Start by marking “Shadow Woman” as Want to Read:
Shadow Woman

Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,312 ratings  ·  79 reviews
In her latest adventure, Jane Whitefield, who helps people in trouble disappear from one life and establish a new identity, is hired by a Las Vegas gambling casino executive running from contract killers. But the killers are on the trail of the shadow woman and soon Jane becomes the principle target of their rage and revenge.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 16th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Woman

jo
the chase and the thrilling are as reliably excellent as ever, but i was seriously annoyed by the representation of jane's and carey's marriage. i hoped for a twist that would indicate the absurdity of it, and maybe jane's and carey's side adventures, with their romantic frisson, are that, but i doubt it. perry seems dead serious when he represents jane as wanting a fully dedicated domestic marriage. that this is the novel's weak point is indicated also by perry's failure to resolve it (dramatic ...more
Keri
Sheila Beaumont
This third Jane Whitefield novel is not only the best in the series so far, but one of the best, most riveting, most suspenseful thrillers I've ever read. Thomas Perry is a very skilled writer and storyteller, and his characters come to life on the page. The story is twisty, fast-paced and compelling, but the main attraction of this series for me is its strong heroine, Jane, the intelligent, courageous, confident, resourceful half-Seneca guide who arranges for desperate, endangered people to esc ...more
IronBlossom
Gosh, I read this a little bit ago, actually listened to it on tape, and although I felt there were parts that were uneven (not a big fan of the boyfriend/husband storyline) overall it was good enough that I picked up a few others in the series and hope to find the first couple books as well. I did listen to this on tape, so it may be a little bit better, or a little bit worse, in print. However, overall, it kept me listening and wanting to listen (which means going running or at least walking o ...more
LJ
SHADOW WOMAN - VG+
Perry, Thomas - 3rd Jane Whitefield

Jane Whitefield helps people to disappear. Her client this time is a Las Vegas casino executive who knows too much for the big boys at Pleasure, Inc, who have hired two assassins to take him out. Now the contract killers, Earl and Linda, are on the trail of the shadow woman, not just her client.

I really like this series. There was good suspense but I would have preferred less narrative and more dialogue. I'll definitely read the next.
Julie Kellner
Another great Jane Whitefield novel doesn't disappoint
Helen
The third Jane Whitefield novel is highly suspenseful with people pursuing Jane and her charge on three separate fronts. The recently-married Jane has decided to retire from the business of helping people flee from would-be assassins. Unfortunately, one of her former clients has gotten himself into trouble and calls on her for help. She abandons her husband and runs off to meet the guy, a Las Vegas casino exec whose in danger from his former associates. There are some great parts of this book. T ...more
Pam
Jane Whitefield is a Native American who helps worthy people escape horrific circumstances & adopt a new identity. She is a fascinating character, cautious but wily with a good heart for helping people. I look forward to reading the rest of the series (but in order) so I can finish up with Runner, the newest release.
Joshua
I was surprised that I didn't enjoy this book more. I typically enjoy these kinds of "thrillers," but there was something about the protagonist Jane Whitefield that I just didn't find compelling. The pacing of the story seemed a bit off, as I didn't really feel engaged until the last 50 pages or so.
Jim
In Thomas Perry's third Jane Whitefield novel "Shadow Woman " Perry has woven an extremely suspenseful tale. Newly married Jane Whitefield has one last client to guide. The client however cannot manage to stay off the grid, pulling Jane back into action. The bad guys looking for Jane's client have hired a hit man team and the chase is on! Complete with wonderful characters and Perry's unique ability to weave dialog makes this novel a hit. The story line is intense and flows quickly. This is firs ...more
Adrienne Campbell
Another amazing novel from the Jane Whitefield series.

Following synopsis taken from book cover.

"Jane Whitefield is a "guide"-she leads desperate people away from danger into safe places and gives them new identities.
In Shadow Woman, Jane designs a harrowing escape for Pete Hatcher, a Las Vegas casino executive whose suspicious employers are about to kill him. Once her client is safe, Jane makes herself vanish and retires from her dangerous profession to marry the man she loves.
But the risky b
Lisa H.
I thought going into this book that I had read at least the first of Perry's previous two Jane Whitefield books, but maybe not. References to events that took place in the book just before this one didn't ring any bells, in any case, so some of the back story in Shadow Woman was a little unclear, but that ended up not mattering too much. (I'll definitely be going back and filling in the gaps before too long.)

Jane is a guide, a freelance "one-woman witness protection program" who helps people dis
Donna
Shadow Woman is an adrenaline rush from the first chapter till the book ends. It builds with such a pounding intensity that you would think it was your own life that was at stake rather than that of the guy in the book.

Jane Whitefield is a character who uses her Seneca roots to help cover the trails of hunted humans. She helps them develop completely new identities as a do-it-yourself witness protection program. Under her helpful wing, others flee and get a second shot at a life that will precip
E
DNF. I've liked a Perry and the Whitefield series before. Except for too much time describing Miraculous Miranda's performances, this one went pretty well until Jane made her speech to Carey about how she was giving up her work to devote herself completely to being the perfect wifey- wife, which made me barf and seemed a complete negation of her personality and strengths as presented here and in other books. I trudged faithfully on for a while anyway, but lost faith in Jane and interest in the b ...more
Joe
Although there were some similarities to the earlier Jane Whitefield novels, this was the best of the three. The bad guys were quirky and memorable and the author was, as always, meticulous in his attention to detail. If I ever have to change my location and identity in order to evade a bunch of professional hit men, I hope that I can find a guide as effective as Jane Whitefield.
Carol/Bonadie
After an important personal transition, Jane thinks she is out of the “people disappearing” business. As if. She gets pulled in to fix a disappearance that went awry, and gets pulled in to a situation even more threatening than before. This was an edge-of-the-seat thriller; Perry really knows how to ratchet up the tension, to say more would spoil the plot. Can’t wait to read the next one.
Penny
Absolutely fantastic read!! This installment in the Jane Whitefield series was great, I wasn't sure how she was going to survive this one and was almost afraid to finish the book because I couldn't see it ending well for her or her husband. Glad I finished it!! Kudos Thomas, great job!
Lois
Want to read a book where the tension never stops, where there's suspense about whether the husband will fall to temptation or end up dead, whether the wife will succumb to temptation, how the right thing will happen with complications galore? This is the right book to read.

Jane, who helps people disappear, has promised her new husband that she'll get out of that business. But her last project stumbles into trouble, and because Jane feels she didn't prepare the guy well enough, she goes to help
Renee
The Jane Whitefield series is a bit of a departure for me. I don't often read straight suspense but I've been really enjoying this series. And, as exciting as the action was, what I've come to appreciate is the development of Janes's character over the last few books, and especially in Shadow Woman. Her relationship with Cary has forced her to change, and to make some hard decisions about her life as a guide. Sometimes I feel like Jane is a bit of a Mary Sue, but her abilities were really challe ...more
Christy Kelly
Definitely a nail biter several times during the book. Creepy characters (hunters)gave me pause as to whether I wanted to continue but I continued and I am glad I did. It was very tense. I'm glad I continued. The first book still remains the best.
Jill
Diane Large
This was an interesting mystery. Jane Whitefield helps people, who are in danger for their lives, disappear. She gives them a new identity and a start on a new life. I sure learned a lot about covering your trail and keeping a low profile.
Karen
interesting story, book kept my interest
Christy
Can't say more than the others have. Great book
Susan
I just did not like this book.
Pamela
I really love the Jane Whitefield Character! This is the 3rd Book & I can't wait to start the 4th! I'm excited how the Jane's Life Has changed & Can't wait to see where book 4 leads (The Face Changers) I'm not much for giving spoilers or Plots. more of Saying what I think is great & these books Are awesome!! Jane is a Very Strong, Very Smart Very Beautiful Woman & I enjoy Her so Much! The "bad guys" in this book are Bad.. & I hated the *Dog* Parts. Great Book!
Robert
This one had a little different slant than the prior Jane Whitefield stories I've listened to. This one focused more on Jane and her new husband than one the "runner" himself. This new development in Jane's life presents a future problem for us, the readers. With Jane getting married she's talking about giving up the "guide" business altogether. How can this be? Without giving any more away, we are left wondering many things. Big tease! must listen to more...
Shelley
Really enjoying this series.
C
Like my review of Pursuit, full of explanations about how people do things. You get more about the main character, mainly, I suspect, because she's the protagonist of several of Perry's novels.

The woman is supposed to be an expert at hiding people, but she seems to make a lot of stupid mistakes...but maybe that's just the perspective of a person reading from all perspectives.

Sandy
This is last book in the Jane Whitefield series that I have read (though it is the third book). I started it once and didn't really like it. But after finishing it, I don't know what I was thinking before! As you read, you just don't know how everything is going to work ou. That's one of the big things that makes a book good!
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
  • Put A Lid On It
  • Even (David Trevellyan, #1)
  • Dead Water (Roderick Alleyn, #23)
  • Deadly Interest (An Alex St. James Mystery #2)
  • Fun House: A John Ceepak Mystery (John Ceepak Mystery, #7)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Cyanide Wells (Cape Perdido, #2)
  • Sweet Awakening (Tygers, #4)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
Thomas Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and a writer and producer of prime time network television shows. He lives in Southern California with his wife ...more
More about Thomas Perry...
Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1) The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2) The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4) Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)