Start by marking “The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  54,231 ratings  ·  7,214 reviews
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged w ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Minds, please sign up.

Alexandra Bracken There are three books and two e-novellas, which you don't need to read in order to understand what's happening in the novels.
Alexandra Bracken Yes, the sequel is called NEVER FADE and is out now.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
47th out of 759 books — 8,448 voters
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
214th out of 20,009 books — 53,952 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Maas
Dec 04, 2013 Sarah Maas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
THE DARKEST MINDS is one of the best books I have EVER read. No joke. I can't even properly express how much I love this book. It touched my soul--it's THAT incredible. It haunted me for days and days (and still does!). The world-building and plot are phenomenal (it leaves you absolutely breathless in spots!), and the characters are some of the most vivid I've encountered.

When 2012 rolls around, DO NOT miss this book--it will stay with you long, long after you've finished reading it.
Kaylee Magic
OH. MY. GOD. Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!!

This book was so damn beautiful, so damn heartbreaking, and so damn freaking AMAZING! I think it's one of the most in-depth books I've read since The Hunger Games -- and I mean that with my heart and soul. It's not just another fluffy mock-intense book; it's not just another dystopian knock-off that I could never see happening in real life; it's not another sweet romance without anything else of substance that makes for a good time passer but doesn't
SerenaSmiles
Apr 06, 2014 SerenaSmiles rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I hereby sentence EVERYONE to read this NOW.
Christine Riccio
MUST READ. FANTABULOUS BOOK. I just posted my booktalk ( http://youtu.be/90NS3uB8LxI ) which includes Review / Reaction / and Discussion on all the feelings it created.
Mitch
♥ Becky  22
Everybody, everybody should go read this book. Like right now.
The Darkest Minds is amazing. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. 100% recommended.

1) The writing = perfection.
I felt like I was there. I could hear the music when Ruby and Liam were dancing by the fire. I felt the cold from the AC in the hotel room. I honestly felt like I was there. And the writing is beautiful. And also funny.

"Use the damn map," Chubs groused behind him.
"I can figure it out without it," Lia
Alexandra Bracken
Jan 24, 2012 Alexandra Bracken rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
ETA--For those confused about the title change: http://www.alexandrabracken.com/?p=1121

Well, I like it a whole lot! Can't wait to hear what you guys think!
Etnik
May 01, 2015 Etnik marked it as to-read
description

All of my friends seem to have read this series,and I have heard nothing but amazing things about it.Hopefully I can get this book for Christmas.Any feedback?

description
Anila
Edit: Re-read in May 2014, but leaving original review standing because it still expresses my feelings perfectly.

Ow
ow ow ow
ow ow ow ow ow

I don't
know what to do with this book
and all of these feelings ow ow ow

Obviously it's been too long since I last re-read Brightly Woven because I remembered that Alexandra Bracken was a good writer but I seem to have forgotten HOW good until this book punched me in the gut.

God.
How do I talk about this?
I don't even know. I finished it at about 8:30 last night an
Zoë (readbyzoe)
I enjoyed this book!
I love stories about people with special powers so this book was perfect. I had a few problems with this book, some due to the fact that I had to read it really slowly since I had limited free time this month. I didn't really enjoy any of the romance in this book which is upsetting for someone who loves romance and I didn't get very attached to any of the characters.
Raeleen Lemay
OH MY GOD THIS BOOK WAS SO BORING.

I also felt like the world and all of the powers weren't explained very well, and you're constantly in the dark! It's ok to leave some things unanswered until later, but basic things should be explained early on, and I didn't feel like they were in this book.

Highly disappointing.
Booknut
Dear Alexandra Bracken:

Seriously. Because nothing could possibly be more painful than the cliffhanger that rears its horrid head at the end of this book! Especially since it catches you unawares. One minute you're enjoying a good dose of kick-ass heroism and Ruby/Liam cuteness, thinking:

But just like Bilbo was slightly mistaken, so was I. So was I.

'The Darkest Minds' is the latest masterpiece of Bracken's. After reading her novel 'Brightly Woven' I was expecting something along the same lines
Giselle
Going into the Darkest Minds, I didn't really know what to expect. With so many dystopians out there there are quite a few that simply don't live up to the genre. However, Alexandra brings in a new and exciting dystopian novel with mysterious diseases, abilities, merciless camps; basically the apocalypse with a Heroes-like flare that becomes quite exhilarating.

Mind reading, mind control, memory manipulation, telekinesis; these are the powers that teenagers are suddenly capable of in this world,
Laz
Jan 08, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dystopia lovers
The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.

I'm wowed. This was magnificent. It was a hundred percent dystopia, a little bit of road-trip and adventure, action, a lot of heartbreak, darkness, intensity and a shattering romance. Yup, that seems to sum up the formula the author followed and she succeeded in making my heart rugs for her to mop the floor.

A virus that only strikes kids, killing them almost instantaneously. All the kids who survive are not normal, they beg to diffe
♥ Pink Pineapple ♥
WOAH.
Well, wasn't that intense?
I'm really excited to read the second book to the series, Never Fade! The Darkest Minds was nothing I expected in all honesty. The imagry in this book felt so real and Bracken creates such a believable crappy ass America I was worried McDonald's shut-down. That was the thing that scared me the most.

For reals now.

I really enjoyed this book and absolutely could NOT stop wanting more and more. The story itself, although written very well, was very confusing and I f
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
4 1/2 stars!

Oh my gosh. OH MY GOSH.
I loved this book so much!
I am slightly conflicted about the ending though - it annoyed me because of the stupidity and then it all went cray AND THEN I WAS LEFT HEARTBROKEN.
What am I supposed to do now? *wails*
Ashley
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken - Corruption, Telekinesis, Mind Control

Book Nook — Young Adult book reviews

My journey with The Darkest Minds was a strange and complex one. My enjoyment was all over the place: up, down, and everywhere in between. Since I'm a nerd, I don't have funny GIFs for you; instead, I have a graph:

My Enjoyment Levels — Monitored
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken - Enjoyment Graph

The book started out pretty awesome. It put us right into the midst of things, it held back details to keep me interested.. it was great. But somewhere at the end of the beginning, my interest dropped off pretty hard
Kat Kennedy
Steph, baby, honey-munchkin. You are going to love this one. I usually don’t do Dystopians much anymore. Steph still loves them though, so I’m kind of excited to see how she’ll feel about it. I didn’t know what to expect because I hadn’t loved Bracken’s previous work, Brightly Woven. Yet this book was getting rave reviews. All I can say is, my god that writer’s done her work. This was a massive improvement on both a technical level and story-telling level.

Ruby lives in a world where an entire ge
Alyssa
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
Book One of the Darkest Minds series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: December 18, 2012
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Finished copy won from a giveaway

Summary (from Goodreads):

Regan
Absolutely fantastic, it feels like its been a long time since I've read a book so good. The characters had depth, the story was engrossing and action packed, I honestly could not put this book down. Easily in my top for this year ALREADY.

Andreea Pop
“Time to carpe the hell out of this diem.”

Holy shit. What to do with my life now that I finished this beauty of a book?

I am late to the party, as always, but better late than never. By a few years but I picked The Darkest Minds up because I've had enough of not having a clue about this "beautiful series" (like I also do with Delirium, The Raven Circle and Mara Dyer -- don't worry, you're next). Well let me tell you something: OHMYGOD THE FEELS. That pretty much sums up this book. And I'm sooo
Jessica (priceiswong)
Read my review on my blog! http://priceiswong.com/2014/11/the-da...

1st time - July 18th, 2013
2nd time - November 5th, 2014
Zuleeza
DNF. Stopped at 20%.

What's written on the page;

His eyes darted over me, from my haggard face down my forest green uniform to my mud-stained shoes. To the Psi number that had been written on their canvas toes in permanent marker. A look of horror flickered over his face. "Did you just come from a camp?"

What's actually in my head;

Psi....

Wait, that can't be right. He is Psy not Psi. *Chuckles* *Looks at the cover* That's the symbol of Psi! (Duh!) I think I saw the symbol before. In math? Or was it
Melissa
GET READY FOR A REVIEW FULL OF CAPSLOCK AND GIFS!

It’s been a week since I finished this book and I’m still not over it. This book is worth ALL the hype. I’ve been seeing this book everywhere. Goodreads, Instagram, blogs… and it made me curious. I had extremely high expectations about the plot and especially the ending. And oh man, I am completely stunned. Alexandra is an amazing writer. She completely ruined me. RUINED me.

This book is a rollercoaster of feelings. I laughed, cried, squealed, held
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoyed this book! It didn't necessarily blow me away, but it definitely held my attention.
Ferdy
Spoilers

I was expecting great things from The Darkest Minds. Alas, I was disappointed. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with a combination of dystopia, teenagers with x men-esque powers, romance (of course), a corrupt government and a promise of non stop action? Apparently, a lot could go wrong.

-The ridiculous science was well… ridiculous. I don't need it to be 100% accurate but I do require it to make some sense and be somewhat plausible. The driving force behind the story was that a diseas
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us––the ones who lived.”

A mysterious plague that only affects children has spread throughout America, killing a majority of the country's kids. Ruby is one of the few who survived the disease––but now it seems that she and the other survivors are developing strange abilities. On Ruby's tenth birthday, she develops a power of her own––one that makes her own parents lock her in the g
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
Me immediately after finishing the book

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

***Review***

An absolutely spectacular dystopian novel that has the ability to captivate the reader on so many levels.

The darkest minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces

Ruby had lived a perfectly normal 10 years of her life, with a caring family and a reason to feel safe. This blissful time ended when she, as well as thousands of other children were labeled as 'dangerous' because of their unique abilities. Finally managing to escape the grueling
Rache
My feelings are all over the place right now. That ending.

That sums up everything.

I loved the characters. I loved the plot. Everything was brilliant.
Prepare to suffer, which is totally going to be worth it.
I'm practically the last one to read this book, but if you haven't, READ IT NOW. Your life won't be complete without this.

Thomas

In Ruby's World, Everhart's Disease (proper name: Idiopathic Adolescent Acute Neurodegeneration, or IAAN) has killed almost all of the kids in America. The ones who survived - including Ruby - developed powers, mutations that allow them to burn things, lift objects, and more. As a ten-year-old, Ruby gets sent to Thurmond, a brutal government facility that holds kids like her hostage and tries to rehabilitate them. Ruby manages to escape after five years of imprisonment and soon runs int
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Darkest Minds By Alexandra Bracken → Restarting May 4th 2015 236 236 2 hours, 31 min ago
Young Adult Craze...: The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken 2 16 May 02, 2015 05:07PM
Liam or Clancey? 55 175 Apr 30, 2015 05:09PM
The Darkest Minds...: The Title 55 23 Apr 19, 2015 02:35PM
The Darkest Minds...: Who is your favourite character ? 73 59 Apr 19, 2015 08:56AM
Favourite Book in this Trilogy??? 4 13 Apr 13, 2015 08:35PM
Read More YA:): The Darkest Minds 2 10 Apr 12, 2015 09:37AM
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1)
  • False Memory (False Memory, #1)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • The Lost Girl
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • The Archived (The Archived, #1)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • Disruption (Disruption, #1)
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Mystic City (Mystic City, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A
More about Alexandra Bracken...

The Darkest Minds (3 books)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3)
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3) Brightly Woven In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5) Sparks Rise (The Darkest Minds #2.5)

“The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.” 1193 likes