Martin Bridge: Ready for Takeoff!

Martin Bridge: Ready for Takeoff!

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Meet Martin Bridge -- a boy whose well-meant plans sometimes go awry. In three illustrated stories, Martin encounters two bus drivers with very different ways of relating, makes a tough decision about a friend's pet and takes on an extremely competitive model rocket project that almost costs him a friendship. The daily rhythms, struggles and triumphs of childhood -- at hom...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Kids Can Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Martin Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martin Bridge

babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys who are reluctant readers
Shelves: kids-fiction
Martin is a very likeable kid, and his parents are decent and normal. (Sometimes that feels rare in kidlit these days.) Each of the Martin books are broken into two or three smaller stories, all of which are filled with realistic characters and situations and reasonable solutions.

Martin deals with a less-than-friendly school bus driver, a neighbor’s dead hamster, and jealousy over a friend’s homemade rocket in three stories. Readers can empathize with Martin as he experiences emotions common to...more
Brandi
In these three slice-of-life short stories, the young boy Martin Bridge deals with two very different bus drivers, a friend's pet's death, and a competition he desperately wants to win almost at the expense of a friendship. Real world situations and issues children deal with are the subjects of these warm, humorous stories, great for transitional readers.
Sherry
Lovely book. Three chapters and three different topics of concern to children. The first is related to school (bus driver woes, with the unexpected result of kindness and gratitude as a force of positive change); the second related to pets dying (the hamster Martin is watching for a friend dies, and he must handle giving the news to his little neighbor, the owner); and the third deals with jealousy and hubris within friendship (Martin and Alex make competing model rockets in "scouts", and Martin...more
Julia
It is a cute book with a great story line.
Janice
Short stories for the younger reader. Probably good for 2nd or 3rd grade. Tells tales of Martin, a boy who is artistic and loves outer space. Good kid. Just trying to figure his world out. Kid wise. There are no major traumas. Just a kid figuring out what happens when a pet dies, when you don't like the school bus driver, and when you get in a fight with your best friend. Wholesome. A step up from the Henry and Mudge books.
Natalie
I read this to my kiddos. It was four chapters, but they didn't go together at all. They only thing they had in common was Martin's interest in rockets. It wasn't really what I was looking for when reading a chapter book to my kids. It was quick and easy though! It also instilled a new interest in rockets for my 4-year-old son, which has been kind of fun (and a nice change from trains).
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 1-2
RL610. It's hard to find transitional books between kindergarten and chapter books, but this title has lots of pictures and a large font. Three stories kids can identify with-- a substitute they like better than their real teacher, a dead pet, and jealousy over a "stolen" idea.

Not the meatiest, most wonderful book I've ever read, but certainly has a place as a transitional read.
Christina Gagliano
Initially, I didn't like this book of 3 short stories but it grew on me as I read it with my 6-year-old son, who kept asking to hear more. Good treatment of some tough subjects, including the death of a neighbor's hamster while Martin was watching it, when and if it's okay to fib, and jealousy issues in friendship.
Kara Wyatt
In this book there are three chapters that are different form one another. It is about a little boy who faces challenges in many life situations and how he seems to find a way to fix them all. It was a cute book and an easy read. I think children can find something to relate too in the book as well.
Carissa
great stories featuring a boy protagonist with real worries and real solutions. he sort of reminds me of a boy ramona. there are capers and schemes and a lot of refreshing honesty. great reads for kids just getting into chapter books.
Christopher
I like the book because Martin Bridge has a nice bus driver and then the mean one comes back and sees that
all the students that go on the bus decorated the outside of the bus to make her a nice bus driver.
Marcia
This was a sweet book, containing three stories. Perfect for new chapter book readers, very young for an MCBA choice. Lessons of kindness and friendship make it perfect for a 1st or 2nd grade read aloud.
Karin

Martin is a great character. The book is three short stories in one book. The themes are about friendship, kindness, and school. Perfect book for kids that are looking for a short but good book.
Robin
A gentle little book that's just right for kids who are starting to feel confident reading chapter books on their own. Perfect for first or second graders or for reading aloud to younger children.
Claire
I want to read this, I remember a woman saying Martin is the kind of boy you want your kids to know. Sounded good to me. Its frequently what I hope for in a story.
Martha
Jan 21, 2008 Martha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 6-8
Another series to add to the growing family of beginning chapter books with lovable boy main characters. Hardly remarkable, but solid and safe.
Annette
I thought my four-year old son would enjoy this book (with topics he enjoys... rockets, etc) but he was not a fan. In his words, "it was weird".
Aj
Three decent chapters. Good characters. Not extraordinary, but nice and inviting. Reminds me of afternoon programming in PBS.
Lowden
Lauren gave this to me as a gift. For the younger crowd, but an average "o.k." book, i guess.
Terri
A nice story about a boy handling life, friends, and school.
Tracy
A great book. I would recommend it to a friend.
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Missy Chelotti
Missy Chelotti marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jul 25, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jalen
Jalen marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Spotted Dog Last Seen Martin Bridge: On the Lookout! Martin Bridge: Sound the Alarm! (Martin Bridge) Martin Bridge: Blazing Ahead! Martin Bridge: Out of Orbit!