King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  2,219 ratings  ·  73 reviews
This revolutionary cookbook breathes new life into breads, cakes, cookies, pastries, and more by transforming the dark and dense alchemy of whole grain baking into lively, flavorful, sweet, and savory treats. The final result is more than 400 delicious, inviting, and foolproof recipes that define the next generation of whole grain cooking.
Published October 9th 2006 by Countryman Press

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
102nd out of 827 books — 829 voters
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisThe Last Chinese Chef by Nicole MonesMedium Raw by Anthony BourdainHeat by Bill Buford
Great Books about Food
59th out of 144 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Apr 24, 2008 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn to bake with whole grains
Recommended to Karen by: Heather Buck
Shelves: cookbooks
I know I'm the only weirdo among my friends who likes cookbooks as well as any novel... but I have to post a review of this book.

I LOVE IT. This is the best new cookbook I've got for a very long time. I got it for Christmas, and with a new baby and all, I really hadn't had time to start trying recipes until now (the price of wheat and other groceries helped kick me into gear, too!). Anyway, I've tried probably around 20-25 of the recipes in this book, and all of them have been outstanding. We on...more
Willow
I must admit, while I've pretty much read almost all this new cookbook, I've only tried two recipes so far. They were both cakes, the Devil's Food Cake and the Vanilla Pound Cake. Both of them were delicious. In fact, I think the pound cake was the best pound cake I’ve ever had (I must make it again.)

I rather like whole grains. They have a heavier, richer flavor. I have these dreams of cooking healthier and I do believe this cookbook will help. I want to try the pizza crust next and then the Pu...more
Sara
Love this cookbook! After checking it out for 9 weeks at the library, I finally bought a used copy online. This book is great. It's interesting and very helpful when you are trying to do all of your baking from scratch with whole grains.

Not everything I have made has been wonderful, but I'm trying to adapt to an altitude of 8500 feet instead of sea level. I've made tortillas and cookies and breads. I keep revising and improvising on recipes but I feel comforted knowing I have a decent guide to...more
Mandy
Every recipe I have made from this book has been delicious! The barley snickerdoodles especially were a crowd pleaser. It does call for a fair number of ingredients that you may not have on hand from multiple whole grain flours to specialized flavors. But once you collect them, the product will be worth it.
Vicky
Three stars because there were more recipes that I wouldn't make than those I would. I guess I'm a simple whole-grain baker and not willing to buy weird things, like spelt flour, or buckwheat, or barley flour, mostly because they are not in the budget for this home cook. I like to stick to whole wheat and whole cornmeal because that's what I have at home 100% of the time. I did find a few gems, though, and more that I still want to try but didn't have time before it was due at the library. Howev...more
So far I've only made 2 recipes out of this book, but since I got it last week, that's not too bad. Both were really good (a chocolate cake and banana-chocolate chip muffins). I like being able to think that I'm actually getting some nutrition out of things that I bake. OK, I don't fool myself, chocolate cake is chocolate cake, but there are healthy bread recipes in here too, so there! But it is nice to have recipes to make things from whole grains - since becoming pregnant I've paid more attent...more
Girl Underground
A lot of people need photos to enjoy their cookbooks--this is a perfect example of photos not being necessary. There's a lot of great info on whole grains, including how to cook them aside from baking. The book doesn't skirt the issue that a lot of people have tried baking with whole grains in the past and hated it, and it doesn't make excuses for taste just because whole grains were used. Instead, it offers genuinely good recipes that are only made better by the use of whole grains, and as it p...more
Carolyn
I MUST BUY THIS BOOK.

Seriously, it's on my birthday and Christmas list until I get it. I didn't read every single page (it's most a cookbook after all) but I read all of the informational parts and it's got a TON of good information about the different grains, their history and cultivation, how to cook with them, descriptions of how they taste, what you can combine them with (mostly based on how much gluten is in each so you know if that grain product will stick together on it's own). Good stuff...more
I seem to be the only person in the world who thought this cookbook was just OK. I've tried a decent representation of the recipes -- maybe 6 or 7? -- and really, they just strike me as...passable. And I love whole grains! I've had pretty good luck with KAF recipes previously, so maybe my expectations were just too high. Also, with the exception of the breads, a lot of the stuff in here is still really bad for you (think multiple sticks of butter...and corn syrup in the cookies (?!?)). If you're...more
Christina
After borrowing this book from the library, I had to own it. The test chefs at King Arthur Flour did a fantastic job creating the whole grain recipes in this book. Furthermore, the explanations of the different types of flours, what they're good for, and tips for baking with whole grains has already made this book my go-to cookbook whenever I want to bake something. And I bake a lot.
Jan 27, 2009 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
This is hands down my favorite baking book ever and one I use on a weekly basis. The recipes are packed with healthy whole grains, but people are always surprised by that when they taste how moist and delicious the results are. Children and confirmed white-bread-only adults will become converts! In addition there are many helpful baking hints scattered throughout the book.
Mikhaela
Have made six or seven recipes out of here so far and they have all come out perfectly (even after I veganized a few to avoid dairy and eggs). The instructions and illustrations are super detailed and helpful. Favorites so far from what I've made: the cherry chocolate scones, the whole wheat pita bread and the whole wheat sourdough.
Anita Peluso
I use this book ALL the time! It has expanded my use of whole grains. The one drawback is that it still seems to use too much sugar. It's almost like they are trying to over-comensate for the fact that there are whole grains in the recipes. I often cut back on the sugar a little.
Deb
A great book and resource for anyone wanting to learn about whole grain baking. Read my complete review here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Minna
Would have been improved with more pictures (because: OBVIOUSLY) but otherwise a superb cookbook. I've been in the habit of subbing out white flour for white whole wheat flour for years but not until I read this book did it occur to me that a straight substitution might not necessarily result in the best results. For example, supplementing with OJ or potato flour would not have crossed my mind. I can't wait to try out one of the many recipes I have flagged. Yum!!!
Emily
I love baking, and baking with whole grains is a passion of mine. This cookbook has specifically adapted several traditional recipes for use with whole grain, as well as less conventional, more health conscious recipes. I appreciate the understanding of whole grains - some recipes even recommend batter sitting over night to soften the grains. We've tried and enjoyed the Lemon Cloud Pancakes, Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake and others. This book was an impulse buy on Amazon, and I'm glad I have it....more
Tricia
The first 2 recipes I have tried from this book (brownies and peach coffee cake) have been excellent - much above my expectations. They are great recipes (period), not just "great for whole wheat" recipes.

*** And yesterday I made a pumpkin bread that my colleagues seem to be happily munching.

This is an excellent addition to any kitchen library, especially those who enjoy baking.
Jenny
This is hands-down the BEST whole grain cookbook I've found yet (and I've been buying them for years). Each dish is very healthy, simple, easy to make, and results in delicious treats each time. My kids hardly notice that they're eating whole wheat in their cakes, cookies, and muffins anymore. A must-have for any baker, whether or not eating healthy is the focus
Devon Trevarrow Flaherty
Feb 07, 2010 Devon Trevarrow Flaherty is currently reading it
Okey, so I've already read it, but now I am cooking my way through it. I feel like there could be more variety in the grains, but then again, wheat and spelt are really two of the most affordable grains, anyhow. So far, so good. I liked the buckwheat pancakes, but I was the only one. And don't go looking for alternative sweetener recipes: they are not here.
Michelle
I have only tried one recipe from this book, and I've attempted it several times, all with terrible results. And no, I am not a novice baker. Maybe our local grocery has stale baking items, but I don't have problems making other baked goods. Will try another recipe after this semester of school is over and I have time to waste.
Lisa
Love this book! Can't wait to try some of the recipes, especially the ones with spelt which I've never used.

Update: I tried two recipes so far with mixed results. Chocolate Malted Muffins made from barley flour and whole wheat flour came out pretty great. Corn maple biscuits didn't come out as well - a little bitter.
Lisa N
This is the best cookbook I have come across in years. I love whole grains, and this is a great way to get my kids to eat them. My favorites so far are the blueberry corn cakes (blueberry cornmeal pancakes) and the sour cream muffins with blueberries. I wish I could spend two weeks in the kitchen just baking from this book!
Emily
If you check this book out make the cinnamon filled scones--absolutely yum-mie. My kids also loved the oatmeal cookies and I loved the oatmeal pancakes. This is a monster cookbook. It would probably take the rest of my life to try all the recipes. We'll have to check this one out again.
Alicia
Pretty large encyclopedic in nature book, dedicated to whole grain baking.
The Bible of Whole Grain if you will.
BUT lacks PHOTOS.
Bakers need PHOTOS. We need to see the darkness of the crust, how high the roll rose, etc.
Need PHOTOS PEOPLE. Hence the down rating.
Laurie
Jul 14, 2009 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bakers, those cutting down on refined sugars & flour
Shelves: delectable
I received this for Christmas and have probably made about a dozen recipes so far. This is just as good as the original King Arthur book. A great way to add whole grains to your diet in a familiar way. I ate a whole wheat blueberry muffin this morning, delish!
Eling
Another "this would be five stars if there were more photos" kind of book. Love the variety of recipes (it's quite a large book) and so many of them sound really truly interesting & tasty. Lots of creative applications & impressive range of whole grain flours here!
Heather
A great start to baking with whole grains. I loved how the book made it seem easy and yummy to bake with whole grains. And even though I'm not a big bread baker, those sections were still intriguing to me.
Emilie
As far as recipes go, this book is a solid 5 stars. But there is a sad lack of photographs. It is a very large book and I wish they had paired down the recipes and added photos or released the series in volumes, covering different food categories.
Shannon
A recipe filled with butter/oil and sugar is still fatty & sugary regardless of how many whole grains you put into it. The recipes in this book fall into the "sometimes food" category at our house. They are too junky to eat every day.
  • Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Artisan Revolution Continues with Whole Grains, Fruits, and Vegetables
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Baking
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Tartine
  • Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, And Savor...
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery
  • The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)