Start by marking “Cat Under Fire: A Joe Grey Mystery” as Want to Read:
Cat Under Fire: A Joe Grey Mystery

Cat Under Fire: A Joe Grey Mystery (Joe Grey #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  780 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A big, powerful, gray feline, Joe Grey is perfectly content with his remarkable ability to understand and communicate with humans -- especially now that he has company. A mysterious accident similar to the one that enabled him to speak and read has transformed his friend Dulcie as well. The trouble is, the cute tabby female not only hears human words, she believes them.

Now
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Under Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Under Fire

Susan
I love this series about two clever cats and their owners. It's fun to see them solve mysteries. The catty cats are not over the top paranormal weird, just one regular Tom cat and one female smarty pants with an adventurous spirit.

When a fire takes the life of a friend of the kitty duo they are on the case. After things don't quite sniff out they start sleuthing around and their investigation eventually pans out. Now they must figure out how to get the message to the authorities without reveali
Ronna
Nov 05, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I'm not usually good with fantasy and suspension of belief, but this book drew me in right away with it's talking cats that can open refrigerator doors to get their food, can make telephone calls, and can think and investigate with the best of the local police force. Joe and Dulcie are special cats but also have all the endearing and naughty traits of normal cats.

In this second book, one of their human friends, a well resound artist, has been murdered. The police have a suspect in jail, but he's
April
Jan 25, 2010 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cat Under Fire
Shirley Rousseau Murphy
Avon Books
1996

Book 2 in the Joe Grey Mystery series.
Another of my Christmas gifts, this was a reread. In this book, a new character is introduced,Wilma's niece Charlie. Joe and Dulcie, the talking cats, will need to stay on their toes to not arouse Charlie's curiosity or to be found out as they investigate a local murder.

What I love about this series is how well the author depicts the cats to the reader. I read the thoughts of the cats that she wrote and I th
Sally
Jul 15, 2013 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was the second book in a series where cats are the main characters. The cats provide most of the action and do all the mystery solving. The first book set up the premise that a couple of cats suddenly were able to speak human English speech and read. They were able to discover clues and mentally figure out what humans did and why, much like a human detective might, and could even manage to do some things that would be physically challenging for a cat (using a telephone, making photocopies o ...more
Marguerite Vlielander
The Joe Grey’s mysteries.

From a friend I got my first ‘Joe Grey Mystery’. I will be thankful to her forever. The lovely books from Shirley Rousseau Murphy became my most favorite Cat Detectives. I adore them. They are so wonderful!

Joe Grey is a beautiful and very intelligent tomcat, but he can be very stubborn when he sets his mind to it. There is trouble in the little village Molena Point where Joe, his mate Dulcie, Kit and their people live. The humans, who should be on the case don’t seem to
Susan Ferguson
Dec 29, 2014 Susan Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, nook-owned, 2014
I always enjoy Joe Grey's adventures. I thought I had read this one, but I had not. This is shortly after he and Dulcie have awakened to their new abilities and they are still trying to understand how to use them and accept the differences it has made to their lives. Their is an easy acceptance to the two, but there is also an uncertainty and nervousness about things. There are boundaries that hey haven't yet figured out and unresolved questions within themselves.
But Dulcie is still determined t
Mimi
This story was less wonky, but the writing was absolutely horrible.
Enjoyed the tale (hahahahahah - I crack myself up) though and will read more
Jen
Mar 11, 2015 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truly-awful, mystery
No. The entire thing was a prime example of telling instead of showing. Add in absolutely zero likeable characters and the entire thing was a slog.
Chris Meads
Joe and Dulcie are at it again. Neither one regrets being able to talk and understand humans except that Dulcie dreams at times of being human and the feeling of soft things.

Dulcie believes the humans much to Joe's dismay when a man in jail tells her of his tale--he's in for a murder he didn't commit. She keeps company with the young man and finally gets Joe to help her in solving the mystery of how the painter/sculptor ends up dead in a fiery destruction of her apartment.

Will they solve the mys
Ricki
Apr 12, 2016 Ricki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cat Under Fire is the 2nd book in this wonderful series starring Joe Grey and his companion, the loveable Dulcie. Dulcie is obsessed with the trial of the murdered artist, Janet Jeannots. She is convinced that the person on trial is innocent...so she and Joe put on their detective hats to try to prove Rob's innocence and find out who the real murderer is!
While talking and smart cats may be unbelieveable to some, the series is quite charming...and fun to read! Cannot wait til the 3rd book gets he
Dave
Jan 17, 2016 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
Not as intriguing to me as the first book in the series, given we have to accept two talking cats with an interest in criminal justice. An interesting mystery combining humor and suspense. I'm less interested in reading the whole series than I was when I encountered the first book. Some amusing observations from the author's perception/construction of a feline point of view.
Laura Cushing
Feb 26, 2016 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Joe Gray mystery series. Joe and Dulcie are cats that can talk and have human intelligence. They put this intelligence to work trying to help an innocent human who is being tried for the murder of a local artist. How the cats work with their feline skills and limitations is very interesting, and the books are well plotted. Really enjoying the series.
Emily Cullen
Dulcie the cat is convinced that the man in jail for killing a famous local artist is innocent and she and tomcat Joe Gray investigate. This is a really fun mystery series and is very special because the cats can talk. I only gave this particular book three stars because the mystery didn't grab me as some others have done.
Jen
May 27, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ye gods, the editing! The weight of comma splices alone could kill a small sheep!
But the editing isn't (completely) the author's fault, so I didn't dock any stars. If GR had a half-star system, I would've.
It was really bad. I mean, bad.
As to the story, cat lovers will love the movement characterizations, mystery lovers will like the fluff and (little bit of) suspense, and (being both) I liked that it was kind of funny, very quick, and rather mindless. The dash of pseudo-spirituality introduced i
Sara
Jan 27, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audios-owned
The second in the series is so much more fun than the first--the cats' interaction with their humans is very well done and yeah, okay, it's absurd, but I enjoyed it.
Tina Olah
My edition featured this cover: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/09/78/...
I don't remember much about the storyline though :(
Betty
Feb 17, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat, mystery
In this delightful story by Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Dulcie is watching the trial of Rob Lake for the murder of artist Janet Jeannots. She feel he is innocent and she talks Joe into helping her investigate the crime. In order to locate new evidence Dulcie stays for a few day with a neighbour of Janet's. Both Joe and Dulcie are chased by an ornery dog. Dulcie gets Joe to join her searching the art gallery for Janet's paintings. Joe manages to trips the alarm and the cops find them. This the the s ...more
Patty Allen
Apr 19, 2015 Patty Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique mystery about two cats that can talk and solve mystery. Cat under fire is more series than other cat mysteries, but enjoyable.
Mary
Sep 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat cozy enthusiasts
Recommended to Mary by: GoodReads
Since I like to read childrens/young adults books where it's just fun & easy reading I've begun to like reading these cat cozy stories too.
Kind of like watching a half hour sitcom. No heavy duty drama, not too lengthy, not too many characters to try to remember, etc.
Shirley Rousseau Murphy & Marian Babson are my favorite cat mystery authors & this one Cat Under Fire was pretty good. The cats were on almost every page here, a little unusual but just so long as you're ready for cat tal
Xanthi
May 05, 2016 Xanthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to settle into this book but once I did, I enjoyed it. I think Dulcie is my favourite character. I enjoy the sly, subtle wit incorporated in this series.
Y
Audiobook version, though it's not available under 'other editions'.

2.5 stars.
Jenn
Sep 06, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy read about cats solving crime.
Danielle Castillo
I love the Joe Grey series! on to the next one:)
Joss
A fun little "tail"!
Cathi95
Oct 15, 2013 Cathi95 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
(Mystery -Cat 1996) Joe Grey #2 Dulcie, Joe's cat friend, is reveling in her new ability to understand and to speak Human. In fact, she is getting overly involved in their business! After another murder occurs in their town, Joe and Dulcie find themselves on opposite sides as to who is the killer. Their interactions kept me amused the whole time. On to book 3!
Jackie
Apr 05, 2016 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a little longer than I liked to get through the book. There is just a lot of description about the scenery in these books, when I'd rather it just get to the point. Other than that, it was still a good little mystery.
Sarah Sammis
Jul 19, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2006
Murphy redeems herself with this second book in the series. While she still spends too much time proving she can think like her cat characters, there is at least more of a plot to the mystery.
Vicky
Mar 05, 2015 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of over 40 books, including the award-winning Joe Grey cat mystery series and three other novels for adults, the Dragonbards Trilogy and more for young adults, and many books for children. She grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. After attending the San Francisco Art institute she worked as an interior designer, and ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey, #5)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)
  • Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey, #11)