Start by marking “Curious George Goes Camping” as Want to Read:
Curious George Goes Camping

Curious George Goes Camping (Curious George New Adventures)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  854 ratings  ·  43 reviews
George and the man with the yellow hat are going camping! George tries to be helpful, but after he upsets a neighboring camper, he is chased into the woods and gets lost. Before long, an encounter with a cute forest creature throws George into a chain of outrageous events that allows him to find a way to be helpful after all.
Published October 1st 1999 by Perfection Learning (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Goes Camping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Goes Camping

Bryce Behn
This book was great to read with my little sister. We both really enjoyed reading this book together. She just brought this book out to me one night and asked me if I would read it to her, of course I said yes. The story is about the yellow hat man takes Curious George camping. As usual, George’s curiosity gets him into trouble when he puts out a fellow camper’s campfire. George runs into the woods and meets a bunch of forest animals. Mistaking a skunk for a kitty, he is sprayed. While looking f...more
Isabella Woodard
I really like it because I like the pictures and the story.
Angie
Synopsis: "Curious George Goes Camping is an entertaining story of the Great Outdoors based on H. A. and Margret Rey’s popular primate and painted in the original watercolor and charcoal style. George tries to be helpful, but he of course just ends up upsetting a nearby camper. As he’s hiding in the woods, he meets a forest creature who catapults the mischievous monkey into a chain of even more outrageous events! For more monkey fun, investigate www.curiousgeorge.com and discover all the latest...more
Gordon Pennington
Curious George Goes Camping is the story of Curious George and his friend in the yellow hat as they head out to the great frontier. George gets into trouble early on for using fire incorrectly; later he gets chased by a skunk. Just when George starts to hate camping he saves the day by putting out a forest fire. This story would have to be followed by a lecture on fire safety. Although the book does a pretty good job of warning of the dangers of fire, it kind of downplays what a serious topic it...more
Alyn
George goes camping and ends up getting lost after being chased off by another camper. While trying to figure out how to get back to the camp, George happens to see a fire in the forest. Due to his quick thinking, he is able to put it out.

Jen
George is a favorite character of the students in my younger classes. They had fun predicting all the trouble he would get into when camping.
Haley Anderson
These books always seemed to confuse me on which age they would be best for. Sometimes the pages get jumbled with too much going on all at once.
Kathryn
Better than when curious George visits the snow but no thanks to amazon/kindle. I bought this along with many other children's books for my Kindle-for-PC and though I have been happy with the experience overall, I found this to be lacking and difficult. It almost seems as though the books (this and the snow curious George) were badly scanned and since the scan made the text largely unreadable, the idea to retype the text and place it on the next page was used. I did not like this. Text should co...more
Miri Mandel
I like this book because I like camping and sometimes I dream about camping.
Rosa Cline
In my opinion this was one of the better Curious George books. He and the man go camping and in the end George helps put out a wild fire.
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
PWRL
Sep 25, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zzz2014-sep-new
A, O, SM
Kat
Basic Plot: Curious George goes camping and has some adventures!

What happens when a curious little monkey ends up in the American wilderness? Hilarity. Marshmallows and skunks drive the adventure, which obviously means the story is good. This is one of the originals, so the illustrations don't look like the PBS show. The art is good, if not as bright and colorful as my little man is used to. The classics still can hold a little guy's attention, I swear.
Whole And
Another cute curious George tale following of the formula of getting in trouble AND saving the day, this time while camping.

Great for the summer, learning about camping and fire safety.

We used this story as part of a back yard camping party with friends in a tee pee we made, a make shift campfire, homemade popsicles, a hammock and other camping apparel. A great way to spend the morning, especially as a warm up for first time campers.
Samantha
I used this book to set up a schema of camping for my three year old son. Generally it gave the right idea as far as people setting up tents in the woods and whatnot. But of course, George wanders off and has an adventure all his own. His curiousity leads him into a scenerio in which he saves the day by putting out a wildfire. The storyline was decent, I suppose it went a little askew a parts, but none the less a good read.
Amy
I selected this story for my niece and nephew in order to get them ready for our camping trip this weekend. The story was ok--I'm just relieved that George's antics didn't give my nephew any ideas. To be honest, we all enjoyed Curious George Goes Fishing more, but this was still entertaining.
Brandi

I believe this book has good lessons in it. One lesson is you should listen to adults. Curious George got lost in the woods because he wondered off like he was told not to do. Another lesson is fires can be dangerous. George has learned from watching others how to put out the fire in the forest. But this book does help children realize how dangerous fires are.
Vivian
Children enjoy stories involving familiar characters, Curious George being one of their favorites.

As is usual for George, he quickly tires of "being helpful", makes mistakes, means well, gets distracted, uses poor judgement, gets lost, is rescued, makes new friends, and performs a good deed -- all in one little adventure.
Terry
Has there ever been a Curious George book that children don't love? That cutest of monkeys gets in trouble everywhere he goes and children just love to get into it with him. Maargret & H.A. Rey are still delighting children after almost 70 years. Published by Houghton Mifflin.
Thu Nguyen
I love George because I am not that curious and cause big trouble. But i can see myself through him. Sometimes i wanted to help, but dont know what to do, and cause the awkward moments. George has a good heart, he just needs to slow down and learn more. :)
Ingrid
I am no fan of curious George, especially the newer ones. The he's lesson to be drawn from these books is that NO ONE should have a pet monkey. I used this book for a camping story time, but it was a little long. The kids liked it more than I.
Dianna
My three-year-old son loved this story of Curious George going camping, pouring water on people's fires, getting lost, and playing with a black-and-white "kitty." It ends well with a bath in tomato juice and roasted marshmallows.
Vicki
Curious George gets himself into trouble when he puts out a camper's fire. This causes him to run deep into the forest. However, he saves the day when he witnesses an out of control fire in the forest and races to put it out.
Laneika Cason
PB6. This curious little monkey is always looking for an adventure, and although he always gets into mischief, he helps to the day. I think this is a perfect book for children and my preschool class loved it.
Anne Robertson
Good to use when addressing safety either in the classroom or out in the world. Curious George explores fire safety but could be used as a platform for other safety discussions as well.
Beth
This was a great bedtime book for Claudia. It has humor and adventure, plus a little bit of mischief. Definitely a treat for both mommy and daughter to enjoy!
Amber Roth De Grace
My kids are digging Curious George right now so this was one they wanted to read over and over. I liked the tie-in to our own camping trip this summer.
Kelly Van Pelt
Anyone who loves George would love this book. It teaches children some important rules when camping and it really cute.
Mama
Great bedtime story.
I add-libbed a bit, when George found the "black and white" kitty...
PEEE-EEEEW! They love that part!
  • Curious George and the Bunny
  • Harry by the Sea
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar...more
More about Margret Rey...
The Complete Adventures of Curious George Curious George Goes to the Hospital Curious George Visits the Library Curious George Visits the Zoo Curious George Flies a Kite