Start by marking “Curious George Goes Camping” as Want to Read:
Curious George Goes Camping

Curious George Goes Camping (Curious George New Adventures)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,346 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
George and the man with the yellow hat are going camping! George tries to be helpful, but after he upsets a neighboring camper, he is chased into the woods and gets lost. Before long, an encounter with a cute forest creature throws George into a chain of outrageous events that allows him to find a way to be helpful after all.
Published October 1st 1999 by Perfection Learning (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Goes Camping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Goes Camping

Bryce Behn
May 23, 2013 Bryce Behn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great to read with my little sister. We both really enjoyed reading this book together. She just brought this book out to me one night and asked me if I would read it to her, of course I said yes. The story is about the yellow hat man takes Curious George camping. As usual, George’s curiosity gets him into trouble when he puts out a fellow camper’s campfire. George runs into the woods and meets a bunch of forest animals. Mistaking a skunk for a kitty, he is sprayed. While looking f ...more
Julie Suzanne
A cute read aloud for a glass of young elementary students with a camping theme in their classroom. My son loved all of these curious George books when he was growing up. They were Great bedtime stories when you were too tired for a chapter book.
Diego Valenzuela
this story is about a monkey named George who goes camping with his friend but gets into a little bit of trouble. I really liked the book, i would give it 11 out of 10. I would recommend this book to a first or second grader.
Isabella Woodard
Feb 10, 2014 Isabella Woodard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like it because I like the pictures and the story.
Mary Helene
Dec 29, 2015 Mary Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tom-reviews
Tom says this is a really good book. It tells you what to do about skunks.
Camila
Sep 15, 2016 Camila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curious George Goes Camping by Margret Rey. This book is about when they went camping, and George left the campsite cause he saw a girl.I like this book because it has some action. I would recommend this book to who likes animals.
Angie
Oct 26, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Curious George Goes Camping is an entertaining story of the Great Outdoors based on H. A. and Margret Rey’s popular primate and painted in the original watercolor and charcoal style. George tries to be helpful, but he of course just ends up upsetting a nearby camper. As he’s hiding in the woods, he meets a forest creature who catapults the mischievous monkey into a chain of even more outrageous events! For more monkey fun, investigate www.curiousgeorge.com and discover all the latest ...more
Cheyenne Gribbins
Curious George is going on a camping trip. He gets in trouble early in his trip when he puts out another camper's fire. George then scampers into the woods, where he gets lost and makes new forest friends. He gets sprayed by a skunk, and puts out a forest fire, which leads to his discovery. George then enjoys the rest of his camping trip with a tomato juice bath and roasting marshmallows. This book is great for kids because they can really relate. Even though George is a monkey, he displays the ...more
Gordon Pennington
Curious George Goes Camping is the story of Curious George and his friend in the yellow hat as they head out to the great frontier. George gets into trouble early on for using fire incorrectly; later he gets chased by a skunk. Just when George starts to hate camping he saves the day by putting out a forest fire. This story would have to be followed by a lecture on fire safety. Although the book does a pretty good job of warning of the dangers of fire, it kind of downplays what a serious topic it ...more
Kathryn
Dec 27, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-boys
Better than when curious George visits the snow but no thanks to amazon/kindle. I bought this along with many other children's books for my Kindle-for-PC and though I have been happy with the experience overall, I found this to be lacking and difficult. It almost seems as though the books (this and the snow curious George) were badly scanned and since the scan made the text largely unreadable, the idea to retype the text and place it on the next page was used. I did not like this. Text should co ...more
Whole And
Another cute curious George tale following of the formula of getting in trouble AND saving the day, this time while camping.

Great for the summer, learning about camping and fire safety.

We used this story as part of a back yard camping party with friends in a tee pee we made, a make shift campfire, homemade popsicles, a hammock and other camping apparel. A great way to spend the morning, especially as a warm up for first time campers.
Amy
Jun 03, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I selected this story for my niece and nephew in order to get them ready for our camping trip this weekend. The story was ok--I'm just relieved that George's antics didn't give my nephew any ideas. To be honest, we all enjoyed Curious George Goes Fishing more, but this was still entertaining.
Kat
Feb 20, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
Basic Plot: Curious George goes camping and has some adventures!

What happens when a curious little monkey ends up in the American wilderness? Hilarity. Marshmallows and skunks drive the adventure, which obviously means the story is good. This is one of the originals, so the illustrations don't look like the PBS show. The art is good, if not as bright and colorful as my little man is used to. The classics still can hold a little guy's attention, I swear.
Samantha
Jan 18, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequencing, animals
I used this book to set up a schema of camping for my three year old son. Generally it gave the right idea as far as people setting up tents in the woods and whatnot. But of course, George wanders off and has an adventure all his own. His curiousity leads him into a scenerio in which he saves the day by putting out a wildfire. The storyline was decent, I suppose it went a little askew a parts, but none the less a good read.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
My 3 year old loves Curious George. He watches all TV shows on all 6 seasons on Netflix. He watches many reruns on TV. Recently I bought him about 15 different books. He learns a lot from it. Great series, books and TV shows. I read him this book twice. I read him 5 curious George books a night. He likes me to read and re-read them for him.
Vivian
Aug 16, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children enjoy stories involving familiar characters, Curious George being one of their favorites.

As is usual for George, he quickly tires of "being helpful", makes mistakes, means well, gets distracted, uses poor judgement, gets lost, is rescued, makes new friends, and performs a good deed -- all in one little adventure.
Brandi
Sep 05, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I believe this book has good lessons in it. One lesson is you should listen to adults. Curious George got lost in the woods because he wondered off like he was told not to do. Another lesson is fires can be dangerous. George has learned from watching others how to put out the fire in the forest. But this book does help children realize how dangerous fires are.
Jane
In Curious George Goes Camping, George gets into his usual trouble and in the end saves the day. He is a delightful little monkey that the children love when he appears in a story with the man in the yellow hat. This is a great story to read to preschool children or for children to read in the early elementary grades and enjoy the fun.
Alyn
Mar 27, 2014 Alyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
George goes camping and ends up getting lost after being chased off by another camper. While trying to figure out how to get back to the camp, George happens to see a fire in the forest. Due to his quick thinking, he is able to put it out.

Terry
May 03, 2009 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Has there ever been a Curious George book that children don't love? That cutest of monkeys gets in trouble everywhere he goes and children just love to get into it with him. Maargret & H.A. Rey are still delighting children after almost 70 years. Published by Houghton Mifflin.
Ingrid
I am no fan of curious George, especially the newer ones. The he's lesson to be drawn from these books is that NO ONE should have a pet monkey. I used this book for a camping story time, but it was a little long. The kids liked it more than I.
Vicki
Curious George gets himself into trouble when he puts out a camper's fire. This causes him to run deep into the forest. However, he saves the day when he witnesses an out of control fire in the forest and races to put it out.
Kristen
Dec 15, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This is a cute book for kids who are just beginning to camp. It will teach them all the safety rules. It was a cute enough book...but it didn't stand out to me. I enjoy George's stories, but it didn't wow me enough to want to own it.
Thu Nguyen
I love George because I am not that curious and cause big trouble. But i can see myself through him. Sometimes i wanted to help, but dont know what to do, and cause the awkward moments. George has a good heart, he just needs to slow down and learn more. :)
Laneika Cason
Aug 29, 2012 Laneika Cason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PB6. This curious little monkey is always looking for an adventure, and although he always gets into mischief, he helps to the day. I think this is a perfect book for children and my preschool class loved it.
Lexi
May 07, 2015 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curious-george
This is a great story about George finding fun it the great outdoors. This would be an especially great book today because I think kids are starting to forget how much fun being outdoors can be and sometimes we need a reminder.
Amieer Ayyad
The book is about a monkey that goes into a forest and get sprayed by a skunk and then his friend saw him and they went to go save him. I love this book because it's fun to read.I recommend this book to my mom.
Dianna
May 05, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My three-year-old son loved this story of Curious George going camping, pouring water on people's fires, getting lost, and playing with a black-and-white "kitty." It ends well with a bath in tomato juice and roasted marshmallows.
Rosa Cline
In my opinion this was one of the better Curious George books. He and the man go camping and in the end George helps put out a wild fire.
Angela
Nov 23, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love George at our house- so of course, we love this story. Great learning opportunity about fire safety in this story.
  • Curious George's Opposites
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Camping Day!
  • Froggy Bakes a Cake
  • Grandma, Grandpa, and Me
  • Little Gorilla
  • Happy Thanksgiving, Biscuit!
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes
  • Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole
  • One Winter's Day
  • Poor Puppy (Bad Kitty)
  • I Wanna New Room
  • I Love You As Big As the World
  • Clifford's Valentines
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...

Curious George New Adventures (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Curious George Goes to the Aquarium