Start by marking “Secrets of a Fashion Therapist: What You Can Learn Behind the Dressing Room Door” as Want to Read:

Betty Halbreich, the director of Solutions at world-famous specialty store Bergdorf Goodman, brings her shopping and dressing expertise to readers in this bestselling classic.

Getting dressed every morning probably causes more trauma than anything else we do on a daily basis. No one understands this better than Betty Halbreich. She's seen firsthand that putting on clothes i
Published July 26th 2011 by Harper Design (first published August 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Fashion Therapist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Fashion Therapist

Phyllis
Mar 23, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was ok
The existence of how to dress type books has always been a mystery to me, because anyone who really gives a damn probably already knows all this stuff. I guess the how to dress publishing industry is funded entirely through well-meaning relatives and friends giving these books as passive-aggressive gifts to the terminally sloppy individuals of the world. This book is pretty ridiculous because it was written by a professional shopping assistant for Bergdorf Goodman. At one point the author says i ...more
Jun 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion
While this books wasn't helpful for me (I've been studying fashion for a while), it's a great guide for any woman who's starting to build her basic wardrobe. The author has great tips on where to save or splurge and how to care for your clothes.
Alison Peters
Nov 26, 2015 Alison Peters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Read right after Halbreich's biography which made the sidebars very interesting. I liked the book - but I also like clothes, so no surprise.
Anne
Nov 25, 2014 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I just wanted more of Betty Halbreich after reading her memoir. This is a nice follow up that i read quickly as most of it was covered in her memoir. She's a force.
J
Jan 11, 2015 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion
Betty's fashion opinions and advice are similar to her personality - original, offbeat, entertaining and insightful. I found myself loving and hating things in equal measure. Hence, the three star rating. There is nothing really neutral about this author though!

Some stories (and whole sentences) were lifted from this book for her biography, especially in the introduction. But this book focuses on fashion advice, while her biography is mainly her life story and a lot of name dropping. I was glad
Berenice
A 1997 book that today, in the second half of 2015, keeps bringing to us some tricks to play with our clothes in a most interesting way, picking them better at stores, taking care of them and manage them properly when we travel, for example.

On the other hand I found a lot of "no no" about body shapes, and I'm not talking about what to choose depending on your figure, but why to tell a figure is a sin, or a mistake. There's nothing different from 90's to 010's at this topic, we just can't go thro
Colleen Wainwright
I picked this up for the delightful pen-and-ink illustrations (by Jeffrey Fulvimari) and ended up reading the book in its entirety. If she'd been born a bit later, Betty Halbreich would have had her own reality-TV show; as it is, she dressed and costumed thousands well and quietly, without much fanfare (save the kind that sticks within your sphere, which was considerable, in her case, and the best kind of fanfare in any case). Doubtful that you'll pick up many tips from this, but I dug her charm ...more
Roslyn Ross
Jan 29, 2013 Roslyn Ross rated it it was ok
I literally learned nothing new in this book. It had nothing beyond what I have picked up from fashion magazines throughout the years. I liked her overall philosophy of having fun with fashion and not doing trends if you can't afford it but I thought her advice to just hold colors in front of your face and see what looks best rather than going to a colorist was not the best since most people who need colorists can't actually tell the difference between colors that look good on them and colors th ...more
Carrie
Jan 13, 2014 Carrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this book. It read like a collection of several outdated fashion magazines, instructing you how to construct a wardrobe. Moreover, I disagree with some of the fashion advice listed. Throughout the book were quotes from various rich women talking about the wonderful traits of the author. The book also presumes that all women have a great deal of money to spend on a wardrobe. I found this book to be outdated and unhelpful.
Allison
Nov 15, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Style and life wisdom

This is an entertaining book, that reminds me of Edith Head and her book 'How to dress for Success'. Betty is witty and funny, and her knowledge of the human condition informs her wonderful ability to style herself and others. As a lover of art and fashion, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Lorie
Read this one on my dinner hour tonight. It has a lot of very good, very basic information for the novice who wants to set up a decent closet of clothes. There were great snippets and snatches of "wow, I hadn't thought of that" mixed in. I found myself skimming the chapters and reading the sidebars. I do recommend it to anyone who needs a primer of basic fashion sense.
Susan
May 05, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A delightful how-to primer from Bergdorf's formidable and legendary personal shopper (she also was featured in the wonderful documentary "Scatter my Ashes at Bergdorfs). Despite the publication dates, much of the information is timeless. A fun read for anyone interested in fashion.
JS
Aug 09, 2014 JS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about fashion and how to dress. It is simple and gives basic hints. It may help to watch the film Scatter my ashes at Bergdorf's first to understand more about Betty. It was a quick and easy book to read with lots of fresh reminders.
Trena
Jun 23, 2008 Trena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in style
A fun and funny read with some good advice.
Lorena
Mar 03, 2015 Lorena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fashion advice from the best in the business!
Frankie
Nov 02, 2016 Frankie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a follow up to "l'll Drink to That." Interesting fashion insights from the fashion consultant at Bergdorf Goodmans. But I really loved the cleaning and packing tips at the end.
Cynthia
Jan 15, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. She's hilarious and everyone who loves clothes or is interested in why people wear what they wear will love this one.
Angela Natividad
Jan 20, 2016 Angela Natividad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Betty and wish she were my friend. I'm also happy to say this book got me to clean my closet and evaluate dressing in a whole new way. Everything I own feels fresh again.
Ashley
Feb 01, 2013 Ashley marked it as on-hold-for-now
Shelves: nonfiction, ebook
Hm...I'm about a third of the way in and so far not terribly impressed. Hopefully it improves!
Jeannie
Lots of fun for people, like me, who like to think about how people choose their clothing - or should choose their clothing!
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Michelle Heath
Michelle Heath rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Trudi
Trudi rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Jeanetta
Jeanetta rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Margaret Shumaker
Margaret Shumaker rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Gavin Townsend
Gavin Townsend rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Rosie
Rosie rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2016
Tania French
Tania French rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2014
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Four Screenplays of Ingmar Bergman: Smiles of a Summer Night/The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/The Magician
  • Moon Magic
  • Heaven and Hell
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • The Wow Factor: Insider Style Secrets for Every Body and Every Budget
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • The New Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics