Start by marking “Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus” as Want to Read:
Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus

Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Nowhere was the vitality of Jesus more visible than in His love--compassionate, honest, powerful, humble, and sacrificial. Get to know Jesus, observe His life and His love as they unfold in the gospel accounts of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Combined with author Paul Miller's own life stories, Love Walked Among Us will encourage you to imitate Jesus' way of loving people ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Not Avail (first published August 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Love Walked Among Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Walked Among Us

Starr Cliff
This author walks us through a look at the lovely, compassionate acts of Jesus. I see in myself the same tendency toward snap judgments and self - preservation that the disciples make, and find a new gratitude that Jesus is willing and able to make me more like Himself. Miraculous indeed. "Jesus lowers himself in order to care, while the disciples elevate themselves in order to judge.... They see sin, Jesus sees need.... The disciples see a completed tragedy and wonder who the villain was, Jesus ...more
Jonathan McIntosh
Love Walked Among Us is the first book from Paul Miller, author of A Praying Life... and I think it is just as good as its more well known successor.

Two things happen as you read Love Walked Among Us:
1. You get a fresh look at Jesus, at the way he loved and interacted with others. Jesus leaps off the pages. And you easily find yourself in amazement of him... possibly even falling in love with him. This book truly stirred my affections for him.

2. You get a long (and often hard) look at what it me
Joe Haack
This is a solid book. Worth reading. My copy is marked up with more than usual marginalia.

Miller's strength (I think) is categorizing aspects of Jesus' sprawling earthly ministry into helpful aphorisms (or as my friend John would say, "gospel nuggets").

One instance of this: Jesus says: "The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life - only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord." Because Jesus was True Humanity, Miller applies this to a marria
Josh Morgan
This review first appeared on my blog, Jacob's Café (jacobscafe.blogspot.com).

A theme of this blog is exploring what it means to love in Christ. Paul E. Miller's book, Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus, is a good addition to that discussion. Miller fills his book with many illustrations from both the biblical narrative and his and friends' lives. This approach really helps ground the principles, brings many of them to life, and creates a real-world application.

Unfortunately, that
C.E. Hart
Audiobook Review

Jesus is Love, and He walked among us on this earth as an example of how to love, empathize, and have compassion for others. By observing His life, we can change our thoughts and views of this world and beyond. We can make our lives better, as well as those around us. We are here to make a difference, and what better way than to emulate Him.

Love Walked Among Us is broken down into 5 parts: Love Shows Compassion, Love Speaks the Truth, Love Depends on God, Love is Energized by Fai
Rose
I received this book courtesy of Christian Audio for the purpose of writing a review.

Narrator Thoughts ~ Once again I was treated to an author read book. It always adds an extra demention to the book when the author can add his or her own touch to the book. I enjoyed hearing this author read his book with emotion and passion. While it wasn't the most perfessional I've heard and at times I felt they could have done a better job of editing. Still I think the soulfulness and beauty of the author r
Jenn
This book met me at the perfect time. After many years of diving into theological apologetics and doctrinal study, I wanted God to teach me how to apply truth and live a life like Jesus. Miller's "Love Walked Among Us" blends a scriptural and humane portrayal of Jesus with the transparency of personal stories of Miller's failures and learnings in his imperfect life of mimicking Love Himself.

This book beckons you into intimacy with the author and Jesus. It disarms you with humor and authenticity
Rick Haggard
Jesus comes to life in this book as a real and very human being. By intertwining stories of his own life, often self effacing, the author draws a clear picture of the Savior as well as a defined path to being more like Him. I'm on my third copy and have gifted at least five. After three years and numerous complete reads, I still refer to it on a nearly daily basis. It will redefine your concept of love.
Jeanie
Love is so missused and misunderstood. Reading the word, you can see how Jesus loved with all that was within him. He looked, he acted, he actually touched lives. Taking the word, personal experiences that can look like ours, Paul Miller paints a beautiful picture of love for us to reflect and apply in our lives with others. He starts with what keeps us from loving. Compassion and judging are two different ways of seeing. (page 48) Judging separates and compassion unites. Our own pride keeps us ...more
The Men's Ministry of Denton Bible Church
Jesus was love personified, love walking among us. Such an example doesn't just happen. How did he do it? And how can we learn to love like him? In this book, we get to know Jesus, to observe his life and his love as they unfold in the gospel narratives. Questions will be asked like: How do you love someone when you get no love in return, only withdrawal or ingratitude? How do you love when you have your own problems? When do you take care of yourself? When you are compassionate, people use you; ...more
Jonathan Markham
Another wonderful book by an author who is not afraid to be direct and vulnerable. It would be difficult to read without having your walk wih Jesus challenged on many levels
Sheri White
I was notified that I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. I never received the book.
Lindsey
I was in a Bible study that lasted over a year and this was our text. I highly recommend this book - it's an easy read with deep theological themes and a very real and relevant representation of who Christ was and is and how we can be more like Him in our daily lives. It attacks the reality of our human nature and understanding as well as our twisted view of what loving like Christ means, but also presents very practical and effective ways to step out of our box and into the reality of seeing an ...more
Riley Sheehan
Good read. Some of the propositions I found more convincing than others, and the organization at times made more sense than others. Plenty of scripture makes this a thoroughly biblical read. Conclusion: Jesus is amazing, this book is good.
Adam Shields
Short Review: I like Paul Miller's writing. It is simple, filled with family stories, uses lots of extended bible quotes to give full context and is focused on spiritual development. This book is about studying Jesus to learn how to live others in our lives better. This would make a good small group discussion book, especially a married small group because so many of the personal examples are based in his marriage.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/love-walked/
Brian
This book is a positive read because I think it will break down some part of the stony residue on the heart of most Christians. It focuses on the ways in which Jesus loved others, what better example for us than the perfect man. I remember choking up many times reading this, I realised that if only I could love as he did, I'd find no time to sin.
Anything about love I find essential reading, even if but a nugget changes my ways for the good I'm grateful. This is one that did.
Martha
I love this book for the purpose for which it was written: introducing Jesus the man. The author set out to introduce Jesus to people who aren't used to churchy language.

I think it is quite successful in this area. The writing is good. It definitely kept me interested...and opened up vistas into the life of Christ that this lifelong christian had never thought of.

You won't be sorry if you read this one. It will stretch you mind and heart!
Jeremy
Started reading this devotionally and it's wonderful. The best practical book on Christian love in practice I've read. Am thinking of having some men's groups in our church read it next year. Miller has a knack for unveiling the meaning of Scripture (especially the gospels) and presenting the personality of Jesus as a model of love. His examples and applications are drawn from and target where we live.
Henry
In this book, Paul Miller, the son of the late Westminster professor Jack Miller, offers us a study of the life of Jesus focused on how He loved people. It is a study at once both arresting and practically helpful. For those of us who are seeking to follow in the steps of Jesus,this book makes a substantial contribution as to how to do that.
Doug Dale
Overall, this is a very good book. There were some "5-star" chapters in this book, but there were some "3-star" ones as well. I did not like this as much as his book on prayer, but there were some powerful illustrations of how Jesus lived out his love that we can learn from living as his followers.
Mark
Miller challenges the reader to lead a life with Jesus, following his example. At the center if this life is love is guided by compassion. Not a weak, feel good sort of compassion, but one that enters into the pain of others, that is willing to speak the truth, even when that is difficult.
Lora
Going through this book with a group of people has been very good, since it forces me to slow down and really process the content. Jesus wasn't just a "nice guy" or a "good person." He was a radical - always doing the unexpected and loving people perfectly that way.
Kathy Carlson
Wow. This book is very humbling. It reveals the loving nature of Christ in a way that is so easy to feel and understand. This book explains how we are to love like Christ, and it is convicting. I need to read this book over and over again.
Adam
I love this book. I think it's bound to be one of those that I find myself returning to over and over for both the challenge and the encouragement that is contained therein.
Heidi
After my second reading of it, this is STILL the best book I've ever read about Jesus. A close second would be Philip Yancey's "The Jesus I Never Knew." Highly recommended.
Bo White
an incredibly practical portrait of Jesus. hugely influential to me and I recommend! I had my staff in St. Louis go through this material for staff development, it's that good.
Jonathan
Sometimes his writing wasn't very clear or easily understood, but the message comes through still. And it was a challenging read, as books of Jesus usually are!
Athalia
As I work through forgiveness and compassion and acceptance in my own life, this account illuminates why and how it is that I am loved and can love others fully.
Lindsey
So excellent. Gives intimite portraits of Jesus from Scripture that help you see how much he really does love us. I got teary towards the end. Highly recommended.
Linda
Jan 07, 2008 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: Dorothy Plantz
A wonderful, fresh look at Jesus. I have had a hard time relating to some of the modern examples, but really enjoy the insights into the person of Christ.
  • Loving the Way Jesus Loves
  • Forever: Living with Eternity in View
  • Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest
  • Can I Have Joy In My Life? (Crucial Questions, #12)
  • The Power of Words and the Wonder of God
  • Basics for Believers: An Exposition of Philippians
  • Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life
  • Extravagant Grace: God's Glory Displayed in Our Weakness
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
  • Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People
  • The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
  • Cross Talk: Where Life and Scripture Meet
  • Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World A Loving Life: In a World of Broken Relationships What Difference Does Prayer Make? [booklet] Born to heal: a biography of Harry Edwards, the spirit healer Entering the Oneness of Jesus: The Love Course, Book 3 + Free Audio Download

“When I think of how Jesus loved people, the word “cherish” comes to mind. When we cherish someone, we combine looking and compassion—we notice and care for that person. We don’t shut him or her out.” 8 likes
“Loving means losing control of our schedule, our money, and our time. When we love we cease to be the master and become a servant.” 7 likes