Start by marking “The Magic Faraway Tree” as Want to Read:
The Magic Faraway Tree

The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree #2)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  21,067 ratings  ·  380 reviews
Jo, Bessie and Fanny take their cousin Rick on an adventure he'll never forget to the magic Faraway Tree, where he meets Moon-Face, Silky the fairy and Saucepan Man, and visits all the different lands at the top of the Faraway Tree. Like the Land of Spells, the crazy Land of Topsy-Turvy, and the land of Do-As-You-Please, where the children ride a runaway train!
Published July 2005 by Egmont (first published 1943)

Lauren Welch
This was my favourite book when I was younger because it’s such an enchanting story. The story takes place in an enchanted forest in which a gigantic magical tree grows - the enormous "Faraway Tree". The tree is so tall that its top branches reach into the clouds and it is wide enough to contain small houses carved into its trunk. Three children find the tree in the enchanted forest, which is the start of their adventure. They meet lots of new friends in different parts of the tree like moon fac ...more
Natasha Soderberg
This book shaped much of my childhood.
Charlotte
As a child I loved to read and would read a lot of books but the books that stand out to me the most are The Magic Faraway Tree and Adventures of the Wishing-Chair, both by Enid Blyton.

Her stories were full of mystery and fantasy and I used to spend all night finishing a book and being exhausted all the next day because I just had to read the last 'few' pages.

Within these stories the children (and of course you)visit the magic Faraway Tree, and meet the magical characters that soon become their
Kirsten
Is this the book that turned me into such a bookworm? I just read it to my six year old son and at times to my 39 year old husband. We all loved it. It was the first chapter book Ethan had the patience for. I asked him his fave character and of all characters it was the Angry Pixie. Would never have picked it. The humour is accessible to all which I don't always find as Ethan has yet to pick up references needed for jokes generally. But he loved all the descriptions of Saucepan's misunderstandin ...more
Michelle
Five stars out of sheer sentimentality. I loved this book as a child and have read it countless times after finding it at a garage sale. I have so many pleasant memories reading this book, it will never leave my bookshelf.
Clouds
My review-soon shelf is getting out of control again - been finishing more books than I've been reviewing! - best crack-on...

So I didn't love this one at all. Part of that's personal, and part of that's critical. Let's do the personal first...

When my son was a tiny baby and my wife was on maternity leave from work, we had a lovely bedtime routine. While Fin had his last feed I would read him a story. We worked our way through Winnie-the-Pooh and Wind in the Willows amongst others. I loved it
Sheree
Apr 24, 2009 Sheree rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: my mum
This was my all-time favourite book growing up & unbeknownst to me at the time, my first experience with the fantasy genre. As a child I was so enchanted with the story, I believed the Enchanted Forest and the Magic Faraway Tree were actually real.

Only a few pages in and this delightful story came rushing back, along with the magical, wishful feelings experienced as a child. Fanny, Dick, Bessie & Jo, Moon-face, Silky, Saucepan, Dame Wash-a-lot & the Angry Pixie became old friends on
Mike
Funny, I was always on the side of the Cousins, There was a reason why I didn't like Moon-Face and it took a Friend to point out that Moon-Face was too much of a Goody Two Shoes.
Saloni .
i have only enid blyton to thank for introducing to me the wonderful and fascinating world of books. i started pretty late but hers were the books which were a part of my childhood. the faraway tree, the wishing chair, the famous fives, secret sevens, mystery series, noddy series and the circuis books were and still are an all time favourite. somehow all my enid blytons are still kept tucked in a cloth in my cupboard ...i just seem unable to give them away.
Dee
ahhhh i wanna plant a tree to take me far far away into a world where i can buy unlimited amounts of books for FREE.
onto the review :P this book i have to say was my childhood, well the tv show was. i remember reading the book and my mouth watering at the cakes that exploded with honey mmmh. tbh this is a magical fun read, something you can treasure. a book in which you can see the development in childrens stories, a classic if i must say!
Ben Phillips
The book is based on the adventures of three children, Jo, Beth and Fanny who have recently moved to a house that has an enchanted wood at the bottom of the garden. Within this wood, is a tree unlike all the others, where strange people live such as a man with a face as round as a moon and a man who only wears saucepans. The tree also has another secret, at the very top, a new land appears each day where the children and their new friends get to explore each time.

Likes:

What is not to like with
Jacqueline Burns-Walters
I read every single one of Enid Blyton's books as a child, (it's thanks to her that I'm such a voracious reader today) and this is my all time favorite. I still have them in our house in Wales. I almost re-read it this Spring while visiting my parents, but I'd hate to spoil the magic of my childhood memory.
Tarubhi
I loved this book when i was a kid.. Used to read it again and again and imagine myself to be one of them. Its too much fun and awesome imagination too.
La pointe de la sauce
1st Gent: Our deeds are fetters that we forge ourselves.
2nd Gent: Ay, truly : but I think it is the world
That brings the iron.
CekMoNSter
i`m giving this book a four..Its my first from Enid Blyton.. I love saucepan man, Dick irked me a bit as a boy who brings trouble..Moon-face is lovable...It`s basically the characters and the setting that made me fall for this one..Reminds me a lot of Roald Dahl`s books, cause Enid blyton`s was really creative and imaginative..
This is a story about a boy, Dick who was sent for a holiday at his aunt`s house. Spending a few days there with his four cousins, he was told about to magic faraway tree
Lori Watts
I really enjoyed reading The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of The Faraway Tree. It has funny characters like Moon-Face, Saucepan Man and Silky the Fairy. Saucepan Man is always wearing saucepans and kettles. He's a bit deaf because of his saucepans and kettles banging together. He's very funny! Moon-Face has a round face like the moon. He has a slippery-slip inside his house. Silky is a very, very, very nice fairy.

Bessie and Franny move next door to an Enchanted wood, and
Ama
I sat down with a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit delighted at the prospect of re-reading a childhood favourite, 'The Magic Faraway Tree'. I hadn't had chance to go back to my parents and dig it out of the cupboard so I had picked up a copy from the local library. As I smiled and opened the first page my face dropped to the floor(and my biscuit plunged into my tea). In this edition 'Dick' was now 'Rick' and 'Fanny' was now 'Frannie'. As I flicked through the pages frantically it seemed that t ...more
Shahrun
Enid Blyton really turns words into magic. This book is no exception. Three siblings, along with their mischievous little so-and-so cousin have some wild adventures with their friends up the Magic Faraway Tree. They don't half get into some scrapes (usually caused by greedy Rick), but together they always get safely out them! I love the random lands the tree lets them access. Oh if only ay!
Maryam
This was the story my father read to me as a bedtime story. After reading it by myself many years later I have come to realise why. This book is so magical and keeps you reason throughout. This books takes you on the same journey as Joe Bessie and Fanny as they climb te magical faraway tree and go down the amazing 'Slippery Slip'. I so wish this tree was real. Enid Blyton has done an amazing job writing this and the other two books as Everytime I read these books I feel like a child again going ...more
Johara Almogbel
Oh, Enid Blyton, what magic you always weave. Specially, when it comes to food. The feasts mentioned always make my mouth water and give me an incurable craving for strawberries and cream (with the cream already sugared).

This is the third addition to the Faraway series, and although the stories are shorter here and the Lands not as numerously pleasant, they're still equally as delightful. Oddly enough, out of all the places, I really really want to visit the Land of Medicines. Pills to make you
Carly
My dad read this book to me in bed when I was very little. Since then I've read it a second time, again to my brother, and I have recycled the novel as a series of bedtime stories for my cousins. This is the one of the best children's books I have ever read because it captivates a child's imagination like no other. This book inspires dramatic childhood games and evokes a sense of adventure to all that read it. I highly recommend reading it to your kids- or even to yourself (if you want to re-spa ...more
Mione Knight
Enid Blyton’s ‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ is an imaginative and enchanting book that would be great to introduce into a Key Stage 2 classroom.

The book follows on from Blyton’s first book in the series ‘The Enchanted Wood.’ The story follows three siblings - Joe, Beth and Frannie - who have discovered a magical tree near their house. The children take their cousin Rick, who has come to stay, to visit this magical tree. Within this enormous tree lives very funny and peculiar characters including Silk
Julie Lovisa
Book two in one of the most fabulous children's series I've ever read. Published only in England, but so worth searching out online! In this book, the Jo, Bessie, and Fanny's cousin Dick comes to stay and they take him into the Enchanted Wood and up the Faraway tree to visit Moon Face, Silky, and The Saucepan Man. They go to The Land of Presents, The Land of Spells, and the Land of Medicines, among others. My son was begging me to read "one more chapter" every night, and that's a rare thing!
Annabelle Moses
This book is really good if you like adventures and humor.
B the BookAddict
I read this book via Skype to my 7yr old niece; happy to say she loved it as much as I did when I was her age. Amazing how many times I have read this as a child, probably well into double digits. Reading it out loud brought back all the magic I had originally felt; a much loved story. A must for all children! 4 ...more
Sara
I read this story around the age of 8, and it spoke to me quite deeply. As children we spend much of our innocent childhood either escaping in to a dream world, or wishing that we could. This book allows a child to step up and out of their reality, and come back down to it, again and again.

The story is relatable to children from all walks of life, and all countries, as it takes place in the wild and in the clouds - something each of us can relate to, imagine, and dream of. There is no requireme
Rowena
One of my favourite childhood books.How I wished I could visit those magical lands at the top of the magic faraway tree, eat all the weird and wonderful food they described, and be friends with a fairy and a man with a moon-shaped face!
Reijiro Sato
Oh where to start.

When i was stuck in a small province, somewhere in the Philippine islands, all I had were the books of Enid Blyton.

Of all the books I remember until now, this is the one that I remember best. It transported me to a magical place that really helped me throughout my growing-up years, all to my adult life I think. It made me optimistic, and it made me look at life in a way that would not have been possible if I had not read the book.

Characters like Dame-Washalot, Moonface, are sti
Maggie
loved it as a child, loved reading it to my children who also loved it. A real pull back to my childhood and the fantasy life a child has.
Such a cute book 7 17 Dec 06, 2014 05:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover for Magic Faraway Tree 2 18 Sep 02, 2014 04:09PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Review 7 1 4 Sep 02, 2014 09:29AM
Childhood inspiration for adults, Share your Story. 2 20 Jul 12, 2014 03:13PM
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Story of Tracy Beaker
  • More Milly Molly Mandy
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Possum Magic
  • Blinky Bill
  • Wombat Stew
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood (Farthing Wood, #1)
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Stig of the Dump
  • Dogger
  • The Naughtiest Girl Helps a Friend (The Naughtiest Girl, #6)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

The Faraway Tree (4 books)
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Up the Faraway Tree
The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3) Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)