Start by marking “Josh Howard's Dead at 17: The Complete First Series” as Want to Read:
Josh Howard's Dead at 17: The Complete First Series

Josh Howard's Dead at 17: The Complete First Series

Red cover w/ sillouette of female in white. Smaller format
Published January 1st 2006 by Viper Comics

To ask other readers questions about Josh Howard's Dead at 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josh Howard's Dead at 17

Andy
My brother recently got a bunch of comics and trades given to him (for free, lucky bugger) and this was one of them. Rather Buffyesque in nature it tells the story of Nara who (no spoiler given the title) dies and then comes back to kick zombie ass. Roughly. The story is no great surprise, while competent it fails to shine. The art though is rather nice as a mange hybrid, all crisp lines and sexy poses and splash pages.

The old comic book amusement is still prevalent though - they can show a 17
Rob
Dec 13, 2010 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was drawn into this series after reading a few Hack/Slash issues. I liked the art style and it looked like a cartoon version of Buffy, sort of, which I guess was the appeal. Unfortunately, I think I'm above the age range of the intended audience, and it didn't do anything fresh for the genre. But it was kind of fun, anyway.
Noah Soudrette
While the story here is somewhat middling and comes across as a generic blend of Buffy, Lovecraft, and the X-Files for Christ, the real draw, and the thing that makes this worth checking out is Josh Howard's wonderful artwork. Usually art doesn't draw me in like this, but Howard's art is very addictive.
Brandice
Dec 09, 2010 Brandice rated it it was ok
Don't think I'm going to continue this series, but the first several issues were entertaining. It's just a little bland and the characters all have a very similar look to them that makes it confusing to tell them apart at times.
Deviancy
Apr 22, 2008 Deviancy rated it liked it
The complete first series tells the story of Nara. Poor Nara is destined to fight off an evil demonic army and still make time to spend with her friends. There's a strong Buffy influence in this story, but the metaphors aren't present. I like metaphors.. dammit.
Michael Hawk
Jan 08, 2008 Michael Hawk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Dead @ 17 is the title that jumped my ass back into comic books. Howard's art is insanely hot and the horror/mythical creature storylines are a fun read. Highest recommendation.
Lance Ferguson
Aug 08, 2016 Lance Ferguson rated it liked it
I liked it, the authors notes at the end helped me appreciate it more. I am interested to see how the story developed from the end of this book and how the author develops the themes he discussed.
Jc
Nov 13, 2008 Jc rated it it was ok
Into every generation, a slayer is born... oops! wrong series! An interesting premise, but a bit too long-winded. The artwork was pretty good - had that modern yet retro feel that I like.
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2013
Hannah Givens
Dec 12, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Derivative, but well-written with attractive art.
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2009
Harriet Fox
Harriet Fox rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Ves
Ves rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Samantha Walters
Samantha Walters rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Billy
Billy rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
GP
GP rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Jenseits
Jenseits rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
C Pure
C Pure rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Edwardo
Edwardo rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Scotty
Scotty rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Baal Of
Baal Of rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2011
Sarah White
Sarah White rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Doyle
Doyle rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2007
André
André rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2009