Unison Spark

Unison Spark

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  25 reviews

Everyone is obsessed with Unison, the social network that knows you better than you know yourself. Everyone who can afford it, that is. Living beneath the vast ceiling that separates Eastern Seaboard City into rich topside and poor sub-canopy zones, fifteen-year-old Mistletoe can only dream of logging in and has to make do with technological hand-me-downs.
Worlds collide
Published November 8th 2011 by Henry Holt

Katie
Unison Spark is a very unique story and a great debut novel from Andy Marino. I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading his future books.

The world of ESC and Unison is unlike any I have read about. Unison is basically the king of social networks and it is scary to think that someday we might come to that point. I really think the world that Andy Marino created is his strongest point. I loved reading about it and how it got to where it was.

The characters, on the other hand, were th...more
Hylary Locsin
Originally posted on my blog: http://libraryladyhylary.blogspot.com ! Check it out for more reviews!

In the futuristic town of Eastern Seaboard City, society is divided into the canopy and sub-canopy zones, separated by a steel barrier that keeps the rich and poor from intermingling. Fifteen-year-old Mistletoe lives in the sub-canopy with her guardian, Jiri, dreaming of what life must be like topside for those who can afford to be a part of Unison. Described as the great-great-grandchild of Faceb...more
Megan Bodwell
I am pretty sure that I liked this book. The premise was very interesting; a future with the main dividing point between the haves and the have nots is the ability (meaning the money) to log into the most fantastic social network every created. The story follows two teenagers, one from each side of the canopy, as they try to discover themselves (literally).

As I said before, the premise of the book is intriguing, as was the summary. However, I got lost in a lot of the descriptions. They seemed l...more
Ms. Yingling
I have developed Dystopia Overload.
From the Publisher: " Fifteen-year-old Mistletoe lives in the sub-canopy zone amid poverty and outdated technology, but when she meets Ambrose Truax, the privileged sixteen-year-old heir to the Unison empire and they discover they share a sinister link, they begin a frightening journey into the uncharted territory of the Unison 3.0 upgrade."

This one started out well, and I think that it is interesting that more and more of the dystopian books (like Cinder) are...more
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Unison 3.0 is a fast paced and interesting sci-fi which I enjoyed and left me with lots of think about.

The reason why I think this book will appeal to Young Adults is because it is really fast paced and plays around with a lot of ideas about social network and the place it will evolve to in the future which in all honesty is quite a scary idea. It follows the story of two characters, Ambrose and Mistletoe two teenagers. Ambrose comes from the upper-level and has spent his life and career involv...more
Cassandra (The Book & Movie Dimension blogger)
--Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog--

Unison Spark 2.0 is a new update from Facebook and the old Twitter that has never before been seen. A program that makes you feel like your actually physically part of a huge digital world. Once your plugged in your in it as if your in real life. People there have popularity stats in a way to allow ranking. Ambrose Truax is the heir to the empire of Unison Spark and son of Martin Truax, so his ranking is the highest and mo...more
Ravenous Biblioworm
Rating: 2.5/5

And I thought the social networking craze of today was crazy. Mistletoe’s (aka Anna) world is even more insane. Marino creates a very interesting world with characters that propel forward into the midst of the ultimate social networking place. As I read through the novel, there are moments were I can relate to the book because of its references to the social networking world. But near the end the story jumbles and losing its grip on a firm reality. The web becomes real and reality b...more
Rene Kirkpatrick
I really liked this book.

It was fun, futuristic, science-y, filled with villains you can't tell apart from family.

Unison is a social network that knows you better than you do and everyone who can afford it uses it. Our heroine, Mistletoe, lives in a world under the canopy, it reminds me of descriptions of the slums in Brazil, only bigger, building one on top of the other, hidden under the city of the wealthy. The poor live under a ceiling that the wealthy have built on top of, no electricity,...more
Hudson
I give this book two stars based on the Goodreads scale: "it was OK." This, I believe, sums up "Unison Spark;" while not an excellent book, it was worth reading. It must be taken into consideration that Andy Marino is a new author, this being his first book; this fact is apparent in "Unison Spark's" dialogue and setup. However, the book itself was indeed interesting--Mistletoe, the lead character, experiences some interesting and original plot twists that kept me reading. Ambrose Truax, the othe...more
Michelle Rocha
The idea of this book is great and I had pretty high hopes before I started but it just didn't hook me the way I expected it too. Terms like process flow and thought stream were too confusing to figure out and I wasn't invested enough in the plot or characters to spend the mental energy to work it all out in my brain. It was an overall frustrating book to read and it took me over two weeks to get through it. I would imagine many students feeling the same frustration. It could have been a great b...more
Stephanie
Lots of holes, Facebook takes over society
Jeremiah
Entry 1-
Ambrose and Mistletoe aka.Anna are the main characters and protagonists.Aunt Dita and anyone else for their cause is bad. Martin Truaxand his gang are very bad and are antagonists.

Entry 2-
The setting is on Nelson and in Unison.The point of view switches bet Ambose and Mistletoe.

Entry 3-
These people created Ambrose and Mistletoe from a tube and since they are getting too old the police and Martin Truax, the most prominent person are after them, but Ambrose and Mistletoe defeat Martin.
Erin Sterling
Unison Spark - the social network that knows you better than you know yourself, if you're wealthy enough that is. Solid science fiction about a social network virtual reality world, a girl who lives in the sub-canopy of this futuristic world who has never used Unison Spark, and her encounter with the heir of the social network throne who is discovering secrets he didn't want to know. Fast-paced, exciting, but not my favorite dystopian/sci fi for teens.
slayra
RATING: 2.5 stars.

I'm not sure about this book. I think it would have been great if the author had developed the story a lot more. As it was it was little more than a short story and I felt we didn't get to know Ambrose and Mistletoe much.

It was very "Uglies" in a way and also a mesh between 'The Matrix' and 'The Social Network'.

Full review to come.
Jaime Kennett
This book was very confusing and kept losing me. I kept finding myself saying, "Wait, what?" and having to reread to see if I missed something. Nope. It was just completely disjointed. I really tried to like like this book, however it ended up being me just trying to get through the book in hopes that it would all come together. Sadly, it did not.
Clare
I just couldn't get into this somewhat clunkily written young adult book. The premise seemed to fall somewhere between the Matrix (people in machines) and Avatar (Long blue hair - optic fibres etc.)

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful as such - I'd just rather spend my time reading something I don't have to mentally scoff at.
Saralibrary
I greatly enjoyed the first two-thirds of Unison Spark, but got a bit confused towards the end. Some of the details of the final reveal were a bit muddled and frantic. I liked the basic idea of the book, though and it's a great read for teens and tweens who enjoy science fiction.
Espe
En realidad un 2,5
Mrs. Schatz
Just never quite got this book. I didn't pay enough attention during the read and I lost it somewhere. Not sure why I even finished it. Guess I believed it would explain itself. This is not for the casual reader. The reader needs to like computers/data/science fiction.
Sam Musher
A fun mind-bending bit of sci-fi. I can see it appealing to the kids who loved Uglies more for the action and the world creation than for the fantasy-fulfillment of being Pretty. (Full review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2011/06/...)
Aererion // Javi
Decepcionante, se mete en mil cosas que, debido entre otras cosas a su corta duración, sólo consiguen liar un mediocre argumento principal. Puede que con 5 años menos se hubiera merecido 3 o incluso 4 estrellas, pero ahora se quedaría en unas 2.5
Beth
Meet a character with blue pigtails named Mistletoe. She's going to learn that nothing is what she thought it would be. If you like The Gardener than this book is right up your alley.
Connor
This book wasn't very good I didn't like it. I would not recommend this book.
Eliza
Fresh, new and different story that definitely had a creepier side to it.
Tina Wagner
Tina Wagner marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Celine Chen
Celine Chen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
  • The Edumacation of Jay Baker
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • Void (Hex, #1-3)
  • Neva
  • Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (7.8 #1)
  • Asche und Phönix
  • The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)
  • A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie
  • Invasion
  • Living in Darkness (Bloodbreeders, #1)
  • Suspense (The Spencer Nye Trilogy #1)
  • Outcast: A Defiance Novella
  • Concisus (Verita, #2)
  • Zweilicht
  • WE
  • Relax, I'm a Ninja
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
  • Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends #3
Andy Marino was born and raised in upstate New York. He spent his childhood orchestrating Lego pirate battles, drawing detailed maps of imaginary video games, and cheating death in Choose Your Own Adventure books. Profoundly influenced by the work of J.R.R. Tolkien and the movie Bloodsport, he started writing his first novel at the age of eleven. Tragically, THE RUNES OF ILLIARM was never complete...more
More about Andy Marino...
Uncrashable Dakota The Oregon Trail Diary of Willa Porter: A Tor.Com Original The Door Modi's Yatra to Power (Harper 21)