Start by marking “The Two: The Story of the Original Siamese Twins” as Want to Read:
The Two: The Story of the Original Siamese Twins

The Two: The Story of the Original Siamese Twins

Hardcover book with dust jacket is the story of Chang and Eng, co-joined Siamese twins in the 19th century.Bibliography, index. 360 pages. Illustrated.
Published March 15th 1978 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two

The World of Karov by Elyse SalpeterThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneI Know This Much Is True by Wally LambTwelfth Night or, What You Will by William Shakespeare
Best Books About Twins
168 books — 242 voters
Gingers & Wry by Dwayne R. JamesThe Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare"We Were Five by James BroughThe Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee HopeProfessors Zwillinge by Else Ury
Multiples
117 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Monkey
Nov 12, 2008 Monkey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
So, I was watching this show on TLC about the Mutter museum in Philly, which I want to go to even though it's super creepy. http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp Check it out.

Anyway, they were showing the death mask of the Siamese twins and discussing them, and how they became famous and then settled down married two sisters and had 21 children! I was transfixed. So off to the local library to find out about them. This book was extremely informative and detailed, almost too much so. Did you kno
Erin
Oct 19, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
I was led to this one by reading about Chang and Eng in A.J. Jacob's "The Know-It-All". Surprisingly, I had no idea that the original Siamese twins spent the last part of their lives married to sisters and living in Mt. Airy, NC. I believe this book was published in the mid to late 1970's... it was definitely dated and went a bit more in-depth than was really needed. Still, this was an interesting read on the history of two very unique individuals.
Greg Condon
Oct 06, 2016 Greg Condon rated it liked it
This was a interesting book, though as others have pointed, has long passages that are seemingly unnecessary information. Most fascinating to me was the others relationship with each other, the fact they rarely spoke to one another and, when, writing letters referred to themselves as "I" . I love the Book of Lists, by the same authors, they have a unique ability to make you want to spend the rest of your life researching some obscure topic based on a single sentence they wrote.
Lani
Nov 29, 2009 Lani rated it really liked it
One of my last AABB book swap finds, I took forever to decide to read it because it has a musty, falling-apart book jacket that I thought I would lose if I carried it around much. I was right, but it's not in terrible condition...

I've always been kind of fascinated by conjoined twins, so reading about the original Siamese Twins was pretty interesting. The story encompasses a lot of topics actually - not just conjoined twins but also Siam/Thailand in the 19th century, the vaudeville circuit, and
ABC
Feb 09, 2014 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens-and-adults
Chang and Eng Bunker's lives were absolutely fascinating. They were probably the first truly famous Asian-Americans in America. Successful and intelligent, they would be on tv shows like "The View" and "Oprah" if they were alive today. (Although if they were alive today, they would have been separated at birth. They medical know-how to do so did not exist during their lifetime.)

I would give this book three and a half stars if possible. It is a very factual biography, relying a lot on letters and
Benjamin
Jul 03, 2015 Benjamin rated it it was ok
The subject matter was very interesting, but the execution was slow and tedious. The book was about three times as long as it needed to be. Most of that extra space was devoted to long quotations that were only tangentially related to the topic at hand (the most maddening, to me, were passages describing impressions of a city given by someone with no ties at all to the twins; the fact that the twins had passed through that city was justification enough).

The factual highlights include how entrepr
Tracey
Apr 18, 2011 Tracey rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating book and rich with 19th Century U.S. history. I thought Irving and Amy Wallace (father/daughter) did a masterful job in researching the lives of these Siamese twins. Aside from their "disability" that draws one's interest, they were remarkable men and I think would have been wonderful to have as friends. I do question, though, how successful their marriages were. What they accomplished in their rather short lifetime is remarkable.
Bj Hoover
Feb 26, 2012 Bj Hoover rated it liked it
I found 5 boxes of old books in storage. This is a book about the original Siamese Twins, Chang and Eng Bunker. I gave it to my Dad in 1983 because of his interest in their story. I read it for the first time this week and found it very interesting. What a challenging life they had in their co-joined state. They made the most of it and managed to live productive and mostly happy lives in spite of their circumstances.
Anthony Ventrello
Feb 18, 2011 Anthony Ventrello rated it really liked it
An excellent read from page one. Very-well written as you almost feel like you personally know Chang and Eng and could say, "yeah, I'd like to hang out with them." I was very pleased that I found this book on my mom's bookshelf and was even more suprised that I had known my mother had this book for over 30 years and I had never read it! I wish I had read it sooner, but I am glad that I did. A great book that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a well-written and relateable biography.
Susan
This is a biography about the original “Siamese Twins” Chang and Eng. The subject matter is really fascinating to learn about; how they lived day to day being joined at the abdomen. I found it even more interesting that they each married and had 20+ children between them. The books itself was a little dry, and I found myself skimming through parts because it just became so monotonous. Even so, I’m glad I read it and could learn a little more about these brothers.
Jason
Oct 30, 2008 Jason rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Conjoined twin fetishists, Mutter nuts
Shelves: freaky-deaky, history
North Carolina represent! Like much of Amy Wallace's work this is T.A.W.D.R.Y. Either you love that or you don't.
Darren
Jun 30, 2007 Darren rated it liked it
what I want to be when I grow up: carolina gentleman farmer ex-sideshow attraction father husband siamese twins
Samantha
May 02, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
This book was very interesting, and the authors did a great job of placing the brothers in time, with references of the people and events around them. Bizarre and incredible true story.
Vikki
Feb 09, 2014 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Chang and Eng Bunker, the story of the Siamese twins. A very good book. I thought both of the Wallaces did a fine job with this delicate subject. 616.043 in Dewey
Linda Lee
May 13, 2013 Linda Lee rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, taken from the huge amount of published material and the twins (and thier family and friends)own correspondence.
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2013
Sandra Smith
Sandra Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2009
Anmol
Anmol rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2008
Fiona Endsley
Fiona Endsley rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2008
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2009
Claudine Taillac
Claudine Taillac rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2009
Hermann Gerzabek
Hermann Gerzabek rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Manuel G.
Manuel G. rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Frances Levy
Frances Levy rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2010
Buddy Stricker
Buddy Stricker rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2009
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
  • Sharon Tate: Recollection
  • Dreams and Echoes
  • The Long, Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora
  • Stonehenge Decoded
Irving Wallace was an American bestselling author and screenwriter. His extensively researched books included such page-turners as The Chapman Report (1960), about human sexuality; The Prize (1962), a fictional behind-the-scenes account of the Nobel Prizes; The Man, about a black man becoming president of the U.S. in the 1960s; and The Word (1972), about the discovery of a new gospel.

Wallace was b
More about Irving Wallace...