masterpiece that ke
April Hamilton
I really, really wanted to like this book. At last, I thought, King returns to form with a supernatural thriller, and with the wonderful Kathy Bates narrating the audiobook, too! But I couldn't finish it.

The religious overtones are just too much for me. It's not just that they make the book preachy, but that in my opinion, they also make the plotting seem lazy. By the halfway point it became apparent to me that while evil would not always be defeated, when the author had decided that it *would*
Octavarium
Writing venomous criticism is not only easier than saying why you loved something, it also gives a certain kind of relief. This book however, succeeds to frustrate me even after finishing it. Because apart from the fact that I came close to hating it, I have a difficult time expressing why.
Maybe it’s good to know that 1. This was my first Stephen King book (and in extend horror-reading-experience) and 2. I tend to have a love-hate relationship with horror (movies), meaning that they are sickeni
Kayla Aurit
Thomas
An excellent horror novel from Stephen King, that satisfyingly evokes classic novels from the author. This novel is full of great characters, including the detestable but redeemable Johnny Marinville, the 'prayer boy' David Carver, one of King's blessed boy characters (here used very effectively) and most especially Collie Entragin, the giant cop who serves as a terrifying host for the demon Tak.
This novel contains my favorite phrase from Stephen King; 'God grinds the axe he plans to use.' As fa
chucklesthescot
This was another book that got off to a really good start with the psycho cop out on the road to capture unsuspecting people and imprison them in the isolated town of Desperation. The tension of the book was building nicely, we had the plans to escape from their cells...it was all going really well.

And then this book was spoiled by the appearance of that damn stupid Tak, the same creature thing that ruined The Regulators which I had also been enjoying. I'm getting very frustrated with enjoying p
English 11 Block ...: Desperation 1 13 Sep 30, 2012 01:06PM
Stephen King Fans: Desperation. 2 34 Dec 05, 2010 08:45PM
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Inhuman Condition  (Books of Blood, #4)
  • The Throat
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • Fountain Society
  • Endless Night
  • The Mask
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“Dolls with no little girls around to mind them were sort of creepy under any conditions.” 262 likes
“Oh shit, the mummy's after us, let's all walk a little faster” 78 likes