Smart Boys & Fast Girls (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #4)

Smart Boys & Fast Girls (The Girlfriend’s Guide to Boys #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  977 ratings  ·  57 reviews
ON YOUR MARK

Natalie Page is overlooked and unappreciated.
Yeah, sure, she can run fast.
Yeah, sure, all the boys love her...as a buddy.
Yeah, she has plans every weekend night...with her friends and their boyfriends.

GET SET

Mass Market Paperback, 178 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Smooch

To ask other readers questions about Smart Boys & Fast Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Boys & Fast Girls

Catching Jordan by Miranda KenneallyGame. Set. Match. by Jennifer IacopelliDairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert MurdockMegan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate BrianShut Out by Kody Keplinger
Girls in Sports
40th out of 133 books — 303 voters
Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash by Dixie CashSee Jane Score by Rachel GibsonBet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaManhunting by Jennifer Crusie
Humorous Romance Titles
32nd out of 74 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

Adrienne
This is the last book in the series! And I'm feeling so sad about this. I had fun getting to know Natalie, Blue, Allie and Frances -- the author can't end this now. But apparently, this series is over. And I'm left in my pool of tears.

sobbing

I'll try to make a semi-coherent review.

Quick Overview
Natalie has gotten into the varsity cross-country team. The problem? She's being ignored by the popular runners in the team, she's the only one who doesn't have a boyfriend among her circle of friends and she's...more
Danielle
ON YOUR MARK

Natalie Page is overlooked and unappreciated.
Yeah, sure, she can run fast.
Yeah, sure, all the boys love her...as a buddy.

GET SET

It's time for the world to sit up and take notice. When Natalie makes the varsity cross country team, it seems like the fast track to being cool. The popular girls notice her, the hunky captain of the boys team is giving her rides home. Natalie Page is off and running.

Then
Megan (The Book Babe)
[image error]

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

I actually ended up liking Smart Boys and Fast Girls a bit more than I expected. At first, I really wasn't sure about it. It didn't start out very good, what with that terrible cliquishness in the beginning, and that the "bomb" so to speak was dropped within the first few pages. But I kept reading in the hope that it would would get better. And I definitely think that it did.

At first, I was convinced that this was going to be an over...more
Stephanie Powdar
The fourth and final book in a series about friends finding their first loves. By far my favorite aspect of the book was the sincerity of the main characters. You can feel Natalie's pain of always being seen as one of the guys, especially now that her best friends all are dating. You see through Matt's facade of being an all-business tutor and tell that he is gradually becoming more invested in Natalie's life. And when Natalie, the narrator, thinks about Matt or any other person, you feel what s...more
Anna Motteler
I didn't like this book at the beginning, because it seemed to me that it was just a book about a dumb jock and her fighting over two boys. But in the end, it showed me even jocks really do have their own problems, even if they are really stuck-up.
Katy
Yes, the book was fluff, but hey, don't dog on it because you HAD to know that this book would be just that. I was disappointed the ranking is so low on this book, but people who read fun reads like this should understand that these are fun reads and rank them to the types of books they are, what audience they are geared to and whether or not they accomplished the goal of that particular genre - in this case, keep the reader entertained.

I LOVED this book.. I had read the Boyfriend Game and liked...more
Lexi Rydstrom
My math teacher? "What did she want?"
He sighed. "To remove you from the team."
I blinked. "What?"
"Natalie, you've failed all three geometry tests this year."
He said it like it was a big secret I'd been hiding from him. In fact, he sounded almost like my dad, which was really bad. I mean, Coach was the one person who'd been giving me time over the last six weeks, and he'd kept telling me I was fast. He was the one person I wanted to still think I was cool.
And instead, he now he knew I was stupid,...more
Jasmine
Jan 14, 2008 Jasmine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenage girls
Smart boys & fast girls is about a girl named Natalie who makes the varsity cross country team. It seems like the fast track to being cool. She wants to be noticed by the popular girl on the team. She then starts to have a crush on the hunky captain of the boys team Zach. All her friends have boyfriends besides her. She feels they abandoned her because she doesn’t have a boyfriend.

Then Natalie begins to fail geometry. Her teacher tells her that she needs a tutor or she will be kicked of th...more
 Jenny ➳
actual rating: 3.5 stars

Heaps cute, at times I thought the heroine was a little obnoxious and (yes, stupid) but i mean... She's a 15 year old girl, what else do you expect? I loved the hero, he was a cutie for his age and I may also read the authors other works as well :)
Diana Johnson
finished this book in 4 hours, it was an easy read. And i loved the characters in it even though it may have been a bit predictable. Natalie and Matt were cute together, not perfect but that added a nice realistic edge to it. I usually hate love triangles but it worked well in this.
Minerva
It's the YA kind of book teenage girls love to read (not to mention anybody else who is still young at heart and remembers what a high school crush and romance feels like). One of the things I really enjoy about the novel is the voice of Natalie Page. She is authentic in showing what it feels like to work your way to appreciated status in the high school bureaucracy of cliques. Jocks have standards, the brainiacs have standards, but isn't wonderful when the two can sort of mesh? Well, without gi...more
Kitty Occeno
Funny, witty, flirty.
Sandra Strange
Natalie Page is the fast girl: one of the varsity cross country team’s brightest stars, and only a sophomore. However, she feels unwanted, unnoticed and unappreciated by her team, hunky boys, and her three best friends, all of whom ignore her for their boyfriends. Then because her failing geometry grade endangers her athletic eligibility, she is forced to submit to tutoring by a real “math geek,” an annoying “smart boy” who thinks she’s stupid. Predictable, but positive and enjoyable “chick” nov...more
Drucilla
Dec 09, 2012 Drucilla rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: d
I'd been wanting to read this book for a long time and I went to a lot of trouble to get it. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Natalie is 15 but acts so immature. She's soley concerned with popularity and it's annoying to read. She also had too many friends. I know this sounds weird but each of her three friends had boyfriends and it was difficult keeping track of who was who. (view spoiler)
Michelle (SweetBookReviews)
RATING: 3.5

FUN FUN FUN!

If you're having a cranky day or just want to kill time I would definitely read this novel. It's a fun one time read that you should totally borrow from the library some day. :)

OVERALL RATING:

Hannah Goodman
I connected to this book because the girl opens the story by saying she is every boy’s “buddy” and now, junior year, wants more. I expected to see this struggle played out, and it really wasn’t the main thrust of the plot. However, I did let go of that enough to enjoy it. But it made me realize that it’s important to go through your story to make sure that things you “say” are things that you “show” and if you don’t, maybe that’s not something you need.
Kara Kilgore
I read this book as an adult and what can I say..I read it one sitting it was super cute!! I gave it to my cousin to read and she really liked it too. Its hard to find really good CLEAN romance stories for young teenage girls. And this was one of the best that I have come across in a long time. I especially like how the main character is this girl on the track team and how she ends up with the nerdy guy who ends up being her tutor
Kate (VerbVixen)
Stephanie Davis’ novel is so cute and disarming, you have to like it, even if you aren’t a runner, which I am not. While Natalie is really insecure and Matt has serious jock issues, their story was so cute. Classic brain and jock romance, but I rooted for them to get together the entire time.

Plus, it was a short read. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon.

Soundtrack Song: Virginia Coalition, “Look My Way”

Overall: A-
Marlyn
Oh My!

Siempre tendré sentimientos encontrados con esta serie, pero realmente me alegro de haberla terminado. Casi un año después de haberla comenzado, sí, pero misión cumplida.

A nivel de la historia como tal, la de Nat y Matt fue mi favorita de las cuatro, ambos personajes son geniales y me pareció hermosa toda su relación.

Definitivamente esta es una de esas series que compartiré con Bella
I love the title! Making the varsity cross-country team puts Natalie Page on the fast track to popularity, but her nearly perfect new life is tripped up when she starts to fail geometry and falls for her new tutor, a cute, smart boy with a girlfriend, a disdain for sports and athletes, and no interest in Natalie whatsoever.
Deborah
This book was very cute. I really love this author. It took me a couple of hours to read, and was just a fun YA book. If you don't mind high school crushes and funny situtions, then you would enjoy this book. This author knows how to keep it clean and entertaining. I wish our library had more of her books.
Katrina Knittle
A short and fast girlie read. In the beginning of the book I just couldn't find myself to like the book. It seemed like it was just going to be about a jock and her fighting over two boys. In the end, I came to find that I enjoyed the book. Also, that anyone can have their own problems.
Manoja K.
Again, totally cute and cheesy. And again, fourteen year olds are areally annoying it. I mean, I'm sure that's how they act, but still...totally annoying.

Overall...cute, with some eyerolling (a lot for me because...well, I'm kind of bitch) and a predictable ending.
Susette
Same as all the others. Adorable. I thoroughly enjoyed these reads :)
Jackie
I loved it! It's a quick read, a story that leaves you with a smile and a satisfied feeling at the end. The main character is easy to relate to and readers will find themselves laughing and crying along with her. Deffinitely good for teenage girls.
Scribs
Pretty cheesy chic-lit, but I enjoyed it. Lest you get put-off by the title, this book is about a track runner who is popular and her nerdy tutor. Its a pretty harmless YA romance. Great read for after a long hard day!
Fairy Tale Junkie
Typical highschool romance between the geek and the jock, only the guy is the geek and our main chick is the jock. Predictable and ordinary, but i did enjoy the simplicity of the story. Fun and no-brainer :D
Jaz
This is a great quick read. I read it in about 2 1/2 hours this afternoon. Sweet story! Makes you do a double take on the things we think we want. It is funny how wrong one person can be. Enjoy!!!
Abbie
So cute! Another nerd named Matt? I gotta find me one of those! I'm a little sad that I've finished the series but all the books were good. This is one book I am definitely going to re-read.
Dana
I love this one because he and she are so different from each other but they still fell in love. And I cried a lot of times because I really felt the story. HONESTLY.
  • It Had to Be You (First Kisses, #4)
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • Playing With the Boys (Pretty Tough, #2)
  • Puppy Love (First Kisses, #3)
  • The ABC's of Kissing Boys
  • The Fake Boyfriend Experiment
  • Something Borrowed
  • Giving Up the V
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
  • Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2)
  • The Best Girl
  • The Problem with Paradise
  • Cinderella in Cleats
  • In Your Room
  • He's With Me
  • Thrill Ride
  • Snow in Love
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
Alias of Stephanie Rowe, under which she writes young adult fiction.
More about Stephie Davis...
The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5) Putting Boys on the Ledge (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #1) The Boyfriend Trick (First Kisses, #2) Who Needs Boys? (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #3) Studying Boys (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #2)