Lovey: A Very Special Child

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"A VERY SPECIAL CHILD

A VERY SPECIAL TEACHER

A VERY SPECIAL TRIUMPH

Hannah was a 'hopeless' child. Everyone agreed on that - public school authorities, psychiatrists, even the mother who loved her but could not reach her. Everyone, except one remarkable teacher who understood what it was like to be eight years old and hurt and angry and confused. A teacher who saw Hannah as s...more
Published December 5th 1978 by Signet (first published January 1st 1976)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGood-Bye, Mr. Chips by James HiltonAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryUp the Down Staircase by Bel KaufmanTo Sir, With Love by E.R. Braithwaite
Teachers Featured
80th out of 128 books — 65 voters
All Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainWorking by Studs TerkelAll Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot
A Day in the Life: Work Memoirs
353rd out of 365 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Susanne collyer
As a teacher of Special Needs children, I especially enjoyed the interaction Mary MacCracken shared with dialogue and her teaching techniques. Her warmth and caring for Hannah was so evident as she tried to draw Hannah into the secure and loving world of her classroom. I really loved this book and cried for Lovey's hurt and disillusionment.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Read this back in High School. Probably one of the books that led me into teaching, particularly Special Education. Wow! Seeing this on someone's "to-read" list was like a memory rush.
Sandra Clark
I was probably too young when I read this. I remember reading it in the car during a road trip, mesmerized by the story. Just found the original copy at my mom's house.
Beth Steyer
Book Description
Publication Date: August 1976 | ISBN-10: 0397011296 | ISBN-13: 978-0397011292 | Edition: 1st

"Mary MacCracken had reservations about having eight year old Hannah Rosnic in her class of three emotionally disturbed boys. They had made progress under Mary's care, and Hannah, who had a reputation for being withdrawn and possibly retarded, would only be a disruptive influence. But when Mary first encountered Hannah- wearing a woman's housedress, her red gold hair tangled with chewing g...more
Dani
Historically accurate look at the education of those deemed "emotionally disturbed" in the 1970s. It is important to remember this book was published in the 1970's with the education being in the 1950's or so and that there was little known about emotional disturbances, intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum disorders. It follows the love a teacher (who was never actually certified until the end) has for her students and the time she spends to connect with them to both understand, and hel...more
Amber
I read this book when I was a teenager for the first time and fell in love with the story and the characters! I recently found it in my stash and reread it again for the hundreth time. This book among others led me toward my career path in deaf education. It is a touching story about a special needs child and her teacher set in the 70's. It shows the trials special needs teachers faced with little recources and how one teacher can touch a child's life as well as how the child can touch a teacher...more
Thomasg
Aug 09, 2008 Thomasg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Thomasg by: Danielle Walker
I read this book when I was 10 years old. Yeah. So easy a child could read it. It was recommended by my sister, who was 13 years old. And 25 years later I still remember the book, the titles and children in the story. This book touched my life and I hope it reaches other in the same way.
JoAnn
Hard to believe I read Lovey so long ago, but it provided a glimpse of emotionally disturbed children that most adolescents probably don't have. (Thanks, Mom!) I have heard some comments that the book is "outdated" in defining autism. Either way, it is a worthwhile portrait.
Sharon Goss
Very moving story. This is THE book that confirmed by desire towards special education. After reading this one, I searched for all of Mary MacCracken's books. Sad but wonderful story. It also lead me toward Tory Hayden's books. Both authors are great!
Miz
Nice book about teaching special needs children. I felt it was overly simplistic and also the langaguge used in the book was old-fashioned and out-dated. That being said, it was a nice story and I thought the author wrote a nice narrative.
HeavyReader
This is another tear jerker story of a kid with problems (can't remember what exactly the problems were now) that my mom had around the house that I ended up reading when I had exhausted everything else in print.
Angela
This simple book actually spurred my desire to work with disabled/abused/disadvantaged kids. Here I am 14 years later and still thinking about that little girl in the book and calling my girls 'lovey'.
Erin
I wanted to hug these young people. I am glad there are people like Mary in the world who can reach children that other people dismiss. Teachers everywhere should read this book.
Shira
A beautiful real life story about the relationship between a teacher and her special needs student. I read this book about 12 years ago and still remember the plot and how much I loved it.
Jackie
i first read this in high school as an assignment and now own it and have re read it several times. it is a true story about an abused little girl and those that help her,oh so powerful!
Brandi
I really enjoyed this book. I love how the author is so honest with her feelings and the emotions that she went through with this child. What an amazing relationship!
Nancy
The story of a year with a teacher of 4 emotionally disturbed children. Touching, full of love, laughter, and insight. Recommended for all teachers or people who love children.
Leora Stutes
This is a true story of an emotionally disturbed child and the teacher who was able to free her from fear & feeling lonely. I found it fascinating and touching.
Barbara
This book challenged me as a teacher and made me realize what a difference educators can make in the lives of children who have difficulties of any type.
Chloe
Amazing book about an amazing woman and a very special child.Showcases the hardships of teaching children with severe emotional disturbances.
Linda Erden
I read this book when I was in high school and not a big fan of reading. It was such a good book and I have never forgotten it.
Abby Lyle
This book was sooo good and my mom read it in 7th grade and it leaded to her job sooo it is very good
Mum
A powerful book about the value of caring enough to make a difference, a few children at a time.
amazing what the right teacher can do when given the right resources and support
Celeste
I read this in college, but to this day I remember it making a big impression on me.
Nancy
Interesting and informative info on emotionally disturbed children.
Ruby Hollyberry
Recommended to lovers of Torey Hayden books.
Desiree
This book still moves me years later.
  • Just Another Kid
  • I Miss Mummy: The true story of a frightened young girl who is desperate to go home
  • One Small Boat: The Story of a Little Girl, Lost Then Found
  • Turning Stones: My Days and Nights with Children at Risk A Caseworker's Story
  • Street Kid
  • Dibs in Search of Self
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Abandoned
  • Mummy Knew
  • A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy
  • Behind Closed Doors: A True Story of Abuse, Neglect and Survival Against the Odds. Jenny Tomlin
  • Scarred
  • Out of the Dark
  • Broken Child
  • Please, Daddy, No
A Circle of Children City Kid Turnabout Children: Overcoming Dyslexia and Other Learning Disabilities Lovey The Lost Children