Start by marking “The Vegan Scoop” as Want to Read:
The Vegan Scoop

The Vegan Scoop

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  607 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"The Vegan Scoop" brings the pleasures of the ice cream parlor into your home with 150 recipes for delicious frozen desserts that are so rich and creamy, they're better than the "real" thing--and contain one-third the calories!
Developed by vegan hipster Wheeler del Torro of Wheeler's Frozen Desserts, these "faux" creams feature 100 percent vegan-certified ingredients, ma
Published June 1st 2009 by Fair Winds Press (MA) (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegan Scoop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegan Scoop

Lauren
Jun 12, 2010 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegans with a sweet tooth
Shelves: cooking, veggie
Loved the *ideas* in this book - so many amazing flavor mixtures! - but the processing just didn't jive with my ice cream maker... so, I will use it more for a flavor inspiration book, and then process in my own way (the way described in Veganomicon and using my VitaMix instead of heating the ingredients as described in this book). Each of the ice cream recipes in this book take a number of hours to make - at least three with cooling times. I prefer my method which is MUCH faster. However, I thi ...more
Kelly
This review was originally published on V for Vegan as part of Veganmofo IV; please click though for additional commentary and photos.

WHEELER DEL TORRO'S THE VEGAN SCOOP IS MY FAVORITE COOKBOOK OF ALL TIME. The end. Shortest book review ever.

I kid, I kid - but just about the last part. In all seriousness, The Vegan Scoop really is a personal favorite. I love everything about this cookbook: the gorgeous, glossy pages. The luscious, lovingly-photographed balls of frozen deliciousness. The easy-to
Angeline
Vegan ice cream and vegan sorbet, what's not to love?

Many of the ice cream recipes in The Vegan Scoop have a soy milk base but the author encourages experimenting with other non-dairy milks such as almond. You will need an ice cream maker, but if you don't have one what a perfect excuse to buy one. Chapters include : Classic with flavors as Vanilla, Toffee, and Cookie Dough; Fruit Flavors with Watermelon Sorbet and Honeydew; Healthy Flavors with Vanilla Chile Pepper, and Peanut Butter Flaxseed;
Laurie B-W
I haven't made any of the recipes yet; so I can't comment on the texture and taste of finished ice cream. But I like the author's ideas for flavors. Since I'm more familiar with using coconut milk as a base instead of soy milk plus arrowroot, I might just use the flavor ideas instead of the recipe for the ice cream bases.

UPDATE 9/2013: I have now made a recipe from the book, the one for the Maple Walnut flavor. I have a sweet tooth and I'm not THAT person who says, "Oh, X is so sweet I could onl
Amber Anderson
We made the coffee ice cream yesterday and it was fantastic. Soooo much better than So Delicious.We added chocolate shavings and almonds...it stiffened up in the ice cream maker faster than cow's milk ice cream (which we were making only last year-so much has changed!)I love this book so far and look forward to the other recipes! Butter Pecan! New York Irish Cream! Pistachio! Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl! Almond Cookie!
Katey
I've made a few recipes from this book, and while they all tasted great, the consistency and texture are lacking, which may be my cheap ice cream maker or I need a better/different technique, like one reviewer mentioned. Simple recipes, but lots of different flavour combinations.
Pemberley Linden
Pretty much all of these recipes are the base with minor adjustments to flavors. Any of the recipes I tried, I didn't really like the taste or texture. Worth looking at if you borrow the book. I also noted a few errors in measurements in recipes.
Heather
Every recipe includes the same 3 ingredients - arrowroot flour, soy creamer, soymilk. This can get really annoying if one can't find a supermarket that carries arrowroot flour and is trying to make ice cream for someone who is allergic to soy.
Rachael
I just made green tea ice cream. It's probably the best I've ever had, and it was soo much easier than i thought it would be. now to pair it with chocolate covered raspberries <3 this book
Lê Minh
Bethany Montez
This book has my go to chocolate chip cookie recipie. Im not vegan- i got the book for lactose free icre cream- but the cookie recipie is just the right texture i spent many a recipie looking for.
Nadine
Good vanilla recipe. Almost every other recipe is a variation on this basic formula, which I suppose is as it should be... Gave plenty of fodder for new flavors, ingredients, and combinations.
Grace
I don't have an ice cream maker and am too lazy (and not into ice cream enough) to make it manually, so I've only made the waffles from this cookbook - they are delicious.
Jodi
Mostly variations on a basic recipe, but the combinations sound great. I've already made two batches of dairy free ice cream, and can't wait to make more!
Rachel Frank
Had a lot of issues with the recipes. Each one I tried had an issue with ingredient amounts or the recipe not working out.
L.
Good for those accustomed to dairy alternatives. Not good for those allergic to coconut, which the favorite milk.
Phoebe
Interesting flavor ideas - haven't tried any of them yet. Also, I enjoyed the little factoids in the margins.
April
I haven't tried many, but enough to know it's awesome! We use our ice cream ball!
Terri
Gonna try a couple of these out next weekend.
Jaciara James
oh yeah, now we're talking
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Iyanna Meyers
Iyanna Meyers marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Nonenone
Nonenone marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
Wheeler del Torro learned to create his delicious, healthy vegan ice cream in Paris, inspired by the great Parisian Berthilion ice cream shop. After perfecting his recipes, del Torro moved back to the States and began selling ice cream out of a vintage 1972 ice cream truck. After working as a private chef and running Wheeler's as a catering business, del Torro opened the first and only all-vegan i ...more
More about Wheeler del Torro...
Growing Your Own Doggie Daycare: A Start-Up and Operational Guide for Success