Start by marking “The Fir Tree” as Want to Read:
The Fir Tree

The Fir Tree

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  404 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"This adaptation retains the personality of the original: the tree's yearning is deeply felt, the ending appropriately meloncholy" (Kirkus Reviews). "This readable, picturesque version is guaranteed to captivate a young audience".--Library Talk. Full color.
Published September 1st 1995 by NorthSouth (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Fir Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fir Tree

Jean
I think I am going to have to stop reading anything by Hans Christian Andersen, and go on to something more light-hearted and optimistic, such as Russian literature perhaps (insert icon for irony here). But here goes ...

The Fir Tree is a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, published in 1844, at the same time as his other deeply pessimistic tale "The Snow Queen" link here for my review.

And now I find I can't bear to relive this story in much detail, in order to review it properly. But I'll
Annamaria (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Lovely read about our need to be able to appreciate things as long as we have them. Also very, very sad. Plus, the cover for this edition is stunning!
Jana
Dec 18, 2011 Jana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great reminder to appreciate and enjoy each stage of life! This is a short story & a must read!
Karina Petersen
Meget fin, dog noget sørgelig historie. Men med en morale i top, som kun H.C Andersen kan bedst, hvor min datter og jeg efter endt læsning fik en god og lang snak om at man skal være glad for det man har, og være i tiden man er i. Og ikke mindst at jeg skal blive lidt bedre til, at være til stede - altså sådan generelt. Men hvem kan ikke blive bedre til det med al den teknologi og forstyrrelser, som vi er en del af i næsten alle døgnets 24 timer.
Dec 24, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gundula
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie☯
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Out in the woods amongst his many large companions, a nice little fir tree is keen to grow up. Read by Paul Copley.
Kira Welch
Mar 10, 2013 Kira Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Hans Christian Andersen so I wanted to read something by him that I had not read yet. The Fir Tree is a cute little story about a fir tree that wants to grow up so bad. He looks around at all the other trees and wants to be as big as they are but thinks he will never get there. However learns the hard way that even though you are grown, there are still obstacles you will have to face. I think this book would be great to read to children to get them to enjoy their childhood. All children w ...more
Nathan Phillips
The Fir Tree is a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson. It is a story about the life of a fir tree who is always looking towards a great future. I liked the way this story encouraged me to think more positively of the present than longing for future happiness.

I found the character of the fir tree interesting because it developed from being like a little child, wanting to be older, to realising that it should have enjoyed life while it was young. This becomes especially obvious near the end when
Jenny - Book Sojourner
We discovered that this was not a great Christmas book. Though it is about a fir tree, and Christmas does occur, my kids and I found this story a bit too melancholy and depressing for our liking. There is certainly something to be learned from the fir tree, his lack of contentment, and then his too late reflection on the past. But not a great bedtime story. Oops.
Diana Oliveira
Dec 19, 2015 Diana Oliveira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice fairy tale if only very sad and melancholic.
It presents a very important life lesson: even though it might appear that what other have is so much better, that may only be appearance; take comfort in what you do have and rejoice in every thing day.

Very appropriate for this time of year.

Coral Davies
Apr 07, 2016 Coral Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little tale about not growing up to fast and to beware getting what you wish for. To take time to enjoy and appreciate what you do have rather than constantly hoping for "better" things as they may not be as wonderful as you presume.
Samantha
Jan 06, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
This book is a wonderful story that teaches its readers to enjoy being young while you can, because you cannot relive the past. A charming holiday tale. =)
Matt
As you get older, there comes a point when you look back at childhood stories and see that there’s something not right about many of them. Hans Christian Andersen’s tales are like this – there is something dark and deceptively twisted. Since these particular two share a similar new publication, I am reviewing them together. “The Snow Queen”: in which Gerda sets out to find her lost best friend Kay, and “The Fir Tree”: in which a sentient fir tree gets removed from its forest home and is introduc ...more
Lyanne
Jan 07, 2013 Lyanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet story with amazing illustrations!
Lisa
Dec 09, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tells a lesson we should all learn. I decided to read a Christmas story a day starting the day after Thanksgiving but had family here for several days. To catch up, I read several smaller books in a couple of days and am so glad this was one of them! Ha! Live in the moment! Reading this story while frantically trying to complete some kind of competition with MYSELF over finishing a goal that was supposed to have been set for fun and Christmas cheer, well, let's just say this was an eye-open ...more
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 Olivia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though this book takes place partially during Christmas, I would not consider this to be a holiday book. Basically, it's about a tree that is rarely happy throughout it's life, then it dies. It might be a good read for older children or even adults, but the whole thing is kind of melancholy and I would not read it to younger children, especially not sensitive ones.
Joann
Dec 14, 2014 Joann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoyed Andersens stories during my childhood and as I discovered today they still touch me deeply! Deep and sincere in it's simplicity. It remembers us to enjoy the present, instead of thinking ahead all the time.

“If I had only been happy in those days! But now it is too late!”
Amber
Dec 27, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sad story, but it teaches such a valuable lesson. Be grateful for what you have in every moment. Don't spend all of your days wishing for the next, because looking back you realize how magnificent your life has been, but you never truly enjoyed it. Such a great lesson.
Vaishali Joglekar
Such a sad tale about the life of a Christmas tree ... and a cautionary story about the dangers of wanting to growing up too fast, and thinking the grass is greener on the other side..
Best line ever: "I heard it on my happiest evening, but I did not know then how happy I was."
Ozlem
Mar 05, 2015 Ozlem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reminder for people to embrace the present and be happy with who they are and where they are, to enjoy every second of their life instead of making themselves miserable with pessimistic thoughts all the time.
Harvey Harvey
a good story providing strong example of living in the moment and being appreciative of what we have and not wishing for something/the future.
Kasper
May 01, 2014 Kasper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A very touching fable, one of my favorites from Andersen, about the importance of enjoying life instead of always looking ahead.
Angela Alcorn
Project Gutenberg has a free ebook and audiobook of a Hans Christian Andersen book with 18 fairy tales in it.

These are the stories in the Project Gutenberg files:
-- The elderbush
-- The bell
-- The old house
-- The happy family
-- The story of a mother
-- The false collar
-- The shadow
-- The little match girl
-- The dream of little Tuk
-- The naughty bo
Kathryn Dechairo
A book to make you appreciate all that you have.
Zain
Jan 22, 2016 Zain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great lesson in this tale!
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮

The Hare jumping over the small, young Fir Tree

There it lay in a corner amongst weeds and nettles.. The star of gold paper still stuck in the top of the tree and glittered in the sunshine..
The tree was thinking of a summer day in the forest; and of Christmas evening, and of “Humpty Dumpty,” the only story it had ever heard or knew how to relate, till at last it was consumed.
Patricia
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC radio listeners
Out in the woods amongst his many large companions, a little fir tree is keen to grow up.

Listen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/...

2* A Country Christmas
3* A Killer's Christmas in Wales
5* A Child's Christmas in Wales (re-visit for nth time)
3* The Fir Tree
Sneh Pradhan
We all have loved in our childhood these simple , succinct stories and fables by Andersen , the Grimm brothers, Aesop and our regional folk tales etc which so subtly express profound truths about human life . This story delineates how wisdom is acquired with age , but the past never comes back and so the past is history , the future is a mystery but the " present " is our gift to unveil and live !!!
Rebecca Cartwright-Teakle
Review
This was part of a series of short stories about Christmas that I was reading to get myself into the Christmas spirit. Unfortunately this, together with The Little Match Girl, had exactly the opposite effect. This is such a depressing story that I can’t understand why anyone would want to read it or read it to their children at Christmas.
Jackie
Jan 12, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition is beautifully illustrated, with a pleasingly tactile hardback cover and printed on high quality paper.

If you are unfamiliar with the story, it is the tale of a fir tree that wishes away it's life waiting to be fully grown and for something amazing to happen.

It is poignant & beautiful. Like a lot of Hans Christian Anderson stories.
  • The Tinderbox
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Meteor Men
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 3: Hot Zone
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...