Start by marking “Morning & Evening, New International Version” as Want to Read:
Morning & Evening, New International Version

Morning & Evening, New International Version

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  5,297 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Make the most of your mornings and evenings with Spurgeon's classic devotional--presented here in your choice of elegant bonded leather bindings and Scripture translations. Enjoy the original edition with Spurgeon's classic prose accompanied by the beautiful language of the King James Version of the Bible. Or select the gently updated edition which combines a contemporary ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Hendrickson Publishers (first published 1866)

To ask other readers questions about Morning & Evening, New International Version, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning & Evening, New International Version

I bought this version for my wife since english is her second language. Spurgeon's original words are obviously to be preferred over "updated" versions when possible, but this was most readable for her. We haven't actually read the entire year of devotions, but we've read a lot of them. Spurgeon's words are encouraging and speak powerfully into the life of the believer. He lived up to the title "Prince of Preacher", and that shines through in his writing! Though I must admit, his exegesis of the ...more
Mike Jorgensen
Some days are brilliant, some leave me scratching my head, most are just ok. Never been a devotional guy but this is as good as anything I've found.
Michael Duncan
Morning and Evening is a fantastic devotional for the heart of every believer. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to begin and end their day with spiritual encouragement and instruction. Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers" delivers his depth and love for Christ.

Rev. Michael Duncan, Author
Shadows: Book of Aleth, Part One
Shadows Book of Aleth, Part One by Michael Duncan
Christine Dattilo
Have read through more or less fit at least the last ten years. Always refreshed, challenged and encouraged.

It's been fun to look at some of my highlights and notes from year to year. Every year, I am captivated by new insights I did not see the year before.

Hope to read through for the next ten years!
This devotional offers short but powerful insights into the Word of God. Especially during those times when it seems like my own connection with the Word is running dry, this has really helped to pick me up and bring me to a place of repentance and restoration to God's grace and the joy of salvation.
Jestine Maribel
Keep it near, add it to your daily reading.

Keep it near, add it to your daily reading. It's part of my devotionals.
This is full of gems!!! You will be enriched.
Through college I read one of these most mornings and some evenings. It really helped keep me focused on what really matters in life. Well written and thought-provoking.
Dennis Thurman
Classic. The updated language only enhances understanding but doesn't diminish Spurgeon's masterful phrasing.
May 13, 2008 Nan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's interested in growing deeper in their faith
This is an excellent devotional that has many nuggets of wisdom inside. It will encourage your heart daily!
Laurel Hicks
This book isn't for everybody, but if you've read quite a bit of the Bible and like beautiful language and thoughts, you might give it a try. Here is the morning reading for December 29 as a sample:

“Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.”
1 Samuel 7:12

The word “hitherto” seems like a hand pointing in the direction of the past. Twenty years or seventy, and yet, “hitherto the Lord hath helped!” Through poverty, through wealth, through sickness, through health, at home, abroad, on the land, on the sea, i
Fylvia Kline
This is an edited version of Spurgeon’s devotions from the 1800′s. A classic loved by scholars and laymen, it’s one of those devotions that can be used over and over again. And how you use it depends on how much personal devotion time you have carved out of the day for yourself.

To get the full Spurgeon effect, your dose for the day would be reading a page-long devotion in the morning, another one in the evening, memorizing one Bible text, and reading a significant portion of the Bible (towards t
Charles Haddon Spurgeon was an English preacher who lived from 1834-1892 and is known for his bold sermons and writings. At our church, we almost think of Spurgeon as an honorary elder because our pastors and teachers value and draw from his works so much. I've had the intention of reading a major work by Spurgeon for years and finally decided this year to go through his Morning and Evening devotionals, and I am finding it a tremendous blessing.

This volume is a collection of short devotionals -
One could never go wrong with Charles Spurgeon, a prolific author and pastor who lived from 1834-1892, "Mornings & Evenings" is a 768, softbound, 5.5 x 8.5, book that opens flat, to help one start each morning, with a personal devotional time.

What I enjoy the most, about reading this book, isn't just the fact about reading the thoughts and encouragement of Mr. Spurgeon, but the encouragement he provided by a choice of either focusing on a passage or doing a quick study in a book of the bible
P is for Polly
Sep 09, 2014 P is for Polly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes old things
Shelves: faith, prayer-books
This book is like time travel with a really great Doctor for the soul. I think this old book I have, much older looking than the 1960 copywriter date came from a Library sale-- a bit of Avalon on earth for book lovers. It has old paper, old font, old words, even the verses are in put in Roman numerals. This book truly saved my life when I really needed it. I felt like I had a friend to speak into my life twice a day. Someone whose vague scripture references I usually got because I'm such a Bibl ...more
I don’t know how you spend your mornings and evenings, but I’m adding Charles Spurgeon to my daily Bible reading and Oswald Chambers morsel.

David Platt’s book, “Radical,” gives several challenges at the end. One of those challenges is to read the Bible through in the coming year. While I have read the Bible through several times, I loved the idea of reading it through this year with the expectancy that God will reveal new things.

I recently received Charles Spurgeon’s devotional book, “Mornings a
Peter Voorhees
Great devotional read for both the morning and the evening. It is a quick and insightful look at scripture through out the year. It is my "go to" when I'm desiring a sweet nugget of inspiration and truth. Highly recommend having this book or available to download as an app to your device.
It is hard for me to express in words how much I like this book. God has used it to carry me through good times and bad, highs and lows. Spurgeon offers great, and -- for those of a more literary bent -- beautifully-written insights. This is one enduring devotional.
A truly wonderful daily devotional. Even if I don't read each day or morning or evening entry whenever I do pick it up to read it always lifts me up , reassures me , confirms , convicts and helps me to grow in my Christian walk.
David F Hines
Always excellent

This devotional never disappoints. It is rich food for the hungry soul. It will challenge and encourage you in your daily walk with God.
Christopher Taylor
Wonderful devotional, a day by day continuing study of the Bible by one of the most gifted and blessed preachers that God has ever placed on this earth.
Spurgeon can squeeze every last drop of Holy Spirit out of a single word of scripture. This daily digest can only be good for the soul.
Nancy Chaddick
I have enjoyed using this book both morning and evening and like this year only in the evening.
Glenn P. Donald
I read this book, mine was a hardcopy, as a daily devotional quite a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a man who lived and preached almost 150 years ago, it is amazing how relevant his daily thoughts can be on the application of Jesus Christ and our faith to our current lives that buzz and flit around at one hundred times the speed of Spurgeon's world. I think that's the neatest thing about Christianity; when it is preached properly, the words (like the scriptures themselves) become t ...more
Carrie Jolly
The best daily devotional I have ever used, and I would recommend it to anyone!
This devotion has been thought-provoking read. I'm still amazed that one verse can produce such deep thoughts, encouragements and rebukes. While I may not agree with everything written, I enjoyed the glimpse of a revered Christian father. I see his heart for the lost, especially those who attended church often, his patience and encouragement for the fearful, the need to live holy and his call to be a witness for Christ.

I would definitely revisit this devotion. Even though it was written almost
Diane Story
Deep insight just like Oswald Chambers!!!!!
Spurgeon have a profound insight in spirituality and he has a very inspirational daily read... One of the best. I read his daily devotion long time ago, but there is a lot that you can pick from his writings. It keeps your faith, passion for Jesus and vision Strong...
Shannon Cooper
I did enjoy this book of daily devotions by Spurgeon, but after reading this I find reading an entire sermon more helpful than little tidbits. Part of the problem could be that I read Morning and Evening like a regular book, rather than day by day. If you're able to discipline yourself in reading it like a devotional than I would suggest getting this book, otherwise I would recommend getting the collection of Spurgeon sermons.
This is a great devotional that challenges you and helps you grow in your walk with the Lord. The only thing that I did not like about these devotionals is that Spurgeon believes Song of Solomon is just a picture of Christ and the church and that it is not about the relationship between a man and a wife. There are multiple devotionals where he spiritualizes that book when he should not. Other than that it was a wonderful devotional!
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Holiness
  • The Bruised Reed
  • ESV Study Bible
  • The Sovereignty of God
  • God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (with the Complete Text of the End for Which God Created the World)
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume
  • Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children
  • The Religious Affections
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92) was England's best-known preacher for most of the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1854, just four years after his conversion, Spurgeon, then only 20, became pastor of London's famed New Park Street Church (formerly pastored by the famous Baptist theologian John Gill). The congregation quickly outgrew their building, moved to Exeter Hall, then to Surrey M ...more
More about Charles Haddon Spurgeon...

“Nothing teaches us about the preciousness of the Creator as much as when we learn the emptiness of everything else.” 220 likes
“If you will tell me when God permits a Christian to lay aside his armour, I will tell you when Satan has left off temptation. Like the old knights in war time, we must sleep with helmet and breastplate buckled on, for the arch-deceiver will seize our first unguarded hour to make us his prey. The Lord keep us watchful in all seasons, and give us a final escape from the jaw of the lion and the paw of the bear.” 28 likes