Start by marking “Rouge rubis (La Trilogie des Gemmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rouge rubis (La Trilogie des Gemmes, #1)

Rouge rubis (Edelstein-Trilogie #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  78,472 Ratings  ·  8,049 Reviews
Gwendolyn a 16 ans. Elle vit à Londres. Vie normale, scolarité normale dans une grande école privée, famille normale, en apparence... Car cette famille a un secret : certaines filles sont porteuses d’un gène qui leur permet de voyager dans le temps.

Le premier tome d’une trilogie exceptionnelle. Une histoire qui mêle délicieusement trois thèmes : l’adolescence, l’amour et l
Broché, 349 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Milan (first published January 6th 2009)

Sasha Alsberg
Nov 20, 2012 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be uploading my review to my YouTube channel abookutopia!! (I review both the book & the movie).
Loved this book!!!
Ariel
Dec 25, 2012 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.. It's 2:42am! THIS DARNED GREAT BOOK MADE ME STAY UP SO LATE!
____________

Okay! So it's the 27th now, and I'm ready to write my review. The first thing that should be apparent is that I loved this book. I gave it 5/5 stars, and it kept me up into the ridiculous hours of the night on both of the days that I read it. I recommend it to all!

Now, let's break it up.

Firstly, plot. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because it was constantly exciting. The plot kept up at a grea
Emily May
DNF - 25%

Consider checking out Tatiana's review before reading this book, as I should have done. Because there's nothing terribly wrong with Ruby Red other than the fact that it feels very young and immature. I think I would have loved this about 10 years ago, but now the silliness and mental age of the narrator is off-putting.

The characters are in their mid-to-late teens but all of them feel like middle school kids. Take these two early scenes:

Mr Whitman took Gordon's test back from him, turned
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 01, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Gwen is such a charming and funny character, her voice and personality were great! The time travel aspect was well thought out, and I'm really liking how the main mystery is developing. Definitely looking forward to finishing this trilogy! (Even though the third book doesn't come out until OCTOBER! *sigh*)
Christine Riccio
I had so much fun reading this book. I love the narrator! I just posted my booktalk/discussion: http://youtu.be/b5bTqUrWG2I =D
Tatiana
Feb 18, 2011 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tween girls
I knew Ruby Red wouldn't be quite my type of YA lit after reading first couple of pages of it. Even though the main character, Gwyneth, is 16 going on 17, she sounds about 12. Naturally, a quick decision-maker that I am, I made up my mind to drop it right after finishing chapter 1. After finishing chapter 1 I decided to drop it after chapter 2, and so it went...

Gwyneth is a member of the family of time-travelers. Every other generation or so her family produces a girl who starts uncontrollably t
Etnik
4 SOLID STARS!

description

Full review to come!
Cait • A Page with a View
This series is so underrated! (Update: underrated in America. Europe knows what's up).

It's a pretty unique time traveling plot that almost reads like middle grade at times, but the story is fun enough that that doesn't ruin anything.

It starts out in modern times with Gwyneth watching her cousin train to be a time traveler. One person in each generation in their large family is born with the ability to travel back in time (they can't control it -- they just suddenly vanish) and everyone assumes
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I just love this trilogy! It's funny, it's witty, it's super surprising and clever. If I need something to cheer me up I just know that the Precious Stone trilogy is the right thing to read. I just flip through the pages and hours go by unnoticed. Which is why it's one of my favourites. The plot is so light and fast-paced, this is easi
Anja
Nov 29, 2014 Anja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.25 TIME TRAVELING STARS*

Well, this was quite interesting and unique! I haven't read anything like this yet! I didn't love it as much as other young adult books out there, but I think that's mainly because I listened to this as an audiobook, which I've never done before. It took me a while to get used to the reader's posh British accent but eventually I really got into it! The story is centered in England so it was kind of fitting anyway.

First of all, I loved the whole time traveling idea and
Duchess Nicole
Sometimes I really wonder what young adults see in certain young adult books. This series has pretty good ratings but I just don't see it. I was so bored for the first eighty percent of the book. I felt as if I had no idea who this heroine really was. I don't even think it says how old she is until late in the book, which left me feeling a little off about her character. Since each year makes a big difference when it comes to teens, not knowing if she was twelve or seventeen was weird. So much o ...more
Edel

Before I delve into this review I first want to point something out - I should NEVER have picked up this book. Why you may ask? Well, because this does not even remotely sound like a book I would enjoy. The blurb alone would be evidence enough of that, two particular sentences stand out the most:

"can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesley, watching movies and talking about boys."

Oh and it gets worse...

"He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen i
Cara
Apr 18, 2011 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
I decided I was going to take some time to percolate my ideas for this book, but it's still up in the air what I exactly think. Had some aspects I liked (i.e. time-travel), and others I didn't (i.e. the arc of the story).

All right synopsis first: Gwen is a sixteen-year-old girl who lives in London (the book was written in German originally so I'm not sure why that setting was chosen). Normal enough, but she comes from a family who can time-travel. Thankfully the gene bypassed her and was given t
Lara
Nov 21, 2015 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was an enjoyable read.

I liked this book. It was fast paced and a cute story. I would lie if I say I like the majority of the characters. I felt a little sad for Gwendolyn because almost everyone around her acted like spoiled brats however, I'd survive anything if I had a best friend like Leslie.

Overall it was a short and quick r
Cherry
Sep 26, 2015 Cherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description
“Ready when you are.”

Ruby red, with G major, the magic of the raven, brings the Circle of Twelve home into safe haven.

This book is incredibly mind-blowing.
Time travel. Chronograph. Ghost-encounter.
With a good amount of suspense and mystery.
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Jul 05, 2014 Yesy (The Book Vagrant) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Well that was a fun ride! I read this in one sitting for the #rainbowthon 2.0 and I really enjoyed it!

I definitely feel like this was a great opening and solid setup for the rest of the trilogy; but while it was incredibly fun there was definitely no rising action or climax in the story. It was also a bit predictable (seriously, I saw that twist coming from the prologue) but I love Gwen (and her friendship with Lesley!) so much that that didn't bother me as much as it usually does. I liked figur
Nicole

Gwyneth is a 16 years old school girl. She was raised in a family full of secrets where her cousin Charlotte was the center of attention and care. After all, she was the gene carrier. She can travel back in time and thus she should be prepared. Gwyneth never envied her, though. She always helped Charlotte who was pretty much arrogant. But she was going through a lot, right? She has to learn everything about the past, learn new languages and maintain high grades. Until all her efforts

Jaz

I can seriously not express my love for this book. Maybe a five star rating is a little bit too much but literally my mind is blown at this moment!!
Andis/Slytherin
May 04, 2015 Andis/Slytherin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So incredible and fast paced! (it is so hard to write a good short novel)
I flew right through it, and there was a point about mid way through the book where I was kinda confused but not once was the writing ever bad.
3.8 stars!
Eileen
Feb 18, 2017 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich bin so begeistert von diesem Buch, dass ich es in weniger als 24 Stunden gelesen habe. (Das heißt schon etwas, oder? Schließlich passiert das auch nicht bei jedem Buch.)

Die Charaktere waren sympathisch, vielfältig und teilweise auch etwas unheimlich.
Die Geschichte hat mir bisher sehr gut gefallen. Ich habe immer mit unseren Hauptprotagonisten mitgefiebert.

Ich kann gar nicht so recht glauben, dass ich so lange gebraucht habe, um diese Trilogie zu beginnen. Ich freue mich schon auf den 2. Te
Nikoleta
Feb 11, 2013 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Καλό, ωραία υπόθεση, ενδιαφέρον και ψαγμένος κόσμος: μια θεία που βλέπει οράματα, ένας μαυροντυμένος που παρακολουθεί το σπίτι από τη γωνία, χαμένοι συγγενεις, φαντάσματα, ένας μπάτλερ που μοιάζει να το έσκασε από τον 18ο αι., ένας υπερόπτης (αν και κούκλος) νεαρός, για να μην μιλήσω για τα ταξίδια στο χρόνο και τα ατελείωτα γενεαλογικά δέντρα που σκαρφίστηκε η συγγραφέας.
Όμως κάπου το γλυκό δεν έδεσε. Tο περίμενα πολύ καλύτερο, διότι πάνω από το μισό βιβλίο έχει αρκετά αργή πλοκή, πολλές περιτ
Sam Willows
I actually give this a 4.5, but it was insulting for this magnificent book to be with te rest of the 4 star ones. This book hasn't reached its full potential, due to the "action" only starting over 50% of the book, but I loved it anyway.
I'll definitely change my rating through time, because right now I feel fluffy inside (I just finished the book) and I NEED MORE.
I believe this series will become a favorite of mine!
Cynn
Mar 16, 2014 Cynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sí,me gustó, me gustó, me gustó y muuuuucho.

En Ruby Red nos encontramos con una historia sobre viajeros del tiempo. Se centra en la vida de Gwendolyn, una adolescente de 16 años que al parecer nunca imaginó que ella podía ser la portadora del "especial gen familiar". Este gen especial es poder viajar al pasado. Cuando ocurre el llamado salto (que sería cambiar de una época a otra) puede estar 10 segundos, 30 minutos o 3 horas en el mismo lugar en el que se encontraba antes de saltar pero en otra
Brittain (Tara Belle Talking)

Unpopular opinion time!

I came so incredibly close to DNF-ing this. A bunch of my friends gave lovely reviews to this book but I saw Rachel had given it a one star and I was immediately apprehensive. We tend to have similar taste, especially with fantasy (and wedding dresses) or whatever the hell this was so I should have known better.

I have never been so bored with a fantasy novel. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. Yes, we get that Gwyneth is is special and she has powers
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Gonna read this gonna read this hooray
Amelie
Stand: 2010

Warum das Buch eines der besten Jugendbücher ist und ihr es deshalb lesen solltet?

1. Der humorvolle Schreibstil
Zunächst einmal die ganzen Wortspiele. Wie beispielsweise "... dass in der Vergangenheit nicht mehr alles so ist wie es mal war" Dann die unglaublich witzigen Stellen, in denen versucht wird, die deutschen Tempora anzuwenden. Aber Konjunktiv mit Vergangenheit UND Futur ist eben nicht möglich ^^ Wenn etwas schon passiert ist, was noch passieren wird... Außerdem die lustigen, f
Giulia

Well, this was indeed quite lovely. I had a lot of fun reading this book, and it was the perfect read at the perfect time, since I am still emotionally scarred by Captive Prince.
Ruby Red is what I would recommend if you're in a reading slump and trying to get out of it, if you are stressed and need something quick and funny to read or if, like me, you've just finished reading an emotionally challenging book. At first I wasn't really fond of the writing, since it's extremely simplistic (
Susan
Aug 14, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind is literally blown at this moment. All I am really capable of doing is gaping at the computer screen and desperately wishing the sequel, SAPPHIRE BLUE, was available now. Or that my German skills were better so I could tackle book 2 in its original form.

This book is SO. GOOD. Buy it--don't even wait to read this review. Just run to the nearest store or library and start reading.

First of all, Gwyneth is one of the most likable heroines ever. Yes, truly. Ever. She's hilarious, brave, cleve
Taneika
Dec 17, 2013 Taneika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tstl-heroine
All in all, Gwen annoyed the shit out of me (she was idiotic), there are giant, gaping plot holes, and while I understand a lot of these will probably be answered in the other two books (it certainly feels like part one of a big story, instead of having its own seperate arc within a bigger picture), it just wasn't enough to be satisfying. Like, what is the point of only travelling in time for 2 minutes or whatever at a time if this time travelling gene is so rare? What is the point. The time tra ...more
Ecmel Soylu
Mar 08, 2015 Ecmel Soylu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ya ben çok sevdim bunu*-*
Aşırı kolay okunan tatlış, komik ve eğlenceli bi kitaptı. Kafa dağıtmaya birebir bence *-*
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Faunblut
  • Splitterherz (Splitterherz, #1)
  • Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • Cascade (River of Time, #2)
  • Saeculum
  • Alica
  • Whisper
  • Nebezpečná láska (Bavettovi, #1)
  • Der Kuss des Kjer
  • Wildwing
  • Dark Canopy (Dark Canopy, #1)
  • Die Katastrophe (Das Tal Season 1, #2)
  • Cherry Red Summer (Kirschroter Sommer #1)
  • Dark Passage (Dark Mirror, #2)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.

More about Kerstin Gier...

Edelstein-Trilogie (3 books)
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein-Trilogie, #2)
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein-Trilogie, #3)

6 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“You were talking to that niche in the wall again, Gwyneth. I saw you."

"Yes, but it's my favorite bit of wall, Gordon. I'd hurt its feelings if I didn't stop and talk to it.”
504 likes
“If we were in a film, the villain would turn out to be the least-expected person. But as we aren’t in a film, I’d go for the character who tried to strangle you.” 457 likes