Start by marking “Vampyres of Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Vampyres of Hollywood

Vampyres of Hollywood (Vampyres of Hollywood #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  453 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Hollywood, California: three gruesome deaths within two weeks and every one of them a major star - an Oscar winner, an ingénue, and an action hero. A serial killer is working through the Hollywood A-list and celebrities are running scared.

Each crime scene is worthy of a classic horror movie, and all three victims share a connection to the powerful scream queen, Ovsanna Moo
Published September 15th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published July 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Vampyres of Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampyres of Hollywood

Sabrina  Brawley
Aug 01, 2008 Sabrina Brawley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sabrina by: Breeni Books
I am not a fan of star ratings systems, but they are an unfortunate reality in the review world. Every site I frequent seems to demand some type of star rating for reviews, whether it be GoodReads, Bookcrossing, or Amazon. For numerous reasons, it has been quite a long time since I felt any book I have read deserved top rating of five full stars (or ten on Bookcrossing). That is, until I picked up Vampyres of Hollywood last night. This is the type of novel that will keep a reader stationery for ...more
Susan
Authors Adrienne Barbeau and Michael Scott have created a vivid world where vampires walk the streets of Hollywood - a place strange enough for them to hide out in plain sight and make lives for themselves among America's cinematic royalty. The characters are well-written and full of depth and dimension, and the story is dense with a creative mysterious twist. The pacing of the novel makes it impossible to put down until the very last word, and the dialogue is smart and witty.

Vampyres of Hollywo
Jan
Welcome to Hollywood. a town run by vampyres. No, I mean actual real vampyres. And Osvanna Moore is the leader of them all. Known as the Scream Queen she is in her third life in Hollywood and going strong running her own production company for horror movies. But when vampires and humans that are associated with her start being brutally murdered, Osvanna has to solve the crime to prevent too much attention being drawn to her. Her only other choice is to "die" and live a life elsewhere. That is no ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been many years since I read a Paranormal Fiction book. Why? I'm not sure. I used to get a few of them for review, but they stopped coming. Today, vampire stories are all the rage since the whole Twilight phenomenon started. Both my wife and daughter love that series. But those books are what I call light vampire fiction. You know what I am talking about . . . good vampires that young teenage girls all swoon for. Hunky werewolf guys who girls want to have protect them. I'm of the other mi ...more
Nicole
Oct 17, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. It lived up to all of my expectations (exceeded them actually) and made me smile. I hope this is a start of a new series, and can't wait for the next.

This book is for anyone who loves crime, mysteries, vampires and Hollywood.
Ladysatel
Jan 26, 2016 Ladysatel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on Vampires and the Hollywood scene. Lots of insider information about the Hollywood residents and how they act. Also a good read about the Vampire connection.

Imagine if vampires were really in Hollywood. They look good on screen because they never age and they sort of glow. Now someone is killing the vampires of Ovsanna Moore, head of Anticipation Studios the maker of thriller pics.

Ovsanna is determined to find out who is doing this and finds herself aided by Det. Peter King
Christen
This book was sort of fun...not the best book I ever read, but it kept my attention. The end is sort of crazy, but the ride to the end is interesting. Pick it up when your "To Read" shelf is running low.
Erin O'Riordan
Sep 05, 2014 Erin O'Riordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have been slightly disappointed if the lovely and talented film actress Adrienne Barbeau hadn't written a fabulously entertaining book with her co-author Michael Scott of The Alchemyst fame. Fortunately, this vampyre fantasy/murder mystery set in modern-day Hollywood IS fabulously entertaining. Horror, humor, and suspense are deftly blended into this unusual boy-meets-ghoul story reminiscent of the best of Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries series (if by Southern we meant SoCa ...more
Emma
Jan 10, 2010 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
New take on vampires. Since the vampires wrote the movies, everything we know about them is wrong.
CD
Dec 23, 2011 CD rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I stand by my earlier statement in a review of a vampire where the author had changed the vampire rules so that the could walk in the sun: YOU RUIN VAMPIRES AND YOU RUIN THE TENSION. There is something deliciously dark (no pun, or maybe, yes, pun intended) about having to live in the night. Darn it! They are creatures of the night! When you change it, you ruin it. I'm sorry, that's just the way I feel. Moving on....

So, the rest of this story features a madcap murder mystery that barely holds tog
Heather Dalgarno
Jul 25, 2011 Heather Dalgarno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampyres of Hollywood is a wonderful book - witty, fast paced, and well written. It's written by author team Adrienne Barbeau and Michael Scott.

Barbeau is best known as an actress who has starred in "genre" movies (which I think is what they call B movies these days) with fabulous titles like "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death". It's little wonder then where her input to this novel comes...the heroine of the piece is Ovsanna Moore, Hollywood's "Scream Queen" and movie producer who j
Francisco
Sep 17, 2012 Francisco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After three murders hit Hollywood, Detective Peter King searches for this madman. What he doesnt realize is that all these killings have one thing in common: The three victims are all linked to Ovsanna Moore, an actess of gore and owner of a Hollywood stuido. What most people dont know, save for her assistant, is that she is a 500-and-something year old vampire and head of the Vampyres of Hollywood. Detective King finds himsel attracted to Ms. Moore, but is then doubting himself when he finds hi ...more
Tim
May 31, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, what more can you ask of a book that only seeks to entertain? Both slapstick and satire. Making the old new again with several creative twists on hoary old plot points and conventions. The grossout and the titillating. A fine mystery and a page turning thriller. Characters who, while not real, are realistic enough to make you care what happens to them. Inside jokes (and I'm sure I missed a few) that don't stick out like sore thumbs...

OK, so there were a few points when the grammar made
Disincentive/Feta
I’m a little confused with my feelings about this book. I know I shouldn’t really expect a lot from vampire novel – let’s face the truth, they usually suck, but this one started really nicely.

I liked this feeling I got when I was reading first chapter – talking about murders without any emotions. Then, it got only worse.

Authors had amazing idea of writing – one chapter is from vampire view, one from policeman, but they pretty messed it up by repeating actions that happened in last art in next on
Cherie
Oct 31, 2008 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer is knocking off some of Hollywood's hottest celebrities in gruesome attacks worthy of a Hollywood horror set. Unfortunately, this is no set, and the slain celebrities all have one thing in common: their connection to scream queen and studio head, Ovsanna Moore.

Beverly Hills police detective Peter Moore is on the case. He has pieced together the clues which inevitably lead him to the sexy and seductive Ovsanna Moore. But what he doesn't know is that Ms. Moore is actually a 500-yea
Marty Enslow
I really enjoyed this book. It was a little campy and clichéd, but it was done well and I enjoyed the characters and the relationships between them.

There is one massive plot hole though. Big, as in, a plot hole just opened up under that road and it ate three minivans, two SUVs, and a school bus.

(view spoiler)
Mareena
Jan 16, 2016 Mareena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes paranormal mysteries
Recommended to Mareena by: Adrienne Barbeau's Literary Agent
Shelves:
Ovsanna Moore is known as the 'Scream Queen' of Hollywood. She is a horror movie actress and the head of Anticipation Studios - an up-and-coming studio hoping to become more well-known. Ovsanna is also known as the Chatalaine of Hollywood - a 500-year-old vampire who is leader of a clan of jet-setting actors and actresses known as the 'Vampyres of Hollywood'. When the Hollywood A-List is shaken by the murders of three major stars - an Oscar winner, an ingenue and an action hero, they all have li ...more
Nikki
May 11, 2011 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Humour, blood and guts, oh my… Vampires of Hollywood was a breath of fresh air in the Vampire genre of late. Its was quick and witty with a very generous amount of blood and guts. And very gory Death scenes, it was fun.

I couldn’t really get into most of the story though, some parts were rushed, others were too slow and the rest was too unconceivable, I mean things just don’t happen the way you need it too. I mean detective King just happen to have the connections he needed for this particular ca
Diana Gagliardi
Jul 07, 2015 Diana Gagliardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't Bite off more than you can chew!

A Really interesting premise to make the vampires lose themselves in Hollywood. I thought it was a little slow moving at first but as the story progressed and became more detailed it picked up. The detective is actually more interesting than the vampyre actress in this book but interest heats up in the ending. I will read the next book to see how things turn out! A fun read.
Marisa
Nov 28, 2009 Marisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Vampyres of Hollywood had a good blend of humore and blood and guts. I liked the spin on vampired making up what people believe to be true about vampyres because they wrote the story. There was a lot of interesting pop culture references which was fun to read and see how the authors connected it to vampyres. I also liked when Ovsanna makes a comment about HBO being better before they dropped Canivale as a show since Adrienne Barbeau was an actress on the show. One thing that got a little annoyin ...more
Brenda
Nov 06, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest, the only reason this book caught my attention is because it was written by Adrienne. I watched her on television for years. Well, she's got a pretty good vocation going on here as well. This is a fun story about vamps that rule Hollywood. Most you'll recognize since they are the old school royalty of film. It's funny, suspenseful, and snarky. A great easy read.
Katherine
Jun 15, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like this, but read it in sped time (for me). It was exciting and thrilling and different than anything I've read. I really had fun reading this.
Cindi
Dec 25, 2010 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fresh. Written in the POV of The Chateliane of Hollywood, Ovsanna, and Peter King, a detective with BHPD - and you can tell which view by the vamp lips or the smoking gun on the first page of every chapter. It was easy to become attached to the Scream Queen actress who deftly manuevered herself into head of a small, independent studio and to the somewhat kooky, self-absorbed and hunky cop who once was hired to advise on a police TV show and so knows what fame is like. There is no way you could f ...more
Breanna
Oct 10, 2015 Breanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
A neat concept, really poorly executed. Incredibly cheesy, really hard to read towards the end. The lead vampire character has a lot of flashbacks to various people and events in history that takes quite a bit away from the plot.
Steve Yacovelli
I bought this because Michael Scott is the author (or co-author). I like his cheese-read stuff and while the last one of his I read -- The 13 Hallows -- was pretty gory it was good fun.

I was kinda shocked to see Broadway's original Rizzo Adrienne Barbeau listed as the primary author. I'm a little over 1/2 way and it's wicked fun. Very great humor, very gory crime scenes, and her "slaying" (sorry) of old Hollywood and new Hollyweird are pretty darn funny.

I definitely will buy Book #2 after this
Brett Bydairk
Sep 22, 2013 Brett Bydairk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, mystery, humor
This features a centuries-old vampire actress, and a mortal cop. The story is written by each in alternating chapters, which lends itself well to the brisk pace of this tale.
Someone, or something, has started killing friends and associates of Ovsanna Moore, the head of Anticipation Studios, which makes B level horror films. Detective King is assigned the case, and soon suspects that something is a bit off, both with Ms. Moore and the murders, which themselves resemble scenes from horror movies.
V
Ken Liljengren
Dec 18, 2014 Ken Liljengren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know Ms Barbeau could write too!!
This was a very different and fun take on vampyres.
I loved it!!

Ken
Lisa Barry
Fun, interesting read with a twist on the vampire story line that I quite liked. Enjoyable read.
Bitten_by_Books
Feb 07, 2009 Bitten_by_Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: becky
In this series debut we meet quite the cast of characters with a bit of a problem on their hands. Ovsanna Moore is third generation Hollywood, beloved scream queen actress, studio head and five hundred year old vampire. As a born vampire and basically the ruler of the Hollywood vampires, she has turned many...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By Books for the review of Vampyres Of Hollywood in it's entirety. You won't be sor
Michael  Starsheen
A good read

I gave this book five stars because it was fun, the plot was interesting, and the characters well written. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys vampire fiction.
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 2 (Vampire Files, #4-6)
  • Red Delicious (Siobhan Quinn, #2)
  • Descent into Dust (Emma Andrews #1)
  • A Terrible Beauty
  • Mercy Thompson: Hopcross Jilly
  • Awakenings (Guardians of Aandor, #1)
  • Werewolf Cop
  • Doing the Devil's Work: A Novel
  • Fearless (Pax Arcana, #3)
  • Acquainted With the Night (Acquainted With the Night, #1)
  • The Company She Kept (Joe Gunther, #26)
  • The Blackest Bird
  • Living Dangerously (Adrenaline Highs, #4)
  • The Three-Nine Line (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #4)
  • Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)
  • Haunted Honeymoon (Casa Dracula, #4)
  • From a Drood to a Kill (Secret Histories, #9)
  • Blood Game (Jock Boucher #2)
All my life I’ve been a performer – an actress, a singer, a dancer, even a talk show host – but never in the wildest dreams of my first 50 years did I ever imagine I would write something that other people would read. I still can’t quite get over it.

Adrienne began her career entertaining our servicemen throughout Southeast Asia. She made her Broadway debut as Tevye’s daughter, Hodel, in Fiddler on
More about Adrienne Barbeau...

Vampyres of Hollywood (2 books)
  • Love Bites (Vampyres of Hollywood, #2)