Maverick's Mate (Brac Pack, #1)

Maverick's Mate (Brac Pack #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,535 ratings  ·  92 reviews
[#342 Siren Everlasting Classic ManLove: Erotic Alternative Paranormal Romance, M/M, werewolves]

Cecil Walter was living a life no one would wish on their enemy in an abusive relationship with his partner with no way o...more
Published February 25th 2011 by Siren-Bookstrand, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Maverick's Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maverick's Mate

With Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
91st out of 652 books — 927 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesFatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
M/M Romance Series
40th out of 343 books — 346 voters

More lists with this book...

Sans
Gods damn it. I had a lovely review that clearly delineated my multitude of problems with this "book" and I lost it. Excuse me while I break something.

Ok, short version then. Avoid at all costs. The plot was thin-to-non-existent, the characters were flatter than my singing voice, the conflict was cringe-worthy, the sex was either highly disturbing or laughable (often both), the pairings made me very uncomfortable, the writing made me want to cry and take a large red marker to fix all the mistake...more
Jess
Myristica Myristica
May 12, 2011 Myristica Myristica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Myristica by: No one
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Okay! Before all my friends start throwing rotten fruits and vegetables at me, hear me out, okay?! ROFL.

This story wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I mean, it takes some serious, and I do mean serious, shit to make me hate a book enough to give it less than three stars and to be completely honest, it wasn't so bad. There's one word to describe this book and it's fluff.

My best advice to anyone looking to read this one is to not expect much. If you're looking to read something with an extravagan...more
M/mromanceaddict
Prett soon I'm going to stop buying any books put out by Siren Publishing because they seem to all be cut from the same cookie cutter. This book's plotline was signature Stormy Glenn and Joyee Flynn if I've ever read any books of theirs(and I have, around 30 total). It's like they write for straight profit and not pleasure.
Mistral
Sep 10, 2011 Mistral rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Mistral by: I have only myself to blame
This is one of the worst books I've read this year: plot non-existent, characters not well developed, poor editing.
In the first chapter Maverick hypnotizes his mate and claims him while the other man is sleeping... mate or not, this scene is really disturbing!
Allybaba
The one star is generous...This was pretty bad and I can be pretty forgiving of poor editing, strange plot twists, etc., but this went beyond that and into the realm of - formulaic plot, forgettable characters, bad dialogue and the list goes on...

This was so bad I actually bought the 2nd book in the series because I thought it was a fluke...the 2nd book had to be better...give the author a chance...maybe it was just 1st book inexperience.

Ha...what a joke that one made my eyes bleed - it was eve...more
MandyM
Poor example of 'insta-love', formulaic plotting and shallow, dubious characters.
Deanna
It's so bad that I have to keep reading the series
adrienne
typical lynn hagen serial romance. nothing fantastic, nothing so bad it can't be finished. what is typical lynn hagen? imagine a shorter harlequin romance but with no t&a (see, i was going to write no surprise pregnancies, but... yeah.).

out of sheer laziness, i will be using this as my template for all books by :
lynn hagen
stormy glenn
scarlett hyacinth
carol lynne
gabrielle evans

unless otherwise noted. i'd apologize, but i'm not sorry. i figure it's about as much time as they put into their bo...more
Absynthe
This is more a statement on the whole series than this one book.

The reason I keep giving this series mostly 2s:

1) Plot inconsistencies. Huge, gaping ones that you could sale a catamaran through. This is probably what drives me craziest because they're so blatant.

2) Things that are never explained. For example, it works one way for all the members of a species but a totally different way for the one member living in Maverick's house. Why?!!? I get the feeling the author wants the characters to li...more
Finn Marlowe
Ery
Blech....just blech.
Asteropê
I did not like the first encounter Maverick had with Cecil. Honestly, if someone did that in the real world, they'd be charged with sexual assault and/or rape.

I can understand following Cecil to see where he lived so he could find his mate later and send Sentries to protect him. I get that. What I don't get is why Maverick had Cecil in a "trance" as the book said and had sex with him. I don't care if Cecil said "more" or gave encouragement. He didn't know what he was doing! After it was done an...more
Phaney
May 23, 2013 Phaney rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
2011 Review:

… Guh!

It’s just entirely skipping events. (view spoiler)
These sorts of things are irritating because they destroy t...more
Karen K
Shelley
This book was my introduction to Lynn Hagen stories and The Brac Universe (Brac Pack, Brac village, Christian's Coven, Demon Warriors, Zues's Pack and The Exiled) and it got me hooked. If you're a fan of paranormal shifter stories in general and the mate trope in particular there really aren't going to be any surprises here: There's the recognition of a mate by scent, the over protectiveness, the possessiveness, the Alpha male shifter and his less dominant mate and all the things a fan of the ge...more
Candice
Ummm...no.

Sorry, but there was so much missing info. (view spoiler)...more
Gwengwel
I'm not going to repeat what I already wrote while reading the book.
However I'm going to add thatthe fact that Maverick rape Cecil and it's doesn't seems to bother him and add to that that it's never mentioned again, it's not something that I can accept in a personage.
Veronica / Miss V
After reading the reviews, I didn't have great expectations with this book. But, I wanted to read it as it is part of the series. Shocking beginning, I must say the no consent sex was a killer for me, and Cecil ..Oh boy he needs to grow some balls

Nicole
Breaking into a stranger's house and having non-consensual sex is rape. Let's not sugarcoat it with excuses of belonging together because they're mates. I skipped through most of this book. This was just another bodice ripper for me.
Clover
nice shifters story. if you can go through the instalove it's a good way to spend time !
ReviewerLarissa
Damn this book is so bad, both plot & character wise it's not even funny.
Kerry  sullivan
This is the summary off the back of the book.
Maverick Brac has formed a pack of his own, naming them the Brac Pack. With fourteen men under him, they all have one thing in common, the preference for men. Cecil Walter was living a life no one would wish on their enemy in an abusive relationship with his partner with no way out. Getting away from pack problems and a migraine, Maverick indulges in his one secret love, Chai tea. While in the coffee shop trying to forget the world outside exists f...more
Serena Yates
I liked this book as a start to a new series. While the werewolf Maverick and his human mate, Cecil, are clearly the focus characters, a lot of the others in their "gay pack" are also introduced, and we get some background about the world these particular werewolves live in.

Maverick is, in many ways, a typical Alpha. Domineering, insisting that his rules be obeyed, and feeling responsible for the men in his care. He is also vulnerable when it comes to his mate, but is not willing to compromise....more
Alicia Nordwell
I read this story, then 4 more in the Brac Pac series. I felt like, as the first book in the series, Maverick's Mate laid down some groundwork, but it wasn't a great story in and of itself. There were typos first off, which wacked off a star right off the top. I also felt that it was formulaic, however, I happen to like that formula type of story and enjoy watching where various authors take it. This could have been a bit more original, because the main aspect of that is how the supernatural wor...more
Andre
This was the first book of the Brac Pack series I read and so I was pretty much a blank slate back then. I doubt that I would read it again since it wasn't really interesting. Furthermore I already thought back then that the whole mate-warrior relationship is rather romanticized and Maverick's attitude towards mates rather abusive (demanding his mate to be standing next to him and be silent), which makes me think how the average mate is actually treated in this universe. Sure it was stated that...more
Jeanne
I read this story after a very DARK one. I needed a light and fluffy type book. This story was decent. I will probably eventually get around to reading more of this series. It was predicable and the two main MC's hook up fast.

Maverick is the Alpha of his pack. None of the men have found the man of their dreams aka their mate. Then Maverick stumbles upon his (tiny) human mate at the local coffee shop. He follows him home and hooks up with him. Maverick ends up meeting up with his mate, Cecil, th...more
Elisa Rolle
I decided to start this series from the first book even if the author has already published more than 10 books in the same series. And I’m glad I did that since I was able to understand the settings Lynn Hagen has outlined, more or less a pack of shapeshifter timber wolf made of 1 Alpha, 1 Beta, 1 Commander and 12 warriors, 15 men in total, and I think the author is heading out to write a story for each of them.

The first book is pretty classic, big Alpha man who is waiting for his mate and once...more
reading order 2 9 Sep 17, 2013 01:45PM
  • Love, Always, Promise (Wolf Creek Pack, #5)
  • Leap of Faith (Moonlight Breed, #1)
  • Victor (Marius Brothers, #4)
  • Kinky Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies, #3)
  • Determined Mate (Holland Brothers, #2)
  • August
  • Winner Takes All: Master/Slave Fantasies by Christopher Pierce
Lynn Hagen loves writing about the somewhat flawed, but lovable. She also loves a hero who can see past all the rough edges to find the shining diamond of a beautiful heart.

You can find her on any given day curled up with her laptop and a cup of hot java, letting the next set of characters tell their story.
More about Lynn Hagen...
Hawk's Pretty Baby (Brac Pack, #2) Nutter Nero (Brac Pack, #12) Remi's Pup (Brac Pack, #4) Sunshine’s Savior (Brac Pack, #3) Montana's Vamp (Brac Pack, #16)