Start by marking “Sleep with Me” as Want to Read:
Sleep with Me

Sleep with Me

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Richard and Lelia's child is conceived in a moment of giggling chaos as they dress for a Christmas party. When they arrive, rudely late and still glowing, they barely register a slight, drab woman in the hall - Sylvie. As their baby grows, so too does the presence of that barely noticeable figure.
Published May 1st 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published July 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep with Me

This book drove me mental.

The first 170 pages are difficult to get through, and it is only through sheer will power and hatred of not completing books that i forced myself to continue and read on. It moves at such a slow pace that you begin to wonder what the point of this is going to be.

The characters are all really annoying and ridiculous. The plot is a good idea but so much more could've been done with it.

The last 30 or so pages move much quicker yet at the same time seem to drag in certain p
The day our child was conceived, someone else arrived. She was there as the cells fused, like a ghost.~ We had fucked, my love and I, moments before going out to diner.

Richard and Lelia hardly register the mousy-ish girl at their friends' diner table. Yet it won't be long until Richard meets her again. Sylvie. He thinks she's plain. Little does he know that Sylvie is about to creep into Lelia's and his lives, ever so subtly. Her presence seems sinister yet harmless at first.

Briscoe wrote a eery
I'm veering between 3.5 and 4 stars for Sleep With Me. It's an interesting book, but all of the characters are so unsympathetic that it was hard going at times. The story revolves around a couple (Richard and Lelia) who through a strange twist of fate become involved with a young, seemingly mousy woman called Sylvie. Little by little, we learn that Sylvie is not all that she seems, and her relationship Richard, Lelia, and their friends becomes more and more twisted.

Well, it reads more like a ps
Why on earth does this book have a 2.84 overall rating?! Troubling... I loved it. The prose is intimate and fresh and the whole novel is veiled with a sense of foreboding. Generally, I wish every book ended slightly differently, and the same goes for this one. Doesn't really matter though, as the rest of the writing makes up for it. Give it a go
The book had a slow start and peaked my interest during the second act and I was truly vested in finding out what was the true story and motives of the mysterious Sylvie. But at last, after I finished reading my only thought was, "this is the journey you lead me on?" Snore!
Amazing - the characters (written from both a male and female perspective) are compellingly written - you completely empathise with both of their predicaments. One of my all time faves.
2.5 - 3 is very generous!!! Very very slow to start, not much better when the story actually started ... cursing my sister for making me read it!!!
Jaklien De muynck
This book has a certain irresistible appeal and so say most reviewers, but then they ( the readers) all suggest reasons as to why they are unhappy about the way the characters behave, or how the plot unravels, instead of suspending their disbelief and allowing their imagination to embrace the unthinkable : men can be both unpredictable and unreliable, and have their heads turned by both mousy haired retiring females and ladies of unsuitable morality. Attraction is always in the eye of the behold ...more
Joanna Briscoe's 'SLEEP WITH ME' had me hooked from the first page. This enchantingly dark novel had all the stuff to make it a fantastic and unforgettable read, however, it seemed to fall just short of fantastic but still managed to be very memorable. The story about a very odd love triangle between Lelia and Richard, a couple who is very much in love and expecting their first child and the mysterious Sylvie Lavigne had me mesmerized throughout almost the entire novel trying to figure out who t ...more
weird book - weird story. started off decent and the story is actually ok. but what i don't get is ...... how in the world could a couple that has hot sex before leaving for a party - go so wrong. the couple arrives and leaves the party never even noticing the "mousy girl" standing there. so, if this Sylvie is so unnoticeable - how does this character insinuate herself into their lives? how in the world does everyone including the couple's friends and co-workers all become so obsessed, in love, ...more
Creepy as all get-out. Story of someone insidiously inserting themselves into other people's lives and destroying relationships. Of course, if the relationship is able to be destroyed... Very, very creepy and intense. Bonus = learned some new French phrases. Early on, before the seductress begins wielding her power, one character muses: At times like that I thought life was simple: that having a person of your own, holding you, was the best thing in the world.
A strange, rather disturbing story, the plot of which I found absurdly far-fetched.

SPOILER ALERT I'm not a fan of men-who-go-off-the-rails-when-a-pregnancy-is-announced storylines to start off with. I persevered till I was 3/4 of the way through then speed-read to the end because I found the circuitous plot so ridiculous.

The title and cover don't do it justice and could have been changed to highlight the novel's psychologically disturbing undertones.
This story of Richard and Lelia, an English couple, whose relationship is tested by an unplanned pregnancy and by a strange French woman was initially entrancing, much like the mysterious Sylvie herself. The plot was multilayered, the writing rich and evocative, the characters not too sympathetic. After all, it wouldn't do to feel too much fondness for people who would be swayed from their commitments and loves so easily. Their worlds come crashing down, as they must, then reform from the rubble ...more
Out of all the millions of books there are to read why did I pick out this one? Because I liked another book of Briscoe (You) and I guess it was meant as a sort of snack in between but it turned out quite heavy to digest. For a thriller the book takes far too long to become exciting and I just couldn't like the main characters Richard and Lelia. They are presented as a young, happy couple about to have their first child but it was all a bit too cliché for my taste. Both fall for the charms of a ...more
This was quite the dirty little book. This story is about Richard and Leila, a couple who are madly in love. Leila gets pregnant, and Richard isn't too sure about how he feels about that. Enter: Sophie (I think this is her name, there was a sophie and a sylvia and it was getting confusing). Sophie is this plain, quite young woman from France, and for some reason everyone falls in love with her. Richard's friend talks about having an affair with her (although at first you don't know its Sophie be ...more
Nov 23, 2014 Ape rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: england
2007 bookcrossing journal:

This does make addictive reading although at the start I thought it was going to be too much London lifestyle for me.
It's about a professional couple, Richard and Lelia, who become pregnant at the start of the book. At the same time as French girl Sylvie appears in their life. Everyone disregards her as she is small, slight and very mouseish, but as the book goes on you realise that there's something about her that makes people obsessed with her.
Richard starts an affair
Shortly after beginning this book, I feared I'd actually gone for a piece of chick-lit, a metropolitan love story about the young, very much in love couple we meet on page 1. But it quickly turns creepy, very creepy indeed. Who is this mousy Sylvie who insinuates herself into Richard's life, and what is the hold she has on him? And how is Lelia, Richard's partner, involved? Lelia's troubled teenage years provide the beginnings of an answer. While the ending of the book is perhaps predictable in ...more
Claire Sayan
This book, in a word is weird. The arrange rating is about 2.5 stars but it all depends on what you rate book on. As in was it written well? Did I like the story? Etc
That's why I have given it 4 stars. While I thought the story was weird, I couldn't put it down. I HAD to know why was going to happen. It was also written and edited well. I did think it finished a bit abruptly though, which I suppose is in keeping with the story.
I think 2.5 stars is a bit mean.
Trix Smith
I sat and read this book in one sitting, hungry to discover where the author would go with the story. On reflection I can see that this was because the book was so slow to get going that I expected it to be the build up to a huge, earth-shattering finale. Sadly, the ending was rushed, and dissatisfying, with a very obvious twist.

Would I recommend this book? If the concept of stalking intrigues you, you have nothing else lined up to read & you can get hold of a copy for free then I'd give it
This is a fantastic and surprising book!

The story flows smoothly, the structure is perfect and the writing very, very well mastered. I couldn't put it down and cursed today's society, that kills 8 hours of our days with work, when we could just be reading instead.
I especially loved the Noir twist and the playfulness with which the author alternates appearance and reality. It was by far the sweetest manipulation I've agreed to in a long time!

The average 2-3 star rating doesn't do it any justice!
Alba Rodriguez
3*Με κούρασε πολύ αυτο το βιβλίο μόνο απο την μέση και μετά είχε ενδιαφέρον...Άρρωστη Ιστορία :/
Victoria Mayhem

Morgan Dungan
DNF. I just could not get into the writing style of this novel. It was just awful.
Crazy! That was a fcked up ending. I'm thinking sequel??
Dreadful...gave up after 40 or so pages.
Joe Stamber
Sleep with me is about a couple who aren't having the most harminous time, partly due to the man's uncertain reaction to his partner's pregnancy. A mysterious young French (I think) girl enters their lives and everything gets weird and complicated. A few friends are involved in the tale, one of which is very irritating! I didn't much care for any of the characters, the story was okay but nothing more.
Bella Boon
komt traag op gang en kon mijn aandacht ook later niet vasthouden
It made me have nightmares and I could not put it down!
  • Something Might Happen
  • Before I Say Goodbye: Recollections and Observations from One Woman's Final Year
  • Angel Pavement
  • My Favorite Midlife Crisis (Yet)
  • Goldmarie auf Wolke 7: Eine himmlische Liebesgeschichte
  • An Accidental Mother
  • A Married Man
  • Desolation
  • Keeping It Real (Angels Unlimited, #9)
  • Das Buch von Eden
  • The Great Fire of London: In That Apocalyptic Year, 1666
  • Cold Heaven
  • The Notorious Dr. August: His Real Life and Crimes
  • Our Spoons Came from Woolworths
  • Die Entscheidung (Das Tal Season 2, #4)
  • A Dram Of Poison
  • Bride Island
  • The Maid
Joanna Briscoe is the author of two novels, Mothers and Other Lovers, which won the Betty Trask Award; and Skin, which was runner-up for the Encore Award. Her short stories have featured in several anthologies. She was a columnist for the Independent and the Guardian and writes regularly for all the major newspapers and magazines. Joanna Briscoe lives in London with her family.

Sleep With Me, was p
More about Joanna Briscoe...
You Touched Mothers And Other Lovers Skin On the job