Start by marking “Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,814 Ratings  ·  407 Reviews
Forget prophecy. Make your own destiny.

Reychel is a slave girl surrounded by magic, lies, and manipulation. Her best friend disappears in the middle of the night leaving Reychel to face her fifteenth birthday, the day her master burns his brand into the back of her bald head, alone.

Sheltered from the outside world and without any hope for escape, can Reychel learn to be
Published February 5th 2011 by Createspace (first published February 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anathema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anathema

Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFate by Amanda HockingTorn by Amanda Hocking
Self-Published Young Adult Books
50th out of 1,701 books — 2,627 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandWither by Lauren DeStefanoAcross the Universe by Beth RevisStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
YA Debuts 2011
62nd out of 331 books — 1,243 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Ash
Mar 05, 2011 Linda Ash rated it liked it
This book drew me in when I read the first chapter on the author's blog. I thought to myself, "I've finally found a really good indie book." The opening is terrific, it says so much in a compelling way and I found myself reading on. I downloaded the book for my nook and read it in two sittings.

Now, having said that, with further reading, I could tell that this was an indie book. It's hard for indie authors to escape this, I think (being one myself, I know). Those of us who can't afford top notch
Rhonda
Jun 27, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-freebies
Very interesting idea for a story but the follow through fell a little short. It was very unbelievable to me that these older, wiser, more experienced people would just follow a 15 year old girl with her ideas, plans, and wants so easily. There was hardly any disagreement with her no matter what her plans were. “You want to lead a rescue of some prisoners even though we have been waiting for you for centuries? Sure, no problem.“

I don’t think so.

There was also a weird shift from a shy, unsure you
G.P. Ching
Feb 11, 2011 G.P. Ching rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indelibles
Full disclosure, I am part of Megg's writer's circle, so I was able to read Anathema before it was published. Anathema is the kind of book you read in a day. It moves fast and has both romantic and fantasy elements. What I like about how Megg Jensen writes fantasy is that she doesn't over-write it. Maybe it's my short fiction roots but many modern fantasy novels seem bloated to me. Not this one. The writing is tight but she doesn't sacrifice plot or characterization.

I thought the premise was ori
Kogiopsis
Meh.

There are debut novels that need a final polish, and then there are books that flop at the 'finding the story' phase, and sadly this is one of the second kind. There are concepts here that might be interesting, but the plot is muddled and lacks innovation. This is far from the first "girl secretly has Super Special Magic Powers" story out there, and while I think Jensen may have been reaching for interesting issues regarding imperialism, slavery, and psychology, she never quite hit the mark.
DelSheree
Mar 16, 2012 DelSheree rated it liked it
For a people who have been conquered and subjected to slavery, believe in a prophet meant to save them is difficult to give up. Their faith that they will one day be rescued spurs hope and planning. Reychel, a simple slave, has no notion of the prophecy. Her life has been sheltered beyond any other slave’s, even to the point of never being allowed to go or look outside except in her master’s presence. She knows nothing but the life of a slave…until her best friend goes missing and a mysterious c ...more
Mindy
Apr 08, 2011 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Wow, what an amazing book! Hopefully, I won't have to wait long to read the following 2 books in this series! Picking up this book I had no idea what to expect. When I read the first page I was immediately intrigued! Even though the book is less than 190 pages, so much happens in the book that I am truly amazed that Megg Jensen was able to create and deliver such a compelling book in so few pages.

While reading, I was so focused on anticipating what would happen next that I couldn’t put the book
Books
Dec 24, 2011 Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The first book in the Cloud Prophecy series, “Anathema” was an awesome read! I downloaded it as a free book from kindle, and wasn’t in a rush to read it. But once I got started, I was hooked! Before I got to the end of the book, I was already looking forward to the next two books in this series by Megg Jensen.

I loved everything about this book. It was an easy and fast read, with an uncomplicated, yet unpredictable, plot line. The story moves at a comfortable pace and each setting is so well-desc
Kami Dodson-Perry
I love the main character Raychel. In the beginning we learn that Reychel is a slave. She lives with countless #s of other slaves that serve one master, Kandek. Kandek has never been mean to her. But he does treat her differently than the other slaves. She is not allowed outside, she is not allowed to be in a room without the curtains drawn & her main job is dish duty in the backroom with no windows. This is all Reychel knows, this is all she has ever known. She is unsure why Kandek restrict ...more
Krystal
This is my first read by Megg Jensen and she did a great job on Anathema. This book took me by surprise I didn’t think I was going to like it because for its low rating. But wow I freaking loved it. I completely and utterly devoured Anathema. This book really sucked me in and there was no turning back for me. Anathema had a great fast pace and it really keep me on my toes.

All the characters were ok but there really wasn’t anything overly great about them. The character building wasn’t up to par
Jodi Perkins
The beginning of Anathema was compelling and sucked me right in, but once Reychel is rescued from the castle, the story is "just okay." The storyline lacks intensity and, with the exception of Reychel and Ivy, the interactions between the characters feel forced. The insta-love between Reychel and Mark make their relationship bland--a little wariness and/or volatility between them would have gone a long way in adding tension to the story. Also, while I enjoy a light read from time to time, Anathe ...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)

I loved the pacing of the story. All of the little pieces unraveling at the perfect time. I sat and read this book all the way through in one day and found it highly enjoyable and different than anything I have read recently. The idea that the slaves/workers had to shave their heads to symbolize their position in the society. Then to actually have their masters symbols burned into the back of their skull? Seriously? Ow.

When Reychel wakes up to find her friend gone from the bed, the rumor starts
Krystal Hammond
I've seen this book on the First Reads page over and over again, and I've entered to win in several times. Never did. So, when this book popped up on Amazon's Top 100 Free list for Kindle, I decided do go ahead and download it.

Here's the super brief summary (mild spoilers): Reychel is a slave who is about to become the permanent property of her owner via a brand on her fifteenth birthday. She gets rescued and is launched on a big adventure.

My thoughts ... this book just doesn't deliver. If you l
Dixie A.
Jan 01, 2015 Dixie A. rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received an electronic copy of this book as part of the EPIC: Fourteen Books Of Fantasy boxed set in exchange for an honest review.

This story is part one of a series and, like all too many series I've read lately, disappointing on its own. It's about a culture who keeps another enslaved. However, many of those enslaved have special gifts and they've been waiting for the birth of a special person who will be their prophet and win their freedom.

Given their gifts, however, I think they mostly hav
David Powell
This book was published some time ago, in 2011, so anything I write about it will have little effect on sales. Not that that should bother me.

I read this through, drawn by a not half-bad story, but irritated by the manner of telling. I feel the writer would perhaps of benefitted from critiques that were from other writers without any connection to her. As it is, one gets the impression that most of the pre publishing reviews must have come from adoring family and friends.

She writes of a young wo
Gracy
Oct 16, 2015 Gracy rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, I really did. The premise is a good one, of class struggles conflicting the indigenous people with imperialist masters, with magic abilities added in. But there are just too many weak points here. The heroine is unrelateable - too much Mary Jane-ness and almost bipolar shifts between mopey angst and blinding optimism. Lots of the action is half-hearted and under developed: about 10,000 hugs happen without description, and movements are largely left un-illuminated. The ...more
Miss Chevious
I really really liked where this book started going at the beginning. I could feel the potential of a unique story. And then....

Splat.

It went dreadfully downhill halfway through. I mean...really BAD. The romance was rushed and shallow and so completely unbelievable. Her abilities had zero consistancy. The conversations were stiff and weird... and omg don't even get me started on the speech style...
The setting seemed old timey...yet the people would say phrases that you only hear in today's socie
Emily
May 06, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgallery
Original unabridged version posted on: http://emilywinfield24.wordpress.com/

This book was quite short, and was easily read in a day. I really liked the beginning of this; , slaves imprisoned, and just before they're about to be branded they manage to escape. However, for me it went down hill from there... This is where they reveal that the two escaped slaves have magic, and are supported in their escape by others with magic too. However, as it is outlawed, they have to keep it hidden. Despite it
Alexandra  Harris
May 20, 2014 Alexandra Harris rated it really liked it
Reychel is a deprived slave to master Kandek, all her life. Deprived, because he refuses to allow her to see the sky or go outside at all. Reychel can't even look out windows! She doesn't question this and follows her life, not wanting her-self or others to be effected by her disobedience.
One day her best friend (who I hate) disappears and leaves her to this personal hell alone and scared, but is she really alone? And will she always be a prisoner? No, she is rescued by her friend only to disco
Kristina
Jun 06, 2011 Kristina rated it it was amazing
I was really excited when I got this book from the author, Megg Jensen to review. Well, actually I asked her to review it because I really wanted to read it! I had read the summary on goodreads and thought it sounded very interesting. This book did not disappoint! I was captivated from page one, and it only got better and better.

The heroine, Reychel has been a slave her entire life. On her 15th birthday she will be branded with a fox on her neck, her master’s symbol. This means she will always
Nina
Jun 24, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it
First of all, this book is pretty short. I finished it in a few hours. I was reading on my kindle and wasn't keeping track of the locations, and all of a sudden it was done.

Aside from the length, I thought the book was really good. I enjoyed the story and it was entertaining enough that I didn't realize how fast I was whipping through it. The story revolves around a slave girl who discovers that she is a foretold savior of her people. This book takes her through the discovery of her status as t
Between the Covers
REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

I buy indie books on my kindle all the time. I scour the message boards for free or very low priced books every day, but I have yet to find one that has entertained me as much as Anathema by Megg Jensen. (And it was a steal for only $0.99.) The first in The Cloud Trilogy, this book is extremely well written and developed.

Anathema centers around a slave girl named Reychel. Reychel was born into slavery and is forbidden from viewing the outside world u
Ivy
May 26, 2011 Ivy rated it it was amazing
Anathema by Megg Jensen is intriguing and it had me hooked since reading the synopsis!

I normally do not read the fantasy genre, however, Anathema’s synopsis really caught me and I knew I would need to read it. When Megg approached me to ask me to review this book, I really jumped at this opportunity because I have heard great things about it and it looked interesting for me to read.

Knowing that there is a character in this book with my name did not make me automatically like her. I wished I did
Leah J.J Summers
Apr 23, 2012 Leah J.J Summers rated it really liked it
Well, I first got this book for free from Amazon and heard about it on Wattpad, so I decided to check it out.
I'll admit the ending was a little rushed, but I didn't mind too much.
The beginning was filled with more telling than showing so I was a little frustrated, and the story was pretty predictable. Wish there had been a few more subplots to make it a bit more complicated. I write books too, and if I had written out the plot and how it all comes together, this would have been my first draft. T
Romancing the Book
Dec 02, 2011 Romancing the Book rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Reviewed By- Steph O.
Review Copy Provided By- Print Copy
This is my second time reading the book. I have to say, it’s like I never even read it . . I am so drawn into it. Even though I am fully aware of what is to come, and what leads to what, I am still getting the same feelings all over again. From the heart pounding excited of escape, to the mind spinning lies, and manipulation that are going on.

Reychel has spent her entire life hidden from the outside. Allowed only brief glimpses of the outsi
Linny
Apr 20, 2012 Linny rated it liked it
Review on Linny's Literature

The first book in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy, Anathema introduces us to a world full of slavery and people with extraordinary gifts. I got Anathema for free on Amazon (Where it is still free, by the way. Hey, wait! You haven't read my review yet! ... *sigh*) While I can never turn down a free book with an intriguing description, I haven't had many good experiences with free books. But Anathema was better than I had expected it would be.

Why I liked it:
1. The unique stor
Kimberly
Mar 19, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was ok
This book had potential. The plot drew me in instantly, and I really like the idea of the gifted, but the book as a whole didn't really work for me. I have major problems with the character building. It wasn't very realistic. I know that sounds silly because this is a fantasy book, but the relationships between the chararcters weren't convincing. The romantic realationships were especially unrealistic and unsatisfying. Some authors can pull off the love at first sight thing (It's still a bit ann ...more
Dixie
Oct 06, 2012 Dixie rated it liked it
Free book I got from Amazon this is my review on it:

Can one girl save the fate of her people?

Reychel has been a slave her whole life she wakes up to find her only friend missing without a trace except a gold coin in her place. What is she going to do now?
What can one slave girl do?

Follow Reychel’s story from a slave to a free person.

It’s fast paced and has a good plot and storyline. I would have liked to see more in depth characterization of the characters because each of them has the potenti
Lindsay
Mar 10, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

This was a free ebook that a few of my goodreads friends had recommended so i figured i had nothing to lose, didn't cost me anything but a little bit of time to see if it was worth the effort.

I am glad to say it was.

The characters were developed well, i do wish they had been a little bit deeper but compared to some ebooks i have read recently it was miles ahead.

The plot was fresh and sharp, it moved well never staying still for to long, nor trying to move
Karen Fowler
May 28, 2011 Karen Fowler rated it really liked it
Anathema is a well-written, fast paced YA fantasy that hooks you into the story from the very first page. I read a great deal of paranormal books, but I seldom stray into the land of Fantasy. I'm logical-brained and usually it takes too much for me to suspend my beliefs and really get into fantasy books. That was not the case with this novel though, and I'm glad that I stepped outside of my comfort zone.

I'll skip the synopsis, because that's what book blurbs are for. I will say that this book t
Wanda Hartzenberg
May 05, 2012 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing
My review
I fell in love with the cover the first time I saw it. I still adore it. So when it became free on Amazon for a limited time I could not wait to download it.
I started to read it but found it a little hard to really get into the story. I found the start of the book slow and overly detailed. So why did I stick with reading the book? For the prose, Megg’s use of the English language is a treat all by itself. She really does use nice words and has an ease of writing that is a pleasure to re
The YA Curator: Anathema 1 16 Oct 06, 2011 10:13AM
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Released (Agents of Evil, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Souls (Ivy MacTavish, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Exiled (Immortal Essence #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1)
  • The Amulet (Custodian Novel, #1)
  • Insight (Insight #1; Web of Hearts and Souls #1)
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy, #1)
Megg Jensen is a two-time USA Today bestselling author of epic fantasy.

No stranger to top ten lists on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the iBookstore, Megg's novels have garnered millions of downloads, attracting fans from all over the world.

She lives in Chicago with her husband, kids, and two insane miniature schnauzers.
More about Megg Jensen...

Cloud Prophet Trilogy (3 books)
  • Oubliette (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #2)
  • Severed (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #3)

“Ivy held no claim over me," he said softly. "You, on the other hand, you claimed me from the moment I first saw you.” 10 likes
“There will always be sadness, child, but until you're dead life goes on. Don't waste it lying in bed.” 8 likes