Start by marking “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5) ” as Want to Read:

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5) (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5)

4.41  ·  Rating Details ·  8,387 Ratings  ·  455 Reviews
Charting the whole of Arthur Dent’s Odyssey through space – a must-have edition, perfect for would-be galactic travellers, and for Douglas Adams fans everywhere.

First a legendary radio series, then a bestselling paperback, The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was a universal hit with readers of all ages. The omnibus edition is reissued to include the fifth part of the tri
Published 1997 by Random House (first published 1992)

Tharun Reddy The story as a whole is trying hard to explain how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme of Life, Universe and Everything. Most of the…moreThe story as a whole is trying hard to explain how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme of Life, Universe and Everything. Most of the arguments from the very beginning end with a silent, "In your face! Human! :P". I like to think Arthur as the main character, because he is the only human, well only in the Adams' Galaxy, and what can be more central role than being the 'point of view' :).(less)

Cecily
The first two are fantastic in the literal and colloquial senses. The remainder are only weak in comparison to what went before. So many wonderful concepts and phrases:

Vogon ships "hung in the sky in exactly the way bricks don't"; the Hooloovoo; the old man who said nothing was true but was later found to be lying; spend a year dead for tax reasons; meat bred to want to be eaten; the "knack" of learning to fly is to "throw yourself at the ground and miss" (I think Buzz Lightyear borrowed that);
Gearóid
Oct 27, 2015 Gearóid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just brilliant!
So clever and original and funny!
Sorry I did not read this when I was a teenager as
only now I realise why all my friends were talking about it!

Vanessa
Nov 02, 2007 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I read this book to understand a guy I liked. It's funny cuz it's true. And now that I don't like the guy, the book is not as interesting as it once tried to be in my life.
Emilie
Jun 29, 2009 Emilie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This mammoth of a book was a hell of an undertaking. After being harassed into reading it for 2.5 years, I have to say I am glad I did it, but gladder it's over and I can now read something I truly want to...and something not set somewhere along the space/time continuum.

I found there to be constant peaks and troughs, some chapters or parts were brilliant and others were laborious to get through (I did have some significant and glorious naps while I read this!), and every time I thought I would j
Janet Forster
Mar 15, 2016 Janet Forster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Follow the adventures of Arthur Dent, the world's last surviving human, as he journeys through space after the earth is demolished to make way for a Vogan hyperspace bypass. Arthur is rescued from certain destruction by Ford Prefect (read the book to discover how he got his name), an alien journalist who writes for the 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.' They travel the galaxy together meeting rather an interesting assortment of creatures including Trillian, another human who escaped the earth's ...more
Gregory Philips
Apr 13, 2007 Gregory Philips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesnt take things too seriously.
I first came across this book quite by accident. I happened to over hear a friend of mine talking about how a tiny robot with a brain the size of a planet had such a depressing view of life that he managed to talk a spaceship into commiting suicide!!!

What better introduction do you need into the world of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the largest selling book in the Universe? Needless to say I was hooked and couldnt wait to borrow a copy and begin reading. And once I read it, I read it ag
Silvia Sirea
Feb 15, 2016 Silvia Sirea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La mia avventura nello spazio è finita - per ora. Ho viaggiato su astronavi bellissime, superaccessoriate e di colori sgargianti. Mi è capitato anche di salire su di una completamente nera. Ho viaggiato attraverso milioni di anni luce. Ho incontrato gli alieni, tanti alieni, alcuni mi somigliavano anche. Ho attraversato diversi mondi paralleli - che poi tecnicamente non lo sono in realtà, paralleli. E ho visitato pianeti con le caratteristiche più disparate, ma nessuno è bello come la Terra - a ...more
Håvard Bamle
I want to write shortly about the philosophical merit of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

All western philosophy emerged and developed within the logocentric tradition. Two axioms define this tradition. 1. A thing cannot both be and not be at the same time (a v -a). 2. A thing is always identical with itself (a=a). It is impossible for humans to think about the world in a way that makes sense without these two axioms. But that does not make them necessarily true. These are the limits of hu
Danielle
Oct 25, 2011 Danielle added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Danielle by: Kate Reed
Fun book. Reads like Dr. Seuss for adults. lol. Not in the sense of rhyming, but in the ludicris words used. You can tell Mr. Adams had fun writing this completley random story. Ford Perfect makes the story enjoyable to read while Arthur Dent brings a confused realness to it. The way they relate to each other is entertaining to read. I've written more quotes than usual this time around and I'm not sure If I'm going to type them all so please bear with me...

"This planet has - or rather had - a pr
Fabio Raffaelli
Apr 25, 2015 Fabio Raffaelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“In molte delle civiltà meno formaliste dell’Orlo Esterno Est della Galassia, la Guida galattica per gli autostoppisti ha già soppiantato la grande Enciclopedia Galattica, diventando la depositaria di tutto il sapere e di tutta la scienza, perché nonostante presenti molte lacune e contenga molte notizie spurie (…) ha due importanti vantaggi rispetto alla più vecchia e più accademica Enciclopedia.
Uno, costa un po’ meno; due, ha stampate in copertina, a grandi caratteri che ispirano fiducia, le pa
Tonino Mangano
Quando ho preso in mano questo volume, sapevo già di trovarmi dinanzi a uno dei capisaldi della letteratura sci-fi humour. Solo leggendo il ciclo con i cinque romanzi della Guida Galattica per Autostoppisti, mi sono accorto di quanto invece sia molto più di un capolavoro.
Per quanto non mi abbia fatto ridere particolarmente, se non in qualche preciso punto, ho ritenuto geniali certi ragionamenti (interventi dell’autore veri e propri o citazioni della Guida) e sono fonte di spunti di riflessione a
Tiffany
Aug 31, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OHMIGOD!!! Hilarious! I loved this book (er, books, as the trilogy actually encompasses five...). I laughed out loud so many times; who knew what would come out of Adams's brain next into that story. It is the best of everything, adventure, story-telling, and that wonderful British humour of irony and blase-indifference, that, according to some people's reviews (I am supposing Americans, to be completely sterotypical...) is just boring and NOT funny. Well, totally got it. I totally loved every s ...more
Razmatus
Dec 06, 2013 Razmatus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
what a ride... and dont underestimate the stupigeniusity of total idiots :D
Shereen
Jul 18, 2013 Shereen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
yes, I've already read these a few times, but after subjecting myself to the torture of The Elegance of The Hedgehog I felt I'd earned a little time with my old friend.

Some people hate to reread books, and I understand their point: there are loads of great books and they want to read as many as possible. I, on the other hand, think of certain books as old friends and sometimes I just don't have the energy to expend on developing a new relationship. I want to spend time with someone whose compan
Chuck Via
Mar 30, 2008 Chuck Via rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My older Bro had this text game of this book and suggested i read it to better understand the game didn't help with the game too much but it was a life changeing event opend my eyes to looking at things differently, introduced me to existentialism. and a fantastic way to think and be if i had read the following books then i would not be who i am now finised the series mabe 10 years after reading the first...
Jessica
I enjoyed the first book in this omnibus, but by the time I got about 2/3 into the second one, the aggressive whimsy was driving me nuts. I think this works much better in the way it was originally conceived -- small installments leaving you wanting another taste after a decent interval. In a binge its just much too cute for me.
Graziano
Il primo libro è molto divertente e scritto bene, dalla presentazione dei personaggi alla ricerca della risposta sulla vita e l'universo...
Poi il tutto si perde nei libri dopo, continui a leggere sperando che tutto prima o poi si ricolleghi alla trama principale, ma niente...il ciclo completo contiene una serie di eventi sconnessi tra loro ma divertenti.
Chiara
Mar 18, 2015 Chiara marked it as interrotti  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-casa
Guida galattica per gli autostoppisti: 3-/5
Ristorante al termine dell'universo: 2/5
Isabel (kittiwake)
I re-read book 1 in January 2015, followed by book 2 in August, and books 3 and 4 in October. I read the fifth book, which I hadn't read before, in January 2016.

The added extras after each book are interesting, but I had to my read them on my iPad mini as they included press clippings in fonts too small to read on my Kindle.

1) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 stars)

'If I asked you where the hell we were,' said Arthur weakly, 'would I regret it?'
Ford stood up. 'We're safe,' he said.
'Oh go
Antti Sorri
Aika ajoin on mukava tehdä paluu vanhojen kirjojen äärelle.

Luin Douglas Adamsin Linnunrata-trilogian joskus 90-luvun lopulla. Scifistä innostuneet ystäväni suosittelivat minulle halki lukioajan kirjasarjaan tutustumista. Huumori on aina haasteellista, varsinkin tieteiskirjallisuudessa. Vertailukohtana Adamsin kirjoille mieleeni nousee kuin itsestään Harry Harrison ja hänen Bill - Linnunradan sankarinsa, johon olin jo ennättänyt tutustumaan.

Adamsin viisiosaoinen trilogia kertoo länsi-englantilais
Caleb Barber
Oct 17, 2016 Caleb Barber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, it was so mysterious and nothing made sense unless you put things together. And I love those kind of books, the ones that make you think. I didn't expect to enjoy this book, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I'm not one for science fiction books.
M.G. Mason
Jan 13, 2015 M.G. Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is not much I can say about this highly popular series that has not already been said. The texts have been analysed, adored, recorded for radio, for TV and now for film – most recently with Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent. It has something for everyone and rarely divides, though even the most adoring fans would never praise the quality of its plot or characterisation.

So what is the appeal of these books? They are stupid, hideously, deliciously and sometimes uproariously funnily stupid and if
Camilo
Sep 13, 2016 Camilo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Santhosh
My first Douglas Adams was actually Last Chance to See, which turned into one of my favourite books ever. So, Zarquon only knows, my expectations from the Hitchhiker series were understandably quite high.

While taken in minor doses, the books do have wry British humour and witticism, taking digs at society and our elemental human traits and habits. There are a few good laughs, and a fair few mirrors put up to ourselves as a species.

However, without a good plot or story arc to back it up, after a
Chad Warner
All 5 books of the Hitchhiker's "trilogy" in one! As a student in computer information systems, I heard several references to this book, so I decided to check it out. While it didn't change my life, it was a pretty entertaining, humorous sci-fi read.

Check it out if you want to know the origin of the words and phrases "Babel fish", "So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish", "Don't Panic", "Mostly Harmless", and "the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything".

Reviews of in
Michael Price
Feb 19, 2016 Michael Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting because I like how Douglas Adams takes science fiction and comedy and merges it together. I really liked this book over all! My favorite part was when they find the answer to the meaning of life. At first I didn't really get what was going on, but then I discussed it with my book club and it was hilarious from then on. The story is about a man named Arthur Dent. In the beginning, Dent's house is being torn down because a highway was being built going right through ...more
Stefania Pezzato
Stupenda serie di libri. "Praticamente innocua". La consiglio a chiunque voglia leggere qualcosa di diverso dal solito, dato che si tratta di un raro esempio di fantascienza esilarante!
Berry
May 01, 2016 Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: private-reading
So the second time around, this book is slightly less awesome. After the first read, you tend to remember the great bits of the book, i.e. God's Message and the Answer to Everything, how to fly, etc. The book builds on moments like these and the rest is a bridge between these. Especially the fourth book of the trilogy (sentences like these illustrate Adams' random sense of humour well) is quite mediocre, and only gets back into focus when it reconnects to plot points from book three. Neither doe ...more
Chanouel
Jul 04, 2012 Chanouel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, sci-fi
I read this book a long time after hearing about it and seeing the movie (which did nothing to spark my interest in the book).
But then a friend recommended it, I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised.
I loved the humor and the absurdity of it all. It was a nice escape from real life :)
Amy Pond
Jun 07, 2016 Amy Pond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I could tell, this book is fantastic. I had a lot of trouble following the story, because of its jumping from POV's. The first two and the Restaurant at the End of the Universe were the easiest to understand.

I highly recommend this book! I would suggest reading it slowly to understand it all.
  • Kädettömät kuninkaat ja muita häiritseviä tarinoita
  • Tutti i racconti, le poesie e «Gordon Pym»
  • The Snake Oil Wars or Scheherazade Ginsberg Strikes Again (Snake Oil, #2)
  • Dark Universe
  • Il ciclo delle Fondazioni
  • George Orwell Omnibus: The Complete Novels: Animal Farm, Burmese Days, A Clergyman's Daughter, Coming up for Air, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, and Nineteen Eighty-Four
  • Pelon maantiede
  • The Jewel-Hinged Jaw: Notes on the Language of Science Fiction
  • The Snow
  • Bleak Expectations
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Love Is a Special Way of Feeling
  • A Science Fiction Omnibus
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Primordial Soup: The Least Worst Scripts (Red Dwarf)
  • Oz, Complete Collection, Volume 1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz / The Marvelous Land of Oz / Ozma of Oz
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Ray Bradbury Stories Volume 1: v. 1
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was comp ...more
More about Douglas Adams...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (6 books)
  • Young Zaphod Plays It Safe
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)

“Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else that thinks at least as logically as it does.” 163 likes
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.” 1 likes