Start by marking “Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)

Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  1,933 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews

Sir Merrick Hadrian hunts monsters, both human and supernatural. A Knight of the Order of the Round Table, his use of magick and the technologies of steam power have made him both respected and feared. But his considerable skills are useless in the face of his greatest challenge, guardianship of five unusual children. At a loss, Merrick enlists the aid of a governess.

Miss

Published March 7th 2011 by Carina Press (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steam & Sorcery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steam & Sorcery

Ian
Aug 29, 2013 Ian rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not really sure
DNF 70%

description

Sir Merrick is a Knight of The Order of the Round Table. His job is to hunt vampires and werewolves and other creatures of the night. While investigating the disappearance of a group of young women he gets some help from an unlikely source. A band of street urchins step in and help him battle a group of vampires and free the young women.
When he detects magical power in them he brings them into his home. But they are a ragtag lot and run riot. Merrick needs a governess.

description

Caroline finds it
Kat Kennedy
This ARC was provided to me by Carina Press and no money was exchanged for this review

It wouldn't be entirely true to say that Steam & Sorcery is Jane Eyre with a mechanical Kraken.

Much like a Mechanized, gun-toting Abraham Lincoln: It would blow your mind!

Because, firstly, there are no mechanical Kraken in this novel and because it's more like a SteamPunk The Sound of Music only a little less awesome than even that would be.

Still, it's quite fun and fresh. Not quite the Gothic romance it ai
Mpauli
Geez, what am I going to do with this book? I could justify every rating between 1 and 4 stars. I'll probably rate it 3 stars despite of all its issues, or maybe because it doesn't really care about all those issues and just wants to play.

Merrick Hadrian is a knight of the Order of the Round table, descendants from Arthur's knights, who fight vampyres (they are called vampyres here...with a y...cause it's cool....you know?).
On one of his vampyre hunting trips, Merrick gets rescued by a bunch of
Aoife
Aug 21, 2013 Aoife rated it it was ok
Have you ever been on fanfiction.net or a similar site, read one of those stories about a Beautiful Heroine With A Tragic Past (TM) and no money who meets a Ruggedly Handsome Rich Guy (TM), falls in love with him, then discovers that she is in fact a Special Snowflake With Awesome Powers (TM) and somewhere on they way she gets lots of pretty dresses and they have Absolutely Faboulus First Time Sex With Hillarious Euphemisms For Penis and Vagina In The Description Of It (TM)? Have you read one of ...more
Anna
Jul 02, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk, hollie
Steam & Sorcery is a quick read, and with two protagonists, an aunt, five children, and a variety of side characters, you'd think it would be quickly overwhelmed by a confusing number of names, but Pape does a fantastic job in giving them all dimension and keeping them distinct. Children are especially difficult to write well, since they often veer either to acting several years younger/older than they're meant to be or simply depicted as being so annoying you grit your teeth every time they ...more
Alexandra
Disclaimer - the author is primarily a romance writer, so there's some predictability here, the occasional mild ick factor, and several explicit sex scenes. But overall a very light, enjoyable read with characters to care about.

July 2015 - re-reading.
Simcha Lazarus
Mar 15, 2011 Simcha Lazarus rated it liked it
Meljean Brook and Gail Carriger have proven that mixing together alternate history, technology, fantasy and romance can bring about the most delightful results. I loved Carriger’s Soulless and Brook’s Iron Duke, and so when I came across Steam & Sorcery, which sounded like it had some similar themes, I was eager to give it a try.

Steam & Sorcery starts off strong and seems to be heading on the path to some interesting destinations, but unfortunately it never quite makes it. The story open
Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections
Mar 23, 2011 Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 18 and over due to sexual content
This delightful, anachronistic story begins in the year 1851, London, England with Sir Merrick Hadrian who is a Knight of the Order. He gets into a bind while investigating the disappearance of some women in the area. While investigating, he is suddenly pitted against two vampyres and unwittingly receives the help of five street children with supernatural powers to help dispatch the vampyres.

As a Knight of the Order, Sir Merrick is used to hunting human and animal monsters; but, he is not sure
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a quickie review. Full review available at The Romanceaholic

Finally! A Steampunk novel that includes both airships and welding goggles (albeit in very small doses)! One thing that bugs me with the explosion of so called “Steampunk romances” these days are the stories where the steampunk elements are practically nonexistent, or play such a minor part that they merely act as set dressing. Steam & Sorcery, while not as “Steampunk” as, say, The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook, does rely heavi
Hallie
Feb 02, 2013 Hallie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Maybe 2.5.

I liked a few things about the fantasy, but the romance was underwhelming. I mean really - very much more powerful/higher status male who's totally smitten and planning to marry the poor, abused governess, but just doesn't tell her about it? Her determination to be with him while she can, knowing her heart will be broken when he leaves her doesn't cause the necessary heart-string tugging when the reader knows he's just -- uh, waiting for the perfect moment? Didn't find the sex scenes v
Reni
Don’t read this book for the adventure. Or the mystery plot. Or because you're into steampunk. You will be disappointed. If you read this for the romance, however, you should be fine.

I purchased this book because I felt like I needed to read something light, fluffy, preferably with some colourful, sympathetic characters, a shining hero to swoon over and an imaginative setting. Well, Steam and Sorcery delivered perfectly on that account. I really enjoyed myself, when I began reading, but after a
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
 Mummy Cat Claire
I enjoy steampunk books but this book isn't what I was hoping. It really is just a glorified romance novel.

Set in Westminster, London in 1851, Sir Merrik Hadrian is working in the order and trying to keep normalcy in the city. After a short chase with vampires, he runs into a group of children and they help him defeat the foes. After this sort of bond, the children come home to live in society, be educated and be tended to by a governess.
Miss Caroline Bristol is a governess that seems to sexual
Kelly
This book was a load of fun. A LOAD. The blending of steampunk, knights, magick, vampyres and other supernatural critters just flat out worked. The mystery of what the vampyres were working toward, the flashes of magick, the rigid social lines that both Caroline and Merrick were trying not to cross and the five gifted children that tied it all together made for a sassy, spunky, well-crafted world with surprises hiding around every corner.

First off, I loved the children. They each had their own s
La Fenice Book
Oct 24, 2015 La Fenice Book rated it really liked it
QUATTRO E 1/2

Incantesimi e ingranaggi è un libro meraviglioso, mi aveva proprio attirata il genere Steampunk di cui era infuso l'epoca che naturalmente si aggira intorno a quella vittoriana e la storia intricata.

Tutto il racconto si fonda su questa triade, intrecciato, appassionante, ben scritto e strutturato, tutto racchiuso in duecento pagine. La serie che è denominata "Steampunk Chronicles" avrà tanti titoli in uscita, in America sono già all'ottavo. La storia non è semplice ma tutt'altro, mo
Mar 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: earcs, fantasy
Steam & Sorcery is a nice blend of steampunk and romance. The characters are well developed while allowing for some twists and growth. It's nice how we find out Caroline's original problems as a governess come from a specific source, and I hope this is explored in future books. The children were written very believably, which is a nice change from some adult novels. I liked the touches of science the steampunk added, though I would have liked to see more examples of the uses of steam power. ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I didn't expect to like this story. It is a fairy tale. Even though it is a romance, that is not what drives the story. Romance starts much later. Before that you have a group of gifted street urchins fighting vampires and protecting each other, an aunt who isn't afraid to say or do what she likes and two main characters who are not annoying (you have to admit that in most of the historical romances, one of the two does something stupid at least once).
Lara
Dec 16, 2012 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-in-2012
A Victorian era romance in a steam punk lite setting. I enjoyed Caroline's strength of character and sense of fun. There was a decent amount of action, and the romance grew normally through attraction, chemistry and multiple interactions. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
LitAddictedBrit
Sep 29, 2011 LitAddictedBrit rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011, ebooks
I'm going through a steampunk phase at the moment and am still very much enjoying indulging the phase by snapping up all things Victorian and mechanical. Prior to this, I'd read the first four of the Parasol Proctectorate series by Gail Carriger and since finishing this I've read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. Both big hitters on the steampunk scene that appears to be all the rage at the moment. I enjoyed this as much as I did those so although it isn't "pure" steampunk, it is certainly no black ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
A LASR 'BEST BOOK'!

If Steam and Sorcery is an example of Steampunk Romance I’m going to put this genre on my favorites list.

The time is 1851. Queen Victoria is on the throne of England. On the surface the era appears unchanged from the one we know from history. All is not as it seems.

Sir Merrick Hadrian is a Knight of the Round Table. He is descended from Arthur’s original knights - who were were completely different from the knights portrayed in legend. Merrick is gifted with magic. His secre
Heather
Mar 13, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Impromptu Review: Steam & Sorcery by Cindy Spencer Pape

I am not gonna lie, I squealed when I got the galley from Carina Press. I discovered Cindy Spencer Pape’s Motor City Series, and found her writing delightful. Her worldbuilding is immersive, her characters’ chemistry sizzles and her love scenes are hot.

Now, I read lots of paranormal, historical, urban fantasy and spec fic. I have only dabbled in steampunk, and it’s been mixed – some of it I loved, some left me meh. The thing that makes m
Lillie
This is A Flash Of Fiction (capsule or brief) review. See the full content at: Read My Mind

I Liked -- Plot: Steampunk is growing into a popular sub-genre, and I have wholeheartedly embraced it. While I like the machinery and the airships and the danger that can go along with steampunk stories, Pape's novel had more of the historical aspect included in the plot, and I always enjoy reading about Regency/Victorian England, so it was just the right thing to capture my attention. There was a great
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Mar 16, 2011 Crystal ♥ RBtWBC rated it liked it
Steam & Sorcery had the potential of being a really great novel; there is a capable, smart and handsome hero, a headstrong heroine that can take care of herself, five orphaned children with supernatural abilities, vampires, werewolves and interesting gadgets one of the children creates. But when it came to the actual plot, it fell a bit flat.

The story starts out at a good pace with action right off the bat; Sir Merrick is a Knight in a secret order that protects the rest of the world agains
Aislynn
Who knew that Vampires, magical children, a sexy Knight and a governess would make such a fantastic story. And would have me glued to the page right from the first sentence until the very last page? I wish I hadn't waited so long to read this book - because it was awesome!

Miss Bristol has lost her job and is just barely scrapping by on what she's managed so save. She reluctantly takes a job with the nephew of an acquaintance - to help him look after several orphans he took in. Little did she kno
Cindy
Oct 06, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, keepers
Cindy Spencer Pape-Gaslight Chronicles #1-Steam & Sorcery
Published March 7th 2011 by Carina Press
ISBN1426891288 (ISBN13: 9781426891281)

Good read-relationship driven plot, with some action elements. Historical setting [1851] with a touch of magic and a steampunk twist - complete with a lord, a governess, and assorted delightful [and oddly talented] children. No mad wife in the attic but it does have a mechanical dog and vampyres...

A group of street children help Sir Merric
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Mar 29, 2011 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it it was amazing

Steam and Sorcery combines steampunk, magic, and paranormal in a satisfying read. Sir Merrick Hadrian is a Knight of the ancient Order of the Round Table. On a mission in the London slums Sir Marrick is saved by a band of five children from an attack of vampyres. When the children offer to help him complete his mission he accepts their help. Recognizing the unique talent in each of the children and the fact that one of them is a Knight he moves them to his home creating chaos. What he needs is a
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"Lui smise di ridere, guardandola nel profondo degli occhi. «Mi prenderò sempre cura di te, Caro. Fino a che il sangue mi scorrerà nelle vene, non farò mai nulla che possa farti del male.»"

Adoro il genere steampunk ma purtroppo nelle libreria italiane scarseggia a dir poco! ç__ç così appena mi sono imbattuta in questo libro mi ci sono gettata come winnie the pooh su un vasetto di miele XD Inutile dire che mi è piaciuto moltissimo e spero davvero che la pubblicazione della serie vada avanti! *ç*
Sheryl
May 23, 2011 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Part steampunk, part paranormal, part romance, with a dash of suspense and mystery, this book has so much going for it. The investigation that Merrick is doing for the Knights of the Order runs throughout and gives the book its action and suspense; however, just as much of the book is focused on describing the world they are in and the building of relationships, both between the leads and with the children. I particularly liked how Merrick and Caroline interacted with the orphans and how they be ...more
Dharia Scarab
If you enjoy Steampunk, adventure, and the paranormal mixed with your Romance, this is a fun series that introduces a group characters and sees them find happily ever after in their own books.

Fans of Kerrelyn Sparks, Love at Stake series would enjoy this series. And vise versa for Cindy Spenser Pape fans looking for a new series to sink your teeth in.

1 star... This book w
Norma
Mar 07, 2011 Norma rated it it was amazing
What a way to cut my teeth on an author! Wow! I was utterly blown away by this book. I think the only thing that had me upset about this book was having to put it down to do other things!

The characters really popped off the pages. I could picture each one in my mind. The descriptions were fantastic. I felt like I was transported another time and place.

At first, I was worried whether she could marry steampunk with magick, but she definitely succeeded beyond my expectations.

I do wished that she
  • Like Clockwork
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • Miss Bramble and the Leviathan
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Avalon Revisited
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1)
  • New Blood (Blood Magic, #1)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • A Clockwork Christmas
Cindy Spencer Pape has been, among other things, a banker, a teacher, and an elected politician, though she swears she got better. She volunteers in environmental education, when she can fit it in around writing. She lives in Michigan with her husband, two teenage sons, a dog, a lizard, and various other small creatures, all of which are easier to clean up after than the three male humans.
More about Cindy Spencer Pape...

Gaslight Chronicles (10 books)
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • Ashes & Alchemy (Gaslight Chronicles, #6)
  • Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)
  • Ether & Elephants (Gaslight Chronicles, #8)
  • Gaslight Chronicles Box Set 1: Steam & Sorcery\Kilts & Kraken\Moonlight & Mechanicals (The Gaslight Chronicles)
  • Gaslight Chronicles Box Set 2: Cards & Caravans\Ashes & Alchemy\Dragons & Dirigibles (The Gaslight Chronicles)