Start by marking “Secondhand Heart” as Want to Read:
Secondhand Heart

Secondhand Heart

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Conrad Muller’s heart is the center of a web of friendships, fights, and love lost and found in a close-knit group of gay men in Orange County, California. Six months ago, Conrad died, and his organs were donated for transplant. A month later, Conrad’s lover, Christian, receives a letter from the recipient of Conrad’s donated heart.

Christian can’t stop thinking about the l
Published March 14th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Secondhand Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secondhand Heart

Simsala
This is the first book that I`ve read in 2011 that goes to my favorites shelf.
I loved every word,every page and read several chapters twice in this achingly beautiful novel.
I could(almost)swear,that Secondhand Heart has been written just for me.;-)

The story of love lost and found involves grief,angst,cheating,promiscuity,lying,desperation,passion,hot sex,a ghost,a letter and many,many tears.So it may not be to everyones taste.
Nonetheless - highly recommended!

Edina Rose
This book should have come with a warning! I'm in tears. I still see the scene where Eban reads Conrad's letter, and it still makes me cry to see the love, the lost opportunity, the regret, the infinite pain... Aaah. When Eban cried, I cried with him. His story, his pain, his choices, everything about him made me emotional. Sure, I hurt for Christian, Damien, Conrad ... but Eban touched me more than the other characters.

This book is poetic in a dramatic way. I am a fan of Greek tragedies, and i
Feliz
Only one word: DRAMA. Spelled out in blinking, capitalized neon letters three feet high with sparkling stars flashing all around. Boy, all that swinging and bed-hopping made my head spin! If I’ve counted correctly, there are ten men more or less entangled in this web of relationships, love affairs, friendships and or/ fuck sessions, all orbiting Conrad, who seems to have been the center of their universe – still is, actually, even though he’s dead. Perhaps all the more for it. And to top it all, ...more
Gwengwel
Neet
Can I just say that this though this book is filled with sex,violence, and angst has also a realistic depiction of how death can affect everyone differently.The dearly departed in this case is Conrad, lover of 10 years to Christian and best friend of eban both who are emotionally drained by his death for 6 months. Also throw in eban 's angry ex, Damien who always felt second best to Conrad and friends and coworkers jack and Marcus.I loved how conflicted each of these characters were Christian co ...more
Ami
T.A. Webb
Dont let the slow pace put you off. This book SINGS. It is really Ebans story that shines the brightest. The grief of Conrads death paralyzes Christian and Eban and how they and the whole group of those who knew and/or loved Conrad grieve and find closure and release is beautifully written. Ms. Blackwell doesnt exactly pull any huge surprises out of the bag but her understated characterizations make this story quietly heartbreaking. I found myself moved to tears several times as the book drew to ...more
Judith
6 stars!!!! Haunting and powerful! I dont think I'll ever be completely over how intense this novel was for me! I have never read a story as emotional as this. Eban... man, my heart bled continuously for him. It bleeds still!!Thank the Gods for Marcus!!!
This story should come with a warning label:
"This read requires 2 boxes of tissues. This read also requires some quiet time for reflection, recovery, and mending your shattered heart during and afterwards!"
Nile Princess
4.5 Definitely not for everyone. This one put me through the wringer. I think I pretty much know what the one and two star reviews will say and they'll be right, but I couldn't put this down.

Ok, so this book is pretty much Queer As Folk meets Melrose Place. Everyone is sleeping with everyone else and every new character that's introduced knows one of the original characters in one way or other. It's like one degree of separation.
vLadimiR

3.5 Snaps

So the story basically revolves around three men living in Newport beach who are in a very complicated love triangle which started fifteen years prior to the beginning of the book. The first chapter deals with the death of Conrad and even though he is essentially absent for the whole duration of the book, his influence is the strongest among all the characters in the story. The plot mainly covers how Conrad's boyfriend, Christian and their mutual best friend, Eban, deal with the pain of
Monica Vidal
This one goes to that place of "ok I got your point, I agree with you, but let's not do that again." I liked it, but didn't loved it. It started really good and maybe I built too high expectations because the book didn't live up to it.

It starts with Christian and Eban losing Conrad in a car accident and it develops to us seeing how both guys dealt with Conrad's death. Christian lost the love of his life and I could see that the point was for me to feel sympathetic to him but all I wanted was to
Sarah Shaw
One of the best books I have read in a long time. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would. I have never felt so many different emotions or cried so much reading one book. I would definitely recommend this book. I felt so much for Christian, Eban, Luke, Darius, Damien and Conrad. So much loss for all involved. This has become one of my favorite books of all time.
**** It may not be for everyone if you don't like to read m/m romance.***
John
Not quite my cup of tea. Lots of volatile drama, but unfortunately I had a hard time liking the characters enough to care very much about it. So it was rather like reading a soap opera that one doesn't quite follow. I found the point of view a little hard to cope with as it shifted among the cast. It's not a bad book but once the pattern is set, it's a bit predictable.
Sherry
Aug 03, 2012 Sherry marked it as dnf
Shelves: m-m-romance
the beginning was good, imo. Christians grief for his dead partner had me in tears a few times but the plot soon became ridiculous. The characters see themselves in a dead end or a unmanagable situation and what do they do? They fuck around and everything just gets more complictated.
Also, the focus shifted away from the main character too often for my liking.
Charneen
this book nearly tore me in half, the fact that Christian was second best until Luke, no one reading this book cant be aware of that fact.

Conrad loved him but he loved and desired Eban more because he choose to not have him. the pain one man can cause the ripples that blow across through time and space.

the people who land up with who they do in the end, I hate Conrad, I hate that the man was gutless and a coward who's actions destroyed so many.

I love Luke and his sweet innocence and the fact he
Enny
That was an absolutely fantastic book with flawed and therefore very interesting characters. Only the completely unbelievable twist with the organ recipient being the new love interest of the organ donor's boyfriend kept me from giving the book 5 stars.
Linda-Grace
So much angst it nearly tore my heart out. They were all a**holes in itat some point apart from Luke lol(
Allie
All the characters in this story are interwoven and it seems that they will all have slept with someone in the group by the end of the book. All gay men, of course :o) Well, all but one, I think.

Anyway, the story revolves around the two men who loved Conrad (who died 6 months before our story begins). The first man is Christian, Conrad's lover of the past 10 years. The second man is Eban, Conrad's best friend of 15 years and now Christian's best friend.

I won't rehash the story here because othe
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

In the interwoven fabric of life, what happens to a group of people when someone in their circle dies? This is not a light read; it is a deep and emotionally rich, thought-provoking story. I enjoy complex stories and so I enjoyed this story very much. This plot is not exactly like a traditional romance but it is a love story with a hard earned happy ending. This is a compound novel that centers on the lives of two roommates who are st
Snowtulip
When you are in the mood for some angst and drama, this story might be just right for you.

As I was reading this book I would fluctuate rapidly between a 2 star and 4 star review. The 4 star components were captured in the grief, depth of love, friendship that was conveyed about Christian, Eban and Conrad. Throw in Luke and Darius to center and root the story...makes for a very content reader. The 2 star components that moved me from being content were the running story lines of the secondary cha
Des
Im ambivalent about this book. It started out great. Scarlet Blackwell is an incredible writer. I felt every emotion as if it was my own and cried buckets. My favorite paragraph, "Christian stared after him and then slowly he made his way to a nearby bench and sank down, trying to reclaim his breath and his heart, which had been buried with Conrad, but which was trying to claw its way through six feet of earth and present itself to someone else." AMAZING. However, the rampant promiscuity eventua ...more
Wusswoo
Linda-Grace
Wow this had everything, love, angst, unrequited love, missed opportunites,cheating, anger, hurt, pain, grief, sadness, heartbreak etc... I loved this book and all the main characters in it for different reasons and some of them not much too like until you look deeper. Very powerful this book i could not put it down just finished it and its nearly 5am, thank god no work today haha. Went thru alot of emotions reading this book dont think i could read it all again, it one of those books that you l ...more
Kristina
A bit long and confusing with too many main characters for my liking.
Lily

This story takes the reader on an emotional roller-coaster ride from beginning to end. Centered around a dead man, his transplanted heart, his lover and friends this book is full of angst and tears as well as tons of sex between the friends in all sorts of combinations. Pretty much everyone sleeps with everyone else at some point or another. Definitely reads like a soap opera, a very melodramatic one at that. Despite the tears and drama however it was an enjoyable read.
Shamilla
I really liked this book. The angst and drama was touching. Eban and Damien was my fave characters, Luke, Darius, Marcus, Jack and Aaron were okay, still not sure if I like Christian and Conrad was a real bastard for stringing Eban along. I cried for Eban, out of all affected by Conrad's death, he suffered the most. Still a really great read. I like books that let's you fell the emotions of the characters.
Eviant Eviant
I often feel like Scarlet Blackwell is two different people and they alternate writing books under her name. Some of her books are great and there are some that I can't even make it through.

This book was AMAZING. The characters were complex and though it was very long, I was never bored because there was so much going on with each character.

Highly Recommended!
Macthed Buhcuhlouh
The f*ck is wrong with this shit?! but seriously I don't care! HAHAHAHA
but yeah the story is kinda sad and sometimes kinda infuriates me because of the characters and also how the change of events sucks for me, f*ck me right? HAHAHAHA
Kiki
hard to believe how many dysfunctional relationships can be crammed in to one novel ... It did keep my interest for the most part, but I found it impossible to believe in or feel any real satisfaction in all the nominally HEAs ...
ED
It took me an hour or so to get into it, but after that..... well, I liked it. A bit like a Gay variety of "Days of our lives". The secret is, not to take it to seriously and it is a very entertaining story.
  • Too Soon For Love
  • Tono (Basque, #2)
  • These Haunted Heights
  • A Red-Tainted Silence
  • Caregiver
  • City Falcon (Falcon, #2)
  • Back Home
  • Stolen Summer
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Idaho Pride
  • Broken Wings (Lost Boys and Love Letters, #4)
  • Everything Under the Sun
  • Clay's Challenge
  • Paper Planes (Queen City #1)
  • Nothing Ever Happens
  • The Far Away Years
  • Yakuza Pride (The Way of the Yakuza #1)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
Scarlet writes erotic romance.

Scarlet would rather stick pins in her eyes than go on Facebook but now sees the necessary evil of it. Please join her there for useless writing-related ramblings and hot men musings and ease her in gently. Bah.
More about Scarlet Blackwell...
Rescue Me Inferno And So Is Love Just Desserts (Table for Two, #1) Blind Blondie

“It’s been so many years since I actually had a date that I’ve forgotten how to act. You don’t mention your ex when you’ve finished fucking your date; it’s poor protocol” 7 likes