Start by marking “Handbags And Gladrags” as Want to Read:
Handbags And Gladrags

Handbags And Gladrags

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Emily Pointer would rather jog naked through Harvey Nichols' beauty hall than be seen with last season's handbag. A fashion stylist with Chic magazine, Emily is a natural blonde, a effortless size 10, travels the world for work and gets 30 per cent discount at Prada. As far as she's concerned, life is perfect.
Published November 11th 1976 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Handbags And Gladrags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handbags And Gladrags

Kerri
If you get through the first 90% of this book you will be disappointingly rewarded by a predictable, dull final 10%. If you follow the ethos that 'life's to short to read bad books' then skip this one. Wish I had.
Natalie
Emily Pointer is a thirty-something fashion editor at a fashion magazine. She is happily married, has a gorgeous apartment in the upper middle class area of London, has the best clothes and seems to have everything going for her all-round. She goes away to the various fashion weeks in which she has a passionate affair with a photographer. At first I was very angry with her at the start of the affair, as it seemed as though she had everything going for her, so why mess it up? But as the plot prog ...more
Kate
The novel opens with an email from Emily’s lover in their secret code planning a rendezvous. It’s not until a few chapters later that we find out Emily is in fact married. And from there on the entire novel became extremely predictable. I don’t think there were any events from that point onwards that even slightly surprised me. (view spoiler) ...more
Ananda
Fashion, fashion, fashion..and a bit of romance between 2 people from the world of fashion. Well, that's what this book is all about. Emily is a stylist working for a fashion magazine, and she is married to this weird guy Oliver who's into cosmetics business. They are married for a while and seem happy until Miles comes into the picture (and yes, he is also in the fashion business, working like a photographer). Is it a fling or is there something more they should hope for.
I have to admit, I am n
Lillian
Sometimes you want something light, easy and fun to read. This book is so vapid and its main character so vacuous that it doesn't even offer mindless entertainment. It is horribly predictable and while I love fashion, the constant fashion name dropping was just a constant annoyance. Perhaps the author should have put more effort into writing an interesting story with real character and plot development than explaining in detail what each person was wearing...
Yrinsyde
Dec 22, 2007 Yrinsyde rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: public-library
I decided to pick at random some books from the local library seeing that I read mostly the same type of books - lately. I hoped that I would discover something new that I liked, perhaps.

This book is very badly structured and has no story line whatsoever - it is just an interminable tale of consumerism and bad behaviour. It had some sort of ending where the author rushed into tying things up, perhaps realising that she had reached her word limit set by the publisher and now she could finish it
Shelley
I needed a light heart book to read & this did the job perfectly. I'm a lover of fashion & magazines so found this fiction right up Fifth Ave's street ;-) The author had included a bit of a moral story as to make you realise that material goods & status doesn't always mean happiness.
Letitia
Hey, guess what, it's another chic lit book where the main character works for a fashion mag. Yawn! Bottom line, the main character is unlikeable for the entirety of the book, and the storyline is the same boring rehash. Don't waste your time.
Lucy
Well written and researched, quite creative and very good characterisation. Not quite so trivial as the title suggests, actually a few truths and insights into the fashion world and people.
Stacey Skurnik
A light and easy read. It's all a bit of fun with a nice message underneath. It's ok.
Sara
I Love Maggies Books They Make me Laugh!
Debra
Even though I know how this book ends I find comfort in re-reading it occasionally. The main character and her friends all work in fashion and, as expected, much of the book is dedicated to trivial issues and frivolous detals. However, I can always relate with the main character's obsession to details and the loneliness she feels when she gets too wrapped up in the shallow aspects of her life. If you do not like chick lit then do not bother to pick up this book but if you do pack this book the n ...more
Melanie
glamorous light hearted read
Kendra
I guess I was looking for something different in this novel. I picked it up thinking it would be a humorous novel, and while there were funny moments, the overall tone of the book was much more serious. Also, I didn't feel like much of anything was resolved at the end of the story (except for the demise of Emily's marriage), and I don't like ambiguity. Even though I was immediately turned off with the adultery, I found myself excusing it the more I read.
Bianca
This book was a good read and very similar to the concept of The Devil Wears Prada. ALthough it does take a long time to get to the crux of the problem in the book and there are also a lot of description about people who go to 'Sunday Salon' which could have been reduced. Take it for what it is, some form of escapism as you don't have to think very hard to keep up with the story.
Katie
This was a light, completely frivolous read. There was absolutely no plot and the character development was quite lacking. It was, however, a fun look at the world of fashion magazines. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of clothing and shoes. There was an attempt in the last 50 pages or so to become a deep analysis of relationships, but it failed miserably.
Liz Young
Fast paced. All the high fashion stuff was beyond me - Emily was way too entranced in world i know nothing about for me to actually like her, her friend Frannie was more my style. I couldn't have predicted what happened to make Emily turn around and look in the mirror, but where she goes afterwards is assumed. Mildlyl entertaining.
Courtney
I loved this book! If you are looking for substance or something meaningful, this is not the book. But if you are looking to get lost in a book revolved around fashion, you will love it! The author is a former editor for British Elle, and goes into great detail about fashion shows, labels, and fashion in general. Enjoy!
Sadaf Hassan
This was a light, completely frivolous read. There was absolutely no plot and the character development was quite lacking. It was dragged way to much and was reiterating in the middle. However the last few chapters were interesting. I would not say I hated the entire book. I liked some parts and disliked few.
Michele
I love Maggie Alderson for a quick light read. Romance with a twist, plenty of fashion and travel. I especially like how the the friends and family of Emily, the main character, are asking her to look live a more meaningful life and to face some of her greatest fears.
Anita
May 29, 2010 Anita rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in fashion
Not as good as the other Maggie Alderson's I've read. The major plot twist was signalled early.
I found the fashion details boring; not everyone would. I've just finished reading a number of books with similar themes, so maybe I'm a bit jaded.
Shasta
Who cares? That's all I could think about this book about an insipid fashion stylist with no substance. Alderson tries to give her characters substance but the whole thing just comes off like a fashion tell-all. I repeat - who cares?
Alana
I loved this book. Predictable, but easy reading (& a little comical), I found it hard to put down. A bit sad I've finished it really. Will have to read another by Maggie Alderson to see if they're just as good ;-)
Katie
This was an easy book to read while traveling. While not a lot of substance to the story and a rather predictable plot I found it entertaining and was keen to find time to read it whenever I could.
Candace Drabøl
I enjoyed the storyline, more than I thought I would. It's nice to read fiction of the chick lit genre and not feel like banging your head against a wall.
Narnia
It could have been soooo much better. There was too much focus on the fashion and not enough on her inner problems. I know this is chick lit, but still
Pghbekka
I LOVED this. What I always hoped Sophie Kinsella would be(and was sadly disappointed). Fun chick lit with an emphasis on the fashion aspect.
Fiona
Bored by page 10, nothing grabbed me at all and after page 50 I decided life was to short to waste on books that do nothing for me !
Ine
Het verhaal begint eerder saai en oppervlakkig, maar meer naar het einde toe komt er meer diepgang, waardoor ik dit boek toch goed vond.
Kate Moffatt
Not a bad read - would have liked an epilogue, but only because I like to know what happens after the happy ending. Loved Miles' character.
Fashion Book Lovers!: Handbags and Gladrags by Maggie Alderson 2 18 Nov 01, 2012 04:00PM
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • You Could Do Better
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • The Paradise Room
  • Going La La
  • The Secret Shopper's Revenge
  • A Question Of Love
  • Hadley (Fashionistas, #2)
  • The Thing About Jane Spring
  • The Go-To Girl
  • Another Mother's Life
  • The Men I Didn't Marry
  • Confessions Of A Demented Housewife: The Celebrity Year
Hello I was born in London, brought up in Staffordshire and educated at the University of St Andrews.

I have edited four magazines: British ELLE and ES (I was Editor of the Year for that – get me) in London, then Cleo (acting editor) and Mode in Sydney. I also worked on the Evening Standard and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Newspapers are my spiritual home. My column in Good Weekend magazine has been
More about Maggie Alderson...
Mad About the Boy Cents And Sensibility Pants On Fire How To Break Your Own Heart Shall We Dance?