Start by marking “The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream That Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing” as Want to Read:

"The Vegan Scoop" brings the pleasures of the ice cream parlor into your home with 150 recipes for delicious frozen desserts that are so rich and creamy, they're better than the "real" thing-and contain one-third the calories!
Developed by vegan hipster Wheeler del Torro of Wheeler's Frozen Desserts, these "faux" creams feature 100 percent vegan-certified ingredients, mak
Published June 1st 2009 by Fair Winds Press (MA) (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegan Scoop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegan Scoop

Lauren
Jun 26, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegans with a sweet tooth
Shelves: cooking, veggie
Loved the *ideas* in this book - so many amazing flavor mixtures! - but the processing just didn't jive with my ice cream maker... so, I will use it more for a flavor inspiration book, and then process in my own way (the way described in Veganomicon and using my VitaMix instead of heating the ingredients as described in this book). Each of the ice cream recipes in this book take a number of hours to make - at least three with cooling times. I prefer my method which is MUCH faster. However, I thi ...more
Kelly
Oct 12, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally published on V for Vegan as part of Veganmofo IV; please click though for additional commentary and photos.

WHEELER DEL TORRO'S THE VEGAN SCOOP IS MY FAVORITE COOKBOOK OF ALL TIME. The end. Shortest book review ever.

I kid, I kid - but just about the last part. In all seriousness, The Vegan Scoop really is a personal favorite. I love everything about this cookbook: the gorgeous, glossy pages. The luscious, lovingly-photographed balls of frozen deliciousness. The easy-to
Angeline
Sep 05, 2013 Angeline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
Vegan ice cream and vegan sorbet, what's not to love?

Many of the ice cream recipes in The Vegan Scoop have a soy milk base but the author encourages experimenting with other non-dairy milks such as almond. You will need an ice cream maker, but if you don't have one what a perfect excuse to buy one. Chapters include : Classic with flavors as Vanilla, Toffee, and Cookie Dough; Fruit Flavors with Watermelon Sorbet and Honeydew; Healthy Flavors with Vanilla Chile Pepper, and Peanut Butter Flaxseed;
Laurie
Aug 08, 2013 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't made any of the recipes yet; so I can't comment on the texture and taste of finished ice cream. But I like the author's ideas for flavors. Since I'm more familiar with using coconut milk as a base instead of soy milk plus arrowroot, I might just use the flavor ideas instead of the recipe for the ice cream bases.

UPDATE 9/2013: I have now made a recipe from the book, the one for the Maple Walnut flavor. I have a sweet tooth and I'm not THAT person who says, "Oh, X is so sweet I could onl
Amber Anderson
Mar 18, 2009 Amber Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tasty, favorites
We made the coffee ice cream yesterday and it was fantastic. Soooo much better than So Delicious.We added chocolate shavings and almonds...it stiffened up in the ice cream maker faster than cow's milk ice cream (which we were making only last year-so much has changed!)I love this book so far and look forward to the other recipes! Butter Pecan! New York Irish Cream! Pistachio! Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl! Almond Cookie!
Katey
I've made a few recipes from this book, and while they all tasted great, the consistency and texture are lacking, which may be my cheap ice cream maker or I need a better/different technique, like one reviewer mentioned. Simple recipes, but lots of different flavour combinations.
Pemberley Linden
Jan 09, 2013 Pemberley Linden rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Pretty much all of these recipes are the base with minor adjustments to flavors. Any of the recipes I tried, I didn't really like the taste or texture. Worth looking at if you borrow the book. I also noted a few errors in measurements in recipes.
Heather
Every recipe includes the same 3 ingredients - arrowroot flour, soy creamer, soymilk. This can get really annoying if one can't find a supermarket that carries arrowroot flour and is trying to make ice cream for someone who is allergic to soy.
Phoebe
Jul 17, 2011 Phoebe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting flavor ideas - haven't tried any of them yet. Also, I enjoyed the little factoids in the margins.
Bethany Montez
Jan 02, 2013 Bethany Montez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has my go to chocolate chip cookie recipie. Im not vegan- i got the book for lactose free icre cream- but the cookie recipie is just the right texture i spent many a recipie looking for.
Nadine
Jun 21, 2011 Nadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Good vanilla recipe. Almost every other recipe is a variation on this basic formula, which I suppose is as it should be... Gave plenty of fodder for new flavors, ingredients, and combinations.
Jodi
Jul 30, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly variations on a basic recipe, but the combinations sound great. I've already made two batches of dairy free ice cream, and can't wait to make more!
L.
Oct 27, 2013 L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for those accustomed to dairy alternatives. Not good for those allergic to coconut, which the favorite milk.
Rachael
Jun 23, 2009 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-baking
I just made green tea ice cream. It's probably the best I've ever had, and it was soo much easier than i thought it would be. now to pair it with chocolate covered raspberries <3 this book
Grace
Mar 25, 2009 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan
I don't have an ice cream maker and am too lazy (and not into ice cream enough) to make it manually, so I've only made the waffles from this cookbook - they are delicious.
Rachel Frank
Had a lot of issues with the recipes. Each one I tried had an issue with ingredient amounts or the recipe not working out.
Lê Minh
Aug 09, 2013 Lê Minh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100, 3
Jaciara James
Jan 06, 2012 Jaciara James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh yeah, now we're talking
Kristin V.
Kristin V. rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Haley
Haley rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2011
Quee
Quee rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2013
Ahlam Al
Ahlam Al rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Christopher Plant
Christopher Plant rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Gwynn Raimondi
Gwynn Raimondi rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2010
kyle
kyle rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Luis Paulo
Luis Paulo rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Shulamis
Shulamis rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Jae Bird
Jae Bird rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2014
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
Wheeler del Torro learned to create his delicious, healthy vegan ice cream in Paris, inspired by the great Parisian Berthilion ice cream shop. After perfecting his recipes, del Torro moved back to the States and began selling ice cream out of a vintage 1972 ice cream truck. After working as a private chef and running Wheeler's as a catering business, del Torro opened the first and only all-vegan i ...more
More about Wheeler del Torro...