Start by marking “Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman” as Want to Read:
Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman

Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  2,076 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The thrilling story of a young missionary struggling to reach the people she loves.
Published by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Gladys Aylward, please sign up.

Rebecca Yes, keeping in mind of course that The Inn of 6th Happiness was a very glamorized, Hollywood version of the real Gladys Aylward.

Natalie Vellacott
Apr 24, 2016 Natalie Vellacott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missions
This book was recommended via this list of Missionary Biographies which is worth checking out;

This is a great book. It was my second time of reading about Gladys Aylward-the English Christian Missionary who was "unqualified" hence rejected by a missionary organisation so decided to go independently to China during a war......her reasoning;

To realize that millions of Chinese had never heard of Jesus Christ was to me a staggering thought, and I felt that sor
Larissa
I cannot say enough about this book! Simply phenominal. God's working in her life and the lives of the Chinese believers is so clear! It is an ABSOLUTE must read for anyone who loves our Great God and Savior Jesus Christ!
Kayla
Feb 24, 2008 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kayla by: Leslie Ludy
Another strong Christain woman. What an amazing story of dedication to the Great Commission. Really inspiring!
Morgan
Feb 10, 2010 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I first heard about Gladys Aylward in Noelle Piper's book, "Faithful Women and their Extraordinary God". I as greatly intrigued by her life and wanted to read this book for some time. Luckily, the house we're staying out had it. :)

Gladys Aylward left, alone, for China in 1932. She had been denied by Missions Organization and knew nothing of the country except that there were millions of Chinese that had never heard the name of Jesus Christ. So, she took the Trans-Siberian Railroad into China, wh
Elizabeth
Gladys Aylward's powerful and inspiring story will be with me forever. She is one of the greatest women of faith I have ever read about.

This is one of those books that you read and it just stays with you.

This simple woman left England in her 20's because she felt called to go to war torn China and teach the people about the God of love. Every single step she took in her life was taken in faith and prayer. She was so open to prayer and conversation with God that she heard his voice directing her
Davis
Dec 23, 2012 Davis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't quite tell enough. It's the autobiography of Aylward, a Christian missionary to China starting in the 1930s. While the pacing and narrative voice are fine, I kept wanting to read more. Her life is truly unique and I would not mind reading hundreds of detailed pages covering what the Russian winter was like with no heat or clothes, what trekking across the Chinese mountains for weeks with barefoot children was like on her body and mind, and especially the joy she must have felt w ...more
Lianxin Lin
Mar 27, 2013 Lianxin Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How much is 10 dollars?

It is the cost of a small salad and large ice tea in Deli store. It is one sixth the price of a converse shoes. It is two to three games in iPad. But, in Gladys Aylward's autobiography, The Little Woman, it is a journey from England to China.

Gladys Aylward is a missionary, well, even earlier, she is just a maid. She doesn't graduate from a Church school, she doesn't go to college, she even doesn't finish high school. But, she comes to China in 1930 to preach the Gospel in
Heather
May 12, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super short, easy read, but such an amazing story. A girl decides she needs to do missionary work in China, and leaves everything she knows and has in London to make it happen. Talk about faith and perseverance! She gave her whole life to spreading the good news of Jesus Christ. Everyone could learn from her faith and determination and charity!
Belinda
Feb 05, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
An amazing journey and an amazing woman.
Gladys went to China in the early 1900's to unbind women's feet.
She learns about a country in transition from the reign of emperors to the harsh changes under Mao.
Most importantly, she finds out about the lives of Chinese women, who, for centuries have been relegated to the place of a male possession, hidden in courts, altered - through foot binding - so that they fit the male perspective of wealth and beauty.
And then there is Gladys, alone, a westerner,
Sandy
Apr 11, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After watching the movie, "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness," starring Ingred Bergmann, I wanted to know more about Gladys Aylward, so I purchased a copy of this short biography. The movie, based on Aylward's work in China was uplifting, enlightening and inspirational. I wondered how true to her real story the movie was. And even though Hollywood added a touch of romance, most of what they portrayed about this amazing woman was true. The book Gladys Aylward has written about her experiences portra ...more
Andrea Stoeckel
Oct 11, 2014 Andrea Stoeckel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, memoir
This is an older book, one I read a long time back and it came back to me along with a wish to re-read it. Gladys Aylard was a Christian missionary from England who was called to go to China with no support from any Mission Outreach Program. She was obsessed with God by her own admission and God used her to change many peoples' lives in a country overtaken and overcome by war and Communisim.

She had no knowledge of China when she arrived, but circumstances made her a powerful person in her area a
Camiwar
Dec 25, 2015 Camiwar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read! It is not written in the best literary style; probably due to the fact that Gladys was reticent to share her story -- it seems people had to drag the details from her. Thankfully, somebody was able to capture a bit of this amazing woman's call of God and His leading in her life as she went to China as a missionary without anything by the way of support. There is an old Ingrid Bergman movie based on just one incident in her life, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness.
Lisa
Jan 31, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china, memoirs
I had seen The Inn of the Sixth Happiness many years ago and was very moved by Gladys Aylward's story. So I was excited to read her actual story when my book group chose it.

Gladys' story is nothing short of inspirational, as any story is of someone who has followed their bliss and fulfilled their life's calling. I'm glad she wrote it down to inspire others.

It's a small, easy read. I'm glad to add to my "read" shelf.
Cheryl Taylor
Feb 18, 2016 Cheryl Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!!! I would recommend it.

Loved the book! Inspiring story of a great woman with a strong faith in Jesus. Our Lord answers prayers if we just have faith.
Emma
Aug 23, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am absolutely blown away by this woman and her faith. I cannot help but admire someone who was able to put so much faith in God and accomplish so much with so little. Her experiences are definitely worth a read and if you want a story that will uplift and inspire you then pick this up!
Lkaserman
Aug 08, 2016 Lkaserman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness has been a favorite movie of mine since i was a child. Long have i wanted to read about Gladys Aylward. I now know that the movie was based on her story - but not very much like it.
I am always inspired by those that have such deep faith. This woman literally feels a need to go to China and spread the word of God, so she does. So much easier said than done. The obstacles she faces, the heart ache, the children, the villagers, and she feels for them all. She saw Chi
Bev
Jun 02, 2015 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humble Servant of Jesus Christ

Any one will be blessed to read this true story by Gladys Aylward on her life serving in China that she shares from 28 yrs of age till into her sixties. She was a determined young lady & overcomes many obstacles but all the time seeing the Lord's way of providing. As humble as she is it humbles the person reading this and to be grateful to God for food, clothing, and home that Gladys shares was sparse for many people & children going days without eating. She
Donna
Jul 04, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! There are very few people in this world who possess the bravery, fortitude, and love of Christ shown by Ms. Aylward. Her words will inspire you!
Jo
Feb 13, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gladys Aylward was an ordinary woman with an amazing God. Fantastic to read her story and the stories of those around her.
Bethany
Apr 01, 2008 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bethany by: My mom
I cannot and do not want to shake the conviction that came with reading about Gladys' life.
Justice Sahaydak
I noticed I was one of only three people who rated this a two star, and shall attempt to explain why I thought this story was only 'OK'.

It was a good story; a woman facing almost impossible odds to do what God was calling her to do. And it's a true story too! The reason I didn't really like it was simply this; I just don't like that genre or setting. If I'm going to read christian auto/biographies about women, I'd rather read The Hiding Place, or I Dared to Call Him Father. I don't know quite wh
Marni
Gladys Aylward has to be one of the most inspiring women in history. Though not very educated, she had the faith to follow God wherever He sent her, and He sent her to China.

The movie "Inn of the Sixth Happiness," which quickly became one of my favorites as soon as I saw it, is the story of Gladys Aylward. The movie follows closely to the story in the book (except for an added love story), though of course the book gives a lot more background information, and then continues the story beyond the
Cyndy
Oct 28, 2014 Cyndy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading Gladys's story. Her faith and friendship with God remain steadfast throughout her trials and are real encouragements to me. I'm very thankful her story has been recorded.
As for the writing itself, the book is very engaging. So far, in our home, it's been read and enjoyed by my husband, myself, and our teenage daughter (who we actually bought it for).
This is definitely worth reading!
Fran Campbell
Dec 10, 2015 Fran Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Most Touching And Life-Changing Book of Faith

This book has touched my heart. The longing to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with those in unfortunate circumstances is what the hero of this true story is all about. Rich in history of the Chinese, the story will draw you in......and burn a fire in your soul to not fall into the trap of complacency in sharing the Good News!!
Margaret
May 08, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story of a courageous woman who goes to China to preach the Gospel. I especially loved the fact that she was led by pure faith alone. Her depiction of the contrast between China's hunger for the Gospel as opposed to her own England and the spiritually lethargy there. At times I wanted more spiritual insight but I think I was looking too closely because her daily survival and what she encountered....there was my depth and insight I wanted. It was the manner she wrote about her experi ...more
Dr. Trevor B. Harvey
Humbling

Upon finishing this book one has an appreciation for the greatness of the G d we serve, his faithfulness in difficult situations and the power of his love to do the miraculous. Also one is humbled by the commitment of this women of G d who had nothing but her faith, which she used so powerfully for the furtherance of the Lord's kingdom.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a woman of faith! I had seen a film of part of her story and when I started reading the book, I thought, "this sounds like that woman." I loved this book! It makes me feel humbled that I am not doing enough. To care for 100 children and walk all over a foreign land to spread the gospel while having no money or food is true faith. Recommend reading this!
Gail Johnson
May 28, 2016 Gail Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman is the true story of Gladys Aylward's life as a missionary to China.
A British citizen, Gladys leaves England to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with the Chinese. Along the way she is met with life threatening obstacles yet she is delivered out of every one.
I first became aware of her story when I watched the movie, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958) starring Ingrid Bergman. In the movie, she guides 100 children through enemy territory during the Sino-Japanese
Geraldine Robinson
Amazing story

Amazing story

I couldn't put this book down it was so interesting. It is an amazing testimony to the power and love of God. this book will increase your faith in God and you will see the how he can use a little woman do the impossible.
Esther Kim
Apr 24, 2015 Esther Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like a novel but better.

This is one of those books that you can't put down. There are so many jaw-dropping moments that are hard to believe happened! It's amazing how much one person packed into her life and the tremendous difference she made from that.
Favorite books 2 2 Jul 13, 2015 05:03PM
  • These Strange Ashes
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • If I Perish
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Lords of the Earth
  • The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • Hudson Taylor
  • To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Tortured for His Faith
  • In My Father's House
Gladys May Aylward was born in Edmonton, London to a working class family. She worked as a maid and had very little education.
In her twenties she attended an evangelistic service and dedicated her life to God. Despite being "unqualified" according to a mission organization, Gladys was determined to be a missionary to China. She spent her life savings on a railroad ticket to Yuncheng in the Shanxi
More about Gladys Aylward...