Start by marking “The Genius of Islam: How Muslims Made the Modern World” as Want to Read:
The Genius of Islam: How Muslims Made the Modern World

The Genius of Islam: How Muslims Made the Modern World

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Middle Ages were a period of tremendous cultural and scientific advancement in the Islamic Empire—ideas and inventions that shaped our world.
Did you know that:
• The numbers you use every day (Arabic numerals!) are a Muslim invention?
• The marching band you hear at football games has its roots in the Middle East?
• You are drinking orange juice at breakfast today thanks
Published April 5th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Genius of Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genius of Islam

Crystal
I enjoyed the facts throughout the book. The problem though is that sometimes the text is too fact heavy and I don't think it would keep the attention of children. It would work if an adult is reading portions aloud to a class or if a child skims and reads the parts that are of interest.

Interesting fact: Muslims had first hospitals. They were funded by the wealthy. Patients didn't get a bill at discharge, they got a stipend.
Quinn Rollins
As a 21st Century American, my view of the world tends to marginalize the contributions of the Muslim citizens of history. Part of that might be current events, but a bigger part of it is that most of us were never taught what Muslims brought to the encounters between East and West. Author and artist Bryn Barnard aims to fill some of that gap in our knowledge with the 2011 picture book The Genius of Islam: How Muslims Made the Modern World.

The 36 page hardcover opens with a timeline that spans
Mustafa Afridi
Though written primarily for children at the middle school level, 'The Genius of Islam' can be an informative and pleasurable read even for adults thanks to Barnard's simple (but not dumbed down) writing and lovely,colourful illustrations.
James
It is a very easy to read book with a lot of good, dense information. It can also teach people that muslims aren't only people who practice their own religion, but very inquisitive inventors.
Gphatty
This is a nice, child-accessible history of scientific & cultural developments that Islam has contributed to modern society. As an adult, I didn't much care for the "Did you know . . . ?" introductions of each section -- probably designed as hooks for a younger reader to keep reading -- but the concepts and inventions discussed in the book are well chosen, occasionally surprising (even for adults) and not terribly pedantic. Good lists of facts, dates, and a decent index. (I didn't check ever ...more
Usman
Sep 06, 2013 Usman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: islam
It is a nice little book on its subject. It doesn't boast about Islamic endeavors as is the case with usual writers on this subject. Beautifully illustrated, it just tells how the people of a particular era reformed the world through their endeavors, a people whose religion was Islam.

Muslim writers often write on this subject and I was skeptical about their claims, but now this book has changed my mind. Again, being a Muslim, I will take it as something "ours", because all intellectuality is a c
Mills College Library
297.2 B2593 2011
Diane Bell
During the dark ages, Islamic nations were thriving with culture, learning, wealth, and creativity. They invented the modern book format, instruments, and scientific principles. All of these innovations are still used today. How else did this religion and its nations influence our modern world?
Maria
I had no idea that the Islamic world had made so many contributions to modern society. Great read for ages 9-12. Could be a useful tool for elementary and middle school teachers who desire to celebrate diversity in the classroom.
Mary
I found it very odd that the history told in this book ended before the Middle Ages. Then it concluded with the statement that "Europe set out to deliberately forget its Islamic heritage."
Rachel
This is an important part of history that needs to be told, but the tone of the text is to forceful and the flow of ideas is often difficult to understand.
Edward Sullivan
Excellent overview of the many artistic, cultural, and scientific contributions of Islamic civilization to the westerrn world.
Susan
An excellent reminder of the knowledge that the 'ancient' cultures had long before the modern re-discovery of them.
Ahmad Ali
not bad of a book, but not really my favourite book. 3 stars is good for me.
Husnah Naim
Excellence book to introduce children on Islamic civilization!
Ms Yao
Ms Yao added it
Dec 02, 2014
NileReader
NileReader marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Zahra
Zahra marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Saad
Saad marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Outbreak! Plagues That Changed History Dangerous Planet: Natural Disasters That Changed History Les Dinosaures Night of the Milky Way Railway The Well of Sacrifice