Conamara Blues

Conamara Blues

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Conamara in the West of Ireland has a strange and beautiful landscape - a landscape of intense contrasts uniquely dependent on light and shade. In daylight, a subtle radiance of gentle colours envelops the place. Yet on the threshold of darkness, the fading light reveals an almost haunted vista of mysterious beauty.In this exquisitely crafted collection of poetry, John O'D...more
Published 2001 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2000)

timv
One of my favorite poets. accessible lyrics with earthy metaphors. for you John O'Donoghue fans -- check out the "Speaking of Faith" website. There is a wonderful interview with with him there -- and you can also download a few of his poems being read by John himself which, as far as I can tell, a rarity.
Marianne
Jun 08, 2014 Marianne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Marianne by: an Irish priest
A friend gave this to me abt six weeks ago and I have been carrying it all over Ireland ever since.

So beautiful. Each poem sings to me.

Here's a very short one, "Fluent" (that I read while having bacon and cabbage at Lincoln's Inn in Dublin, earlier today -- the waitress stopped to chat with me when she noticed that I was reading poetry.)

I would love to live
Like a river flows,
Carried by the surprise
Of its own unfolding.
writer...
John O’Donohue’s second book of 82 poems follows the same format as his first, ‘Echoes of Memory’, this one having three sections, each introduced by poetic or philosophic thoughts authored by others.

Approachings and Distances artistically explore a variety of elemental life themes, while Encounters focuses on the full spectrum of Christ’s life from annunciation to coronation. A beautifully expressed journey for the spirit, there is much here for contemplative reflection.

‘The Nativity’ was one...more
Daniel
The poetry was beautiful, but not very accessible without really working to picture all the images in the mind's eye. Beautiful writing, to be sure, and a great collection of O'Donohue's poems, but I perhaps wasn't in the right place in life to be reading them.
Alison
A poet and scholar whose words reach far beyond the mind and far down into the soul. A delicate and mystical embrace of humanity and vivid evocations of the colors of nature. For me, his work is imbued with holiness, no matter the subject.
Kathryn
Individual poems in this collection are really beautiful, but I wanted the language to be more surprising. It did make me want to read some of his philosophy/theology though, he seems to have seen the world in a really beautiful way
Rita
So. Lots of nature imagery. A little bit of banshee, a solid taste of celtic flavor. I paged it twice, it is short and sweet. Also, if you read this, please note the especially delicious poem about a river and unfolding.
Willa Grant
Oct 08, 2009 Willa Grant rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiona
More wonderful poetry from this gifted man. This book of poetry is about the people & area around where he lives & is vivid & touching. I like his poems about the rosary as well.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Khadija
Khadija marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Paige Haase
Paige Haase marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Lesley-anne Evans
Lesley-anne Evans marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
linda scarlett
linda scarlett marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.
More about John O'Donohue...
Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings Eternal Echoes: Celtic Reflections on Our Yearning to Belong Beauty: The Invisible Embrace Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace