Start by marking “The Works of Edgar Allen Poe Volume 3” as Want to Read:

The Works of Edgar Allen Poe Volume 3

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  801 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Works of Edgar Allen Poe
Nook, 160 pages
Published February 11th 2011 by Yellow Dress Publishers (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Edgar Allen Poe Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Edgar Allen Poe Volume 3

jim copley
What a variety of stories

If you like well written fiction this book is for you. You rarely know how things will turn out. Sometimes it gets a little wordy but it is worth it.
P.W.
Truly not the best work of Poe.
Brian Cooke
I got this book for "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", having finished the rest I really think that that one was the weakest entry (because it was unfinished as far as I'm concerned). There are however a few real gems in here particularly "The Spectacles" and I have every intention of getting through the other 4 volumes for any more Poe works that I've missed in the haphazard approach I've taken in reading his work to date.
Conni
I'm not a huge Poe fan. I have only read some of his more acclaimed stories and poems. I bought this set to help me get an understanding for what the less popular stories were like. I have to say that the stories in this volume didn't impress me. Perhaps the other volumes will have a better offering.
John Cress
Overall, the highlight for me was Narrative of A. Gordon Pym which ended up being an adventure story that included a bit of everything from a doomed voyage and an unexplored island, kind of reminded me of the land that time forgot by Burroughs. A nice solid read
Dylan
Oct 23, 2008 Dylan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OCT 23, 2008 - Alright, so I put Edgar Alen Poe's entire body of work on 1001 books to read before I die, when I only need to read "The Pit and the Pendulem","The Purloined Letter" and "The Fall of the House of Usher." This is just easier for me to handle.
Denise
Being a fan of Moby Dick, had to read Pym of Nantucket. The story wonders and ends abruptly, however, a must read for Melville fans. Spectacles is humorous, King Pest is nicely bizarre, and Three Sundays is amusing.
David Donaghe
This is the third volume of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe that I have read. Everyone seems better than the last. All though Poe is known for his dark tales, I also enjoy his description and his sense of humor.
B. Zedan
Nov 10, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like to read about terrible travels
And here we have the travelogues. The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym is a mindfuck, let's leave it at that.

King Pest is pretty sick, though. I very much want to illustrate it.

Annette Radcliff
this one was not a favorite of one of poe's books for me. it was good, but i read it really fast to get thru it. it was not that interesting to me.
Nathan Shumate
19th century literary humor doesn't age well, unfortunately.
Mitch
May 13, 2009 Mitch marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This hardbound book ~ Original print: Duffield & Co. New York, 1908
Ashley Pendelbury
Ashley Pendelbury marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Brandon Brozek
Brandon Brozek marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • Cleopatra
  • A Strange Disappearance
  • The Rustlers of Pecos County
  • Pagan and Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning
  • Whitman: Poems (Pocket Poets)
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado