A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How A U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God's Presence Amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  35 reviews
On April 10th, 2003, the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, faced with the task of seizing the presidential palace in downtown Baghdad, ran headlong into what Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North called, "the worst day of fighting for U.S. Marines." Hiding in buildings and mosques, wearing civilian clothes, and spread out for over a mile, Saddam Hussein's militants rained down...more
Published March 29th 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published March 30th 2004)

Rick
I have a close friend who has a son (Josh) who recommended this book to me. Josh took 2 tours in Iraq and told me that this book depicts the war in Iraq very accurately. Wow! What a great book. It is amazing what God did in spite of the horrors of war.. A table in His presence.. A blessing to read. Thank you to all those who protect our freedom. Thank you for all you who protect my freedom. May God bless you and your families!
Margaret
My father gave me this book to read and I'm so glad he did! Normally, this wouldn't be the type of book I would read, but it was really good - very inspirational. Chaplain Cash tells stories of those in harm's way being saved (in more ways than one) by the awesome presence of God. The first couple of chapters were a little long for me, but the remainder of the book keep me interested to the very end.
Reni Karimpineth
Amazing book! I picked it up after I heard news of my close friend being called into Iraq. I worried for him, seeing all the horror in the news with the war. This book encouraged me and really showed mr that no matter what God is always in control. I'm blessed to have my friend come home from Iraq, knowing God kept him!
Mark Weaver
Our God is good, great book to renew your faith in God.
Peregrine 12
Aug 09, 2013 Peregrine 12 rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Readers who want to combine US religious views with the Iraq war invasion
Shelves: history
It was okay, but not great. As a reader, I would've liked to read more story and less eulogy, less religion. The miracle the men experienced was truly incredible; I wish it, and the discussion of the vagaries of war, had been more center-stage in the book rather than a conclusion to 200 pp of other stuff.

The book is written to describe a group of Marines who passed through explosions, etc, that easily should have killed everyone, yet no one was seriously injured. Once arriving at this part, I fe...more
Debbie
I read this book because it was recommended to me by a dear friend and the person who baptized me, the author's father-in-law. I saw a great deal of influence of his saintly father-in-law in these pages.

This book tells the true story of the first Marine Battalion in Iraq, and their spiritual as well as military struggle there. LT. Cash, who is currently the President's chaplain at Camp David, is a man of true Christian faith, expressed as a Baptist Navy chaplain, but open to the ideas of a litur...more
Joe
Fantastic account of the men who serve our country and one in particular that God used to bring the gospel to soldiers in the middle of a war. The clear teaching of scripture is that God uses circumstances for His own ends and glory; sometimes God chooses to save men from the worst that a fallen world can throw at us, and sometimes God saves us through the worst that can come our way. This book gives a very real account of war that brought both hardship and miraculous deliverance, which is just...more
Jerome
Some amazing stories of how a Marine Battalion experienced God's presence during the war in Iraq, and some interesting insights on being a chaplain in the Marines.
Unfortunately, Cash doesn't seem to know much about war and dumbs down lots of the military strategy, tactics,jargon, and weapons systems for the reader, which I see as evidence that today's Christians are a little too comfortable in their isolationist mentality and don't bother to inform themselves about that kind of stuff. Probably t...more
Heather
Dec 27, 2007 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: VA staff; people who want an inside picture of combat in Iraq
Shelves: adult
This book was WAY to Christian for my taste - it really annoys me when evangelical Christians think they have the corner on spirituality. I did enjoy the broad idea, though, that spirituality can be found, and is helpful, in life-threatening situations. Mostly, though, the value that I found in this book was simply in learning more about what it's actually like--or, at least what it was like for one battalion--to be combat in Iraq. For that reason, I highly recommended this to other VA staff and...more
Debbie
A truly moving book. The book starts its descriptions as the Marines are in Kuwait, soon to get the word to move into Iraq. It paints a portrait of the life of a soldier as they go into combat--the worries, what was faced in battle, etc. All throughout the author tells how prayers were answered in astounding ways. The last two chapters had me in tears--first, because surviving that last push seemed impossible, second, because God gave them His protection in such amazing ways.
Jo
Quoting from the back of the book, "Serving as a chaplain to the U.S. Marines, Lieutenant Carey Cash had witnessed the miracles that began in the desert of northern Kuwait and found their culmination in one of the fiercest battles of Operation Iraqi Freedom. With vivid detail and gripping emotion, Lt. Cash gives a firsthand account of this amazing story -- how the men of an entire battalion found God in the presence of their enemies." Truly amazing stories we don't hear on the news.
Dana
A very honest, insightful, first hand account of the emotional rollercoaster of war through the eyes and heart of an army chaplain. It so delicately reveals the difficult task that a service chaplain has ministering to our service personnel during such difficult situations, all the while struggling with his own emotions. Lt. Cash breathes freshair to the reader's soul describing how God entered and re-entered non-believers' and believers' lives through these tough times.
Tiffany Elgan
I'm sorry- but it was a bit too much southern baptist preachy for me. I only read it because it was a Christmas present. I actually read the first half and skimmed the second half. Some of the stories are quite miraculous and I liked that he attributed these instances to God. And I appreciate the hard work of a chaplain. But I don't like scripture quotes from new-age bibles and I suppose this was something that especially bothered me. I wish I had liked it...
Megan
I enjoyed this book because it showed the realities of spirituality in the midst of war. If you enjoy military history this book will be for you. However, if you do not normally read military history it can seem dry and repetative at times. The author really enjoyed the use of foreshaddowing and, in my opinion, overused it. I would recommend this book because it addresses a unique topic, but it may not be the most engaging book you read this year.
Andrew
This book is written by a Chaplain in the Marine Corps about and during his time with his troops in the invasion of Iraq. I found the historical breakdown of the infantry's invasion into Iraq more interesting than the religious aspect. However, there were many poignant and emotional stories about God's presence in the lives of the Marines during the war. Overall a good book in both aspects.
Mandi
Wow! Incredible account of the miraculous and obvious hand of God protecting our military at the beginning of the war in Iraq! This book is loaded with the retelling of countless miracles that will have you praising God and getting on your knees in prayer for our military. Highly recommended!
Nicole
There have been several books that have come out about the war in Iraq. This one has a different approach. It is filled with heart wrenching accounts of battlefield casualties and experiences while at the same time allows glimmers of hope to illuminate the faith that carried the author through.
Hannah
An amazing story of God's work in the deserts of Iraq, A Table in the Presence helped me understand many things I had not previously and gave me awe for our awesome God. It is a thought-provoking, touching story which gave me a wonderful glimpse into the lives of these soldiers.
Nina Gayheart
Very eye opening of what our heroes see and feel especially their spiritual journey knowing that the bullet that just pierced their helmet miraculously missed the target by just centimeters!
Brad Lewis
Amazing first hand account from a US Marine Corps Chaplain of Gods presence as our troops entered into Iraq. It's amazing to see God working amidst such a harsh environment.
Angela
Everyone needs to read this book. I challenge anyone to read this book and NOT come away believing in God. It puts you in the war in Iraq. Very powerful
Diane
I really liked this book. It made the war very real to me; what a sacrifice our troops are making, and how God is in it for them. Definitely would recommend.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: nesto
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
It took me a while to read...but it was very interesting. I felt like I got a glimpse into the life of servicemen during times of war. A lot to process...
Matthew
this book makes me thankful for all our men and women in the armed forces and especially the chaplains for the special role they play in our military.
Al
Mar 03, 2011 Al rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Marilei
I love this book (even though I'm not a Marine) because God is clearly at work, and yes, he's on our side, as long as we don't worship false gods.
David
An amazing book filled with accounts of God supernatrually protecting our soldiers during the beginning part of the war in Iraq. Amazing!
Joel
As best as I can remember it was a very candid account of the Marine invasion of Iraq from the eyes of a chaplain. Pretty amazing really.
Rosie
Excellent book when your faith is being challenged. These examples reinforce to me that through prayer I am powerful just where I am.
Colleen
May 14, 2010 Colleen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A Gift from Barb Tompkins at the Readers are Leaders luncheon... packed it away for Egypt and looking forward to reading it soon!
Mathias Seiwert
Gripping account of a chaplain’s friendship with Jesus and service to soldiers in the midst of a military war-zone.
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • Paradise General: Riding the Surge at a Combat Hospital in Iraq
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty
  • Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq
  • I'm Staying With My Boys...: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • Sergeant Rex: The Unbreakable Bond Between a Marine and His Military Working Dog
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Never Surrender: A Soldier's Journey to the Crossroads of Faith and Freedom
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
  • The Iraq War: The Military Offensive, from Victory in 21 Days to the Insurgent Aftermath
  • Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone