Start by marking “Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut” as Want to Read:
Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut

Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut

Whether viewed as villain or victim, outcast or rebel, the High School Slut remains a figure of fascination--and more than a touch of fear. Full of quirky insights into sexual standards and practices, Fast Girls is a journey into the dark side of the teenage years, a revealing study of American society.
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Girls

Kim Teeple
Jul 28, 2007 Kim Teeple rated it liked it
I loaned this to some guy and never got it back.
Heh, just like my virginity...
Sheryl
Jan 20, 2012 Sheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The book was very interesting, but it didn't answer the one question that I wanted answered.

Why is it that a certain type of girl (popular, everyone adores) can be one of the biggest sluts in school and no one uters a word against her. In fact she has more friends than everyone. But if another girl who has never even had sex before gets labled a slut and rumors go crazy and the poor girl's self esteem is trashed.

I hated jr high and high school because of the cruelity that abounds. It was bad whe
Jason
Nov 24, 2007 Jason rated it it was ok
As someone already mentioned the "research" was weak but when the writer admitted to unauthorized observation of minors in a public high school it approached unethical.

I would give this book only one star but the subject matter is so important. Hopefully someone with real sociological/psychological knowledge will take up the treatment of these young women.

It also didn't help White's book that I previously read Dead Boys Can't Dance which addresses a similar issue: suicide and sexual orientatio
Julie
Jan 27, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it
To save you some time, I'll briefly summarize:

Blahblahblah,there's a slut in every high school! Blahblah, here's what this other book has to say about it. Blahblahblah pointless interview with woman who was known as slut. Blahblah, no new or meaningful insight whatsoever.

Yawn.

To say I'm disappointed in this book would be an understatement. I had such high hopes when I started reading, and it fell terribly short of my expectations. It's basically a rehash of a bunch of writings from other people,
Phyllis
Sep 08, 2007 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who knew "sluts" in middle school
This might help you understand what was going on with the girl who was supposedly "the school slut" at the age of 13. Think back on what other kids were saying about her. How realistic was it? Think about her home situation. Did she seem to have less money than the popular kids? Did she develop early? What was her ethnicity? If those questions are making you think, you'll get something out of this book.
William Finke
Aug 21, 2014 William Finke rated it liked it
Shelves: society

The title holds out hope of better understanding of: fast girls, teenage tribes, and, the myth of the slut. Many will have some kind of connection to someone so labelled, or might be someone so labelled. Likely we became implicated in some way in high school, or were an uncomfortable witness.

On the cusp of dawning sexual maturity, the middle ground is likely to be occupied by girls competing via a well rounded but attractive appeal. They would expect to pair up with boys on their way to being me
Peacegal
Nov 18, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
We all remember those days, unfortunately. There were the popular kids, the jocks, the nerds---and there was the "easy" girl. What did it mean to walk down the hallway in her shoes?

This book is about girls who were saddled with this identity, not just about those who were simply called crude sexual terms as just another aspect of bullying. Sexually-charged insults are the bread and butter of teen bullying; a bullied student may be called a "lesbo" in one class, a "virgin" in the next, and a "who
Talitha (Victorian Soul)
My memory's a bit foggy on this one- I read it during my stint as a high school student. The best thing about this book is it makes you think about labels- and for me, that was helpful, having been labeled 'noob' and only fit to be friends with boys or those fellow 'noobs' from other schools. Mean Girls was disturbingly accurate about some things, likely more so than this book.
amy
Aug 19, 2010 amy added it
Shelves: swapped
If I were still in college, this would have been a great addition to the reading list for Psych 80D - Human Sexuality (and in fact she does cite names I remember from Psychology and Sociology classes, like Irigaray, Jung, Freud, and Foucault). I think the title is perhaps purposely provocative, because it's really a study of the way teenagers in particular attempt to create an 'other,' a target that defines what not to be and places themselves on the side of what is right. Later chapters describ ...more
Cara
Jul 09, 2009 Cara rated it it was ok
Shelves: micro-lens
I was prepared for this book to be some sort of groundbreaking revelation as to the "why" of the archetype of the "high school slut" and I was pretty disappointed by the actual text. There did not seem to be a point to this book, other than a base description of having put an ad out asking for stories and hearing some pretty awful things. All in all, I found the book to be a vague overview of things I knew before I read it. It did not seem like any new ideas were brought to the table.
Mari
Oct 07, 2008 Mari rated it liked it
Summer
Feb 25, 2008 Summer rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender-studies, 2008
Best read as a companion to Leora Tanenbaum's Slut : growing up female with a bad reputation - this title is more general than the latter, to the point of almost meandering, but gives good possible reasons for the "slut" mythology and goes deeper into sociological and gender theory, for better or for worse.
Beth
Mar 19, 2008 Beth rated it it was ok
A lot of books on this subject make me feel like I'm reading A Guide to Thinking: For Dummies. However well-intentioned it may have been, I found this book condescending, judgmental and incredibly naive. It might be a more interesting read if you haven't exhausted this subject on your own, but it left me disappointed and irritated.
ONTD Feminism
Nov 14, 2010 ONTD Feminism rated it really liked it
LJ user bloodrivendream says, "It is about "The Myth of the Slut." Deconstructing the archetype of the slut. The different girls that get labelled as such. Their experience. I read the book when I was about 14 and it made me want to read more non-fiction and more books with feminist focus. Probably most useful to those new to the movement but I recommend it to anyone."
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it
This book is far inferior to Leora Tanenbaum's book on the subject, SLUT : Growing Up Female With a Bad Reputation. Tanenbaum blends many of the same statistics and conclusions with case studies that make her book more interesting, more readable, and treats her subjects with more respect and integrity.
Salsabrarian
Through interviews with women and girls, and citing various published works, the author examines the archetype of the school slut and discusses the settings that lead to kids labeling a girl with that role and torturing her about it. Suburban boredom, fear of loneliness or not being part of a group, and sexual abuse are among the issues discussed as roots of the problem.
Martine
Nov 30, 2014 Martine rated it it was ok
So shallow. A few stories about girls who had rumors about them in high school, which were not based on fact. Some of them say they were abused as kids, which the author says may or may not be true. And they're usually white. That's all she covers in over 200 pages.
Tori
Jun 24, 2008 Tori rated it it was amazing
Any woman who ever felt "fast" and different for being more outgoing sexually than her peers will find solace in this book. Borrowed and affirmed by many of my friends, I think this book was well written and has a great place in society balancing out so many books that say the opposite.
Steffie Corcoran
Dec 22, 2012 Steffie Corcoran rated it liked it
A book that could have been, with more primary source material. As is, there is very little foundation in the specifics of individual slut experiences, which would have made the lengthy forays into archetype more meaningful.
N.
Jan 28, 2008 N. rated it liked it
Shelves: half-done
Saw this around the GLBT section so I read half of it. Somewhat interesting, but I didn't feel like I learned anything new. Maybe I'll check it out again somtime.
Lauren Kolozak
Dec 29, 2012 Lauren Kolozak rated it liked it
An eye-opening exploration in the origins of "the slut" and the stories of the girls branded by this name.
christine
Aug 18, 2008 christine rated it it was ok
i had hoped this would be more illuminating than it was. There's nothing we didn't really know already brought to light in this book.
J.
Oct 10, 2012 J. rated it liked it
This nonfiction book focuses on the myth of and very real challenges faced by the "school slut"; heartfelt, intense, must-read for those who work with young women or girls.
Krista
Jun 11, 2009 Krista rated it liked it
So far this book is quite the page turner. As a high-school slut, this resonates with me intensely.
Blitsterman
May 30, 2008 Blitsterman rated it liked it
Interesting to see how incorrect peoples' thinking can be just by viewing how some girls carry themselves.
James
Dec 21, 2011 James rated it did not like it
Most of the stories in this book don't ring true,
My guess is that most are made up.

A non-fiction novel?
or a literary fraud?
Jessica
Aug 23, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
It was an interesting topic that I have never really considered before, but I thought that the writing was lacking that quality which would have made it a really good book.
Amanda
Aug 31, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
This started out promising, then I think it started to read/feel like a few other books I've read before on similar topics.
Ayelet Waldman
As someone who suffered by being branded the school slut for absolutely no good reason, I was desperate to read this book. It's pretty good. Read what I have to say about it in the SF Chronicle.
Kat
Sep 30, 2015 Kat rated it it was ok
Scattered, aimless. Half-baked in its endeavors and seems to give up on its mission halfway through. Disappointed in this one.
  • Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation
  • The Female Thing: Dirt, Sex, Envy, Vulnerability
  • Woman's Inhumanity to Woman
  • The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Virginity Lost: An Intimate Portrait of First Sexual Experiences
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Unhooked: How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love, and Lose at Both
  • The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe
  • College Girls: Bluestockings, Sex Kittens, and Co-eds, Then and Now
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
  • Strength Training for Women