Start by marking “The Breathing Method” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  3,071 ratings  ·  125 reviews
There is a strange club in New York where men tell each other stories. The years pass but no one looks any older. One night a doctor tells the story of a young woman who gives birth to a baby in the most horrible way! Evil psychic powers, obsession and the supernatural in the most ordinary, everyday places. A spine-chiller from the master of horror.
Paperback, Penguin Readers: Level 4, 57 pages
Published (first published December 18th 2007)

Nick Iuppa
GateGypsy
Oh, Stephen King, you are one of my favourite authors.
This was a real treat, stumbling across this little novella in audio form while searching the digital library for something for my younger sister. I listened to it in the space of an afternoon, between making lunch and eating it, whilst my child and then my husband napped, and the older kids got home from school.
This story is written from the perspective of a man who, by luck, it seems, is invited to a club one night, where the members make a
Aditya
Different Seasons consists of 4 novellas & all of them are basically character studies.It firmly established King as a pure literary genius & quashed all naysayers who had him typecast ed as a horror writer.It shows off the width & variety of human emotions that King could easily write about without ever sounding cheesy or unrealistic & how his style makes us care for characters whom we otherwise would have hated.I would provide a brief synopsis of each of the 4 novellas & wh ...more
Kristen Mcmahan
I really enjoyed reading this suspenseful story about stories or "tales." This is a story of a men's "club" who gather around once a week to drink fine wine and tell each other tales. The story is told from the point of view of David, however, the point of view changes to another character Emlyn McCarron who takes over to tell his uncanny Christmas tale. The story by Steven King is all about this story telling gentleman's club and how David came to be a "member." However, the purpose of writing ...more
Thom Swennes
One hears (much less find) a Men’s Club on this side of the Atlantic. What is commonplace with our English cousins is a rarity by us. What makes this masculine association even more enigmatic and strange is that it isn’t. What I mean is it isn’t a club in the traditional sense. There are no members, dues, or organization. It is simply an address where men go and be men; and tell stories. The concept of writing about something that isn’t is pure King. It also seems ironic that the truly great wri ...more
Dana
much horror, very frightening
Dorene
Classic King! He managed to weave in a plethora of details that just made the story more interesting instead of distracting or "filling." The best thing about this short story was that while it seemed to center on a stodgy old gentlemen's club (and never really resovled the vague mystery of that), it was actually about an eerie story told by one of the club members. Great stuff!
Dylan Crain
Out of all the stories in Different Seasons Shawshank Redemption was probably my overall favorite, followed by Apt Pupil, but The Breathing Method stuck with me the most. Day's after I read it I couldn't stop thinking about it! Very chilling!
Ariel
Classic Stephen King, even better listening to it on Audible, getting the full sense of his chilly tales. Also don't read if you are pregnant or thinking about getting pregnant. Glad LO is 8 months and I didn't find this gem sooner ...
Daniel Gonçalves
It may be one of his most shocking, yet touching and well written novellas. I recommend it dearly to all of his fans.
Abderrahmane Izri
This blew my mind, a must read story ..
Ryan
May 21, 2013 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Late-teens, young adults
Melissa
Unfortunately, my enjoyment of this novella was marred by the fact my audio copy was a dud. It skipped near-constantly, which meant that I had to keep the e-book open to read the whole paragraphs it missed out. I could and probably should have just switched over and read the whole thing, but instead I kept hoping it would fix itself. It was so short I figured I'd put up with it.

Not much over two hours, "The Breathing Method" is at least half the length of the others in the Different Seasons coll
CoffeeBook Chick
For my full review, click here: http://www.coffeeandabookchick.com/20...

Oh. My. Goodness. This three-hour audio punched me in the face and I loved it. This is the Stephen King that makes your knees buckle from the horror, and I was victim to it. Good gracious. Reeling, I am.

The Breathing Method is the final story in the collection by Stephen King, entitled Different Seasons. It is released separately in audio, and is under 3 hours.

Gathering in an unofficial club, gentleman share stories of their
Mkgrenwel
I listened to the entire Different Seasons collection but felt each story should be review separately, as they are so different. This is easily the weakest of the collection and feels a bit like it was just thrown in to round out the 4 story volume.

This story itself is two stories hastily cobbled together. The mysterious men's club storyline is genuinely interesting and engaging. After setting this up and piquing my interest, the narrative then diverts completely to a weird, earnest, mostly unc
Chris
Since I have read each story of different seasons individually, I decided to review each story by itself instead of the book as a whole. Technically I didn’t read different seasons. I listened to the audio version of The Body, Shawshank Redemption, and Apt Pupil. The breathing method I read in eBook version.

The breathing method was hauntingly intriguing. The story begins with a 60 year old man getting invited to a gentlemen’s club. Now this gentlemen’s club is a just a place where men get toget
Em
What did I think - Stephen King, what else is there? I Listened on Audible - about 2 1/2 hours worth. Narrated by Frank Muller, who I am beginning to think of as the voice of Stephen King. He has a wonderful, deep, gravelly, soothing voice that I could listen to all night (and have).

The Breathing Method is the tale of David, a middle aged lawyer who joins a gentleman's club. Not that kind of gentleman's club, one where the men enjoy a fine brandy and tell a fine tale, in front of a fine firepla
Mohsen Jim
Stephen King

Buchbesprechung von Jürgen Brandl

(simplified version)

About the author

Stephen King was born on September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. In 1949, when Stephen was 2 years old, his father left one night and never came back. There are a couple of turning points in his young life that he believes pointed him in the direction that he now is at. In 1954 he began to write stories. Around 1959, he found a box of horror and sci-fi books in his aunt's house. Those books brough
Ellen Mandly
This novella was contained in the compilation Different Seasons which had 4 stories including Shawshank Redemption and The Body AKA Stand By Me. I read it a long ago and didn't remember The Breathing, maybe due to the fact that it was overshadowed by Shawshank and The Body which is one of my favorite SK stories. This was a quick listen and I enjoyed it a lot and was pleased and surprised by the Q&A with SK at the end written in 1982.
Janet
As Stephen King goes, this was fairly ordinary. King is doing his best Poe narrative in this gothic telling of a strange gentlemen's club on the Upper East Side with a mysterious butler with a Brooklyn accent who hosts this strangely well-heeled club with no visible means of support. Set in a traditional brownstone with psychological overshadowing of a horrible nature, the actual plot centers around a tale told by one of the members, a narrative surrounding Lamaze breathing techniques and a beau ...more
Jason
I found myself drawn in to this story pretty quickly and deeply. The resolution was a little campy but was kind of fun in the sense that many of his books end pretty seriously. I actually found a bit of humor in this ending. If this club truly existed I would definitely want to put on my finest paisley sport coat and pay a visit.
Matt
This story was OK, might have seemed better if it didn't follow up such great ones. It was also the shortest so was a little on the disappointing side. My brief synopsis gives away the gruesome ending.

The Breathing Method is about an old lawyer who finally gets invited to his company's club, where they tell stories, and have things that just aren't quite right (this a tie in to King's ever present Dark Tower world). But that isn't really the story. The real story is told at this club by an old d
Emmy
This was a short, eerie read. Of course, Frank Muller did an excellent job reading. I think his voice helped this story and creeped me out more than if I had just read it not on audio. I really liked the entire 'Breathing Method' story within a story, but wasn't as thrilled with the 'Club' parts of the story.
Mariana
Este cuento es maravilloso y literal es un cuento dentro de otro cuento jajaja, ambos me encantaron y me mantuvieron intrigada todo el tiempo. La forma de narrar de Stephen King es envidiable y poderosa, es el maestro del terror, del suspenso, ¡es el REY!
Me encantó las cuatro estaciones 2! Un libro que mantendré en mi memoria por siempre.
Sarah C
I finally finished my circuitous tour of Different Seasons. Ending on Breathing Method was underwhelming. There's style and gore to this--perhaps all a fan could ask for. Still, my thoughts on Breathing Method can be summized with, "meh."
Melek Yılmaz
KİTAP SINAVDA ÇIKTI.
LANET OLASI KİTAP.
ya anlamıyorum, tamam bazı tıbbi gerçekler var ama bu biraz zoraki yaşatma çabasıydı. Kitap elimizden çok hızlı aktı, bu açıdan güzeldi ama keşke sınavdan önce okusaydım da bana bir yararı olsaydı.
Rotem
It's the fourth book I read by Stephen King and I must say I just can't get enough of his writing! He is so versatile in his writing... Breathtakingly beautiful ideas along side severed heads, can it get any better?!
Amy
This story makes me think that Stephen King channels Poe. Say what you will about his gore or horror bent - but his mastery of pace and lyrical composition shoves your rear end to the edge of your seat and keeps you reading.
Azel Gallardo
There are questions left unanswered and it's frustrating but I liked the story. It really scared me that I had to sleep with the lights on. And thank you, Sir Stephen King, for taking my fear of pregnancy to a whole new level, haha.
Kasia Kopycińska
Mam czytnik ebooków więc mogę czytać Kinga w tramwaju bez wstydu, kto mi zabroni. King jak King, ale przedwojenny Nowy Jork skuty lodem - piękna sprawa, gdy za oknem Warszawa w deszczu.
Stephen King Fans: The Breathing Method-DS 8 115 Nov 26, 2012 11:58PM
  • Night Visions 5
  • Rage
  • Transgressions
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • The Thing on the Doorstep (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • Misery (Penguin Readers Level 6)
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • Night Terrors (Savage Species, #1)
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • The Fury
  • The Twilight Zone: Complete Stories
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
  • 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • One on One
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“She was smart and terribly determined, this girl-her will was pure steel, through and through-but she was as human as anyone else. She was lonely, too. Lonely in a way that perhaps only single girls fresh from small Midwestern towns know. Homesickness is not always a vague, nostalgic, almost beautiful emotion, although that is somehow the way we always seem to picture it in our mind. It can be a terribly keen blade, not just a sickness in metaphor but in fact as well. It can change the way one looks at the world; the faces one sees in the street look not just indifferent but ugly....perhaps even malignant. Homesickness is a real sickness- the ache of the uprooted plant.” 46 likes
“Homesickness is not always a vague, nostalgic, almost beautiful emotion, although that is somehow the way we always seem to picture it in our mind. It can be a terribly keen blade, not just a sickness in metaphor but in fact as well. It can change the way one looks at the world; the faces one sees in the street look not just indifferent but ugly... perhaps even malignant. Homesickness is a real sickness--the ache of the uprooted plant.” 10 likes