Start by marking “Cat Under Fire” as Want to Read:
Cat Under Fire

Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  672 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A big, powerful, gray feline, Joe Grey is perfectly content with his remarkable ability to understand and communicate with humans -- especially now that he has company. A mysterious accident similar to the one that enabled him to speak and read has transformed his friend Dulcie as well. The trouble is, the cute tabby female not only hears human words, she believes them.

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Under Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Under Fire

I'm not usually good with fantasy and suspension of belief, but this book drew me in right away with it's talking cats that can open refrigerator doors to get their food, can make telephone calls, and can think and investigate with the best of the local police force. Joe and Dulcie are special cats but also have all the endearing and naughty traits of normal cats.

In this second book, one of their human friends, a well resound artist, has been murdered. The police have a suspect in jail, but he's
Cat Under Fire
Shirley Rousseau Murphy
Avon Books

Book 2 in the Joe Grey Mystery series.
Another of my Christmas gifts, this was a reread. In this book, a new character is introduced,Wilma's niece Charlie. Joe and Dulcie, the talking cats, will need to stay on their toes to not arouse Charlie's curiosity or to be found out as they investigate a local murder.

What I love about this series is how well the author depicts the cats to the reader. I read the thoughts of the cats that she wrote and I th
Marguerite Vlielander
The Joe Grey’s mysteries.

From a friend I got my first ‘Joe Grey Mystery’. I will be thankful to her forever. The lovely books from Shirley Rousseau Murphy became my most favorite Cat Detectives. I adore them. They are so wonderful!

Joe Grey is a beautiful and very intelligent tomcat, but he can be very stubborn when he sets his mind to it. There is trouble in the little village Molena Point where Joe, his mate Dulcie, Kit and their people live. The humans, who should be on the case don’t seem to
Susan Ferguson
I always enjoy Joe Grey's adventures. I thought I had read this one, but I had not. This is shortly after he and Dulcie have awakened to their new abilities and they are still trying to understand how to use them and accept the differences it has made to their lives. Their is an easy acceptance to the two, but there is also an uncertainty and nervousness about things. There are boundaries that hey haven't yet figured out and unresolved questions within themselves.
But Dulcie is still determined t
This was the second book in a series where cats are the main characters. The cats provide most of the action and do all the mystery solving. The first book set up the premise that a couple of cats suddenly were able to speak human English speech and read. They were able to discover clues and mentally figure out what humans did and why, much like a human detective might, and could even manage to do some things that would be physically challenging for a cat (using a telephone, making photocopies o ...more
Ye gods, the editing! The weight of comma splices alone could kill a small sheep!
But the editing isn't (completely) the author's fault, so I didn't dock any stars. If GR had a half-star system, I would've.
It was really bad. I mean, bad.
As to the story, cat lovers will love the movement characterizations, mystery lovers will like the fluff and (little bit of) suspense, and (being both) I liked that it was kind of funny, very quick, and rather mindless. The dash of pseudo-spirituality introduced i
The second in the series is so much more fun than the first--the cats' interaction with their humans is very well done and yeah, okay, it's absurd, but I enjoyed it.
Tina Olah
My edition featured this cover:
I don't remember much about the storyline though :(
Feb 17, 2014 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat, mystery
In this delightful story by Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Dulcie is watching the trial of Rob Lake for the murder of artist Janet Jeannots. She feel he is innocent and she talks Joe into helping her investigate the crime. In order to locate new evidence Dulcie stays for a few day with a neighbour of Janet's. Both Joe and Dulcie are chased by an ornery dog. Dulcie gets Joe to join her searching the art gallery for Janet's paintings. Joe manages to trips the alarm and the cops find them. This the the s ...more
Patty Allen
Unique mystery about two cats that can talk and solve mystery. Cat under fire is more series than other cat mysteries, but enjoyable.
This story was less wonky, but the writing was absolutely horrible.
Enjoyed the tale (hahahahahah - I crack myself up) though and will read more
Sep 10, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat cozy enthusiasts
Recommended to Mary by: GoodReads
Since I like to read childrens/young adults books where it's just fun & easy reading I've begun to like reading these cat cozy stories too.
Kind of like watching a half hour sitcom. No heavy duty drama, not too lengthy, not too many characters to try to remember, etc.
Shirley Rousseau Murphy & Marian Babson are my favorite cat mystery authors & this one Cat Under Fire was pretty good. The cats were on almost every page here, a little unusual but just so long as you're ready for cat tal
No. The entire thing was a prime example of telling instead of showing. Add in absolutely zero likeable characters and the entire thing was a slog.
A nice easy read about cats solving crime.
(Mystery -Cat 1996) Joe Grey #2 Dulcie, Joe's cat friend, is reveling in her new ability to understand and to speak Human. In fact, she is getting overly involved in their business! After another murder occurs in their town, Joe and Dulcie find themselves on opposite sides as to who is the killer. Their interactions kept me amused the whole time. On to book 3!
Sarah Sammis
Murphy redeems herself with this second book in the series. While she still spends too much time proving she can think like her cat characters, there is at least more of a plot to the mystery.
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
As a dog lover, it was a bit hard to read about an abused dog as the stupid villain.
Beth Bruner
First in a fun series--Joe Grey suddenly discovers he can speak and understand human language when he's witness to a murder. Great cats, fun humans.
I enjoyed the book. It was a quick read, I finished in in about 5 hours, which is great when you don't really have a lot of time for reading.
Pretty good. Second in series and fairly mild stuff. Not heavy reading, to be sure, but a quick, fun, read. Actually about three and a half stars.
Fluff, but fun. The main characters were feeling out their roles in the first book and now seem comfortable in the second of the series.
I like her different take with Joe and Doulcie. There are so many cat mystery books out there it's a nice change.
Marvelous descriptions of real cat behavior mixed with a fantasy premise of sentient cats. A fun read.
Much better than the first one. Good enough to make me consider reading the third.
Second in the Joe Grey series, and liked this one quite a bit better than the first one.
Mar 03, 2008 Eri marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
...perhaps, look-a-like with Agatha Christie's novel, a dog being witness to a crime.
Lizzie Tannenbaum
Book #2 got me interested in reading more books that belong to the series.
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Murphy grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. She attended the San Francisco Art institute, and later worked as an interior designer while her husband attended USC. "When Pat finished school, I promptly quit my job and began to exhibit paintings and welded metal sculpture in the West Coast juried shows." Her work could also be seen in many traveli ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey, #5)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat on the Money (Joe Grey, #6.5)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)