Start by marking “Sleep with Me” as Want to Read:
Sleep with Me

Sleep with Me

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Richard and Lelia's child is conceived in a moment of giggling chaos as they dress for a Christmas party. When they arrive, rudely late and still glowing, they barely register a slight, drab woman in the hall - Sylvie. As their baby grows, so too does the presence of that barely noticeable figure.
Published May 1st 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published July 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep with Me

This book drove me mental.

The first 170 pages are difficult to get through, and it is only through sheer will power and hatred of not completing books that i forced myself to continue and read on. It moves at such a slow pace that you begin to wonder what the point of this is going to be.

The characters are all really annoying and ridiculous. The plot is a good idea but so much more could've been done with it.

The last 30 or so pages move much quicker yet at the same time seem to drag in certain p...more
Loederkoningin
The day our child was conceived, someone else arrived. She was there as the cells fused, like a ghost.~ We had fucked, my love and I, moments before going out to diner.

Richard and Lelia hardly register the mousy-ish girl at their friends' diner table. Yet it won't be long until Richard meets her again. Sylvie. He thinks she's plain. Little does he know that Sylvie is about to creep into Lelia's and his lives, ever so subtly. Her presence seems sinister yet harmless at first.

Briscoe wrote a eery...more
Kim
I'm veering between 3.5 and 4 stars for Sleep With Me. It's an interesting book, but all of the characters are so unsympathetic that it was hard going at times. The story revolves around a couple (Richard and Lelia) who through a strange twist of fate become involved with a young, seemingly mousy woman called Sylvie. Little by little, we learn that Sylvie is not all that she seems, and her relationship Richard, Lelia, and their friends becomes more and more twisted.

Well, it reads more like a ps...more
Why on earth does this book have a 2.84 overall rating?! Troubling... I loved it. The prose is intimate and fresh and the whole novel is veiled with a sense of foreboding. Generally, I wish every book ended slightly differently, and the same goes for this one. Doesn't really matter though, as the rest of the writing makes up for it. Give it a go
Camille
The book had a slow start and peaked my interest during the second act and I was truly vested in finding out what was the true story and motives of the mysterious Sylvie. But at last, after I finished reading my only thought was, "this is the journey you lead me on?" Snore!
Kate
Amazing - the characters (written from both a male and female perspective) are compellingly written - you completely empathise with both of their predicaments. One of my all time faves.
Mark
This book has a certain irresistible appeal and so say most reviewers, but then they ( the readers) all suggest reasons as to why they are unhappy about the way the characters behave, or how the plot unravels, instead of suspending their disbelief and allowing their imagination to embrace the unthinkable : men can be both unpredictable and unreliable, and have their heads turned by both mousy haired retiring females and ladies of unsuitable morality. Attraction is always in the eye of the behold...more
Devon
Joanna Briscoe's 'SLEEP WITH ME' had me hooked from the first page. This enchantingly dark novel had all the stuff to make it a fantastic and unforgettable read, however, it seemed to fall just short of fantastic but still managed to be very memorable. The story about a very odd love triangle between Lelia and Richard, a couple who is very much in love and expecting their first child and the mysterious Sylvie Lavigne had me mesmerized throughout almost the entire novel trying to figure out who t...more
Iris
weird book - weird story. started off decent and the story is actually ok. but what i don't get is ...... how in the world could a couple that has hot sex before leaving for a party - go so wrong. the couple arrives and leaves the party never even noticing the "mousy girl" standing there. so, if this Sylvie is so unnoticeable - how does this character insinuate herself into their lives? how in the world does everyone including the couple's friends and co-workers all become so obsessed, in love,...more
Denise
A strange, rather disturbing story, the plot of which I found absurdly far-fetched.

SPOILER ALERT I'm not a fan of men-who-go-off-the-rails-when-a-pregnancy-is-announced storylines to start off with. I persevered till I was 3/4 of the way through then speed-read to the end because I found the circuitous plot so ridiculous.

The title and cover don't do it justice and could have been changed to highlight the novel's psychologically disturbing undertones.
Cupcakencorset
This story of Richard and Lelia, an English couple, whose relationship is tested by an unplanned pregnancy and by a strange French woman was initially entrancing, much like the mysterious Sylvie herself. The plot was multilayered, the writing rich and evocative, the characters not too sympathetic. After all, it wouldn't do to feel too much fondness for people who would be swayed from their commitments and loves so easily. Their worlds come crashing down, as they must, then reform from the rubble...more
Janet
Out of all the millions of books there are to read why did I pick out this one? Because I liked another book of Briscoe (You) and I guess it was meant as a sort of snack in between but it turned out quite heavy to digest. For a thriller the book takes far too long to become exciting and I just couldn't like the main characters Richard and Lelia. They are presented as a young, happy couple about to have their first child but it was all a bit too cliché for my taste. Both fall for the charms of a...more
Kerri
This was quite the dirty little book. This story is about Richard and Leila, a couple who are madly in love. Leila gets pregnant, and Richard isn't too sure about how he feels about that. Enter: Sophie (I think this is her name, there was a sophie and a sylvia and it was getting confusing). Sophie is this plain, quite young woman from France, and for some reason everyone falls in love with her. Richard's friend talks about having an affair with her (although at first you don't know its Sophie be...more
Margaret
Shortly after beginning this book, I feared I'd actually gone for a piece of chick-lit, a metropolitan love story about the young, very much in love couple we meet on page 1. But it quickly turns creepy, very creepy indeed. Who is this mousy Sylvie who insinuates herself into Richard's life, and what is the hold she has on him? And how is Lelia, Richard's partner, involved? Lelia's troubled teenage years provide the beginnings of an answer. While the ending of the book is perhaps predictable in...more
Claire Sayan
This book, in a word is weird. The arrange rating is about 2.5 stars but it all depends on what you rate book on. As in was it written well? Did I like the story? Etc
That's why I have given it 4 stars. While I thought the story was weird, I couldn't put it down. I HAD to know why was going to happen. It was also written and edited well. I did think it finished a bit abruptly though, which I suppose is in keeping with the story.
I think 2.5 stars is a bit mean.
Ana
This is a fantastic and surprising book!

The story flows smoothly, the structure is perfect and the writing very, very well mastered. I couldn't put it down and cursed today's society, that kills 8 hours of our days with work, when we could just be reading instead.
I especially loved the Noir twist and the playfulness with which the author alternates appearance and reality. It was by far the sweetest manipulation I've agreed to in a long time!

The average 2-3 star rating doesn't do it any justice!...more
Susana
Crazy! That was a fcked up ending. I'm thinking sequel??
Katy
Joe Stamber
Sleep with me is about a couple who aren't having the most harminous time, partly due to the man's uncertain reaction to his partner's pregnancy. A mysterious young French (I think) girl enters their lives and everything gets weird and complicated. A few friends are involved in the tale, one of which is very irritating! I didn't much care for any of the characters, the story was okay but nothing more.
Clarissa
It made me have nightmares and I could not put it down!
Alan
Aug 11, 2009 Alan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
My daughter's just pulled this out of our bookshelves to read, probably because of the title.
Umm, it's Ok, a 'thriller' beach read really about a woman who inveigles herself into a couple's life and proceeds to wreck it. Quite well put together, well written, but not earth shattering. 2 and a half stars really.
Is 'inveigles' the right word... you know what i mean..
Cats 274
Kathryn
I have to say, I really enjoyed this book - I did almost give up at page 50 as it was a bit slow and 'odd', but I'm so glad I persevered as I found it to be quite addictive in the end!

I did find parts of it rather predictable, but was still taken by surprise in others!!

There really are some nutters about LOL!
Ingrid
I really liked the feeling of this, it is not like what the title might indicate. It's pretty, can one say that of a book? It gave me, mostly, pretty pictures inside my head. Perhaps I will read it again in some years, then I will probably inderstand more of it and enjoy it more.
Jose
Het is een literaire thriller, maar ze hadden het ook een psychologische thriller kunnen noemen. Heel mooi geschreven, wel een beetje poetisch, soms wat wazig, vooral in het begin. Hoe verder naar het einde wordt het steeds spannender, even doorbijten in het begin dus.
Laurie
Creepy, suspenseful and beautifully written. Richard and Leila meet drab, almost invisible Sylvie. Unbeknownst to each other, they each develop a relationship with her. I couldn't put it down, but sometimes I just couldn't keep reading.
Corinne Lewis
I liked this and managed to finish it in 24 hours but the characters irritated me and I preferred the authors next book 'You' - I may watch the film version of this though as I am intrigued by it
Melissa
While it was a page-turner, it was creepy, such that I will take a break before moving on to another one of this A-List London lesbian's books.
Lorewra
The story began quite slow and tedious but after perseverance it proved to be an incredibly consuming and interesting read, literally unputdownable.
  • Something Might Happen
  • A Married Man
  • Our Spoons Came from Woolworths
  • Manazuru
  • Burning Marguerite
  • Making Waves (Angels Unlimited, #7)
  • Bride Island
  • The Circle (Inspector Henrietta Mallin, #1)
  • City Dog
  • Whatever It Takes
  • Edith's Diary
  • Gypsy
  • Blauw water
Joanna Briscoe is the author of two novels, Mothers and Other Lovers, which won the Betty Trask Award; and Skin, which was runner-up for the Encore Award. Her short stories have featured in several anthologies. She was a columnist for the Independent and the Guardian and writes regularly for all the major newspapers and magazines. Joanna Briscoe lives in London with her family.

Sleep With Me, was p...more
More about Joanna Briscoe...
You Touched Mothers And Other Lovers Skin Gefährliche Nähe