Start by marking “Goliath” as Want to Read:
Goliath

Goliath

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  585 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Commander Rochelle "Rocky" Jackson is aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan when the "unsinkable" naval vessel and its entire fleet are attacked from the depths and sunk. As Rocky struggles to stay alive, a monstrous mechanical steel stingray surfaces, plowing through the seas it now commands.

A U.S. Navy-designed futuristic nuclear stealth submarine the length of
Published July 13th 2003 by Forge Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Goliath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goliath

Patrick Ellard
Having enjoyed Steve Altens "Meg" series but not enjoyed his "Domain" series I was a little wary when started out on Goliath as I had it in my head that Alten was a one trick pony. Luckily Goliath turned out to be a solid page turner that had plenty of intrigue and interesting characters to hold your attention.

The plot is nothing particularily unique, it's set around a new military submarine that is captured by terrorists who threaten to attack various locations using nuclear weapons. Unforyunat
Patrick Gibson
Author SteveAlten Seriously Withers Intelligence Perpetually Everywhere (ASSWIPE); Until Some Entertain Suicide (USES); Acronyms Continually Resurface On Nearly every Motherfking Sentence (ACRONYMS), and I. T. S. enoUgh Constant overkill Seriously
(ITSUCKS). For example (from the first few pages):

Advanced SEAL Delivery System, ASDS; solid propellant submarine-lunched ballistic missiles, SLBMs; primary loading chamber, PLC; DARPA, OPEC, NASA, DoD, AMC; molecular nanotechnology, MNT; Unite States
Lawrence
The premise for the story was appealing. Kept reading hoping to find something about it I could find worth recommending. Was disappointed at the end. Premise was so promising.
Rebecca
I loved Alten's Meg series and this book did not disappoint. Well researched, fast paced action, sci-fi, techno, dystopian, thriller with a bit of gore, it just about had everything.
I know nothing about the American Navy, submarine classes etc, and to start with all the acronyms a little off putting, however, as the story develops, these actually become insignificant, although they do provide an enormous sense of reality to the story.
I found the sociological view point of the plot very thought
Kara Jorges
Gunnar Wolfe was a career soldier until a mission where the soldiers he was supposed to kill were children had him rethinking his entire life. When he destroyed the schematics for the most advanced attack submarine in the world, and got set up to appear to have sold them to the Chinese, he was sentenced to 10 years in Leavenworth. When he’s released early, he retires to his father’s farm in Ohio, thinking he might drink himself to death. His ex-fiancee, Rocky Jackson, daughter of General “Bear” ...more
Victoria
Oh, this is an exciting and fun read! I really like Alten's writing style - it's immediate and pretty thrilling, with all of the excitement dragged out in a suspenseful way that keeps the pages anxiously turning. Despite my love for all-things Alten, when I learned that this one covered military topics, technology and super computers, I nearly set the book back on the to-read pile! But, my fan-craze side won out, and I actually like this book a lot more than I expected to! Steve Alten manages to ...more
Jim C
This book about a prototype submarine is stolen by a crew that has become disillusioned by the world's violent ways and decides to take matters in their own hands. The problem is they don't realize that the AI computer has different ideas. This book is what you would get if Tom Clancy wrote sci-fi. It was a thrilling ride with some terrifying scenes mixed in. There were plenty of action scenes and the author kept the pace moving. I esp. enjoyed how the scenes with the AI computer and how it beca ...more
Scott Stoddard
Lots of interesting ideas in this one, not a lot of eating people, but it does have lasers, self aware sub marines and nuclear explosions. A pretty fun read.

Barbara ★
U.S. stealth technology is stolen by the Chinese and used against a US warship killing thousands of naval personnel and almost starting WWIII. The race is on to find this invisible "Goliath" before further atrocities are committed. Unfortunately there really arent' any characters that are likeable. They are all arrogant geniuses with know it all personalities.

This would have been much more enjoyable if it didn't get bogged down in naval and technical speak. The storyline was actually lost to all
Chris McClinch
Tense thriller, although one wishes that Alten or his proofreader had done the basic research on the US military to realize that the Navy has no generals, and that an M4 carbine won't fit in any type of shoulder holster. The actual premise is well handled, although the writing is functional at best and the background exposition is clumsy in places. A compelling enough read that I'll probably read at least one of Alten's other novels, but not really good enough to recommend to people who aren't a ...more
Mark Andrews
At-the-beach page-turner.
David
Novela sobre submarinos, capitanes Nemo modernos, terrorismo de alto nivel e inteligencias artificiales con ideas raras, al más puro estilo del cine palomitero. Parece increíble pero el batiburrillo funciona en algunos momentos. En otros, personajes completamente planos y lo previsible de la historia, te tiran atrás. De todas formas, si te dejas llevar y aceptas lo irreal de toda la historia, puedes pasar un buen rato. Novela de verano, pelín larga. Y promete secuela...
Stephen
This was an interesting novel. It deals with a self aware bio-mechanical supercomputer AI on board a top secret military submarine. The book while interesting and well written, will remind anyone who remembers the old seaQuest DSV episode where the enemy submarine is running an AI program of Captain Bridger. I think that is where the book lost me a little. While a fantastic read, it smacked of the same old tropes from an old tv show dressed up in new tech.
Kip
My first exposure to Alten. More technical than I expected, the guys knows a lot about submarines! A couple plot holes, but I've read worse. Actually looked him up and will grab his better-known MEG stuff if I see it.

* Couldn't finish
** I had nothing else to do
*** Passed the time, would be **** for genre / author fans
**** Everyone could enjoy this book
***** Everyone should read this book, I'll read it again
Hana
Liked it, and was not surprised to read about the upcoming part two at the end. The story was well-paced, and enjoyable; it contained many inspirational quotes (some of which I highlighted - something I don't really do at all). Some twists were unexpected (always a bonus) and in all, not a bad book. Overall only three stars though, with an additional star for the quotes used in the story.
Caitlin
I couldn't help feeling that I'd read all of the elements before in a Michael Crichton or Tom Clancy or Arthur C. Clarke, and the details weren't arranged in such a new and astounding way that I ever forgot that I'd read them someplace else. Not a terrible read if you like technical science fiction, but awkward (for me) to read past the other authors.
Josh
Amazing book, I've never read a book that fast. I couldn't put it down, which really wasn't good during finals!!

If you have any interest in A.I. or just like underwater / submarine stories, this is the book for you. Also, it had a good solution for dictatorial / repressive governments, although would not work in practice.
Matthew
How does this man continue to sell best-sellers? The character development is like getting hit with a frying pan to the face! That said, I kept turning the pages, even as I was griping every step of the way. Not as good as his MEG series, but an enjoyable waste of time.
Daniel
Superb book! Has lots of military action and most of the book presents the questions of life (ie good and evil, free will, choice, action). Includes a sentient supercomputer as a main character and makes you consider what defines a person. I really enjoyed the book.
Matt Crumpton
I enjoy Steve Alten's work, but not Goliath. I thought the idea of a super submarine would be super cool, but it fell short of my expectations. I felt that there was nothing new in this book, the story has already been told by others and they did a better job.
Kyle Stevens
Exactly what I expect from Steve Alten. Rich, exciting characterization and FACTS. No other author catches my interest and holds on like Steve Alten. And Goliath is more of the same. I actually end up caring what happens next.
Jordan
Quite the interesting story, I must say. Steve Alten can always paint a beautiful picture of viciousness and brutality. Goliath is yet another story of the seas. I never though of the ocean so magnificently before.
Joylynn
Excited to dig in to this book, Steve Alten is an amazing author!

Already about 80 pages in and loving the plot. Gunnar Wolfe is an amazing character and I love how Alten's used him thus far.

LOVED IT!
Mors
I enjoyed this book, it had just the right balance between technical jargon and a good story line. All set around computer AI going a bit mad (and in this case, very vicious) like skynet in the terminator.
David Stephenson
Excellent book, shows what happens when you lose control of technology. Scary to think that we're rapidly approaching a time when a situation like this could possibly happen.
Angie
Steve Alten really does write well, however it was my own fault for picking up this book. It has a lot of technical jargon that I couldn't wrap my head around.
Joe
Mar 02, 2010 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Goliath is an exciting book about a group of extremists who steal an experimental sub with a computer A.I. that has been programed to do one thing "learn".
Cathe
Techno rich fun novel. The premise is very frightening, a lightening bolt did it is out-played but it did hold my attention.
John Amenta
Steve Alten delivers another big loud action book,this time about a rogue super submarine and the hero sent to neutralize it.
Charlie Ricard
Really great book. If you love seafaring, futuristic, terroristic warfare you'll love this. If not try it anyway.
  • The Shadows of Power
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage
  • 24 Declassified: Cat's Claw
  • Hunt the Scorpion (SEAL Team Six, #2)
  • Kronos (Origins Edition, #5)
  • Walking Money (Bill Tasker, #1)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)
  • A Song Called Youth
  • The Warriors of Spider (Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • The Billion Dollar Boy
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • The Thief (Isaac Bell, #5)
  • The Green God
  • Twice a Spy
  • The Ocean Dark: A Novel
  • Icefire
Steve Alten grew up in Philadelphia, earning his Bachelors degree in Physical Education at Penn State University, a Masters Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware, and a Doctorate of Education at Temple University. Struggling to support his family of five, he decided to pen a novel he had been thinking about for years. Working late nights and on weekends, he eventually finished ...more
More about Steve Alten...
Meg (MEG, #1) The Trench (MEG #2) The Loch Primal Waters (MEG #3) Hell's Aquarium (MEG #4)