Start by marking “Flower Fables (Barnes & Noble Digital Library)” as Want to Read:
Flower Fables (Barnes & Noble Digital Library)

Flower Fables (Barnes & Noble Digital Library)

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  16 reviews
At age 16, Louisa May Alcott wrote these fairy tales for Ralph Waldo Emerson's daughter Ellen. Six years later, in 1855, the collection was published as her first children's book. The magical stories include "The Frost King: or, The Power of Love," "Eva's Visit to Fairy-Land," "The Flower's Lesson," and "Little Bud."
Published February 1st 2011 by Barnes & Noble (first published February 17th 1849)

To ask other readers questions about Flower Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flower Fables

Amanda
I was uplifted by Louisa May Alcott's snippets of fairy life. I don't remember what I was expecting from this book, but it is now high on my list of favorites. It's free on Amazon Kindle.

We can learn many lessons from the fairies in this book. They embody the love of beautiful things, the unseen comforter of fallen sparrows and insects, the hope of diligent labor, and the contagious kindness of tender concern.

I like her interpretation of these magical creatures.
Ruth Sophia
Not one of Alcott's better works

These stories are nice and aim to teach the importance of virtue and the dangers of vice. Unfortunately, Alcott fails at making these tales attention grabbing, and as you read the fables it really starts to feel very long. Fortunately, this is not indicative of Alcott prowess as a writer and author - most of her other works are superior to this one. Honestly, I don't recommend the read unless either 1) you are an Alcott completest or 2) you are super into fairies
Phoenix
While I'm sure this is a delight for children, especially the religious children of civil-war era America, I found this children's book saccharine and strangely uninspiring. Even the darker moments (if you can really call them that) of these fables come off as anti-climactic and shallow, and I feel that the moral lessons of each tale have had their impact lessened because of a sort of forced censorship. It seemed like any consequences the protagonists of each tale suffered for not heeding the mo ...more
NebraskaIcebergs
If you are familiar with the name of Louisa May Alcott, you likely know her as the author of Little Women. You might also be familiar with the subsequent books about the March family – Good Wives, Jo’s Boys, Little Men – which are also based on Alcott’s life. You may not be aware, however, that Alcott wrote other children’s books, which eventually earned her the title in her lifetime of the “The Children’s Friend”. Nor may you be aware that Alcott’s first published book was actually a collection ...more
Connie
Louisa May Alcott wrote fables! (She also wrote thrillers.) Miss Alcott loved and was well acquainted with flowers, insects, birds and animals of the meadows and forest. From these beauties she spun adventures of enchanting nature's woodland fairies, telling them to children of friends of the Alcott family, Emerson, Hawthorne, and others. Each fable has a moral of sorts, a captivating way to inspire children to selfless, gentle, loving behavior. One, Lilybell and Thistledown, due to its length a ...more
Bethany Turner
Flower Fables is the type of book little girls' and boys' dreams are made of - adventure and travel and good and evil and fairies, lots of fairies. This collection of stories, originally told to Ellen Emerson (Ralph Waldo Emerson's daughter), transported me back to childhood and let my imagination run wild.
Therese
$0.0

LMA uses fairies and elves, flowers (along with a good queen at least) and birds to weave stories men to teach children about love, gentleness, kindness, and beauty. I wish the characters were better developed, and while the stories are rather simplistic (not necessarily a bad thing), I find them to be rather corny. Still LMA fans will probably appreciate this, not to mention I can imagine myself reading some of these to some young girl before she becomes jaded by our society as it is today.
Kirsten
I read this as a younger child. I really enjoyed the simple stories and obvious lessons. This is one of the few books I have gone back and reread which is significant because I hardly ever reread books. I recommend this book for young children, anywhere from age 2/3 to 7/8.
Lois
Feb 26, 2010 Lois marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
After glowing reviews from Sadie's teacher (she and I share a love of 'old' literature), and reading the Amazon reviews, I just ordered this book for Sadie's birthday and can't wait to get it so I can read it before I wrap it! Anyone else read/even heard of it?
Bonny
I have only read the first fable so far and I'm totally hooked! Even if the plot is altruistic and seems out of place, the fables have morals that are timeless. I plan to enjoy the rest of these fables. Louisa May Alcott has always been one of my favourite authors.
Malakeh Karameh
First i wont to say that i'm a big fun of Louisa May Alcott .

But i had trouble getting into this book ; and it was so boring that i couldn't finish it .i was so disappointment .
Rachael
What a darling, beautiful little book filled with sweet lessons about our humanity. Louisa May Alcott was a glorious writer. I loved every word.
Danielle
a bit "cheesy" (a word i don't use often, but fits this book to a T). Overly moral.
Helen Fosco
May 10, 2012 Helen Fosco is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having trouble getting into this book. I will try later to finish.
Lindsey
A cute book! I love picture books!
Jessica
We loved these sweet stories! They had beautiful morals to them as well.
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Emma Ramsey
Emma Ramsey marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Michelle Krug
Michelle Krug marked it as to-read
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Krista Joy Wagaman
Krista Joy Wagaman marked it as to-read
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Amanda - a Daughter of the Mennonites
  • Sanditon and The Watsons: Austen's Unfinished Novels
  • Dove Isabeau
  • Princess Charming (Princess School, #5)
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • Myths That Every Child Should Know: A Selection Of The Classic Myths Of All Times For Young People
  • Women and Ghosts: Tales
  • Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (Penguin Young Readers, L4)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Sleepers Of Mars
  • Is Heathcliff a Murderer?: Great Puzzles in Nineteenth-Century Fiction
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...
Little Women (Little Women, #1) Little Men (Little Women, #2) Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1) Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)