Start by marking “Fright Court (Fright Court, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fright Court (Fright Court, #1)

Fright Court (Fright Court #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Sarah Anderson has found her dream job: Clerk of Court for the District of Columbia Night Court. Dream job, that is, until she’s attacked in the open courtroom by a vampire defendant. And until she’s forced to take self-defense lessons from her boss, the enigmatic vampire James Morton. And until she learns that she can’t share the truth about any of that with her best frie ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Fright Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fright Court

J.M. Jeffries
Fun book with a surprise that totally took me in an unexpected direction. I'm hoping this isn't the only book because it seems there so much more story to tell.

Sarah Anderson had spent several years going from one unsatisfying job to another until she applies for a job as the Court Clerk of the Night Court in Washington D.C. If you're thinking of the old TV series Night Court, you're right. The difference is that the judge and most of the court personal are vampires and other assorted magical cr
Kym Collar
Genre: Contemporary comedic (?) paranormal
I think this book is supposed to be funny, but is isn't for me. The female protagonist, Sarah Jane Anderson, an OCD law school drop-out, has just gotten a job as Court Clerk in Night Court. Turns out that after about 2am, it turns to supernatural court. She is freaked out because, apparently, this was not on the job description. She gets bitten by a witness in a hearing and her boss, James Morton (Director of Security), saves her life. He is unable to me
Melissa Graff
I loved the Girls Guide to Witchcraft books. I really like Mindy Klasky's voice and find her books are really easy to read in the way its really easy to listen to your best friend tell you stories about her life over a couple drinks. While the tone was the same in Fright court and the parts I thought would be predictable weren't I just didn't love it as much as I loved the other books.
Dianna
This character brings too stupid to live to new heights. She makes selfish, mind boggling decisions and seems stunned when they don't work out like she expects. She thinks that a defensive apology should put everything to rights and is indignant if she is not trusted and forgiven again immediately. The book has way too much telling and not enough showing (other than the TSTL part...I mean really, let's take a walk by ourselves at 2 in the morning and decide to take the short cut through the unli ...more
Crys (The Hodgenator)
I am a huge fan of Klasky's witchy Jane Madison series, so when I saw this, I knew I would have to read it. After all, I enjoy a good vampire story that isn't full of bloody details.

This novel did not disappoint. Sarah Anderson was a fun character, one I met in 'Capitol Magic' and I was curious to see where Klasky would take her here. Could Sarah stand on her own in her own novel? Yes. Yes she can.

I enjoyed the pacing of this novel the most. I saved reading this for my treadmill/elliptical time
Elizabeth
This books lived up to what I thought would happen since I last wrote in. It had a bit of humor and was light reading. This is what I need right now in my life. I recommend this book to all vampire lovers and non-lovers. Sarah enjoyed working at the Night Court until all the events that took place happened.The fact that she had to hide the court to a reporter added to the fun. Poor Chris.
Read this and enjoy. Now onto Book 2"Capitol Magic".
Vivienne
A delightful romp from Mindy set in the same fictional universe as her Jane Madison series. In those novels the concentration is upon witches and I don't recall vampires being mentioned - yet it seems they do.

The link between that series and this novel is the presence of The Cake Walk bakery and descriptions of cupcakes that made my mouth water.

Dallass
Perhaps it's the headcold talking, but I found it to be somewhat predictable and not as great as I'd built it up to be.
Missyb
This book starts with a BANG! Then it slows a little. It does pick up, and other characters are added into the mix. The pull between Sarah & James builds throughout the book, and sort of concludes towards the end. It was a great twist with Chris, James, & Richardson. Good book, action, very little romance, good twists & drama. Hopefully there will be a second book. I'd like to read more about the night court, and James & Sarah. The court issues with Brauer & Schmidt never rea ...more
Diane

Book was pretty good, about girl who takes a job as a night clerk at the court house. The night court is actually doing trials on supernatural beings. Head of security is a really hot vampire. There's also a journalist evolved. Two guys and girl. Seeing a love triangle starting up here somewhere. Have to wait till the second book to see how that progresses.
Shamekia
Oh how I love paranormal-romance-comedy. And Mindy Klasky is one of my go-to authors for this genre. If I want to have a good time from page 1 to the end then I pick up one of her books.

I won't bore you with spoilers and teasers, but I will recommend this book (and any of her others) if you like fun, girly beach reads that are easily devoured.
Amy
Loved this book! Sarah's character is a very original addition to the urban fantasy genre- a Sphinx! Characters were actually interesting, as opposed to so many urban genre clones. Story was addictive and I can't wait to read the next in this series. :)
Drea
Very cute. I really like Mindy Klasky's writing for a good, cute story. I too wonder if this is a beginning novel in a series featuring Sarah. I think it would be interesting to find out how things progress. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Stevie Carroll
So far I've only read this in its serialised form, and feel as if I should reread it as a novel before reviewing it fully. However, I loved the world-building and the characters and would love to see more of both at some point.
Caitlin
I am a huge fan of Mindy Klasky's witchcraft series, so I tried this one for Kindle. It was a great quick read with quirky characters and I am excited to read the next in the series!
Lisa Maddison
I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this book, I was a little worried that I won't like it because it started off slow. But it was a good storyline and fun characters.
Kimberly
This was a fun read. Mindy kept the action going through the entire book, not just the conclusion. The characters were varied and well developed, and I loved that it was clean.
Ukgardenfiend
a novel idea of the hidden court judging the hidden people in our society. and the vampire is always sexy - I wonder why?
Allyson Bright Meyer
An incredibly fun read with many twists and turns. A great vampire story that also makes you laugh out loud. :)
Nicki
Very cute. I liked it! It was a quick read but entertaining, I'd like to see more of these.
Kaemea

Fun and engaging! I sure hope this isn't a one off. I need more Sarah!
Tiffany Brandenburg
I really enjoyed this little book. I almost could not put it down.
Annie Bell

I've really enjoyed the Mindy Klasky books. Fun reads.
John Wenzelburger
It was okay and an unusual story with vampires thats not easy.
Karin Crimmins
Good book. Hoping there are more in the series!
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Ceci Long
Ceci Long marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • What the Heart Wants (Hearts and Arrows, #2.5)
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • Dirty Trouble (An Esposito Mystery #2)
  • Killer Byte [Diana Tregarde series]
  • Witch Way (Magical Holiday Tales, #1)
  • No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells (Mystic Cafe, #1)
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Angels of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, 4)
  • Tiger's Eye (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #3)
  • Buried Secrets (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Splitsville.com (Olivia Davis Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • Underdead (Underdead Mystery #1)
  • Discovery in New York (DraculaVille, #1)
  • Results Not Typical
  • A Ghoulish Valentine (Dulcie O'Neil #1.5)
  • Absolutely Captivated (Fates #5)
  • Another Sip [Part 1 Intro: The Hunt] (The V V Inn)
  • Turning Thirty-Twelve
Mindy Klasky learned to read when her parents shoved a book in her hands and told her that she could travel anywhere in the world through stories. She never forgot that advice.

Mindy's travels took her through multiple careers, including copyright lawyer and law librarian. Mindy now writes full time. Her books fall in a number of genres -- including traditional fantasy, urban fantasy, and category
More about Mindy Klasky...
Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1) Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2) Magic and the Modern Girl (Jane Madison, #3) The Glasswrights' Apprentice (Glasswright, #1) The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)