Start by marking “The Up and Comer” as Want to Read:
The Up and Comer

The Up and Comer

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Poised to become his Manhattan law firm's youngest partner, up-and-coming attorney Philip Randall takes risks and a mistress--his best friend's wife. Then the game changes and the stakes get higher. Someone begins following Philip's every move, waiting for the chance to strike--with a vengeance. Soon, Philip is at the center of a murder investigation that can end his caree ...more
Published July 5th 2001 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Up and Comer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Up and Comer

Shannon Merrin
This book definitely gets you. Philip Randall lives quite an unreal life, yet it's somewhat realistic, so I got sucked into it! Fast read.
David Roberts
I am reviewing the thriller novel The Up And Comer by Howard Roughan which is an excellent story which I bought from a local secondhand bookstore. Howard has co written various novels with James Patterson and does seem like a pretty good thriller writer. This novel isn't that different to the kind of thing Patterson writes. The book plays with your emotions quite skilfully and the key character who is an up and coming lawyer in a successful firm, hence the title, does starts off as not very lika ...more
Sarah White
I loved this book! Fast and easy read but very satisfying. Great suspense/thriller...I promise that you won't be able to put it down! Highly recommend to my crime fiction pals.
Lynne
A new author for me - At first I wondered where the story was going, but held my interest and couldn't put it down... a good read.
Heather
This book totally rocccccccccckkkked! I loved it from the beginning to the end. This first book solely by Roughan was the best of the best! He wrote Honeymoon with James Patterson which got me hooked on Patterson! Now....I can't wait to read Promise of Lie the 2nd book by Roughan.

This book had many twists back and forth. Just when you thought you knew what the characters were going to do....you were WRONG! I guessed a few things but then they ended up twisting into a totally different way.

LOVE
Susan
This is one of the best first novels I can ever remember reading. It is clever and witty in both the writing and the plot. Young attorney Philip Randall is on his way to having it all - the perfect job, the perfect life, the perfect friends and a perfectly rich wife oh and he's sleeping with his best friend's wife. He's also one of the most likeable people I've ever met in a book. This is really a delightful read.
David
Kind of trashy but surprisingly engaging...like a network TV legal show that's really all about the moral depravity of the lawyers, and in some vague way therefore a critique of American capitalist moral depravity. It's one of those books that you feel from page 1 you know the ending of and are waiting to see HOW and WHEN the chips fall, not if...no surprises, but a fun if guilty read.
Lesley
Nov 13, 2008 Lesley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lesley by: Heather
I didn't see the end from the beginning, or even the middle! I like books with characters who are both good and bad and certainly most of the characters in this book fell into that middle moral ground. The "bad" guy was so cleverly written that I was sure I'd known him in college. It didn't take me too long to blaze through this book; it was lots of fun to read.
Chicken Little
Fast-paced and with an unforgettable cast of characters, this book is a powerful thriller that grabs the attention from the very first page and doesn't let go until the end. I would definitely recommend it to anybody as a real page-turner. Wow! =)
Penny
Very good debut novel. I will definitely read more of his books. I read a book that he co-authored with James Patterson and decided to read some of his other stuff. Good call on my part. Must order more!
Namedoris Powell
The main character in this book was not exactly heartwarming. I was on his side but only moderately so. He was very self-centered. I did, however, enjoy the book. It held my attention.
Casi K.
A thriller with a sense of humor. This story had so many twists, I couldn't put it down. Loved Howard Roughan's writing style. Can't wait for his next novel.
Marion
you really can't help getting involved in this book. i didn't see the ending coming. loved the main character. a thrilling tightly written story.
Charmed37x
A great read. Cleverly written, not your predictable thriller. Definitely an author I will read again.
Came across him when reading James Patterson. They have shared a couple of titles.
Fun and fast paced. Not anything too deep or special but very entertaining.
Kim Nowak
A good lawyer book, if you like them. Easy, light read but I liked it.
Nick
Spectacular trashy book
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Joda
Joda added it
Jul 23, 2015
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Christine Terrell
Christine Terrell marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Tan
Tan added it
Jul 19, 2015
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Janice Langanke
Janice Langanke marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Corpsing
  • Pure Heat (Firehawks, #1)
  • Blackout
  • Bad Nights (Rockfort Security, #1)
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • Trance State
  • Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain
  • Glass, Paper, Beans: Revolutions on the Nature and Value of Ordinary Things
  • Siberian Light
  • Letters from the Dust Bowl
  • Undertow (David Cavanaugh, #1)
  • Hard Sayings of the Bible
  • Catching Fireflies: Teaching Your Heart to See God's Light Everywhere
  • The Edge of Sleep
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel (Lives and Legacies)
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • 33 Million People in the Room: How to Create, Influence, and Run a Successful Business with Social Networking
  • Hard Feelings
Howard Roughan is an American author. He has two novels in print: The Up and Comer (2001) and The Promise of a Lie (2004). The rights to The Up and Comer have been optioned by October Films, and Michael Douglas is attached to produce the movie-version of Roughan's novel. Roughan also co-wrote the novels Honeymoon, You've Been Warned, Sail, and Don't Blink which was published on September 27, 2010, ...more
More about Howard Roughan...
The Promise of a Lie Colectia de romane 1: Promisiune Mincinoasa / In deriva / Hotul de Spanzuratoare / Floarea-Soarelui You've Been Warned (A format) Promo Edition Infidele Untitled Roughan #2