Time and the Conways

Time and the Conways

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Marcia Warren and Stella Gonet star in J. B. Priestley's classic family drama about the nature of time.

Time and the Conways follows the fortunes of one family over a period of years, and offers a moving perspective on the abstract nature of the past, present and future.

It is 1919, the War is over and the Conway family are celebrating their daughter Kay's 21st birthday. But

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published March 2nd 2010 by AudioGO (first published 1937)

Jon
The first play I've ever liked more when I read it than when I saw it performed. With two intermissions and without the freedom to read quickly over the boring charade game in the first act, it dragged on a bit too much.

But the idea is intriguing. The first act is set in 1919, the second in 1939, and the third back in 1919--all in the same room. The play demonstrates how little careless actions in the present can have devastating consequences in the future. The third act is quite enjoyable beca...more
Esdaile
Becca.jensen
I like how the didacticism (the "Christmas Carol" message of change your life before it's too late) is subdued by the ambiguity of the ending. I also enjoyed how the "rule" of chronological time was broken - also breaking away from the somber reality of the second act.
From BBC Radio 4:
Classic drama of 'joy and woe' cutting back and forth in time as it follows a Yorkshire family's fortunes.
Daniel Alejandro
Another book I had to read for my English class. This play consists of three acts, from which the second is the most enjoyable one, whilst the others (apart from the finale) are rather uninteresting and had too much filler for my taste. These two acts describe the time when The Conways used to be happy and their goals in life were still a dream for them.
The conversation between Alan and Kay was, in my opinion, the peak of this play. There are plenty of deep thoughts there, when sadness prevails...more
Paul Servini
As others have pointed out it is its non-linear structure that carries this play. I found it very interesting moving forward in time to see what the characters becanme before going back to the time of Act One to see how, even then, they were sowing the seeds for their future. Apart from this, the goings on of the Conway family didn't really interest me that much.
Jonathan Edgington
When it comes to theatre, I usually prefer "new writing" but this is one of those ageless, classic plays that will, deservably, be around for ever. TIME AND THE CONWAYS made a big impression on me when I first saw it many years ago and continues to do so. It has certainly stood the test of time!
Andrew
What begins as a rather frivolous play turns much darker as the the setting shifts to the future. Suddenly the happy-go-luck Conways begin to resemble the cast of August Osage Country. An well crafted exploration of how a life a can be shaped by seemingly small moments.
Livinginthecastle
Heartbreakingly performed by the National Theatre.
Charlie
Pleasantly surprised, far better than An Inspector Calls
Silvia
I'd simply adore this story!!!!!!!!!!
Ali
I really liked this play.
☯Bettie☯
Micaeil
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
John Boynton Priestley, the son of a schoolmaster, was born in Bradford in September 1894, and after schooling he worked for a time in the local wool trade. Following the outbreak of the Great War in 1914, Priestley joined the British Army, and was sent to France --in 1915 taking part in the Battle of Loos. After being wounded in 1917 Priestley returned to England for six months; then, after going...more
More about J.B. Priestley...
An Inspector Calls The Good Companions Angel Pavement Lost Empires Bright Day

“But the point is, now, at this moment, or any moment, we're only cross-sections of our real selves. What we really are is the whole stretch of ourselves, all our time, and when we come to the end of this life, all those selves, all our time, will be us - the real you, the real me. And then perhaps we'll find ourselves in another time, which is only another kind of dream.” 6 likes
“Time's only a kind of dream, Kay. If it wasn't, it would have to destroy everything —the whole universe— and then remake it again every tenth of a second. But Time doesn't
destroy anything. It merely moves us on —in this life— from one peephole to the next.”
2 likes