Start by marking “Writing That Works, 3e: How to Communicate Effectively in Business” as Want to Read:
Writing That Works, 3e: How to Communicate Effectively in Business

Writing That Works, 3e: How to Communicate Effectively in Business

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Writing That Works will help you say what you want to say, with less difficulty and more confidence. Now in its third edition, this completely updated classic has been expanded to included all new advice on e-mail and the e-writing world, plus a fresh point of view on political correctness. With dozens of examples, many of them new, and useful tips for writing as well as f ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Collins Reference (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Writing That Works, 3e, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing That Works, 3e

Josephine
I bought a copy of Kenneth Roman and Joel Raphaelson’s Writing That Works because advertising legend, David Ogilvy, recommended it to his staff at his ad agency, Ogilvy & Mather, in a memo he issued back in 1982.

I write for a living, so I took note.

A lot of what Ogilvy suggested made sense.

And a lot of what’s covered in Writing That Works makes sense, too.

Actually, it made so much sense that I wound up having a really good, constructive conversation with the CEO at work about the direction w
Matthew
Mar 17, 2013 Matthew rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Friends
Recommended to Matthew by: Nick Rosa
Shelves: non-fiction
I generally like anyone from Ogilvy - as these two authors are. They actually edited one of my favorite books of all time: The Unpublished David Ogilvy. The best piece of advice the book delivered, however, was not about writing but about speaking: when giving a speech imagine you are in a one-on-one conversation. I recently tried it and I felt more effective as a speaker. The same tip probably works for writing.
Phil Simon
This book would have done better to focus on one area or two. By attempting to cover email, presentations, resumes, proposals, and a swath of other areas in 180 pages, the book ultimately fails. What's more, I found the material to be pretty basic. I hate to be critical, but presentations require separate texts. This book just covers major areas in a rather perfunctory manner.
Book Calendar
Eric Reidsma
Hi my name is Eric and I’m bad at writing, so I read Writing that Works; How to communicate effectively in business. This book encourages being brief and straight to the point. I like how it said, “more people are talking like they write, but we should write more like we talk”. And regarding emails; before hitting send try delete. I read the 3rd edition and it is somewhat outdated but worthwhile.
Keeko
Solid and helpful. I came across it when I was looking at an article by David Ogilvy on the Communication Arts website. Ogilivy was the founder of the ad agency, Ogilvy and Mather, and he is known for using writing as an advertising tool. He made copywriting significant and cool. Ogilvy believed and proved that if the writing is good, people will read it. In the article, he advises to read this book three times.

If you want to write effectively, this book will show you how. There's also a sectio
Stephen Simpson
This book appears to be aimed primarily for those new to business / professional writing, and I believe this would be a good book for undergrads. For someone already working as a professional writer, there is not as much to glean from it apart from a few reminders regarding brevity, word choice, and so on.
Shaz
Great book which is short yet succinct in its points. Definitely a must read if you want to improve your writing.
Kate
Jun 22, 2014 Kate marked it as to-buy  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by david ogilvy in ogilvy on advertising
Tracy McKibben
There's a lot of good writing tips and advice between the covers of this book. Actually, more precisely, there's a lot of good COMMUNICATION tips between its covers. I've been actively applying some of them to my email communications over the past few days, and I've noticed a difference in the level of response they've generated and a lesser degree of "back-and-forth" trying to get a message across.

Looking forward to trying to apply more of the advice to my other forms of writing and presentatio
Joe Miller
Probably best for writers who are a tad weak generally or for those who find themselves getting promoted into a position where a lot of writing is required. I picked this up for tips on improving my business writing skills -- I was particularly looking for tips on writing tighter summaries. Writing the Works was aimed at those who still require convincing that writing well is important. There was a lot of good stuff in here, but it was pretty much all stuff that I used to tell my Rhetoric 100 st ...more
Neil Renicker
Nice primer on simplicity and clarity in business writing. The sections on technology are a little frumpy, but the principles are all still valid.

I most enjoyed the last few chapters on how to edit documents effectively.

Recommended, but not essential.
Lea
Easy to read (which should be expected since it is about writing well) and useful. The 2000 version is slightly outdated but does address some key elements of writing in email.

I dog-eared and underlined all over this book and plan to share some of the tips with others at the office. I hope it will help people see the value of editing, slowing down and preciseness.
Uwe Hook
I would recommend this book basically to everyone. Since e-mail is regarded as "informal" it really makes a difference when someone actually takes the time to check spelling, grammar, and overall tone, and this book is full of useful tips to do just that. It's not very long so it's easy to read it periodically.
Elizabeth Olson
A good refresher course on the basic rules of grammar and of writing clearly, with particular focus on business communication, especially newer modern means like email. Still, you can't beat Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style" -- still the Bible for good writing, as far as I'm concerned.
Darren White
You already know all the techniques from this book; you've just forgotten them. "Writing That Works" is a brief reference book that helps tighten your business writing. Most MBA programs could hand this out and toss out a business communication course. It's a good book to keep on your desk.
Rodrigo Bressane
This book is a great guide on "dos" and "dont's" when it comes to writing. It covers an extensive number of writing needs, from casual letters to customer service and business inquiries. A great reference on how good writing can be achieved by following simple, yet efficient rules.
Abdulaziz Alzain
Every time I read a book about writing well or how to become a better writer at work I learn something new. This book is one of them! Its very helpful for better at work such as: emails, memos, speeches...etc. I recommend reading this book.
Patrick
Doug Engel
If you have to do any kind of writing, whatsoever, for your job please read this book.
Rscarff
Some of this stuff is just good manners. Probably a good book for graduating high school seniors who are interested in pursuing a career in business.
Alex Ott
There are some useful advices, but it pretty outdated, especially when they try to describe electronic communications...
Deb Oestreicher
A decent primer from a business perspective, but nothing terribly enlightening.
Srikar Doddi
Some chapters are not relevant and feel outdated, otherwise, mostly good advice.
Marco
A good starting point to learn a little better English writing.
Penny
Had a few good pointers, and good as a quick reference guide.
Gregory
Solid advice but quite dated as this third revision was done in 2000.
Joan Nehls
Great tips for business communication.
Anastasia
It doesn't say anything you don't know already.
Amy
Read Strunk & White instead.
  • Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • The Little Red Writing Book: 20 Powerful Principles of Structure, Style, and Readability
  • Words that Sell
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • Plot
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • World-Building
The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising Writing That Works, 3e: How to Communicate Effectively in Business How to Advertise: Building Brands and Businesses in the New Marketing World The New How To Advertise David Ogilvy