Start by marking “The Up and Comer” as Want to Read:
The Up and Comer

The Up and Comer

Poised to become his Manhattan law firm's youngest partner, up-and-coming attorney Philip Randall takes risks and a mistress--his best friend's wife. Then the game changes and the stakes get higher. Someone begins following Philip's every move, waiting for the chance to strike--with a vengeance. Soon, Philip is at the center of a murder investigation that can end his caree ...more
Published July 5th 2001 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Up and Comer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Up and Comer

Apr 16, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good debut novel. I will definitely read more of his books. I read a book that he co-authored with James Patterson and decided to read some of his other stuff. Good call on my part. Must order more!
Sarah White
Aug 11, 2014 Sarah White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Fast and easy read but very satisfying. Great suspense/thriller...I promise that you won't be able to put it down! Highly recommend to my crime fiction pals.
Shannon Merrin
Nov 04, 2010 Shannon Merrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely gets you. Philip Randall lives quite an unreal life, yet it's somewhat realistic, so I got sucked into it! Fast read.
Mar 03, 2011 Charmed37x rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A great read. Cleverly written, not your predictable thriller. Definitely an author I will read again.
David Roberts
Oct 22, 2013 David Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the thriller novel The Up And Comer by Howard Roughan which is an excellent story which I bought from a local secondhand bookstore. Howard has co written various novels with James Patterson and does seem like a pretty good thriller writer. This novel isn't that different to the kind of thing Patterson writes. The book plays with your emotions quite skilfully and the key character who is an up and coming lawyer in a successful firm, hence the title, does starts off as not very lika ...more
Apr 26, 2015 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me - At first I wondered where the story was going, but held my interest and couldn't put it down... a good read.
Oct 27, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book totally rocccccccccckkkked! I loved it from the beginning to the end. This first book solely by Roughan was the best of the best! He wrote Honeymoon with James Patterson which got me hooked on Patterson! Now....I can't wait to read Promise of Lie the 2nd book by Roughan.

This book had many twists back and forth. Just when you thought you knew what the characters were going to were WRONG! I guessed a few things but then they ended up twisting into a totally different way.

Sep 06, 2016 Homegirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best first novels I can ever remember reading. It is clever and witty in both the writing and the plot. Young attorney Philip Randall is on his way to having it all - the perfect job, the perfect life, the perfect friends and a perfectly rich wife oh and he's sleeping with his best friend's wife. He's also one of the most likeable people I've ever met in a book. This is really a delightful read.
Oct 24, 2008 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of trashy but surprisingly a network TV legal show that's really all about the moral depravity of the lawyers, and in some vague way therefore a critique of American capitalist moral depravity. It's one of those books that you feel from page 1 you know the ending of and are waiting to see HOW and WHEN the chips fall, not surprises, but a fun if guilty read.
Nov 13, 2008 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lesley by: Heather
I didn't see the end from the beginning, or even the middle! I like books with characters who are both good and bad and certainly most of the characters in this book fell into that middle moral ground. The "bad" guy was so cleverly written that I was sure I'd known him in college. It didn't take me too long to blaze through this book; it was lots of fun to read.
Chicken Little
Dec 25, 2010 Chicken Little rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced and with an unforgettable cast of characters, this book is a powerful thriller that grabs the attention from the very first page and doesn't let go until the end. I would definitely recommend it to anybody as a real page-turner. Wow! =)
Name Doris Powell
The main character in this book was not exactly heartwarming. I was on his side but only moderately so. He was very self-centered. I did, however, enjoy the book. It held my attention.
Casi K.
Nov 05, 2010 Casi K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thriller with a sense of humor. This story had so many twists, I couldn't put it down. Loved Howard Roughan's writing style. Can't wait for his next novel.
Aug 02, 2008 Marion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you really can't help getting involved in this book. i didn't see the ending coming. loved the main character. a thrilling tightly written story.
Dec 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Came across him when reading James Patterson. They have shared a couple of titles.
Feb 16, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fun and fast paced. Not anything too deep or special but very entertaining.
Kim Nowak
A good lawyer book, if you like them. Easy, light read but I liked it.
Dec 12, 2007 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular trashy book
Joy McClintock
Joy McClintock marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
KoloradoKim marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
MR JEREMY E TUTT rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Jim Mahaney
Jim Mahaney marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Robert rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2016
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
M J marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Becky Unger
Becky Unger is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
  • Blackout
  • Light Up the Night (The Night Stalkers, #8)
  • Black Sand
  • The Tangent Factor
  • Bad Nights (Rockfort Security, #1)
  • Hard Sayings of the Bible
  • Storm Warning: The Story of a Killer Tornado
  • Moments Together For Couples: Devotions for Drawing Near to God and One Another
  • The Kidnapping of Aaron Green
  • Crown of Thorns (Nick Barrett, #2)
  • The Last Cheater's Waltz: Beauty and Violence in the Desert Southwest
  • Dark Undertakings (Drew Slocombe, #1)
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel (Lives and Legacies)
  • Assassin (Kirk McGarvey #6)
  • The Legend of the Three Trees
  • Wolfsbane (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • Cold Caller
  • Typhoon
Howard Roughan is an American author. He has two novels in print: The Up and Comer (2001) and The Promise of a Lie (2004). The rights to The Up and Comer have been optioned by October Films, and Michael Douglas is attached to produce the movie-version of Roughan's novel. Roughan also co-wrote the novels Honeymoon, You've Been Warned, Sail, and Don't Blink which was published on September 27, 2010, ...more
More about Howard Roughan...