Start by marking “Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,971 ratings  ·  337 reviews
Forget prophecy. Make your own destiny.

Reychel is a slave girl surrounded by magic, lies, and manipulation. Her best friend disappears in the middle of the night leaving Reychel to face her fifteenth birthday, the day her master burns his brand into the back of her bald head, alone.

Sheltered from the outside world and without any hope for escape, can Reychel learn to be
Published February 5th 2011 by Createspace (first published February 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anathema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anathema

Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingFate by Amanda HockingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireTorn by Amanda Hocking
Self-Published Young Adult Books
43rd out of 1,460 books — 2,334 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandWither by Lauren DeStefanoAcross the Universe by Beth RevisStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
YA Debuts 2011
63rd out of 332 books — 1,248 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Ash
This book drew me in when I read the first chapter on the author's blog. I thought to myself, "I've finally found a really good indie book." The opening is terrific, it says so much in a compelling way and I found myself reading on. I downloaded the book for my nook and read it in two sittings.

Now, having said that, with further reading, I could tell that this was an indie book. It's hard for indie authors to escape this, I think (being one myself, I know). Those of us who can't afford top notch
Rhonda
Very interesting idea for a story but the follow through fell a little short. It was very unbelievable to me that these older, wiser, more experienced people would just follow a 15 year old girl with her ideas, plans, and wants so easily. There was hardly any disagreement with her no matter what her plans were. “You want to lead a rescue of some prisoners even though we have been waiting for you for centuries? Sure, no problem.“

I don’t think so.

There was also a weird shift from a shy, unsure you
G.P. Ching
Full disclosure, I am part of Megg's writer's circle, so I was able to read Anathema before it was published. Anathema is the kind of book you read in a day. It moves fast and has both romantic and fantasy elements. What I like about how Megg Jensen writes fantasy is that she doesn't over-write it. Maybe it's my short fiction roots but many modern fantasy novels seem bloated to me. Not this one. The writing is tight but she doesn't sacrifice plot or characterization.

I thought the premise was ori
Mindy
Wow, what an amazing book! Hopefully, I won't have to wait long to read the following 2 books in this series! Picking up this book I had no idea what to expect. When I read the first page I was immediately intrigued! Even though the book is less than 190 pages, so much happens in the book that I am truly amazed that Megg Jensen was able to create and deliver such a compelling book in so few pages.

While reading, I was so focused on anticipating what would happen next that I couldn’t put the book
Books
The first book in the Cloud Prophecy series, “Anathema” was an awesome read! I downloaded it as a free book from kindle, and wasn’t in a rush to read it. But once I got started, I was hooked! Before I got to the end of the book, I was already looking forward to the next two books in this series by Megg Jensen.

I loved everything about this book. It was an easy and fast read, with an uncomplicated, yet unpredictable, plot line. The story moves at a comfortable pace and each setting is so well-desc
DelSheree
For a people who have been conquered and subjected to slavery, believe in a prophet meant to save them is difficult to give up. Their faith that they will one day be rescued spurs hope and planning. Reychel, a simple slave, has no notion of the prophecy. Her life has been sheltered beyond any other slave’s, even to the point of never being allowed to go or look outside except in her master’s presence. She knows nothing but the life of a slave…until her best friend goes missing and a mysterious c ...more
Madalina
This book has an age range of 10-14 for the average European. I'd say slightly older for Americans, but let's play fair. I'll wait to see what they are really like before I believe every single movie about teenagers they make.

The action is uncomplicated, there being one plot line. Just one, which appears and disappears. The pretense at a romance... all there is to it. The characters are more like ideas. No profound, original, particular aspects, and sometimes they do these plain dumb things... L
Kami
I love the main character Raychel. In the beginning we learn that Reychel is a slave. She lives with countless #s of other slaves that serve one master, Kandek. Kandek has never been mean to her. But he does treat her differently than the other slaves. She is not allowed outside, she is not allowed to be in a room without the curtains drawn & her main job is dish duty in the backroom with no windows. This is all Reychel knows, this is all she has ever known. She is unsure why Kandek restrict ...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)

I loved the pacing of the story. All of the little pieces unraveling at the perfect time. I sat and read this book all the way through in one day and found it highly enjoyable and different than anything I have read recently. The idea that the slaves/workers had to shave their heads to symbolize their position in the society. Then to actually have their masters symbols burned into the back of their skull? Seriously? Ow.

When Reychel wakes up to find her friend gone from the bed, the rumor starts
Krystal Hammond
I've seen this book on the First Reads page over and over again, and I've entered to win in several times. Never did. So, when this book popped up on Amazon's Top 100 Free list for Kindle, I decided do go ahead and download it.

Here's the super brief summary (mild spoilers): Reychel is a slave who is about to become the permanent property of her owner via a brand on her fifteenth birthday. She gets rescued and is launched on a big adventure.

My thoughts ... this book just doesn't deliver. If you l
Alexandra  Harris
Reychel is a deprived slave to master Kandek, all her life. Deprived, because he refuses to allow her to see the sky or go outside at all. Reychel can't even look out windows! She doesn't question this and follows her life, not wanting her-self or others to be effected by her disobedience.
One day her best friend (who I hate) disappears and leaves her to this personal hell alone and scared, but is she really alone? And will she always be a prisoner? No, she is rescued by her friend only to disco
Kristina
I was really excited when I got this book from the author, Megg Jensen to review. Well, actually I asked her to review it because I really wanted to read it! I had read the summary on goodreads and thought it sounded very interesting. This book did not disappoint! I was captivated from page one, and it only got better and better.

The heroine, Reychel has been a slave her entire life. On her 15th birthday she will be branded with a fox on her neck, her master’s symbol. This means she will always
Nina
First of all, this book is pretty short. I finished it in a few hours. I was reading on my kindle and wasn't keeping track of the locations, and all of a sudden it was done.

Aside from the length, I thought the book was really good. I enjoyed the story and it was entertaining enough that I didn't realize how fast I was whipping through it. The story revolves around a slave girl who discovers that she is a foretold savior of her people. This book takes her through the discovery of her status as t
Between the Covers
REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

I buy indie books on my kindle all the time. I scour the message boards for free or very low priced books every day, but I have yet to find one that has entertained me as much as Anathema by Megg Jensen. (And it was a steal for only $0.99.) The first in The Cloud Trilogy, this book is extremely well written and developed.

Anathema centers around a slave girl named Reychel. Reychel was born into slavery and is forbidden from viewing the outside world u
Ivy
Anathema by Megg Jensen is intriguing and it had me hooked since reading the synopsis!

I normally do not read the fantasy genre, however, Anathema’s synopsis really caught me and I knew I would need to read it. When Megg approached me to ask me to review this book, I really jumped at this opportunity because I have heard great things about it and it looked interesting for me to read.

Knowing that there is a character in this book with my name did not make me automatically like her. I wished I did
Leah J.J Summers
Well, I first got this book for free from Amazon and heard about it on Wattpad, so I decided to check it out.
I'll admit the ending was a little rushed, but I didn't mind too much.
The beginning was filled with more telling than showing so I was a little frustrated, and the story was pretty predictable. Wish there had been a few more subplots to make it a bit more complicated. I write books too, and if I had written out the plot and how it all comes together, this would have been my first draft. T
Romancing the Book
Reviewed By- Steph O.
Review Copy Provided By- Print Copy
This is my second time reading the book. I have to say, it’s like I never even read it . . I am so drawn into it. Even though I am fully aware of what is to come, and what leads to what, I am still getting the same feelings all over again. From the heart pounding excited of escape, to the mind spinning lies, and manipulation that are going on.

Reychel has spent her entire life hidden from the outside. Allowed only brief glimpses of the outsi
Linny
Review on Linny's Literature

The first book in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy, Anathema introduces us to a world full of slavery and people with extraordinary gifts. I got Anathema for free on Amazon (Where it is still free, by the way. Hey, wait! You haven't read my review yet! ... *sigh*) While I can never turn down a free book with an intriguing description, I haven't had many good experiences with free books. But Anathema was better than I had expected it would be.

Why I liked it:
1. The unique stor
Kimberly
This book had potential. The plot drew me in instantly, and I really like the idea of the gifted, but the book as a whole didn't really work for me. I have major problems with the character building. It wasn't very realistic. I know that sounds silly because this is a fantasy book, but the relationships between the chararcters weren't convincing. The romantic realationships were especially unrealistic and unsatisfying. Some authors can pull off the love at first sight thing (It's still a bit ann ...more
Dixie
Free book I got from Amazon this is my review on it:

Can one girl save the fate of her people?

Reychel has been a slave her whole life she wakes up to find her only friend missing without a trace except a gold coin in her place. What is she going to do now?
What can one slave girl do?

Follow Reychel’s story from a slave to a free person.

It’s fast paced and has a good plot and storyline. I would have liked to see more in depth characterization of the characters because each of them has the potenti
Lindsay
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

This was a free ebook that a few of my goodreads friends had recommended so i figured i had nothing to lose, didn't cost me anything but a little bit of time to see if it was worth the effort.

I am glad to say it was.

The characters were developed well, i do wish they had been a little bit deeper but compared to some ebooks i have read recently it was miles ahead.

The plot was fresh and sharp, it moved well never staying still for to long, nor trying to move
Karen Fowler
Anathema is a well-written, fast paced YA fantasy that hooks you into the story from the very first page. I read a great deal of paranormal books, but I seldom stray into the land of Fantasy. I'm logical-brained and usually it takes too much for me to suspend my beliefs and really get into fantasy books. That was not the case with this novel though, and I'm glad that I stepped outside of my comfort zone.

I'll skip the synopsis, because that's what book blurbs are for. I will say that this book t
Wanda Hartzenberg
My review
I fell in love with the cover the first time I saw it. I still adore it. So when it became free on Amazon for a limited time I could not wait to download it.
I started to read it but found it a little hard to really get into the story. I found the start of the book slow and overly detailed. So why did I stick with reading the book? For the prose, Megg’s use of the English language is a treat all by itself. She really does use nice words and has an ease of writing that is a pleasure to re
Erin Danzer
** SPOILERS MAY ENSUE **
Had to add the note because I just finished reading the amazing novel, Anathema by Megg Jensen and I'm still wrapping my mind around everything that happened.

And a LOT happened. The novel follows Reychel, a slave to Kandek, as she wakes on her fifteenth birthday to find her best friend missing. Add to this the fact that fifteen is a magic number, when a slave becomes "legal" and is branded to be kept in the family.

And that's only the beginning! The fast-paced action will
Fictional Bookshelf
Anathema is without a doubt one of the best Ya Fantasy books I’ve ever had the privilege of reading. Yes, I said privilege because Megg Jensen, the author, is very talented and crafted one heck of a story that left me breathless.

Anathema is the first YA Fantasy story I’ve ever read and it took me by surprise from the very first paragraph. The plot sucked me in as I scrolled through the pages. The storyline moved quickly and if you weren’t paying close attention, you will miss the dynamic descrip
Jalyn
I liked this book. It's an interesting and fast read and has a fairy tale kind of feel to it.

This books starts of with a slave named Reychel waking up on her 15th birthday to find her best friend, Ivy, missing. She finds a coin under the covers and knows that her friend has been freed from a life of slavery. Reychel is happy for Ivy, but she needs Ivy's support because she is to be branded on the back of her neck today to show she belongs to her master, Kandek. Reychel learns that you can't alwa
Melanie (I'm a bookish pirate witch)
I clearly did not expect the book to be this way. Well, first I did not know what to expect at all.
The surprising fact is that it got me wanting more, even though I took quite a ling time to read it. I've never read a book with such a mysterious and intriguing world, with its stories and myths. Really worth reading, and I totally don't regret it!
Jackie -Sated Faery
Excellent book! Very unique story about a slave girl who must figure out her destiny & learn who to trust. I read somewhere that Megg Jensen described this as a "Medieval Dystopian" which is a perfect description of the setting! The other characters are very interesting as well, even if some of them are horrid! Mark is amazing - who wouldn't fall for a sexy, dangerous soldier like him! I worried about Reychel throughout the whole book, even when I wasn't reading it! The ending probably would ...more
Vamps R Us
Jensen's ideas are wonderful. She has a strong creative sense that bleeds through the novel. Unfortunately, Anathema falls short on the basics. Timing, plot execution, believable tension, dialogue, and realistic characters are all issues impacting my overall enjoyment of the novel. I still give it a 3 based on the quality of the driving ideas, but the mechanics fell flat.

Overall, I did enjoy Anathema, it just didn't grab me in the way I think it could have.

To see full review go here (warning th
Cheri
WOW. Loved this book. One of the few books this year that has kept my attention throughout, and which had me reading long past my bedtime. Author Megg Jensen has a gift for fine storytelling, for suspense, for compelling characters. I was enchanted by the world she created with Anathema. And I long to read on to the second book in the series. I highly recommend Jensen's work to any who adore young adult fiction but, most importantly, those who simply like to read a compelling story well-told.

Can
The YA Curator: Anathema 1 15 Oct 06, 2011 10:13AM
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Souls (Ivy MacTavish, #1)
  • Rippler (Ripple, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Released (Agents of Evil, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Frey (The Frey Saga, #1)
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1)
I've been a freelance parenting journalist since 2003 and began writing YA novels in 2009. I live in the Chicago suburbs with my husband, two kids, and our miniature schnauzers, Ace & Tanu.

For more information on me please visit my website at http://www.meggjensen.com
More about Megg Jensen...
Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1) Oubliette (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #2) Severed (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #3) The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5) (The Song of Eloh Saga, #1) Shucked

“Ivy held no claim over me," he said softly. "You, on the other hand, you claimed me from the moment I first saw you.” 10 likes
“There will always be sadness, child, but until you're dead life goes on. Don't waste it lying in bed.” 7 likes