Start by marking “Lovey: A Very Special Child” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,007 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
"A VERY SPECIAL CHILD

A VERY SPECIAL TEACHER

A VERY SPECIAL TRIUMPH

Hannah was a 'hopeless' child. Everyone agreed on that - public school authorities, psychiatrists, even the mother who loved her but could not reach her. Everyone, except one remarkable teacher who understood what it was like to be eight years old and hurt and angry and confused. A teacher who saw Hannah as s
Published December 5th 1978 by Signet (first published January 1st 1976)

Susanne Collyer
Feb 28, 2013 Susanne Collyer rated it it was amazing
As a teacher of Special Needs children, I especially enjoyed the interaction Mary MacCracken shared with dialogue and her teaching techniques. Her warmth and caring for Hannah was so evident as she tried to draw Hannah into the secure and loving world of her classroom. I really loved this book and cried for Lovey's hurt and disillusionment.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sep 11, 2010 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Read this back in High School. Probably one of the books that led me into teaching, particularly Special Education. Wow! Seeing this on someone's "to-read" list was like a memory rush.
Jenna
Jan 06, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
As a veteran 6:1:1 middle school teacher of students at a residential treatment center (think: "at-risk", emotionally disturbed, mental health diagnosis, behavior issues, juvenile delinquent, etc etc... give me an acronym or diagnosis, I've probably experienced it), this book was put into my hands. I found it in our library as books for staff and upon cracking the spine, I realized why. That first moment where Mary realizes her class is changing?- yea, that happened to me the week prior. This bo ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 19, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was well-written, interesting and totally unforgettable; it was definitely worth reading.
Sónia
Feb 25, 2015 Sónia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confesso: sou fã deste género de livros, tanto pela curiosidade inata ao ser humano, como por trabalhar na área da Educação. A princípio, apenas o título me deixou um pouco de pé atrás (soa um pouco lamechas), mas o porquê de ser assim é explicado no decurso da obra. Além de se ajustar perfeitamente, o que o origina mexe com o nosso lado mais sensível.

Narrado na perspectiva da professora, Mary, esta é a história de Hannah que, desde cedo, é maltratada pelo Pai e pelo Irmão e rejeitada pelo Avô.
Susanann62
Jul 26, 2014 Susanann62 rated it it was amazing
A teacher writes about the very children I work with now! Because of her books, I wanted to do exactly this!!! What's fascinating when I read this now is the change in the teaching process and the lack of flexibility the teachers have. There are so many more 'rules and mandates' now that make me think it is no wonder kids don't ,make the progress we hope for.
The lack of funding is no different. I read this as a teen inspired to work with special needs kids. Now I read it as a sociological compa
Angela
Mar 07, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This simple book actually spurred my desire to work with disabled/abused/disadvantaged kids. Here I am 14 years later and still thinking about that little girl in the book and calling my girls 'lovey'.
Sharon
Aug 24, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This is the book that led to me becoming a special ed teacher. I had read it in jr high or high school and liked it. But, I re-read it when I was a freshman in college and said, "This is what I want to do!"
Sandra Clark
Feb 09, 2012 Sandra Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I was probably too young when I read this. I remember reading it in the car during a road trip, mesmerized by the story. Just found the original copy at my mom's house.
Jayde
Nov 05, 2014 Jayde added it

I’ve just had the pleasure of finishing the book “Lovey” by Mary MacCracken. MacCracken was very unique, she wrote memoirs about her ways of teaching children who had emotional and/or cognitive disabilities. She started as a volunteer for the special education field in New Jersey, once a week, in the late 1960’s. She then decided to further her education in teaching. Sadly, MacCracken passed last year, but her great memories and stories will live on in her books.
In the book “Lovey,” MacCracke
Mary
Dec 29, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
This memoir was chosen by one of my friends as a mother-daughter book club book. I loved this book so much because it is about children with special needs. I enjoyed "Wonder" by R.J. Palicio which also about a kid with a disability, but this novel stuck out even more because it is a true story.

You have completed the section of this review that does not contain any spoilers. If you do not wish to know the ending of this book, I recommend you stop reading here...

***********************************
Julie Akeman
May 09, 2016 Julie Akeman rated it it was amazing
The first and really the only time I have read this book was in sixth grade. I noticed in other reviews people have read it on Child Development college classes or even in a HS psych course. Me I read it on my own when I found it at the school's library. I was in special ed because they didn't know what to do with me. I picked up Lovey I think because I felt like I could identify with her though our situations were vastly different. I was a gifted reader (but bad at math) and had 'behavior probl ...more
Brenda
Feb 15, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
This book is the first adult novel I ever read. My aunt had it way back in 1978 and I was 7 years old. I picked it up because the book had a pretty little girl on the cover. I could not put it down. I was an advanced reader, and learned a lot from this book. I discovered empathy for young children ( missing the point that I was one) and decided that being a teacher of some kind would be important. I do not know now if I understood the words autism and schizophrenia but it was in this book that I ...more
Vanessa Montês
Mar 04, 2015 Vanessa Montês rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestaram-me
(...)

Mais uma vez um livro que me surpreendeu. Esta é uma daquelas autora que, para além de ter jeito para cuidar de crianças, tem imenso jeito para a escrita. Sabe escrever e projetar os seus sentimentos como ninguém e acaba por ser esse o ingrediente de todos os livros. Todos sabemos que hoje em dia existem vários livros dentro deste género, mas, na minha opinião, o facto de Mary ter começado a partir de voluntariado, num salto de fé e de ter iniciado o trabalho nesta área numa altura em que n
Beth Steyer
Sep 20, 2012 Beth Steyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Description
Publication Date: August 1976 | ISBN-10: 0397011296 | ISBN-13: 978-0397011292 | Edition: 1st

"Mary MacCracken had reservations about having eight year old Hannah Rosnic in her class of three emotionally disturbed boys. They had made progress under Mary's care, and Hannah, who had a reputation for being withdrawn and possibly retarded, would only be a disruptive influence. But when Mary first encountered Hannah- wearing a woman's housedress, her red gold hair tangled with chewing g
Don
Feb 23, 2016 Don rated it really liked it
This is another one of those instances where a special education teacher chronicles her work over the course of a year. MacCracken teaches in a school for emotionally disturbed children. The centerpiece of this one is Hannah, an extremely disruptive student whom no one has been able to reach ... until now.

I don't know exactly why I enjoy these books as much as I do. They hold me spellbound. I will say that this doesn't quite come up to the level of a Torey Hayden masterpiece, but it's very much
Amber
Sep 03, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a teenager for the first time and fell in love with the story and the characters! I recently found it in my stash and reread it again for the hundreth time. This book among others led me toward my career path in deaf education. It is a touching story about a special needs child and her teacher set in the 70's. It shows the trials special needs teachers faced with little recources and how one teacher can touch a child's life as well as how the child can touch a teacher ...more
Tricia Ebbs
Mar 31, 2015 Tricia Ebbs rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. It has been written by the teacher of an emotionally disturbed child and is easy to read and not bogged down in technical jargon. It is very sad at times when you realise how tough life is for some kids and it left me in awe of people like the author who dedicate their lives to helping others. She also touches on the frustrations of dealing with bureaucratic red tape which satisfies the system but can seriously disadvantage those that need help the most. The story of of ...more
Josie Steinberg
Nov 20, 2014 Josie Steinberg rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and thought is was interesting. The book always kept me on my feet and I was always eager to see what was going to happen next. Lovey is a story about a teacher, Mary, who gets a new student in her class who has physical and emotional issues, Hanna. This story is all about the struggle that the teacher and the student go through, together. This was a very moving book because even though nobody believed that Hanna had hope is becoming normal, her teacher always did.
Oriyah Nitkin
Feb 01, 2017 Oriyah Nitkin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Oriyah by: my mom
This was a sweet story, and an easy read. It was enjoyable, though nothing special. I suppose this genre was very popular in the mid to late '70s, and once you've read one, you've basically read them all. (Books like P.S. Your Not Listening and One Child: The True Story of a Tormented Six-Year-Old and the Brilliant Teacher Who Reached Out.) And yet I keep on reading them...
Shannon Holcomb
Apr 19, 2015 Shannon Holcomb rated it it was amazing
Darriane Newberry
Oct 01, 2015 Darriane Newberry rated it it was amazing
Coming from a student that was saved by her teacher... this book means so much to me and touched the deepest parts of my soul, because it is true nothing is like an amazing teacher that cares. I have been blessed with having her in my life and this book made me realize how even more lucky I am to have her in my life. it amazing how one teacher can change your life. I actually gave her my copy of this book so she could read it then just bought another copy for me.
Kelly
May 29, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mary McCracken was my inspiration to become a special Ed teacher when I first read one of her books at the age of 12. Casey read this book for a class so I revisited it. I still think she is/was an amazing teacher and quite the storyteller. In this one she has a class of 4 emotionally disturbed students. I could never do it.
JoAnn
Aug 22, 2007 JoAnn rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe I read Lovey so long ago, but it provided a glimpse of emotionally disturbed children that most adolescents probably don't have. (Thanks, Mom!) I have heard some comments that the book is "outdated" in defining autism. Either way, it is a worthwhile portrait.
Crystal
Sep 07, 2015 Crystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so terrible. I expected the story to talk about the little girl. It says she was abused but they never really talk about that stuff. I just thought it was an awful book and the author is terrible. I thought of it as false advertisement
Sharon Goss
Apr 17, 2012 Sharon Goss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very moving story. This is THE book that confirmed by desire towards special education. After reading this one, I searched for all of Mary MacCracken's books. Sad but wonderful story. It also lead me toward Tory Hayden's books. Both authors are great!
Joanne VanVelson
Wonderful

What a great story
We are so fortunate there are teachers that truly care for the well being of there students care. What a hard job and sometimes thankless, but a true teacher over comes the obstacles
Thomasg
Aug 09, 2008 Thomasg rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Thomasg by: Danielle Walker
I read this book when I was 10 years old. Yeah. So easy a child could read it. It was recommended by my sister, who was 13 years old. And 25 years later I still remember the book, the titles and children in the story. This book touched my life and I hope it reaches other in the same way.
Hollie
Feb 06, 2015 Hollie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-own
I bought this when I'd run out of Torey Hayden books to read. It's a bit of a slow burner, but I really liked it despite some of the language being a little outdated. It's a lovely, inspirational story that makes you root for those kids.

Rainbowgardener
Sep 08, 2016 Rainbowgardener rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I read this in conjunction with reading Torey Hayden's Beautiful Child. They are clones of each other, but Torey Hayden does it a little bit better.

Still another nice story of redeeming a very damaged child.
  • P.S. Your Not Listening
  • Just Another Kid
  • One Small Boat: The Story of a Little Girl, Lost Then Found
  • No Language But a Cry
  • Out of the Dark
  • Turning Stones: My Days and Nights with Children at Risk
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
  • I Miss Mummy
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • Living with Evil
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Street Kid
  • Mummy’s Little Helper: The Heartrending True Story of a Young Girl Secretly Caring for Her Severely Disabled Mother
  • Sweetie