Start by marking “Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #5)

Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company Mystery #5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Angel Condemned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Condemned

C.
‘Beaufort & Company’ was in drought of etherealness and information; its development sluggish. “Angel’s Condemned” is more like it! I came closest to bestowing four stars. For once a case directly leads to Heavenly issues: a cataclysmic encounter and at very long last; a surreal vista beyond our plane. It’s awe-inspiring but occurs with brevity. When some authors, like Susan Wittig Albert, reach the crux of much-touted subject matter and it can be revved up no further; they grow shy about th ...more
Marsha
Dec 20, 2011 Marsha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult lovers of Paranormal Mysteries
If you enjoy a good mystery with a paranormal edge, Mary Stanton’s the Beaufort & Company mysteries are the books to read. Angel Condemned is a tasty little morsel giving the reader a little more insight into the personal life of Attorney to the Dead, Bree Beaufort and her family. In this episode, Bree’s Aunt Cissy is engaged to Proper White, an art dealer. Prosper is being sued and Cissy will not abide anyone other than Bree handling his case. However, Prosper has many secrets that will soo ...more
Fred
Angel"s Condemned is the fifth book in A Beaufort and Company Mystery series.

Brianna (Bree) Winston-Beaufort, against her better judgment agrees to represent her Aunt Cissy's future husband, Prosper White, in a fraud case. White has been accused of fraudulently obtaining a magazine that he has on display in the Frazier Museum. The person bringing the suit is Allard Chambers. White was responsible for Chamber losing his, and also his wife's, professor's jobs.

As White is about to begin a speech on
Nora-adrienne
Angel Condemned
By: Mary Stanton
Copyright November 2011
Publisher Berkeley Prime Crime

Reluctantly agreeing to defend museum curator Prosper White, her Aunt Cissy’s fiancé in a case of fraud, Bree hopes to settle the matter out of court. When Prosper is murdered on the steps of the Frazier Museum, Bree discovers that Aunt Cissy is the only one who found her fiancé engaging.
Cissy is arrested for the crime, and to clear her aunt’s name, Bree must solve the mystery of the Cross of Justinian, an artif
Susan Ferguson
I love this series of books - and they just keep getting better.
In this one, Bree Winston-Beaufort's aunt Cissy has become involved with a man none of the family like or approve of. Prosper White is a small-time museum operator who has charmed Cissy and gets her to make out a will in his favor as he makes out his in her favor. There is a big stir when Dr Allard Chambers, a former archeologist, files suit claiming a magazine he is using for his exhibit was improperly obtained. Bree reluctantly ag
Once Upon
The 5th Novel in the series of Beaufort & Co. mystery series, readable as a standalone but if the previous ones are read it will bring greater knowledge of the characters.

Brianna Winston-Beaufort (Bree) an attorney that held two offices, one for mortals and one for the celestial court which was inherited from her family predecessor down to her.

On this installment, she finds herself bound to represent her aunt and her soon to be husband, which the whole family feels is using her, in a suit fo
Marlyn
Brianna Winston-Beaufort has two law practices. The "temporal" office, the one that pays the bills, is located in an office building on Savannah's Bay Street. The celestial office is located in a house on Angelus Street, and can only be found by Bree and the Company who work there with her, and perhaps the occasional client.

The staff and clients of the Angelus office are not living humans. The staff are what is commonly known as angels, while the clients are the souls of the dead who believe the
Faithann
Jul 16, 2012 Faithann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Faithann by: Karen Spor
Shelves: 2012
This was by far the best one in the series. Bree has done everything in her power to keep her family safely in the dark about what she does at the Angelus Street office, but with this newest case, that won't be so easy. Cissy is engaged, and when her fiance Prosper White is served papers who does Cissy run to? Only the BEST lawyer in Sanannah, her niece Brianna Winston-Beaufort. Bree really doesn't want to take on this case, but can't turn it down. While trying to get background into Prosper and ...more
Kristen
I was a little disappointed with the last book in this series, but wanted to give it one more try, because I love the creativity of the premise, and the characters were really fun to read about. This book brought me back to loving the series!

Bree is still recovering - emotionally, if not physically - from the accident in which her leg was broken. She's also still trying to figure out how to balance her role as a celestial advocate representing damned souls who want to appeal their sentences, wit
Kimba
My rating 3.5 See more of this review and others on my blog:Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer

Angel Condemned by Mary Stanton is the fifth in a cozy paranormal mystery series called Beaufort and Company. In this installment we have an ancient artifact that may be a key to one of the gates of hell, a murder and a case that can be linked back to Brianna’s mother Leah. This suspenseful novel was delightful and I loved re-visiting all the unique and colorful characters.

Brianna Winston-Beaufort has
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Bree Winston-Beaufort is a busy lawyer. Bree has two practices and in this book they merge. The Bay Street office is for Temporals and civil law. Bree has only one assistant, EB, and she is clever beyond her learning. Bree needs this firm to pay the bills and support her while she runs the other office on Angelus Street pro bono, but with the aid of Angels. Angelus Street office is Bree's firm for trying cases by the Celestial Court.

Bree's adoptive Auntie, Cissy's Fiance is Prosper White, and he
Amanda Meggs
Angel Condemned was definitely an improvement on the previous book in the series. I left quite a while before reading this one as I found that Bree had become quite annoying. She never ate, was always tired, looked terrible, etc. but still looked beautiful... I was beginning to think that perhaps the author might have n eating disorder! However, in this book Bree eats several times and looks much healthier. There are still a lot of references to her looks which are a bit unnecessary as it's book ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Becky
I really like this series, because of the dual practice Bree has and the cast of characters. If you enjoyed TV shows like Touched By An Angel, this series should appeal to you. I hope Mary Stanton will write several more books for this series.
Donelle
In my opinion the best one yet. Left me really wanting to know more. And see more of Bree unfolding.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
This series started out likeable, but annoying because the main character was kept in the dark and it didn't seem to occur to her to demand answers about her fate. But that has largely been taken care of in each of the subsequent books and this has become one of my favourite series. This book had a great plot, which I found really interesting, and it was intricate enough that I didn't guess the murderer until I was supposed to. I really hope Ms. Stanton continues with this series, I've come to r ...more
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this mystery with a paranormal twist. Despite not having read the previous 4 books in the series (I won a copy of the book from the blog The Qwillery), I was easily able to follow along with the secondary characters, and I liked how the mystery played out. I would have liked a bit more information about the resolution of the case (plans are set in motion and the assumption is that they will be approved?), but otherwise I felt this was a solid mystery.
Al

Representing her Aunt Cissy's fiancé, museum curator Prosper White, in a case of fraud, attorney and celestial advocate Brianna Winston- Beaufort hopes to settle the matter out of court. But when Prosper is murdered and Cissy's arrested for the crime, Bree will have to solve the mystery of the Cross of Justinian-an artifact of interest in both Prosper's lawsuit and Bree's celestial case-to clear her aunt's name...

Denise
Mary Stanton has created a real winner with her Beaufort & Co. series! Brianna Winston-Beaufort is a lawyer, in both the mortal world as well as the litigious temporal world between Heaven and Hell. With each progressive book in the series the characters become more endearing, and the stories more intriguing. I absolutely love them! Great job Mary!!!!
Mary
Loved this newest entry in the Beaufort & Company mystery series. Bree is once again working on both celestial and temporal cases. This time they are connected by an ancient artifact and someone special. A good mystery and more details on the celestial hierarchy. A bittersweet ending leaves the reader wanting more.
Lisa
The world Mary Stanton created here has blossomed fully with this last volume. I find myself wondering what is happening to each character as the books evolves. When tragedy befalls one character you feel for that character and Bree the protagonist. I am definitely waiting for the next volume with anticipation.
Heather
Nov 27, 2014 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of this series
I'm getting a little tired of Mary Stanton taking food away from Bree. Every chapter, they go to a restaurant and then something happens before they get to eat. Or someone offers her food and she gets distracted. Et cetera.

On the other hand, interesting twists and turns with interconnected characters.
Lindig
Mildly interesting. What she does get really right is Southern dialogue and cadence. The temporal and celestial split in the heroine's law practice is probably handled as well as could be, though it's obvious that the celestial is given more time and weight. At least it isn't handled with a surfeit of piety
Nichole Bennett
Likes: Easy read. Paranormal without vampires or werewolves

Dislikes: Got a little confusing in some parts, but it all tied together nicely in the end.

Read my entire review (with spoilers!) at my blog.
Aileen Beyer
Kept me guessing. There was a bit of background info that came out in bits and pieces might help to read the series in order or at least the first one first. I like the vibe of the book gives murder a different view so to speak.
Sandy
Kristin
I'm getting a little tired of series books lately. I haven't read a stand alone in quite a while. This was ok, it didn't have a lot of the previous characters in it. I'm sure I'll grab the next one.
Carol
This series really makes me want to visit Savannah, but I doubt that I would be able to locate the infamous cemetery and the mysterious office. Oh well, some of the other locations are tangible.
Elizabeth
This is such an unusual series. It captured me from the first book through the current one. The association between humans and angels is fascinating to me and I'm looking forward to the next book.
Christine
Another great outing by Mary Stanton. Highly recommend the Beaufort & Company Mysteries. Start with the first book and you will be hooked and read on through them all--highly addictive!
  • Let Them Eat Stake (Vampire Chef, #2)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • A Haunting Dream (A Missing Pieces Mystery #4)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • To Sketch a Thief (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #2)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #17)
  • A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)
  • A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin #7)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub
More about Mary Stanton...
The Road to Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #1) Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2) Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #1) Valley Of Fear (Unicorns Of Balinor, #3) By Fire, By Moonlight (Unicorns Of Balinor, #4)