Start by marking “Schism: Part One of Triad” as Want to Read:
Schism: Part One of Triad

Schism: Part One of Triad (Saga of the Skolian Empire #10)

In 2002, Catherine Asaro won the Nebula Award for The Quantum Rose, the sixth novel in her Saga of the Skolian Empire. This very same novel was also named Best SF Novel by the Romantic Times. Schism: Part One of Triad is the tenth novel in this multiple award-winning series, and represents an excellent entry point into the series.

For Schism harkens back to the early years
Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Schism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schism

Kerry
Sep 24, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, 10, 2004
Like Skyfall before it, Schism is set prior to Catherine Asaro's other Skolian novels, this time telling the story of Roca and Eldrinson's children, with special focus on Soz's entrance to the Deshian Military Academy and her younger brother Shannon's adolescence.

Soz is seventeen as the book begins, determined to follow her older brother Althor off Lyshriol and become a Jagernaut. Her father is violently opposed to this, both because women are not warriors by Lyshrioli tradition and, more impor
Steve
Schism jumps you into the middle of a long series of books by Catherine Asaro. Multi-talented Asaro brings to her writing hard science (Harvard PhD in Chemical Physics), serious music (she's a jazz vocalist and dancer), and inclination toward space opera and soft romance of a young adult type, at least in this series. Intrigued? Schism seems a good place to start.

Schism comes toward the end of the series yet takes place in more of a prequel zone. I don't suspect you will suffer if you decide to
Lisa
I enjoyed this book, but only when I gave up trying to figure out what most of the proper names referred to. Most of the planet, empire, city, race, and family names were a vast puzzle to me until at least 200 pages into the book. That's a long time to be left in the dark when reading a book that deals at least partly with politics. I was told this was a good place to start reading in Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire books, but I'm just going to stick with my method of reading series books in th ...more
Diane
I really enjoyed this book. I would give it 3 1/2 stars if that were an option. But I'm trying to stick with GR's descriptions for the stars and reserving 5 stars only for the truly amazing books.

This one is very entertaining and a good introduction to Asaro's world, even if you haven't read the previous 9 books. This is the first in a trilogy, although I feel like this one and the 2nd one are really 2 parts of one long book.

Asaro is a physicist and an dancer/singer and I think that those two
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Skolian universe six thousand years ago a mysterious group of aliens took a group of humans and settled them on the world of Raylicon. The Ruby dynasty begins and spreads over hundreds or thousands of worlds. But because this was propped up on the alien technology spaceflight was lost. Several thousand years later spaceflight was rediscovered. A group of scientists started the Rhon project in order to use the ancient technology. An effort to create a more stable Rhon instead created the A ...more
Jadetyger Sevea
This book comes smack in the middle of a series. Even so, it was billed as a good entry point for newcomers. I ended up enjoying Schism by the end of the novel, but I admit it was slow going at first.

Schism suffers from two major faults. The first is a series of Tom Clancy-esque point of view switches. Thankfully, Asaro doesn't change POV
multiple times per chapter(as Clancy does). However, I wasn't as engaged with some characters as I was with others, and I was often impatient to skip less inter
Sandi
Apr 19, 2008 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, sci-fi
I wasn't expecting much from this book. I read it for an online group I belong to. My first impression (based on the hideous 1985 style cover) was that it would be one of those cheesy space operas with too many one-dimensional characters. I will say that it does get cheesy sometimes and it does have quite a few space opera cliches. But, it is a good book overall. Asaro has really thought out the science of her science fiction but doesn't beat us over the head with it. Her characters are fully re ...more
Catburglar
The story is interesting and enjoyable science fiction material. There are some romances. However, the writing style is weak. Too many abbreviations are not explained, probably because this is part of a saga and Asaro did not keep close track of where in each book the abbreviations first appeared. The 2004 hardback edition contains numerous typographical errors. There is too much backstory, i.e., telling, not showing. Perhaps Asaro also did not keep track of how many times she explained prior ev ...more
Kelly Flanagan
Mar 19, 2011 Kelly Flanagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an alright book. I wasn't enormously fond of it, nor did I feel the need to chuck it at the wall or open window. And, strangely enough, after I finished it, It tended to come to mind in odd times. Something only a book I enjoy does. So after a few days, I realize that even though my stack of 'to read' on my night stand is big (14 so far, always how holds go for me.. none for a month and a half, then bamn! 15 come in at once) I will read the rest of the series.
Oh, and might I also menti
Omly
Nov 04, 2007 Omly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A minor pet peeve of mine are books where a large number of the main characters have violet eyes. I am not sure why, perhaps simply because a lot of poorly written stuff I have read has that feature. Despite this book fits in the category of "filled with characters with violet eyes", it is a good read.

Similar to Anne McCaffrey's Rowan series, there is a family of psions/people with different degrees of empathy, telepathy etc. They are part of a network of people who allow faster than light trave
Iaan
Jul 18, 2015 Iaan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's sad to see Asaro pushing out more books when she's obviously lost any interest in the world she's created. Each book is successively more dumbed down and repetitive. In this novel she explained three times about Rhon psions and the psiberweb. I don't know why... Once would have been more than enough considering it is the foundation of the Skolian universe and every other book in the series. It'd be like if Tolkien explained how the rings were created three times in the last book of Lord of ...more
Joy
Sep 03, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this, especially the parts where Soz and Althor are at military school. It's a family story, in which each of the ten children of Roca and Eldri are trying to find their place in life. But then Eldri falls into disaster before he can reconcile with two of his children. SCHISM is a special achievement, engaging the reader with so many different characters. It's the first of a pair of books, so I went right on to THE FINAL KEY to finish the story.
Joni
Oct 25, 2007 Joni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fifantasy
This is like the 10th book in Asaro's books about the Skolian Empire. I found it interesting, but not terribly compelling. Asaro is very good at getting deep feelings out of the characters (and the reader too, or at least me), but I didn't feel there was much character development; this may be because this is only half a book.

I'm glad it's not compelling because I'm borrowing these books from the library and I can't just run out and get the next book; I'm compelled to wait.
Barbara
Jul 02, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
There's a lot of tell (as opposed to show) in this book and the author doesn't leave anything for the reader to figure out for themself (even a reader, like me, coming in without having read any of the previous books in this world). If you persevere past the first couple of chapters, though, it's worthwhile.
Elar
Aug 26, 2013 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Another historical novel where half of the story concentrates on royal family tragedies of
self-pitting and doubt (probably because of the emotionally too sensitive gene traits). Second half shows military academy routine - milder version of Ender's Game.

Only suggest if you really liked previous books as it is certainly only companion book to series
Cat
Apr 03, 2012 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started the Skolian empire books, Soz was my favorite character. I'm not certain this book fully lives up to my memory of my impression of Soz, and now I'm interested in reading these books in reverse publishing order (skolian timeline order). But having said that, I definitely enjoyed getting the backstory for how Soz first got started on her career path.
Richard
Feb 18, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asaro has improved. This novel (the first of a two-part series) contains much more action and intrigue than her previous books. It continues to detail the history of the "Ruby Empire," including way too much about familial relationships. Also, Ms. Asaro tends to repeat facts that provide continuity with earlier books in the story, but which have already been introduced in this book.
Lynne
Oct 11, 2010 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites in the Skolian series. Wonderful story with very believable characters. Soz is a marvelous character and the books with her in them are my favorites. Asaro has decent science behind her books but doesn't overwhelm the reader with too much explanation.
Staci
Jun 22, 2008 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is only the second science fiction novel that I've actually finished and I really enjoyed it. I really like the world that Asaro has created here. I will definitely continue reading books in this series.
Christina
Sep 01, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the first book by Catherine Asaro I've read, and I was impressed. I loved the characters and sympathized with their struggles, and I also thought the author did a good job balancing the two major settings. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the series soon.
Darcy Stewart
Sep 06, 2010 Darcy Stewart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredibly boring. I can't read books anymore that I'm not interested in. I got 30 pages and then went screw it. The author had nothing to give a 30 pages, so I set it down. By at most a book should get interesting at page 15.
Ferret
Jun 18, 2007 Ferret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Hmm... What to say? It's good, yes. Not great, but good. Nothing to write home about.
Patrick
fun and good character development, as usual for the author
Frank Taranto
Jul 07, 2008 Frank Taranto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A very good mix of Science Fiction and a love story. The love story is not just between a man and his wife, but a man and his family.
Shay
Jun 13, 2015 Shay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars for Soz and Althor, two stars (or less?) for Eldrinson and his immaturity, a solid two stars for Shannon, averaging out to three.
Cindywho
Sep 03, 2007 Cindywho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of Skyfall, the story is about Roca's children, primarily Soz. Less romance, more battles. (May 26, 2005)
Mia
Aug 15, 2010 Mia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f, read-2010
A fun and absorbing read, even if most of the characters seemed pretty formulaic. Formula = take a stock character type, and if convenient tweak one characteristic to create plot points.
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
re-read this tale of how Soz left Lyshriol and became a Jagernaut on 65/15/2014
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
  • Command Performance
  • Necessity's Child  (Liaden Universe #16)
  • Eternity Row (Stardoc, #5)
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1)
  • Miles Errant (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #4)
  • Fallen Host (LINK Angel, #2)
  • Judge (Wess'Har Wars, #6)
  • Dreamships
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine
More about Catherine Asaro...

Saga of the Skolian Empire (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)