Start by marking “A Heart Ablaze: Igniting a Passion for God” as Want to Read:
A Heart Ablaze: Igniting a Passion for God

A Heart Ablaze: Igniting a Passion for God

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  20 reviews
God delivered Israel from Egyptian bondage to captivate them for Himself. In the arid wilderness He planned to reveal His nature and ways to them, but they drew back. How different are we today? Many confess the Lordship of Jesus and acknowledge His saving power, yet like Israel, they've drawn back. Rather than pursuing His heart they have cleaved to this world's form of w ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Heart Ablaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart Ablaze

Jonathan Brooker
I've always enjoyed studying into how much the modern church can behave like the Israelites in the Exodus. It seems that whenever a new author takes to it you seem to see a new and true aspect of the similarities that you hadn't seen before. That's the case again here with this book which focuses heavily on the sense that Moses desired the glory of God while the Israelites were more interested in the goods of God.

Deeply challenged, I enjoyed (not sure that's exactly the right word for it) the w
Guang Tse
A book that doesn't make you happy when you read it, which is why I give it 4 stars. But a book that must be read by anyone who claims to be Christian.. Sobering and powerful message about what it means to lay down everything for Christ, to be consumed by His refining fire.
John Dobbs
There were some really good things about this book. It is the first book by Mr. Bevere I have read, and was unfamiliar with him, though he has several published books and is evidently well known in some circles. What I did particularly like were the comparisons between Moses, the Children of Israel, and the contemporary church. I think he drew some very distinct and helpful observations in that, throughout the book. I liked that the book has a prophetic flavor, pinpointing the need for repentanc ...more
Chandra Boulden
An ALright book, kinda drug on towards the second half. Still was able to glean a couple of good ideas, overall very conservative in his beliefs. Interesting discussion about Aaron vs Moses and why one continued to become more powerful and the dwindled out. Also how the Israelites were affected by this.
wonderful - so convicting and encouraging. Lord ignite a fire in us all that burns so brightly the whole world is drawn to your manifested Glory.
Stephen Andrew
Bevere has a clear passion for God, specifically in regards to holiness. This book is challenging throughout, calling people to take sin seriously. In many ways it is a call not to sin that grace may abound, to delight in God and the things of God, and to pursue Him wholeheartedly. I learned a lot from this book. I did not agree with everything John said, particularly in regards to the end times. And there were times Bevere came across a little arrogant / over-confident in his opinions of certai ...more
Aaron Cash
You want to be set alight with a new passion for God? For your job? For Life? if it was yes to any of these questions then this is the book for you. With over 4 New York Times best sellers John Bevere is perhaps the leading voice for this generation in the Christian book world.
Really enjoyed this book, really what to read it again and again! It explains what it takes to really heart after God, desires and intentions are not the same. God deserves our total surrender.
A friend recently returned my copy of this book sparking an interest in rereading. Pleasantly surprised to see my handwrtten margin notes and prayers from the first read : Father God, my desire is to cast away all distractions that I may be sanctified and You be Glorified. Amen: 1/28/2008

Love anything by the Beveres
I found this guy a bit full of himself - his writig style suggests that he's correct in everything he says, and that there is no room for discussion/debate. I also found his biblical exegesis lacking. I appreciate his passion, but had serious hesitations about his theology.
a few of the chapters were very convicting, but most of the book was hard for me to stay awake.
This book is the most challenging book I've ever read. The chapter on intentions vs. desires really convicted me. John Bevere has a lot of wisdom and insight that today's church (especially in the U.S.) needs to hear.
This book is truly inspiring, and will rock you to the core of your Christianity. If you desire more than a lukewarm, boring Christian life, this is a must read!
Awesome. Completely. It really mad me think and start changing some of my wrong attitudes. =)
Hope Blackwell
This book was powerful and life changing. I'll never be the same again!
Frossie Dauer
Very good one to read especially if wondering about fasting and prayer.
Rachel N
Reading as a congregation. Incredible!
First book I read by John Bevere...great stuff!
Alesia Taylor
Alesia Taylor marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Jennifer Almodovar
Jennifer Almodovar marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Lois marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Meryl Thompson
Meryl Thompson marked it as to-read
Jenny Weatherwax
Jenny Weatherwax marked it as to-read
Jani Daniel
Jani Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Garima Levi
Garima Levi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
  • The God Catchers: Experiencing the Manifest Presence of God
  • The Call
  • Becoming a Prayer Warrior: A Guide to Effective and Powerful Prayer
  • Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts
  • Strengthen Yourself in the Lord: How to Release the Hidden Power of God in Your Life
  • Watchman Prayer: Keeping the Enemy Out While Protecting Your Family, Home and Community
  • The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting
  • Mind Siege: The Battle for Truth
  • Enjoying Where You Are on the Way to Where You Are Going: Learning How to Live a Joyful Spirit-Led Life
  • Light in the Shadow of Jihad: The Struggle for Truth
  • The Unquenchable Worshipper: Coming Back to the Heart of Worship
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • Possessing the Gates of the Enemy: An Intercessionary Prayer Manual
Marked by boldness and passion, John Bevere delivers uncompromising truth through his award-winning curriculums and bestselling books, now in more than 60 languages, including "The Bait of Satan," "Drawing Near" and "Driven by Eternity." He is an international speaker and co-host of "The Messenger" TV program broadcast worldwide.

John enjoys living in Colorado Springs with his wife, Lisa, also a b
More about John Bevere...
The Bait Of Satan: Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense Under Cover: The Promise of Protection Under His Authority The Fear of the Lord: Discover the Key to Intimately Knowing God (Inner Strength Series) Driven by Eternity: Making Your Life Count Today & Forever Drawing Near: A Life of Intimacy with God