Start by marking “Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut” as Want to Read:
Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut

Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Whether viewed as villain or victim, outcast or rebel, the High School Slut remains a figure of fascination--and more than a touch of fear. Full of quirky insights into sexual standards and practices, Fast Girls is a journey into the dark side of the teenage years, a revealing study of American society.
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Girls

Kim Teeple
I loaned this to some guy and never got it back.
Heh, just like my virginity...
Sheryl
The book was very interesting, but it didn't answer the one question that I wanted answered.

Why is it that a certain type of girl (popular, everyone adores) can be one of the biggest sluts in school and no one uters a word against her. In fact she has more friends than everyone. But if another girl who has never even had sex before gets labled a slut and rumors go crazy and the poor girl's self esteem is trashed.

I hated jr high and high school because of the cruelity that abounds. It was bad whe
Jason
As someone already mentioned the "research" was weak but when the writer admitted to unauthorized observation of minors in a public high school it approached unethical.

I would give this book only one star but the subject matter is so important. Hopefully someone with real sociological/psychological knowledge will take up the treatment of these young women.

It also didn't help White's book that I previously read Dead Boys Can't Dance which addresses a similar issue: suicide and sexual orientatio
Julie
To save you some time, I'll briefly summarize:

Blahblahblah,there's a slut in every high school! Blahblah, here's what this other book has to say about it. Blahblahblah pointless interview with woman who was known as slut. Blahblah, no new or meaningful insight whatsoever.

Yawn.

To say I'm disappointed in this book would be an understatement. I had such high hopes when I started reading, and it fell terribly short of my expectations. It's basically a rehash of a bunch of writings from other people,
Phyllis
Sep 08, 2007 Phyllis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who knew "sluts" in middle school
This might help you understand what was going on with the girl who was supposedly "the school slut" at the age of 13. Think back on what other kids were saying about her. How realistic was it? Think about her home situation. Did she seem to have less money than the popular kids? Did she develop early? What was her ethnicity? If those questions are making you think, you'll get something out of this book.
William Finke

The title holds out hope of better understanding of: fast girls, teenage tribes, and, the myth of the slut. Many will have some kind of connection to someone so labelled, or might be someone so labelled. Likely we became implicated in some way in high school, or were an uncomfortable witness.

On the cusp of dawning sexual maturity, the middle ground is likely to be occupied by girls competing via a well rounded but attractive appeal. They would expect to pair up with boys on their way to being me
amy
Jan 20, 2012 amy added it
Shelves: swapped
If I were still in college, this would have been a great addition to the reading list for Psych 80D - Human Sexuality (and in fact she does cite names I remember from Psychology and Sociology classes, like Irigaray, Jung, Freud, and Foucault). I think the title is perhaps purposely provocative, because it's really a study of the way teenagers in particular attempt to create an 'other,' a target that defines what not to be and places themselves on the side of what is right. Later chapters describ ...more
Shantilly
Finally a book about young women that doesn't totally ignore intersectionality!
Cara
I was prepared for this book to be some sort of groundbreaking revelation as to the "why" of the archetype of the "high school slut" and I was pretty disappointed by the actual text. There did not seem to be a point to this book, other than a base description of having put an ad out asking for stories and hearing some pretty awful things. All in all, I found the book to be a vague overview of things I knew before I read it. It did not seem like any new ideas were brought to the table.
Mari
ONTD Feminism
LJ user bloodrivendream says, "It is about "The Myth of the Slut." Deconstructing the archetype of the slut. The different girls that get labelled as such. Their experience. I read the book when I was about 14 and it made me want to read more non-fiction and more books with feminist focus. Probably most useful to those new to the movement but I recommend it to anyone."
Beth
A lot of books on this subject make me feel like I'm reading A Guide to Thinking: For Dummies. However well-intentioned it may have been, I found this book condescending, judgmental and incredibly naive. It might be a more interesting read if you haven't exhausted this subject on your own, but it left me disappointed and irritated.
Summer
Best read as a companion to Leora Tanenbaum's Slut : growing up female with a bad reputation - this title is more general than the latter, to the point of almost meandering, but gives good possible reasons for the "slut" mythology and goes deeper into sociological and gender theory, for better or for worse.
This book is far inferior to Leora Tanenbaum's book on the subject, SLUT : Growing Up Female With a Bad Reputation. Tanenbaum blends many of the same statistics and conclusions with case studies that make her book more interesting, more readable, and treats her subjects with more respect and integrity.
Tori
Any woman who ever felt "fast" and different for being more outgoing sexually than her peers will find solace in this book. Borrowed and affirmed by many of my friends, I think this book was well written and has a great place in society balancing out so many books that say the opposite.
Steffie Corcoran
A book that could have been, with more primary source material. As is, there is very little foundation in the specifics of individual slut experiences, which would have made the lengthy forays into archetype more meaningful.
Jessica
This is mostly a reaffirming book but there are a few things in there I hadn't realized or had anyone point out to me before.
A must read for anyone that works with teens, male or female.
Ayelet Waldman
As someone who suffered by being branded the school slut for absolutely no good reason, I was desperate to read this book. It's pretty good. Read what I have to say about it in the SF Chronicle.
Jessica
It was an interesting topic that I have never really considered before, but I thought that the writing was lacking that quality which would have made it a really good book.
J.
This nonfiction book focuses on the myth of and very real challenges faced by the "school slut"; heartfelt, intense, must-read for those who work with young women or girls.
N.
Saw this around the GLBT section so I read half of it. Somewhat interesting, but I didn't feel like I learned anything new. Maybe I'll check it out again somtime.
christine
i had hoped this would be more illuminating than it was. There's nothing we didn't really know already brought to light in this book.
Amanda
This started out promising, then I think it started to read/feel like a few other books I've read before on similar topics.
James
Most of the stories in this book don't ring true,
My guess is that most are made up.

A non-fiction novel?
or a literary fraud?
Blitsterman
Interesting to see how incorrect peoples' thinking can be just by viewing how some girls carry themselves.
Lauren Kolozak
An eye-opening exploration in the origins of "the slut" and the stories of the girls branded by this name.
Krista
So far this book is quite the page turner. As a high-school slut, this resonates with me intensely.
Casey
Good book, but if you've ever taken a feminist theory course, you've essentially already read it.
Mandy Henderson
Had to read for a papaer in college. Interesting book but not the most exciting book.
Siouxsie
Sep 26, 2007 Siouxsie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: provacteur
Grabbing introspection on the tales of the school slut - their purpose and resonance.
  • Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation
  • Sex Work: Writings by Women in the Sex Industry
  • Virginity Lost: An Intimate Portrait of First Sexual Experiences
  • Unhooked: How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love, and Lose at Both
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
  • Ophelia Speaks: Adolescent Girls Write About Their Search for Self
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Transforming a Rape Culture
  • College Girls: Bluestockings, Sex Kittens, and Co-eds, Then and Now
  • Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • The Bust Guide to the New Girl Order
You Will Make Money in Your Sleep: The Story of Dana Giacchetto, Financial Adviser to the Stars