Start by marking “Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company, #5)” as Want to Read:
Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company, #5)

Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company #5)

Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Angel Condemned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Condemned

Before I Fall by Lauren OliverClarity by Kim HarringtonShiver by Maggie StiefvaterDivergent by Veronica RothA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Books On My To-Read List
82nd out of 234 books — 24 voters
Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieSecondhand Spirits by Juliet BlackwellThe Trouble With Magic by Madelyn AltWhat's a Ghoul to Do? by Victoria LaurieIt Takes a Witch by Heather Blake
Paranormal Cozy Mysteries
278th out of 289 books — 343 voters

More lists with this book...

Dionne Thomas
Nov 14, 2016 Dionne Thomas rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorites...the story was a little hard to follow and vague. Also didn't like how the story suddenly wrapped up the last two chapters of the book instead of giving the reader "time to process" what was going on with the characters.
Kimberly
Apr 24, 2012 Kimberly rated it liked it
My rating 3.5 See more of this review and others on my blog:Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer

Angel Condemned by Mary Stanton is the fifth in a cozy paranormal mystery series called Beaufort and Company. In this installment we have an ancient artifact that may be a key to one of the gates of hell, a murder and a case that can be linked back to Brianna’s mother Leah. This suspenseful novel was delightful and I loved re-visiting all the unique and colorful characters.

Brianna Winston-Beaufort has
Nora-adrienne
Dec 09, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-cozy
Angel Condemned
By: Mary Stanton
Copyright November 2011
Publisher Berkeley Prime Crime

Reluctantly agreeing to defend museum curator Prosper White, her Aunt Cissy’s fiancé in a case of fraud, Bree hopes to settle the matter out of court. When Prosper is murdered on the steps of the Frazier Museum, Bree discovers that Aunt Cissy is the only one who found her fiancé engaging.
Cissy is arrested for the crime, and to clear her aunt’s name, Bree must solve the mystery of the Cross of Justinian, an artif
Kristen
I was a little disappointed with the last book in this series, but wanted to give it one more try, because I love the creativity of the premise, and the characters were really fun to read about. This book brought me back to loving the series!

Bree is still recovering - emotionally, if not physically - from the accident in which her leg was broken. She's also still trying to figure out how to balance her role as a celestial advocate representing damned souls who want to appeal their sentences, wit
C.
Feb 08, 2014 C. rated it liked it
‘Beaufort & Company’ was in drought of etherealness and information; its development sluggish. “Angel’s Condemned” is more like it! I came closest to bestowing four stars. For once a case directly leads to Heavenly issues: a cataclysmic encounter and at very long last; a surreal vista beyond our plane. It’s awe-inspiring but occurs with brevity. When some authors, like Susan Wittig Albert, reach the crux of much-touted subject matter and it can be revved up no further; they grow shy about th ...more
Marlyn
Dec 28, 2011 Marlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Brianna Winston-Beaufort has two law practices. The "temporal" office, the one that pays the bills, is located in an office building on Savannah's Bay Street. The celestial office is located in a house on Angelus Street, and can only be found by Bree and the Company who work there with her, and perhaps the occasional client.

The staff and clients of the Angelus office are not living humans. The staff are what is commonly known as angels, while the clients are the souls of the dead who believe the
Once Upon a Twilight
Nov 23, 2011 Once Upon a Twilight rated it really liked it
The 5th Novel in the series of Beaufort & Co. mystery series, readable as a standalone but if the previous ones are read it will bring greater knowledge of the characters.

Brianna Winston-Beaufort (Bree) an attorney that held two offices, one for mortals and one for the celestial court which was inherited from her family predecessor down to her.

On this installment, she finds herself bound to represent her aunt and her soon to be husband, which the whole family feels is using her, in a suit fo
Marsha
Dec 20, 2011 Marsha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult lovers of Paranormal Mysteries
If you enjoy a good mystery with a paranormal edge, Mary Stanton’s the Beaufort & Company mysteries are the books to read. Angel Condemned is a tasty little morsel giving the reader a little more insight into the personal life of Attorney to the Dead, Bree Beaufort and her family. In this episode, Bree’s Aunt Cissy is engaged to Proper White, an art dealer. Prosper is being sued and Cissy will not abide anyone other than Bree handling his case. However, Prosper has many secrets that will ...more
Fred
Nov 13, 2011 Fred rated it really liked it
Angel"s Condemned is the fifth book in A Beaufort and Company Mystery series.

Brianna (Bree) Winston-Beaufort, against her better judgment agrees to represent her Aunt Cissy's future husband, Prosper White, in a fraud case. White has been accused of fraudulently obtaining a magazine that he has on display in the Frazier Museum. The person bringing the suit is Allard Chambers. White was responsible for Chamber losing his, and also his wife's, professor's jobs.

As White is about to begin a speech on
Susan Ferguson
Sep 01, 2012 Susan Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, fantasy, 2012
I love this series of books - and they just keep getting better.
In this one, Bree Winston-Beaufort's aunt Cissy has become involved with a man none of the family like or approve of. Prosper White is a small-time museum operator who has charmed Cissy and gets her to make out a will in his favor as he makes out his in her favor. There is a big stir when Dr Allard Chambers, a former archeologist, files suit claiming a magazine he is using for his exhibit was improperly obtained. Bree reluctantly ag
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 06, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
Bree Winston-Beaufort is a busy lawyer. Bree has two practices and in this book they merge. The Bay Street office is for Temporals and civil law. Bree has only one assistant, EB, and she is clever beyond her learning. Bree needs this firm to pay the bills and support her while she runs the other office on Angelus Street pro bono, but with the aid of Angels. Angelus Street office is Bree's firm for trying cases by the Celestial Court.

Bree's adoptive Auntie, Cissy's Fiance is Prosper White, and he
Faithann
Jul 16, 2012 Faithann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Faithann by: Karen Spor
Shelves: 2012
This was by far the best one in the series. Bree has done everything in her power to keep her family safely in the dark about what she does at the Angelus Street office, but with this newest case, that won't be so easy. Cissy is engaged, and when her fiance Prosper White is served papers who does Cissy run to? Only the BEST lawyer in Sanannah, her niece Brianna Winston-Beaufort. Bree really doesn't want to take on this case, but can't turn it down. While trying to get background into Prosper and ...more
Tyrannosaurus regina
When I saw this book in my unread file I couldn't remember why I'd stopped after the previous book in the series. After all, there was just one book left, and I didn't dislike them, even if I thought they were flawed. I remembered soon after that the previous book had left a bad taste in my mouth, but despite the similar rating I actually enjoyed this one more. It tied its threads together better and the actions necessary to drive the plot didn't feel as forced. But what it did was have way too ...more
Amanda Meggs
Nov 07, 2013 Amanda Meggs rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Angel Condemned was definitely an improvement on the previous book in the series. I left quite a while before reading this one as I found that Bree had become quite annoying. She never ate, was always tired, looked terrible, etc. but still looked beautiful... I was beginning to think that perhaps the author might have n eating disorder! However, in this book Bree eats several times and looks much healthier. There are still a lot of references to her looks which are a bit unnecessary as it's book ...more
Dharia Scarab
Jul 27, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
❂ Jennifer
Nov 13, 2011 ❂ Jennifer rated it really liked it
This series started out likeable, but annoying because the main character was kept in the dark and it didn't seem to occur to her to demand answers about her fate. But that has largely been taken care of in each of the subsequent books and this has become one of my favourite series. This book had a great plot, which I found really interesting, and it was intricate enough that I didn't guess the murderer until I was supposed to. I really hope Ms. Stanton continues with this series, I've come to ...more
Al
Apr 12, 2013 Al rated it really liked it

Representing her Aunt Cissy's fiancé, museum curator Prosper White, in a case of fraud, attorney and celestial advocate Brianna Winston- Beaufort hopes to settle the matter out of court. But when Prosper is murdered and Cissy's arrested for the crime, Bree will have to solve the mystery of the Cross of Justinian-an artifact of interest in both Prosper's lawsuit and Bree's celestial case-to clear her aunt's name...

Rebecca
Aug 21, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2012, won
I really enjoyed this mystery with a paranormal twist. Despite not having read the previous 4 books in the series (I won a copy of the book from the blog The Qwillery), I was easily able to follow along with the secondary characters, and I liked how the mystery played out. I would have liked a bit more information about the resolution of the case (plans are set in motion and the assumption is that they will be approved?), but otherwise I felt this was a solid mystery.
Lindig
Sep 25, 2012 Lindig rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Mildly interesting. What she does get really right is Southern dialogue and cadence. The temporal and celestial split in the heroine's law practice is probably handled as well as could be, though it's obvious that the celestial is given more time and weight. At least it isn't handled with a surfeit of piety
Lisa
Aug 24, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The world Mary Stanton created here has blossomed fully with this last volume. I find myself wondering what is happening to each character as the books evolves. When tragedy befalls one character you feel for that character and Bree the protagonist. I am definitely waiting for the next volume with anticipation.
Heather
Nov 27, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of this series
I'm getting a little tired of Mary Stanton taking food away from Bree. Every chapter, they go to a restaurant and then something happens before they get to eat. Or someone offers her food and she gets distracted. Et cetera.

On the other hand, interesting twists and turns with interconnected characters.
Denise
Nov 14, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Stanton has created a real winner with her Beaufort & Co. series! Brianna Winston-Beaufort is a lawyer, in both the mortal world as well as the litigious temporal world between Heaven and Hell. With each progressive book in the series the characters become more endearing, and the stories more intriguing. I absolutely love them! Great job Mary!!!!
Mary
Nov 07, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Loved this newest entry in the Beaufort & Company mystery series. Bree is once again working on both celestial and temporal cases. This time they are connected by an ancient artifact and someone special. A good mystery and more details on the celestial hierarchy. A bittersweet ending leaves the reader wanting more.
Aileen Beyer
May 30, 2013 Aileen Beyer rated it it was amazing
Kept me guessing. There was a bit of background info that came out in bits and pieces might help to read the series in order or at least the first one first. I like the vibe of the book gives murder a different view so to speak.
Becky
Jan 21, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
I really like this series, because of the dual practice Bree has and the cast of characters. If you enjoyed TV shows like Touched By An Angel, this series should appeal to you. I hope Mary Stanton will write several more books for this series.
Nichole Bennett
Feb 06, 2012 Nichole Bennett rated it it was amazing
Likes: Easy read. Paranormal without vampires or werewolves

Dislikes: Got a little confusing in some parts, but it all tied together nicely in the end.

Read my entire review (with spoilers!) at my blog.
Kristin
Dec 13, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
I'm getting a little tired of series books lately. I haven't read a stand alone in quite a while. This was ok, it didn't have a lot of the previous characters in it. I'm sure I'll grab the next one.
Kasey Rawlings
Feb 17, 2016 Kasey Rawlings rated it really liked it
Did her editor quit before this book needed to be edited?! There are a lot of bothersome mistakes, including complete character name changes for no reason. Other than that, (which obviously really bugged me) the story was great and the ending was perfect.
Sandy
Jan 28, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Andersen
Nov 18, 2011 Jessica Andersen rated it really liked it
I really like this series. We are finding more and more out about Bree and how the Celestial Sphere works. I hope there is more to come in this series!
  • A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • A Haunting Dream (A Missing Pieces Mystery #4)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin #7)
  • To Sketch a Thief (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #2)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
  • Murder On The House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #17)
  • Let Them Eat Stake (Vampire Chef, #2)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub
More about Mary Stanton...

Beaufort & Company (5 books)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company, #2)
  • Avenging Angels (Beaufort & Company, #3)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)