Start by marking “The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Western” as Want to Read:
The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Western

The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Western

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  3,124 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
Richard Brautigan. The Hawkline Monster. New York: Simon and Schuster, [1974]. First edition, first printing. Octavo. 216 pages.

The time is 1902, the setting eastern Oregon. Magic Child, a fifteen-year-old Indian girl, wanders into the wrong whorehouse looking for the right men to kill the monster that lives in the ice caves under the basement of Miss Hawkline's yellow ho
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 216 pages
Published September 15th 1974 by New York: Simon and Schuster (first published 1974)

karen
Sep 21, 2011 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i am willing to give second chances.

even if i am angered or bewildered or heartbroken, i am always willing to take stock of circumstances, offer up the opportunity for redemption, and allow someone back into the warmth of my heart. we should all be as emotionally charitable as me. just don't fuck up a second time.

i read this brautigan novel with trepidation. that motherfucker burned me before.

are you distressed that i have already used variants of the word "fuck" twice in the first fifty or so
Melki
Dec 01, 2014 Melki rated it liked it
"It just howls and pounds on the iron door that's between the ice caves and the laboratory. We've kept the door locked ever since our father disappeared."

"What does it sound like?" Cameron said.

"It sounds like the combination of water being poured into a glass," Miss Hawkline said. "A dog barking and the muttering of a drunk parrot. And very, very loud."

"I think we're going to need the shotgun for this one," Cameron said.

...and maybe a bigger boat while you're at it...

This is a freaky acid trip
Tfitoby
Jun 14, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, western

The Hawkline Monster by Richard Brautigan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Gothic Western

'This sure is a weird place,' Greer said.
'It ain't any weirder that Hawaii,' Cameron said.
As it turned out, Cameron was wrong.

Blurb: It is the beginning of the 20th century. A huge yellow house stands in a field of frost in the Dead Hills of East Oregon. In the basement of the house are The Chemicals.

The Chemicals were Professor Hawkline's lifework - but the Professor has disappeared and his lifework must be c
Greg
Sep 28, 2011 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My first experience with Richard Brautigan was not a positive one. I disliked A Confederate General from Big Sur. Karen a similar bad Brautigan reaction to her first book, but she was convinced to give him another try with this book, and I was given the task of taking it out of the library for her. She read it and gave it four stars. Since it's my job to return it to the library, and because she asked me to, I give Brautigan a second chance.

It was ok. I found it enjoyable and it read quickly a
Gabe
Dec 02, 2011 Gabe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A miniscule, oddball masterpiece. Essentially functioning as one extended deadpan joke, "The Hawkline Monster" is a strange story told straightforwardly. Structured in Brautigan's characteristic fragmentary chapters (which average about two pages and sometimes contain little more than one singular thought), the plot begins with contract killers Greer and Cameron being approached by a stranger named Magic Child. She has a job for them: come to Hawkline Manor, a house in eastern Oregon but near no ...more
Maureen
Jun 05, 2009 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maureen by: Ben Loory
a phenomenal book i keep carrying around with me and dipping into over and over again. i read it twice the first time i read it which is always the hallmark of my great favourites.

the simple story really sort of sketches in a lovely series of scenes that play out in a matter of fact way that always hints at poetry, and engages my imagination so that i can see everything so vividly. i love everything about these characters: they are so real to me, natural and uttterly charming.

though it's suppose
Dan Schwent
I grabbed this one because it said Gothic Western on the cover. It was a really odd one. The writing is simplistic but has a bit of a hypnotic quality. I'll read more Brautigan if I happen across them.
Rick Slane
How many gothic westerns are there? I read this long ago and remember it fondly.
Arthur Graham
Dec 25, 2015 Arthur Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like I always say, whiskey solves everything.
Miss Ravi
Jul 09, 2015 Miss Ravi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 1394
کتابهای براتیگان همیشه و بی هیچ دلیل واضحی خوشخوانن و احتمالا این به نثر روون کتابهاش و طنز ظریفی که به کار میبره برمیگرده. شاید این کتاب بهترین اثر براتیگان نباشه و در مواردی خواننده از بیاتفاقی و خط داستانی مستقیم و بیفراز و نشسیب اون کسل میشد اما حرفی برای گفتن داشت و من بدجوری دلم میخواد هیولا، سایه و غار یخی رو به موضوعات روانکاوی ربط بدم. ...more
Christoph
Aug 04, 2010 Christoph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first exposure to Brautigan, although I have one of his trilogy collections in my stack. I wasnt ready to dig into that so when I came across this little volume I snatched it up. A very light read, its only about 150 pages or so and Brautigan uses a very minimalist, trimmed down language in this dark story. You could easily put this down in half a day. Not only does this style make it extremely easy to read, it aptly sets the mood for the story through the eyes of the stark, simple, no-nonsen ...more
Bill
Sep 07, 2014 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, western
A book I bought by chance after seeing it in the display cabinet of one of my favourite used book stores. It happened that Sep was Western genre month so this being a 'gothic western' and liking the cover, I decided to give it a chance. A very easy, flowing read and a quirky interesting story. The gist being that two gunslingers are hired by a young woman to come to Oregon to kill a monster that resides in the ice caves below their house in Oregon. Many, many strange occurrences, which I'll let ...more
Taylor
Jun 26, 2014 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with active imaginations who appreciate situational and deadpan humor
I read The Hawkline Monster as part of a collection of three of Brautigan's short works, but we're having our book club meeting about this tonight, so I want to put some thoughts down now.

The Hawkline Monster is a book that the enjoyment of which depends a lot on what you read and why. This can be said of a lot of works, sure, but in particular a book like this is going to disappoint or satisfy based on what you come into a book looking for.

When I read, I want to be entertained, first and foremo
Mark

LA-DA DA DA DA DA.

Thud Whack Ping
Ben Loory
Feb 03, 2008 Ben Loory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can't even really begin to think about understanding why this book is so great. on the one hand, it's simplicity itself; on the other, it's a big shimmering cloud of mystery that floats through your eyes and into your brain and then turns to diamonds when you close the book. so, yeah, i liked it.
ZaRi
هیولای هاوکلاین یک روایت است که ماجراهای دو هفتتیرکش و قاتل حرفهای به نامهای "گریر" و "کامرون" را برای مخاطب بازگو میکند اما در عین حال هیولای هاوکلاین تنها یک رمان درباره زندگی دو قاتل نیست و در لایههای عمیقتر تغییر فرهنگ غرب را به سوی مدرنیته بررسی میکند.
در همین راستا که دو کاراکتر داستانی از اورگان به شهری دورافتاده سفر میکنند و این سفر که برای انجام ماموریتی صورت پذیرفته هست کمکم به جستوجو در تاریخ غرب تغییر شکل میدهد و براتیگان با استفاده از سمبل ها و تمثیلهای مختلف بخشی از تاریخ ایالات متح
jj aitken
May 04, 2009 jj aitken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little gem is is for all of you who love pure imagination accompanied by a wickedly dark sense of humor. Its a metaphorical masterpiece.
Nandes
Nov 01, 2016 Nandes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boníssim!! Western surrealista i obscur, molt divertit.
Drew
Jul 24, 2008 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Great meditation on psychedelic fantastical realism. Couldn't put this one down.
Behdad Ahmadi
نخستین برخورد من با جناب آقای ریچارد براتیگان شهیر، برخورد بسیار دلپذیری بود.

تا جایی که اطلاع دارم این کتاب جزو بهترین کار هاش نیست، اما با این وجود فوق العاده بود.

داستان بسیار هوشمندانه بود، قلم نوشته به حدود عالی ظریف و لطیف بود و نکاتی که میشد توی متن پیدا کرد، خواننده رو تخت تاثیر قرار می داد.
داستان سرشاره از تعبیرات و نگرش های ادبی و خیال انگیز، توصیف های برگرفته از خیال و تخیل براتیگان که در نوع خودشون بسیار ناب هستن و به شخصه تا به حال با چنین تعبیراتی کم مواجه شده بودم.

مثلا یکی از زیبات
Mat
Aug 17, 2014 Mat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Just brilliant.
This is, hands down, the best Brautigan book I have read so far.

Did you ever see or read The Shining? Well, in some ways, this book is like that, but with a lot more comedy and less nail-biting tension. In fact, I wonder if Stephen King ever read or was inspired by Richard Brautigan's work - it seems like a great book to draw spin-offs from. At other times, this book reminded of William Burroughs, The Place of Dead Roads, with two killers as the protagonists.

So what i
Michael
Oct 21, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
I decided to re-visit Richard Brautigan’s The Hawkline Monster after first reading it a few years ago. I love the dry humour, and the plain, no-frills style of storytelling. It often reminded me of Larry McMurtry’s Western stories. The writing is so simple in its execution, it seems like a book anyone could have written, but that’s the beauty of it. I’m sure Brautigan’s bizzarro imaginings and dead pan humour would be a lot harder to replicate than one might think.

The story concerns two killers
Orrin Grey
Samantha
The bottom line here is that I really want an elephant foot umbrella holder.

This is another of Brautigan's parodies and is more absurdist than, say, Dreaming of Babylon and The Abortion. It's a good ride, though, if you suspend any concept of reality you may have and sort of let the story take you along. There are many darkly comic elements throughout - on one end of the spectrum, you have the Frankenstein-ian tale of the monster overtaking its creator, while on the other end, you've got two cow
zxvasdf
May 13, 2015 zxvasdf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was a revelation.

In it I read echoes of many writers I loved: Cormac McCarthy (The Road), Ross H Spencer (The Chance Purdue series), Flann O'Brien (At Swims Two Birds), William S Burroughs (The Dead Roads) and Johnny Stanton (Mangled Hands). It feels I am overextending, but books like this are the reason it's so hard to choose one favorite. We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Simple and plain in language in short and simple chapters, The Hawkline Monster emerges, a malignant glee
John
Feb 16, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 'gothic western' could not be a more accurate description of 'The Hawkline Monster'. The story was brief without sacrificing detail, story, or character development. Anyone who is a fan of gothic novels along the lines of Edgar Allan Poe will really find the book enjoyable. I read over the course of two days in about three hours time. Perfect for a long car tip or short flight. One word to keep in mind when reading it: contrast.
Amy
Dec 08, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, fiction
This was the first Brautigan I ever read. This is the craziest freaking western that you will ever come across. I don't read a lot of westerns, but I told a western-loving friend about it, and she read it, and she agreed it was crazy. Now she is truthfully crazy, so she knows it when she sees it. I am very sane. This book is less than sane. That said, it is a very very adventurous read.
Tiah Keever
Apr 26, 2009 Tiah Keever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book cracked me up. I brought it with me when I went to Suisse and I remember reading part of it at the bar,Charlie's, in Versoix on Halloween. I have a few notes in a journal about it and I recall a line about a wooden duck foot. I think its fair to say this was one of the most entertaining books I have read.
Batz
Apr 30, 2009 Batz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a reviewer said something along the lines of "a spaghetti western meets Frankenstein, seen through an opium haze..." and they summed it up just fine i reckon.
A bit of beat genius, dang funny too. Thanks JJ
Sandra
Feb 01, 2010 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brautigan was one of my husband's long-ago favorite authors, so I bought this one for him. He read it (again)recently and encouraged me to try it.

It spoofs the traditional Western as well as the classic horror tale, so it's fun. I think I'll try more Brautigan as a result of reading this one.
something differetn 1 8 Oct 01, 2013 09:30AM
  • Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
  • Ghosts And Ruins
  • Clark Gifford's Body
  • The Absent City
Richard Brautigan was an American novelist, poet, and short-story writer. Born in Tacoma, Washington, he moved to San Francisco in the 1950s and began publishing poetry in 1957. He started writing novels in 1961 and is probably best known for his early work Trout Fishing in America. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1984.

More about Richard Brautigan...

“The voyage from San Francisco to Hawaii had been the most terrifying experience Greer and Cameron had ever gone through, even more terrible than the time they shot a deputy sheriff in Idaho ten times and he wouldn't die and Greer finally
had to say to the deputy sheriff,
"Please die because we don't want to
shoot you again".

And the deputy sheriff had said, "Ok, I'll die, but don't shoot me again".

"We won't shoot you again", Cameron had said.

"Ok, I'm dead", and he was.”
8 likes