Start by marking “The Curse of the Gloamglozer (Edge Chronicles, Book 4)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Gloamglozer (Edge Chronicles, Book 4)

The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles #4)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  4,031 ratings  ·  95 reviews
In the floating city of Sanctaphrax, fusty old professors scheme and bicker with each other as they study the weather in minute detail - mistshifting, fogprobing, researching the air blowing in from beyond the Edge. But some experiments are best left alone...

Published July 6th 2006 by Corgi Childrens (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Gloamglozer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Gloamglozer

Kaitlin
This was a really fun book which revolved around Maris (the daughter of the Most High Academe) and Quint (son of Wind Jackal who is the Captain Sky Pirate on the Galerider ship). These two characters are both intelligent, resourceful and full of life and fun which makes for an enjoyable storyline as their paths cross when Quint is Apprenticed to Maris' father.

This story has a lot of really cool things in it such as glass creatures (Tweezle), Gloamglozers (demon shape-shifters), Professors, Sky P
Sanaa
[5 Stars] Re-Read 2015
I adore this series so much, and this one along with Stormchaser may be my favorites of the bunch! I adore how whimsical, dark, beautiful, and haunting this series is. I also think the series has one of the most unique worlds ever! I love it! I particularly enjoyed the way this book subtly discusses mankind's tendency and wish to play god for lack of better word. I think the way it discusses science's capabilities and drawbacks and moral code in such an interesting way. I a
Mikayla
This is a great start to The Edge Chronicles and can't wait to start reading the second in the series (The Winter Knights). I'm excitedly waiting until it's delivered.

The writing is fantastic and the illustrations even more so. This book is utterly awesome, and good for all ages.

When reading review I was confused when people where saying this is the fourth book in the series. This is untrue, If you look in the books it will give you this order:

The Curse Of The Gloamglozer
The Winter Knights
Batt
Charlotte
I won a copy of this book as part of a goodreads first-reads giveaway, along with a postcard which I thought was lovely!

I entered the competition hoping to win a copy for my fourteen year old brother as it sounded exactly like something he would enjoying reading, it definitely looked like his kind of book.

So when I received my copy (thank you!) I gave it straight to my brother and he started reading it.

He said that he absolutely loved reading it and would give it more than 5 stars if he could.

I
Sandeep
I picked this book up from the kids' fantasy section because I'd seen first the book of maps of the Edge. Like with any good fantasy series - humorous or serious - a map is de rigeur and the detailing of the maps in the map-book piqued my fancy immediately. I browsed around till I found the book chronologically at the beginning of the timeline. This was it.

It's like Terry Pratchett without the actual satire. Which means its funny and engaging, but quite definitely no wheels within its wheels and
Elizabeth
I enjoyed reading this book. It’s a scary, suspenseful mystery. The plot isn’t anything complicated, but the parallel between Linius’s story and Quint’s own adventure is nail-biting. The creatures are wonderfully creepy (an eye-sucking blood-red monster and the ever-so-evil gloamglozer) and imaginative (a see-through butler bug! Little shards of flashing light! A lemkin!). The book takes place on an old site to the Edge Chronicles(Sanctaphrax) but there is still an element of newness (the stonec ...more
Star Shining Forever
Maris, lonely daughter of the Most High Academe of Sanctaphrax. Quint, ambitious son of a famed sky pirate. And the Gloamglozer that brings them together in the adventure of their lives.

This is a divided Sanctaphrax, with Sky-scholars in control and Earth-scholars in disregard. The Most High Academe, Linius, desires peace and cooperation between the factions, which makes him unpopular. Whispers, lies, plotting and intrigue fill every corner in the city.

Quint isn't happy about being left in the
Riana
Young Quint is the son of a sky pirate captain, the fearless Wind Jackal. Together, he and Quint roams the skies in a world called The Edge - a world where rocks are buoyant and controlling them can determine life or death. After Wind Jackal is requested by Sanctaphrax's leader to let Quint be trained as an apprentice, the boy learns some unsettling secrets about what is happening inside this great floating city.

This book is obviously aimed at younger readers, although the plot was complex enoug
Mallory
I adore these books! They make me soooooooooooooo happy! This one is probably my favoirite of the series. The relationship between Maris and Quint is really quite sweet, and the characters are always memorable. Kudos to the artist(s), I love the monster pictures. They are just soooo real! Good read for anyone who likes adventure with a good dash of gruesome creatures, brave heroes and heroines, and creepy monsters!!!
Marsha
Mr. Stewart has created a brand new world, one startling in its vision, scope and complexity. It takes a bit of getting used to, trying to sort out all the new names, terms and descriptions of its denizens, tools, artifacts and surroundings. But it’s worth hanging on while you get the gist of this amazing place called Sanctaphrax.

What elevates this “chronicle” above mere world building is Mr. Stewart’s equally adept storytelling capabilities. Alchemy, study, adventure, academics, et al., are jus
Vicky
Cute book. I love the illustrations, they follow the story exactly. I will certainly continue reading this series.
Mdv Wills
its one of my favourite books / series
Tushmit
I didn't enjoy this enough to give it 3 stars (two might have been more accurate) but I gave it the one extra star for creativity alone.

This world has one of the most usual yet detailed world-building I've ever come across. Unusual as in Lewis Carroll's worlds or Salman Rushdie's super-artsy-fantasy-story (like this or this) level of unusual, but unlike those books, the "Edge world" is much less arbitrary. Despite the whimsical nature of the world, it is clearly thought out, as clearly establish
An Odd1
Text "trembling like a wispen leaf" p 299 and art are both poetry as always. Fine detailed lines bring life to both a deserted awesome cavernous Great Library of bark-scrolls, and jolly woodtroll nursie (British, as in nannie) Welma whisking frothy light woodapple spiced scone batter. Mmm. Can smell and taste caramel crunchiness, then smoky charcoal remains. Funny later to imagine burnt buns progressing through transparent stomach tubes p 133. Pointy elfin ears, adorable button noses, kiss-pucke ...more
Alexis Neal
A fun young adult read--and even more notably, one that is truly appropriate for young adults and even children. Stewart steers clear of sex, profanity, and even violence for the most part (what violence there is tends toward the action variety rather than out-and-out gore). The characters are not terribly compelling, but then they aren't the main point of the story anyway. Stewart has created a complex and elaborate and incredibly original universe full of fascinating creatures and places. Libr ...more
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

This was quite an enjoyable fantasy book with well-written, interesting characters.

I liked the world created in this book. I also really liked Quint's character - though I wasn't too keen on Maris. She wasn't very likable for a lot of the book - and I didn't quite trust her change of heart when it came to Quint.

I really liked the illustrations in the book. I did think that the story was
Amber
Book 4 in The Edge Chronicles begins with a whole new cast of characters, and also takes place in a very different time. We begin with Quint, who is the son of a sky pirate, and Maris, who is the daughter of the Most High Academe Linius Pallitax. Quint, as Linius's new apprentice, has been caught up in the whirlwind of the Most High Academe's greatest and very mysterious obsession. Linius has been disappearing in the middle of the night into the dangerous, twisting, ever-changing tunnels leading ...more
Nat Howler
What if the world really were flat? Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle have created such a world, rich with dynamic illustrations. This world, known as The Edge, features weather that is far, far more elaborate and complex than the weather of our world. In fact, the weather is so complex that an entire city of academics has been built for the sole purpose of studying it and trying to understand it. This magnificent city, Sanctaphrax, sits atop a giant rock full of air pockets, which enable it to floa ...more
Amanda
Another really good Edge Chronicle book. However, when I first began reading, I was so confused. What had happened to Twig (the main character of the previous three Edge books) and how was the story taking place on Sanctaphrax? Was this story taking place before the other three? Or had they named the new floating rock Sanctiphrax also?

Finally, I searched online for answers. Apparently, out of the nine Edge books, only three are about Twig, and then three are about Twig's father and the other th
Charlyn  Trussell
Sep 02, 2009 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gr. 4 and up
What I learned from this book: Very quickly, I learned this was not a continuation of Twig's trials from Book 3. The setting is the same, but we have a new cast of characters and a new storyline. Quint, the son of a sky-pirate, has been apprenticed to his father's good friend, Linius Pallitax, a High Academe on Sanctaphrax. Linius' daughter, Maris, becomes jealous of the time Linius spend with Quint until she is drawn into helping Quint learn what Linius is doing in the depths of the rock. Liniu ...more
Justyn Rampa
"The Curse of the Gloamglozer" starts a new trilogy in "The Edge Chronicles" and definitely answers some questions that were raised in book one! I have identified some socio-political commentary in other books and the pattern still applies here. This book really concerns itself with gossip and the power of words, specifically with a somewhat political slant, think along the lines of slander for those holding office.

Of course, that is just one of many narrative threads in the novel, as it is full
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

Seldom does one come across an imagined world so fully formed as the one portrayed in The Edge Chronicles! This first book in the Chronicles introduces the reader to the magnificent floating city of Sanctaphrax – a place where the study of the sky and weather are of the utmost importance – and its quirky inhabitants. But the most learned and respected professor of them all – the Most High Academe – is about to take science too far in his quest for knowledge, and it is up
Cindy
I love this series! I love that there are so many different ideas being brought into a YA/children's series. This series introduces a young girl. Although people have said she's annoying or whiny. I didn't get that sense from her. Every book has that annoying whiny girl. There were times she annoyed me and there were times that others in the book annoyed me.

I definately cannot wait to see what happens in these books.

This book didn't have as disturbing things happen to the characters. Which wa
Alissa Bach
Just as creative and imaginative as Beyond the Deepwoods! (OK yes, I'm reading these books out of order, skipping from 1 to 4) Here we meet Twig's parents when they were no older than Twig in book 1: There's Quint, the son of a sky pirate who is both brave and shockingly niave. There's Maris, the fiesty and slightly spoiled daughter of the Most High Acadame. The two teens quickly manage to get into trouble WAY over their heads when Maris' father mistakenly awakens an ancient evil, The Gloamgloze ...more
Maddie
As of yet, I, myself, have not read this book however my brother has, of whom is an avid fantasy/adventure reader.

He was thoroughly impressed by this book and spoke about how intriguing and the gripping the plot was in the beginning. He enjoyed getting to know the characters and found the protagonist and companion characters to be very interesting and easy to empathise with.

On the other hand, the story line was said to have broken down slightly as the novel progressed; it was not major, merely s
Dorian
This is not a children's book by any stretch of the imagination. This is some next level shit right here. If you're looking for a book for your 11 year old, then this is the book for them. This entire series is filled with less innocent themes and scenes, but its story is one of the most wild and adventurous.
Definitely recommend for ages 10+
Jaemi
When I first picked up this book, I was completely lost, and turned back to the binding more than once to make sure this was indeed book 4. It was. And by the time I'd reached the end of The Curse of the Gloamglozer, I felt pretty silly for having been so lost, as it all becomes crystal clear. But after three books in succession that followed closely on each other's heels, for this to take such a turn and pick up nowhere near where the last had left off, it was a shock.

This is a story of earlier
Al

In the floating city of Sanctaphrax, fusty old professors scheme and bicker with each other as they study the weather in minute detail—mistsifting, fogprobing, researching the air blowing in from beyond the Edge. But some experiments are best left alone. . . .

Quint is the son of a sky pirate captain. He arrives in Sanctaphrax at the request of Linius Pallitax, the Most High Academe, who needs an apprentice he can trust to carry out a series of highly important tasks. Just how important, Quint

Kimberly
The Edge Chronicles series has some of the best world-building around and this volume is no exception. Every corner of the Edgelands is well developed, original, and with its own internal logic. I recommend it for anyone who appreciates a complex fantasy world, both kids and adults. It's also refreshing to see an action packed fantasy series that doesn't try to hide a morality lesson on every page.

It's helpful to know that the Edge Chronicles is really three trilogies, plus a handful of standalo
Jonathan Young
I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt but more of a 3.5. One of the slowest stories but sufficiently entertaining and had some of my favourite character interactions of the whole series.
Pivotal moments for Quint 1 2 Nov 11, 2014 08:22PM
  • The Dragon's Apprentice: The Dragonology Chronicles Volume 3
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Back To The Divide (The Divide, #2)
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
  • Even More Short & Shivery: Forty Five Spine Tingling Tales
  • A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2)
  • The Dark Planet (Atherton, #3)
  • Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles, #2)
  • The Sleeping Sword
  • Over åbent vand (Krigeren, #3)
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki
More about Paul Stewart...

The Edge Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5)
  • Vox (Edge Chronicles, #6)
  • Freeglader (Edge Chronicles, #7)
  • The Winter Knights (Edge Chronicles, #8)
  • Clash of the Sky Galleons (The Edge Chronicles, #9)
  • The Immortals (the Edge Chronicles, #10)
  • The Nameless One (The Edge Chronicles #11; Cade #1)
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3) The Winter Knights (Edge Chronicles, #8)