Start by marking “Wodney Wat's Wobot” as Want to Read:
Wodney Wat's Wobot

Wodney Wat's Wobot

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When Wodney must face off against that big bully Camilla Capybara for a second time, a talking robot becomes his secret weapon. The meek wodent . . . er, rodent . . . hero with a speech impediment and a heart of gold is back! So is Camilla Capybara—the BIG bully who makes poor Wodney and his classmates tremble. But this time, Wodney has a secret weapon: a robot that helps ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wodney Wat's Wobot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wodney Wat's Wobot

Barbara
When Rodney Rat receives a talking robot for his birthday, he is delighted to find that it can easily pronounce the letter r with which he struggles. The robot is a huge hit with his classmates too until Camilla Capybara returns to school from a stay out West. Not only does the "World's Meanest Rodent" (unpaginated), bully the other students and the teacher, Miss Fuzzleworth, but she picks on Rodney when his robot quits working, and his stutter becomes obvious. But the funny sounds it starts to ...more
babyhippoface
Wodney Wat has weturned! (And pwease wecognize it is weally, wigorously hard for me to wesist the urge to wite this whole weview in Wodney's voice.)

Last time we saw Wodney Wat, he and his classmates were wejoicing--er, rejoicing, at the departure of Camilla Capybara, class bully. Now it's Wodney's birthday, and he gets a really cool gift--a robot! Not just any robot, but a talking robot that repeats whatever it hears and has no trouble at all pronouncing its Rs. This robot just might being Wodne
Courtney Lauren Smith
Wodney Wat's Wobot by Helen Lester is such a cute book for children. Wodney Wat, who is really named Rodney Rat, has a speech impediment, or lisp, that makes pronouncing R's very difficult for him. For his birthday Rodney receives a talking robot who copies everything he says, but pronounces the R's for him. This makes it easier for everyone around him to understand what he is saying much easier. Everything was going good until the school bully came back to his school and Rodney Robot would end ...more
Brittaney Reed
Lester, H. (2011). Wodney wat's wobot. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.

"Wodney Wat's Wobot" by Helen Lester and illustrated by Lynn Munsinger is a enjoyable story of Rodney Rat. When he gets a talking robot for his birthday Rodney is elated because he can have the robot pronounce the letter R when Rodney struggles. Rodney brings his robot everywhere and all his classmates love it. That is until the class bully Camilla Capybara returns to school. Camilla Capybara is mean to
Mary Lee
The charm of this book escapes me.
Allison
kind of disappointing!
David
Wodney Wat's Wobot by Helen Lester, illustrated by Lynn M. Munsinger tells the tale of Wodney and his robot, the return of big bully Camilla Capybara, and a solution to the bully problem.

Munsinger's detailed, colorful illustrations focus on the rodents. The facial expressions are effectively and amusingly portrayed. The idea of a rat robot is hysterical! I loved that the robot's button was at the end of its nose. My favorite images are everyone tries, lunch, Howdy!, Camilla in hat, tiger, opera
Beverly
Summary: When Wodney must face off against that big bully Camilla Capybara for a second time, a talking robot becomes his secret weapon. The meek wodent . . . er, rodent . . . hero with a speech impediment and a heart of gold is back! So is Camilla Capybara—the BIG bully who makes poor Wodney and his classmates tremble. But this time, Wodney has a secret weapon: a robot that helps him pronounce his r’s and seems to be just the thing to scare Camilla away for good.

What I liked about the book: I l
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 12/7/11 -

I didn't think I'd like this very much, what with the 'w' instead of the 'r' thing and all but it's really not bad. Julia had a grand time listening to me substitute a 'w' sound for the 'r' sound each time and was laughing so hard she was holding her stomach. I kind of exaggerated but hey, how could I not?
I didn't read the reviews but I can bet there are - or will be in the near future - some from parents mad that the kid uses a robot to help him speak, doesn't fix
Dolly
Dec 31, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read Hooway for Wodney Wat, also by Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger and thought is was an entertaining story. We saw that there was a sequel and just had to check it out. Unfortunately we weren't able to get an audio version as well, so I had to do my best with the voices. The narrative was humorous and the illustrations are just as charming as in the first story. I think we enjoyed the first story more, but that's not unusual with sequels. Overall, it was an entertaining tale and we ...more
Megan Marvel
Again, what's with this series? Everyone (kids and teacher included) is either bullied or a bully (really, everyone is bullied and then BECOMES a bully or vice versa). This isn't what I would give to kids as an example of how to overcome bullies.
Heather M. Riley
I had no idea that there was a sequel to Howay for Wodney Wat until I spotted it on accident at work tonight. Wodney is absolutely adorable, and I'm definitely buying this one for my personal collection.
Paul
The sequel to "Hooway for Wodney Wat," this book finds our hero getting a Wobot and the return of his nemesis, Camilla Capybara. The robot helps to keep her at bay, though, in a most delightful way.
Kayla
it was a nice book it introduced bullying and exposed speech impediments the robot helped the rodent pronounce his 'r' I would read this book to children for the sake of bullying.
Kaley Matous
Wodney Wat is a great lesson for standing up to bullies and being confident with who you are. I could teach this lesson in k-3rd grade classrooms.
Aprils
I thought that making fun of someone with a speech impediment was not very nice. Also, I didn't like the bullying storyline.
Arminzerella
Paul
I didn't expect this book to deliver because of how cute the illustrations first appeared - I set it aside without starting because of this. Turned out to be fun reading. The depiction of the main rodent-character's struggle with his Rs, the entrance of a speech-correcting robot for his birthday, and a bully of a capybara together create enough tension, conflict and verbal gags to make this story work.
Mary
Rodney is hindered by a speech impediment in which all of his "R's" come out sounding like "W's." His friends buy him a talking robot which corrects his speech impediment. Little does he know that the robot will help him and his friends defeat a bully that returns to the school. A good book that kids can relate to. The emotions on the rodents are perfect.
Relyn
Mar 17, 2013 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at my library
Shelves: lawsonland
One of my favorite teaching books ever is Hooway for Wodney Wat so I wasn't sure if a sequel could live up to the original. I enjoyed it when I read it, but didn't love it. My students, on the other hand, adored it. Most voted this one better than the first. Of course, you can't really have this one with out the first...
Linda
Wodney returns (or should I say wetuwns!) and receives a robot as a gift from his classmates. The robot will repeat everything Wodney says except he can pronouce his R's! Everything is working out great until Camille Capybara returns from out west to continue her role as class bully! Once again Wodney saves the day and the classroom!
Heidi
Another fun Wodney Wat adventure. I enjoy these stories, but know I can never read them aloud in a storytime as I would trip up terribly! (Rodney and I share the same speech impediment, and I still slip up every now and then.) I like the Camilla was helpful at one point, even if she was still a bit of a bully.
Taryn
I love Lester's work, but the bully is just so mean in this book. Perhaps my four-yr-old is too young for this still, or perhaps I'm trying to shield her from the reality of the world, I don't know. But I think she just plows over the teacher and she's so one-sidedly mean... That's not realistic to me.
Erin
I usually enjoy books by Lester but this one just disappointed me. The robot helping Wodney with his r's really went no where and the school bully was written oddly. Just seemed like this book had no real plot. I'll need to go read a Tacky book to help me remember my love for Lester.
Nicole
Very cute. Rodney "aka Wodney" has trouble saying his R's, so he always puts W's in their place. Then he gets a robot for his birthday, and the robot is able to help him by translating his speech appropriately for others...
jacky
This is a book about a bully who gets what's coming to her. I found it just alright. It made a pretty good read aloud because there was lots of opportunity to have fun with voices and inflection.
Heather
32 months - this takes a read or two to get down Wodney's speech impediment. Both my husband and O enjoyed listening to me loose all the "W's" for "R's". Beyond that the story is ok.
Tam
I read this book to my 4-year-old but he didn't seem to like it and neither did I. I didn't like the way the bully spoke to the class or the way the class got rid of her.

Jen
Cute classic overcoming-a-bully story with a robot and a stutter thrown in for good measure. How can you go wrong! I think Preschoolers and older would enjoy it.
Jessica
Cute story of Rodney Rat, who has trouble saying his Rs. Hence Wodney Wat, who gets a Wobot to help me talk. It's adorable and fun readaloud.
  • Wolf Won't Bite!
  • Curious George Plants A Tree
  • Clink
  • Noni The Pony
  • Silly Goose's Big Story
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • Betsy Red Hoodie
  • Poor Puppy
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • The Black Rabbit
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • White Is for Blueberry
  • Stay: The True Story of Ten Dogs
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Homer, the Library Cat
  • Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big
Tacky the Penguin Hooway for Wodney Wat A Porcupine Named Fluffy Three Cheers for Tacky Me First